Gmg Blog: 2008 Media Days

Cerebus

I'll have a roster up later.

Anyone have any questions they would like answered?

Cerebus, are all the players that we expected to be there...on the roster? Hollivay? Jenkins?

Question to ask the coaches: Because of the lack of depth at d-line...any chance that we might go with a 3-4 this year?

SUMG, I really don't think that coaches will install a completely new defense because of some depth issues. A little short notice, don't you think? Especially since they are just learning DeLoach's system.

Now I guess there could be a specific package or two that features some different looks for certain situations, but I really doubt that a switch is even being considered.

Oh, I know we don't have time to go at it 100%...as overhauls like that, have to happen in the spring. I guess my question should be: Might we use the 3-4 in some situations? But, you're probably right....since we have everyone learning DeloachBall, that probably is out of the question, too.

We used the 3-4 in some situations last year. I would expect them to keep that, but the base is going to be a 4-3.

The roster I have is the one found in the media guide. It does have Hollivay, Jenkins and others such a Riley on it.

It is not a final camp roster and one won't be put out until sometime after the media day. I'll share that one as soon as I get it also.

Of course I am right. Didn't you see where Tasty awarded me helmet stickers for cleverness? What more evidence do you need!

Oh yeah? Well, those Dos Equis commercials about the most interesting man in the world...those are based on me.

Stay thirsty, my friends.

Edited by SUMG

I am sure Deloach's system has the flexibility to line up with three down linemen, either with a hybrid position or by personnel.

I just think that if your weakness is up front, you wouldn't want to be pulling a down lineman away. To stop the run, you have to control gaps, and going from 4 to 3 up front would only be giving more responsibility to your weakest position.

If you have four absolute studs behind them with size, strength and speed to control gaps and play football, or if you have a bowling ball for a nose guard that may or may not wear #92 and dominates both A gaps with ease, then that would be a different story.

You might want to ask some questions about the tight end position such as how much more often he will use it, what zones of the field or down and distances could we see it, and what kind of personnel will be in that role, someone who only gets reps there or a player who primarily plays another position, and what kind of role the tight end would play in the passing game as a receiver.

Question:

During offseason, who was the most improved player from each side of the ball?

I want to know who will have the glowing star pulsing at his feet as the designated playmaker.

Also, who can I expect to have green and yellow circles around them?

Has he scouted K-State? Who has red circles?

Will Franklin play OL or DL?

How have Scoggins, DeSoto and Russo progressed and does he seem them contributing this year?

Will Charlie Brown stay at DT or be moved to DE with the absence of Horton and Gilmore?

Plans for the incoming freshmen...who redshirts and who does he see contributing right away?

Does he think the fans of NT are MFer's?

Edited by UNTLifer