What I'd Like To Hear Thes ( Sun Belt ) Coaches Say

MeanGreen61

I have to agree with you. If he is not backup QB, he will playing another position.

Backup is fine. Everyone wants to redshirt Riley so that he can develop and Vizza gets another year, but what if Vizza goes down with an injury? We'd be toast, because I don't think Meager can run this offense.

North Texas Todd Dodge: "We didn't win a lot of games, but we made a lot of progress last year."

How about, "My boy (Riley) is going to riddle every secondary in the Sun Belt."

Dodge's son was one of the top QB prospects in Texas last year.

http://www.dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...311/1006/SPORTS

Funny stuff actually! You can tell they are having fun with the off-season too!

North Texas Todd Dodge: "We didn't win a lot of games, but we made a lot of progress last year."

http://www.dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...311/1006/SPORTS

We'd be toast, because I don't think Meager can run this offense.

Let's see Meager vs FAU 62.3% 301 yards passing 466 total off. yards.The team that won the Sunbelt

Vizza vs FIU 57.4% 228 yards passing 344 total off. The bottom of the Sunbelt

Making great progress.

Edited by KBJ

Let's see Meager vs FAU 62.3% 301 yards passing 466 total off. yards.The team that won the Sunbelt

Vizza vs FIU 57.4% 228 yards passing 344 total off. The bottom of the Sunbelt

Making great progress.

While we're throwing out stats.

Vizza vs. Navy: 8 td's

Meager vs. SMU: 601 yds

They both can play.

Of course here's another stat:

Head Coaches who see Vizza as the starter: 1

Backup is fine. Everyone wants to redshirt Riley so that he can develop and Vizza gets another year, but what if Vizza goes down with an injury? We'd be toast, because I don't think Meager can run this offense.

Surely your kidding? If Vizza gets hurt DM will be the only other experienced QB that has had any bit of success at all in this offense.

Rick

--- Guess you did not see the SMU game with Meager at QB, which set the all-time passing record for one game... He did not lose the game... The defense gave up wa-a-ay too many points.

Surely your kidding? If Vizza gets hurt DM will be the only other experienced QB that has had any bit of success at all in this offense.

Rick

Well call me crazy, but if Vizza were to get hurt (some of would be how hurt) I think I will take my chances with Riley over Meager only because if he is not going to redshirt, then it would give him more experience in the college game.

Yup, I'd call that crazy.

Rick

I'll second that.

Riley playing next year would be essentially the same thing as the Rangers going out and totally screwing up their farm system to bring in another starter for the second half this year. Are we really that concerned in year two the Dodge experience that people want to burn up a year of UNT's most significant recent recruit's eligibility. Next season, as much as we are all eagerly anticipating progress, is not going to be this teams breakout year. In all reality we're at least one more season away from having a roster, top to bottom, suited to execute the playbook.

I'm my opinion, to throw Riley out there this season (especially at any position other than QB) would be pure shortsighted lunacy.

Edited by Green P1

Yup, I'd call that crazy.

Rick

I guess I am a little crazy then. Sure he is a freshman, but so was Vizza last year. I am just thinking from the standpoint if he is not going to be redshirted, and Vizza went down with a serious injury, why not? What is the difference in him playing as a freshman and Vizza playing as a freshman? What if Vizza went down with a career ending injury - would you play Riley then?

What if Vizza went down with a career ending injury - would you play Riley then?

No? What would be the purpose in that? DM BEAT OUT Vizza when it was a competition last August. He's perfectly capabable in this system. He's proven he can make his reads, move the chains and score and he's our MOST veteran QB in the stable.

Rick

No? What would be the purpose in that? DM BEAT OUT Vizza when it was a competition last August. He's perfectly capabable in this system. He's proven he can make his reads, move the chains and score and he's our MOST veteran QB in the stable.

Rick

I guess the purpose of it would be that Riley is the future (in the case of a career ending injury to Vizza), not a backup senior. But as I said earlier, I may be a little crazy in what I would do.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

I am just thinking from the standpoint if he is not going to be redshirted

Why would you be thinking from that standpoint? What is one good thing that can come from burning a year of his eligibility?

Edited by Green P1

Rick

[/quote

Rick, what did you expect? Your the expert on this board. Did you honestly believe a true freshman was going to "beat out" Daniel Meager in August after being in the system only 3 weeks and facing OU in the opener? Your a genius for sure. DM deserved to start, he went through the spring, he had college experience, and deserved the right to start the season.

Meager was going to start last season no matter if we had Riley or Ryan Mallett. Its obvious you love DM and do not Vizza and you have every right to feel that way. Just don't tell me that DM beat out anybody in August, that was a gimme.

I am here to tell you that DM is a very capable QB. He might be the best practice player of all time. But Rick, why did one of the most respected QB coaches ever in Texas, go with a freakin freshman? You too KBJ, why did one of the best QB coaches go with a freshman? There must be something there, that none of us knows or we are too blind to see.

We don't see hard work at practice or in the weight room, we don't have access to who puts in the time in the film room, we don't know which players' respect and who leads at practice. We don't know who has mental and physical toughness. TD does, Coach Ford and Deloach do. But we surely don't........well maybe Rick and KBJ do.

I know what I have seen from DM being on campus and on the field the last three or four years. Great young man. But being that won't get him past one Riley Dodge as the starter.

Comparing stats from FAU vs. FIU is like comparing our win over ULM with ULM's win over Alabama. It doesn't make a crap. Rain, style of team, game plan, playing at home vs. playing the last game at the Orange Bowl. You can't compare that KBJ.

Meager, Vizza, or Dodge are all capable. One is going to start. Two are going to sit. The two that sit are going to be everyone's favorite bench player.

I really believe that its all wide open. Dodge will again determine what is best for his team in August and then again throughout the season. For the Meager family, aka KBJ, and for Rick, I hope Danny starts. But for the rest of the mean green nation, I hope one QB comes out way ahead and we ride him home for the rest of the season.

Just like Riley coming in and starting this season, Dodge will take his time and insert Riley as he did Vizza, slowly but surely. No RICKY, Riley will not beat out DM or anyone else in August. It doesn't work that way. TD is way too smart to start a true freshman at Manhatten or at Baton Rouge.

Edited by nautique

One Todd Dodge Jr. (called Riley by his family and friends) is a QB, period and end of story. This isn't SLC and high school ball where he will play slot. This guy will play QB, and that is it. Can you envision Riley going over the middle for a pass? Nah, me neither.

Why would the best QB prospect EVER, as most have posted, ever play another position than QB?

Rick, what did you expect? Your the expert on this board. Did you honestly believe a true freshman was going to "beat out" Daniel Meager in August after being in the system only 3 weeks and facing OU in the opener? Your a genius for sure. DM deserved to start, he went through the spring, he had college experience, and deserved the right to start the season.

Meager was going to start last season no matter if we had Riley or Ryan Mallett. Its obvious you love DM and do not Vizza and you have every right to feel that way. Just don't tell me that DM beat out anybody in August, that was a gimme.

I am here to tell you that DM is a very capable QB. He might be the best practice player of all time. But Rick, why did one of the most respected QB coaches ever in Texas, go with a freakin freshman? You too KBJ, why did one of the best QB coaches go with a freshman? There must be something there, that none of us knows or we are too blind to see.

We don't see hard work at practice or in the weight room, we don't have access to who puts in the time in the film room, we don't know which players' respect and who leads at practice. We don't know who has mental and physical toughness. TD does, Coach Ford and Deloach do. But we surely don't........well maybe Rick and KBJ do.

I know what I have seen from DM being on campus and on the field the last three or four years. Great young man. But being that won't get him past one Riley Dodge as the starter.

Comparing stats from FAU vs. FIU is like comparing our win over ULM with ULM's win over Alabama. It doesn't make a crap. Rain, style of team, game plan, playing at home vs. playing the last game at the Orange Bowl. You can't compare that KBJ.

Meager, Vizza, or Dodge are all capable. One is going to start. Two are going to sit. The two that sit are going to be everyone's favorite bench player.

I really believe that its all wide open. Dodge will again determine what is best for his team in August and then again throughout the season. For the Meager family, aka KBJ, and for Rick, I hope Danny starts. But for the rest of the mean green nation, I hope one QB comes out way ahead and we ride him home for the rest of the season.

Just like Riley coming in and starting this season, Dodge will take his time and insert Riley as he did Vizza, slowly but surely. No RICKY, Riley will not beat out DM or anyone else in August. It doesn't work that way. TD is way too smart to start a true freshman at Manhatten or at Baton Rouge.

It was reported here on GMG.com that Danny Meager was the starter for the entire year AFTER the August '07 two-a-day evaluations. The reason given was... "Because "I" didn't want him to be looking over his shoulder throughout the year", Unfortunately that was the qoute of the most respected QB coach ever in Texas, not mine. So I'm now confused. Am I to believe our coaching staff, or ...................the uninformed? :wacko:

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Rick, this is some good dialogue. Dodge stated the obvious to the media when asked about how he handles his QB's (considering the prior regime of one DD). Dodge spoke right out of the college handbook of coaching about dealing with the media and player controversies. You know it and I know it.

DM didn't have to look over his back to see what was coming. A young kid just cut in line and said F.U.

I'm coming to believe that your not so sold on TD. You could be right. Maybe TD made the biggest blunder ever last season. I wonder how the team felt about the change? I guess I shouldn't have asked you that because you probably already know.

I tell you what, lets start a campaign on this board to start Danny and see if we can get TD to change his mind on starting Riley.

Better yet, lets get your take of the Dodge hire now and see where that lies. Please feel free to speak your mind because I doubt Todd will chase you down on the field, ala Mendoza.

Edited by nautique

Rick, this is some good dialogue. Dodge stated the obvious to the media when asked about how he handles his QB's (considering the prior regime of one DD). Dodge spoke right out of the college handbook of coaching about dealing with the media and player controversies. You know it and I know it.

DM didn't have to look over his back to see what was coming. A young kid just cut in line and said F.U.

I'm coming to believe that your not so sold on TD. You could be right. Maybe TD made the biggest blunder ever last season. I wonder how the team felt about the change? I guess I shouldn't have asked you that because you probably already know.

I tell you what, lets start a campaign on this board to start Danny and see if we can get TD to change his mind on starting Riley.

Better yet, lets get your take of the Dodge hire now and see where that lies. Please feel free to speak your mind because I doubt Todd will chase you down on the field, ala Mendoza.

No, this is not good dialogue. It's an anonymous internet troll (you) implying someone else (me) said something when I didn't simply because your too childish to accept the fact that I disagree with you.

Rick

No Rick you did say something, you basically said that Dodge hosed Meager and that he was not a man of his word.

I have never seen a quote from Dodge that said Danny won the job and was going to be the starter forever and ever amen. What makes you the hall monitor for Dodge's philosphy and how he handles his business?

You must have been the hall monitor in elementary school.

Just like Vizza, he doesn't own the job, it's not his. Vizza has no right to assume he is going to start and play in 2008. Coach Dodge determines who plays and who sits. All coaches give politically correct statements and you have a problem with that. Rick you can love DM, you can hate Vizza, but what it boils down to is you don't know crap about the happenings and situations from the inside. You and I know NOTHING about TD's decisions and the inner workings of the team and moral.

You and I know nothing about what happens inside the lines and in film sessions. Giving Meager or Vizza the job because he "doesn't want them looking ove their shoulder" is nothing but text book 101, head coach, bull shit.

TD will play the best period. It will be Riley this season or next but it won't be because he didn't keep his word. Of all the people and with the job you hold, you should understand the company "line" and what is and what is not, said to the media.

Rick and Brett Vito should lead the lynch mobbing of the staff, the AD, Mandy, and all those who don't play by Rick's rules and who give politically correct statements.

Edited by nautique