Thoughts On Danny Meager

emmitt01

It seems that every preview, article, or blog I read about North Texas says something along the lines of "True freshman Giovanni Vizza was great in spots last season but made freshman mistakes. If he doesn't show more consistency highly touted freshman, and coach's son, Riley Dodge is waiting in the wings."

As much as I have knocked Meager in the past, and I still think Gio is our starter, aren't they (we) all forgetting someone? My preference, should Giovanni get hurt...crosses fingers...or play himself out of the top spot, would be for Danny Meager to be our guy. Say what you will about the man but he has earned at least that much (I say "man" because, despite being benched a few games into the season and virtually written off by fans and media, he came back and was there for spring ball doing what he could for his team. He didn't have to do that.)

I couldn't agree more. Meager has earned the rigth to be the #2 guy regardless of what people say about him. People forget the fact he threw for over 600 yds...in one game...in this system. He is MORE than capable to be a backup on this team.

Secondly...regardless of what people believe Dodge really needs to redshirt. This is regardless of how well he knows dad's offense, as I know people are going to say that he has been playing in the system since he left the hospital as a baby, BUT he has not been playing at the college level, and the system has been tweeked since being brought from Carrol. The guy still weighs like 180 lbs wet. He needs to build some muscle on what frame he does have, so he can be the most effective player he can be when it is his turn in 2011.

To burn his redshirt to be a backup would be the worst possible situation for this program. WORST POSSIBLE SITUATION for the PROGRAM. Notice I did not say for Riley, Todge, or anyone else, I said the PROGRAM.

I couldn't agree more. Meager has earned the rigth to be the #2 guy regardless of what people say about him. People forget the fact he threw for over 600 yds...in one game...in this system. He is MORE than capable to be a backup on this team.

Secondly...regardless of what people believe Dodge really needs to redshirt. This is regardless of how well he knows dad's offense, as I know people are going to say that he has been playing in the system since he left the hospital as a baby, BUT he has not been playing at the college level, and the system has been tweeked since being brought from Carrol. The guy still weighs like 180 lbs wet. He needs to build some muscle on what frame he does have, so he can be the most effective player he can be when it is his turn in 2011.

To burn his redshirt to be a backup would be the worst possible situation for this program. WORST POSSIBLE SITUATION for the PROGRAM. Notice I did not say for Riley, Todge, or anyone else, I said the PROGRAM.

I agree with the Riley redshirt year, but fear a poor start to the season will see Todd tearing the redshirt off him. Meager is capable if Vizza goes down and Tune should be given consideration as a backup too. He performed well in the spring.

Not that we will, but even if we were to go 0-fer, Riley still redshirts. It goes back to want is best for the long term goals of the program.

No one is realistically forecasting us to do big things this year. Hell, most green-tea drinkers would even be happy with a 5-6 win season. There is, as we all seem to agree, no reason not to redshirt Riley this year

--Thre is no reason to not red-shirt Riley. There is enough talent available now and no need to burn up a year of his elgibility. Besides he is unlikely to leave for the NFL unlike some players do who leave that have a lot of talent and size (Riley is too short for NFL). He should sit this one out and then have four more years and can use the last one to start/get a masters degree as others have done.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Back in 2003, starting at QB for the University of Texas was Chance Mock. When things didn't go well, it wasn't backup QB, Matt Nordgren, that everyone thought could turn things around, it was RS Freshman, Vince Young. Now, I'm not comparing Riley to VY but he is the most highly touted QB recruit we've had in a long time, if not ever. Prepare yourselves now, if we lose a few games (and we will) and if Giovanni throws a few ill-advised passes (and he will) people will start asking to see Riley because they will want to see if he's the real deal. You only have to look to last season for an example.

I agree that Meager is a very capable back-up and I'm glad we have him. I also hope to see Riley redshirt because I don't see that his talents are that superior to Vizza's (meaning I don't think Riley at QB will be the difference in a win or a loss) to warrant burning a redshirt. The other factor is Riley's injury last year. I think the extra time off from the gameday hits will assure that he's 100% healed. Besides, even the great Vince Young needed a redshirt to help him adjust from the high school game to the college game. Now, if Riley playing meant the dfference between a three-win season and a six-win season, I'll buy my ticket on the Riley bandwagon right now. I don't know that our recruiting can endure another 2 or 3 win season right now, especially with the increased competition JJ is now giving us over at SMU.

One more note on Meager - I don't know what his post-graduate plans are right now, but I think he'd make a hell of a coach and I'd love to see him on the sidelines next year as a GA. He's shown an incredible ability to learn and be taught different schemes and different offenses and the best learners generally make the best teachers.

Hopefully not an issue. Giovanni starts, Meager at #2, Tune at #3.... Riley Dodge Red-shirts and competes for the job next year. My only question... will Danny be okay with going into workouts knowing he is #2 at best, and possibly a #3? Should make for an interesting fall.

GMG!!!

Hopefully not an issue. Giovanni starts, Meager at #2, Tune at #3.... Riley Dodge Red-shirts and competes for the job next year. My only question... will Danny be okay with going into workouts knowing he is #2 at best, and possibly a #3? Should make for an interesting fall.

GMG!!!

It is very similar to last year when Meager was the anointed starter but we all knew we had this freshman Vizza waiting to take over, only a matter of time and when. We all wanted the kid to be the miracle answer QB we needed. If things go south this season and stay there past 0-4 then there will be calls for a new miracle-worker.

It is very similar to last year when Meager was the anointed starter but we all knew we had this freshman Vizza waiting to take over, only a matter of time and when. We all wanted the kid to be the miracle answer QB we needed. If things go south this season and stay there past 0-4 then there will be calls for a new miracle-worker.

In my opinion, if UNT opens 0-4, it will not be because of QB play.

Meager just might slip in and beat them all out, you just never know at this level. I bet he is working his ass off to prove he's the man.

Was this an intentional set up?

In my opinion, if UNT opens 0-4, it will not be because of QB play.

Exactly, it will be because (on paper at least) we will have only lost to 1 team that we were supposed to possibly beat. LSU, Tulsa, and K-State will all be favorites. Vizza won't be the issue.