Unt Lands First 2009 Recruit

Harry

UNT lands first recruit for 2009

5:06 PM Thu, Jun 19, 2008 | Permalink

Brett Vito E-mail News tips

Alex Tweedy, a wide receiver from The Woodlands, has committed to UNT, according to Dave Campbell's Texas Football. Tweedy had offers from Army, Navy and Colorado State and had received interest from Northwestern.

This is a relief. I really thought we might not win many games for lack of WR's.

LOL...I'm right there with you and not the least bit surprised our first commit is a WR. I'm also noticing we're looking a bit like SLC in the WR position...and I'm not talking about position quantity.

Article from DCTF.

Far too often a football career ends in a snap.

For some it's in the knee. For others, an elbow. Occasionally it's in the ankle. But it always echoes like a gunshot, mortally wounding the hopes of a young kid who, more than anything, just wanted to play ball.

Alex Tweedy was almost another casualty.

The Woodlands WR heard his fateful snap in his leg when he broke it in seven-on-seven play this spring; suddenly, a Texas Top 300 player was lost for the year (and maybe forever) in a silly summer tournament that counts for little more than bragging rights and off-season conditioning. All the BCS interest he was getting evaporated, and the senior-to-be was left sitting on little more than reputation. Ironically, that happened to be enough.

Over at North Texas, the Dodge family was talking. Riley, coach Todd Dodge's son and soon-to-be collegiate quarterback, remembered Tweedy vividly from, in another noteworthy irony, a seven-on-seven game in 2007. According to Matt Malatesta of Rivals.com, Riley said if he had one wideout to throw to, it would be Tweedy. That was enough for the elder Dodge, and the scholarship offer went out in the mail. Needless to say, Tweedy accepted.