Will It Happen?

emmitt01

My hope is that part of this process involves merging TWU into UNT. UNT could certainly push that issue in it's favor as a way to maintain it's system, increase it's flagship campus' capacity greatly, and serve the purpose to discontinue duplication so close together.

---TWU was the sister school of A&M when they were one gender colleges. I think it is pulling money from the University Land system.. Merging may make some sense but financially it may not. The State would have to look elsewhere for money to operate that campus if it merged with us.. I doubt that it will happen, they regularly add colleges to that Unv. Land group, not remove them. More may be added if oil prices stay the same or continue to climb which is growing that fund a lot. .

--$14 ?... gee we could spend that much on sunglasses just to research the girls on campus without just obviously staring.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we should close down the university. If we're only doing $14 in research then I may as well start a university in my house. :P

There is no way that is the correct number. None. I will contact the research and grants office and get the real numbers.

(and I think he meant 14 million, but that is way to low)

Merging TWU with UNT would be pretty interesting and a great move if in the end UNT would be the name of it. But doesn't the state give special or extra benefits to TWU since they are a womans only unversity? As far as growing the UNT system, I think absorbing Midwestern State in Wichita Falls would be a heck of a move and in an area that is growing pretty well. I think putting a campus in Amarillo would be a great move as well since I dont think there is a big college or university there but I could be wrong.

There is no way that is the correct number. None. I will contact the research and grants office and get the real numbers.

(and I think he meant 14 million, but that is way to low)

Ok, so UNT pulled in about 24 million last year in sponsored projects. A little higher than the 14 million figure, I am also not sure all grants and awards are considered in this number. More as I get it.

Merging TWU with UNT would be pretty interesting and a great move if in the end UNT would be the name of it. But doesn't the state give special or extra benefits to TWU since they are a womans only unversity? As far as growing the UNT system, I think absorbing Midwestern State in Wichita Falls would be a heck of a move and in an area that is growing pretty well. I think putting a campus in Amarillo would be a great move as well since I dont think there is a big college or university there but I could be wrong.

TWU is not a womens only institution.

A TWU/UNT merger has been back room talked before, however the alumni givers at TWU would go ballistic.

It doesn't make sense for a town of Denton's size to have TWO universities and the overheard that goes along.

Maybe when the THECB gets consolidation rolling this will happen.

more women on campus = more title 9 sports... I don't know what I am saying. :unsure:

Edited by filmerj

TWU is not a womens only institution.

A TWU/UNT merger has been back room talked before, however the alumni givers at TWU would go ballistic.

It doesn't make sense for a town of Denton's size to have TWO universities and the overheard that goes along.

Maybe when the THECB gets consolidation rolling this will happen.

Oh I know it was not womens only...I believe 3% male? I was just saying that since that is their emphasis and a female only institution, I was thinking perhaps they get any extra grants or incentives because of that.

Filmerj,

I believe their womens gymnastics team won the national championship a few years ago...I know its womens gymnastics but I would not mind having a UNT national championship in that :)

Well, of course, I meant million, and I think that was obvious in the context of the sentence. But, if you didn't get that, I meant million.

The figures I gave were research expenditures.

I have not gathered the sponsored revenue figures, but, usually, it is higher than research expenditures. $24 million in sponsored projects sounds reasonable and in the ball park for UNT. Sponsored revenue is a more comprehensive measure of an institution's success in gathering external funding to support research, public service, training, and other activities. If we are comparing sponsored research, we'd have to scale-up all the numbers I have presented previously for UT Arlington, Austin, and A&M. The relative relationships would be about the same, however.

Both research expenditures and sponsored revenue are important metrics. A third one that is looked at heavily is federal research funding.

Okay, to give an idea, for UT Arlington in 2007:

Total research expenditures $40 million

Sponsored revenue $55 million

Federal research expenditures $20 million

All of this is available at my (our) fingertips, because the UT System measures and rapidly publishes this, and much more.

Another campus of interest, UT San Antonio in 2007:

Total research expenditures $32 million

Sponsored revenue $73 million

Federal research expenditures $22 million

A lot of people weight Federal as pretty significant because 1) it's all competitive, and 2) it's capturing federal dollars for Texas.

--Anyone seen the Sonic commercial about the guy wanting to have the last word???

Those Sonic commercials are PURE GENIUS! When they first started those...there were some that were absolutely hillarious. I need to find them on youtube and if I find them I will post those links on here for everyone to see. Their marketing is wonderful.

Anyone heard anything about a new stadium project over on the Eagle Point campus?

I hear we are throwing as many as 6 of our 14 research dollars* into a feasibility study.

The study is in a silent phase right now, so thats why no one has ever heard of it, or ever will.

* Don't worry, Dr. B made sure to use the 6 most unwrinkled dollars, the good soda machine usable ones, in order to impress the public.

I hear we are throwing as many as 6 of our 14 research dollars* into a feasibility study.

The study is in a silent phase right now, so thats why no one has ever heard of it, or ever will.

* Don't worry, Dr. B made sure to use the 6 most unwrinkled dollars, the good soda machine usable ones, in order to impress the public.

The problem was she used one new dollar bill and a brand new five that the old machine wouldn't recognize. It took forever for us to get out chips from slot AA that afternoon.

The problem was she used one new dollar bill and a brand new five that the old machine wouldn't recognize. It took forever for us to get out chips from slot AA that afternoon.

Shut it! That is all super secret stadium study information.

You will never get to see another of those super awesome informational binders again.

On a side note, I really like that Dr. B took the time to write the title in glue and then sprinkle glitter on that glue, for each and every one of those binders, by hand.

Though the title could have used a little more work: "Our Totally Not Imaginary Plans for a Totally Boss Stadium (and not a lame one like those snots at SMU)"

Also, the the could have used a green My Little Pony sticker, it would have been a nice touch.

I think the wheels are in motion on the fundraising campaign.

While exiting off of I-35 near campus...I saw a bum holding a sign that read:

Homeless Viet Nam Vet. Will Work for UNT Stadium Donation. God Bless You.

That's phase two of the campaign.

SUMG said:
I think the wheels are in motion on the fundraising campaign.

While exiting off of I-35 near campus...I saw a bum holding a sign that read:

Homeless Viet Nam Vet. Will Work for UNT Stadium Donation. God Bless You.

That's phase two of the campaign.

Combine the two of these, for 10 years, and we might just have enough to start some dirt work (of course gas by that time will be $10 per gallon). Great work guys. Let's see if we can find out what else our admins are doing to raise the money. And I have to believe these two ideas are far more faster than asking our alumni for donations.