Gomeangreen.com Bowl V

medpilot21

Okay MeanGreener's... here are the dates and rules. Most of us have done this enough times by now that we know the drill by heart. As always, if you have any questions, please PM me and I will address them as quickly as I can. Let's have some fun and here's to another great game!!! Harry or Loro... please pin this for us.

GoMeanGreen.com Bowl V - April 13th at 2:00pm, Fouts Field.

2008 GMG Bowl Committee:

Commish: Steve Thomas (Medpilot21)

UNT Athletic Department coordinator: Brian Bethea

Shirt design and game day coordinator: Melissa Dolan (LadyGreen)

Money collection and shirt handout: Chris Thomas

(Special thanks to Kit for the art design work)

White Team Captain: Emmitt Jackson (Emmitt01)

Green Team Captain: Rick McKinney (FirefightnRick)

Honorary Captains: Harry (GMG Board Founder) and Tillman Strahan (North Texas and Talon Alum)

Game Official: As always, our own MeanGreen Ref. Texas Stranger

TIMELINE

March 15th (Saturday) - Draft BIOS and game shirt sizes due. (board names only on back of shirts)

March 16th (Sunday night - 7:00) - Live draft on GMG board.

March 17th (Monday) - Shirt orders placed at 10:00am. (all approved player trades will be final at that time)

April 12th (Saturday) - North Texas Spring Football Game at Fouts Field

April 12th (Saturday night) - FOD walk Fouts Field - measurements for flag football field.

April 13th (Sunday) - GoMeanGreen.com Bowl V - 2:00pm at Fouts Field.

Gameday - April 13th:

1:00 - Shirt handout and money collected

1:30 - Teams take the field for warm-up

1:50 - Coin Toss and rules discussion (Texas Stranger, honorary and Team Captains)

1:55 - Moment of silence in remembrance of Andrew Smith

2:00 - Kickoff

2:25 - halftime

2:35 - second half kickoff

3:00 - game ends

3:05 - Game Trophy presented - pictures taken

3:10 - Game MVP award

3:15 - drawing for Andrew Smith framed picture

Game info:

Fees for game, shirt, trophy, etc...: $25.00

Additional drawing for Andrew Smith Framed Watercolor: $5.00 per entry (remember it's a fund-raiser for the A.S. scholarship fund)

Shirts will be handed out at 1:00pm, and all money is collected at that time. Winner of the Andrew Smith picture will be draw at the end of the game by Harry.

Winning team trophy and MVP award right after game.

Pictures taken after awards will be posted on the GMG board.

FFR will have BBQ available after the game. (Thanks again Rick)

Draft Rules

(Draft begins with the white-team selecting first. As in Chess, the white moves first. I do this every year...captains usually rotate, so should be fair)

1. The selections will be a normal draft, meaning each captain takes the player of their own choice. The draft will continue until there are no draft-eligible players remaining on the roster. All eligible players will be selected.

2. All players taking the field on gameday must have been drafted during the live draft. Late roster additions may be allowed, but must be approved by BOTH captains, then myself.

3. Women will be drafted first, as usual... then the guys.

4. The captains may discuss player trades at the end of the draft. Trades are allowed as long as the teams are kept relatively equal. I retain the right to reject a trade if it appears to make the teams un-even. (Has never happened in five years?) Prior years trades were all fair and all went but one.

Game rules

Most rules (such as blocking) will be discussed at the coin-toss by Texas Stranger and the captains. As most of us have played this game many times, we all have a pretty good idea of what we can and cannot do. Here are some basics for the game:

1. All questions about the actual game-play should be discussed with your captain so he may discuss it with the Ref.

Reminder - all calls and decisions made by the ref on the field are final. No questions or complaints about a call may be made directly to the official.

2. Only team captains may call the ref over for clarification of a call made on the field. The officials word is final.

3. A female player must play QB at least one series in each half. Females must be on the field at the same time. In cases of an odd number of female players, the captains will rotate accordingly to ensure everyone gets playing time.

4. The flag belts must be worn by all players at all times on the field. Should a player lose the belt while running, they remain eligible receivers but are considered "down" at the point of the catch.

RINGERS

1. Former players are certainly welcome in this game as they are also alums, and to us they are special. However, the presence of a Division-I scholarship athlete on one team can substantially affect the outcome of the game. To ensure fairness, I am enacting the "GoodSheppard-Clause". A former scholarship athlete may certainly play, but the other team must also have a ringer on the field to balance the talent level. Both ringers must be on the field at the same time, but they do not have to line up against one another. If one team has a ringer and the other team does not?, the Ringer may still play, but the team with the ringer will drop one player from the field and play a man short for that time. Anyone who played in the first GMG game, or played last year understands why this is a necessary rule. We love having our star athletes out there having fun with us, but being "poster-ized" by them over and over gets a little frustrating. This rule is for the sole purpose of fairness and team balance.

That's it for now. Get your BIOS in with the shirt sizes by the date listed and let's have another great time out there!!!! Special thanks again to Harry for making this whole thing possible, and for giving all of us a place to talk Mean Green Sports year round!!!!

GMG!!!

What if it is a former scholarship athlete that didnt play football? I am referring to my roommate, Justin Barnett... If he wants to play do we need to find another scholarship athlete? Not sure if he is playing but if we do have to find another scholly, we might not waste the time...

RINGERS

Anyone who played in the first GMG game, or played last year understands why this is a necessary rule. We love having our star athletes out there having fun with us, but being "poster-ized" by them over and over gets a little frustrating. This rule is for the sole purpose of fairness and team balance.

GMG!!!

I want to know what's happened last year :lol:

I want to know what's happened last year :lol:

Andy Blount ran all over the white team. He was everywhere. You could tell a major difference between average Joe and scholarship athlete. Nobody really got close enough to even pull his flag. It didn't matter if he caught a short pass or a deep throw, there was no stopping him. I didn't mind too much, Green Team would have won anyways.

Poor Emmitt just can't win.

Andy Blount ran all over the white team. He was everywhere. You could tell a major difference between average Joe and scholarship athlete. Nobody really got close enough to even pull his flag. It didn't matter if he caught a short pass or a deep throw, there was no stopping him. I didn't mind too much, Green Team would have won anyways.

Poor Emmitt just can't win.

Haha.. it's already started!!! As for Justin Barnett, the rule is really in place for scholarship football players, but track athletes might also have an advantage. I dont think a 6-10 basketball player would likely run a 4.5 - 40? JB is welcome without activating the "GoodSheppard" rule. However, I still see a possible advantage in an end-zone "Jump-Ball" situation????.....hehe. This will be a lot of fun!!!

GMG!!!

ONE POWERHOUSE OF A CORPULENT AMERICAN!!!!!

Yes folks, you will be amazed at the football prowess of a man who is not only overaged, but overweight as well. Even though I have scored touchdowns in three of the previous bowl games, I now get truly winded just tying my shoes. The first amazing feat of endurance for me will consist of making it from my car to the field. So I suggest you get your seats early, because this does not be happen every day.

Once on the field, I should be able to block well due to the fact that it will take at least twenty seconds just to go around me. Also, the football should naturally be attracted to my hands due to sheer gravitational pull. This, of course will be an unfair advantage on my part. This is why it is imperative that I even the playing field (so to speak), so I will only be physically able to run five yards before being in desperate need of an oxygen mask. I also vow to only hork on non-playing areas.

My arteries are clogging with excitement at the thought of this game!

Hey is a preview of the shirts for this year available??

The design is in progress now. Mellissa is taking care of this one. I'm sure she will post it here once we've final-okayed it. I think Kit is doing the artwork again this year. His designs have always been good ones.

GMG!!!

For those of us that have prior futbol obligations on Sundays is there an address we can mail a donation to? No shirt needed.

Edited by adman

For those of us that have prior futbol obligations on Sundays is there an address we can mail a donation to? No shirt needed.

Just send it to me. Write the check to "UNT Athletic Department", and put "Andrew Smith Fund" in the comment at the bottom.

Mailing address:

Steve Thomas

3615 Coker St. #103

Irving, Texas 75060

Thanks for the donation!

Med

• 1 month later...