Other Uses For A New Football Stadium?

eulessismore

i personally think that is a fantastic idea. The SMHM school needs one of those to find a larger identity in the field which it is desperately trying to do. Raddison is refusing to spend any money on the denton property because it doesn't generate enough revenue to make it an economically viable idea. Naming rights would be good due to the oft mentioned highway location and with this idea not only does the athletic program get a donor that it desperately needs (Hilton, Marriott, Holiday Inn, etc) and so would the SMHM school! It would be a win win for all involved and not only would it help the athletic program it would also help the young, up and coming, and increasingly more respected SMHM school!

Now could we find a hotel chain willing to spend that kind of money? that is a totally different question.

I like the idea. Then the Raddison could be torn down ... or converted into high $$$ dorms?

QUOTE(untcampbell @ Feb 26 2008, 06:37 AM)

When North Texas added its school of hospitality management (hotel/restaurant), I proposed building a U-shaped stadium and filling the open end with a hotel. All guests staying on the stadium side of the building are included in attendance. Each room has a balcony, and Marriott or Hilton pays for part of the building of the stadium. Can you say naming rights?

i personally think that is a fantastic idea. The SMHM school needs one of those to find a larger identity in the field which it is desperately trying to do. Raddison is refusing to spend any money on the denton property because it doesn't generate enough revenue to make it an economically viable idea. Naming rights would be good due to the oft mentioned highway location and with this idea not only does the athletic program get a donor that it desperately needs (Hilton, Marriott, Holiday Inn, etc) and so would the SMHM school! It would be a win win for all involved and not only would it help the athletic program it would also help the young, up and coming, and increasingly more respected SMHM school!

Now could we find a hotel chain willing to spend that kind of money? that is a totally different question.

I was thinking that this concept existed already at the Texas Motor Speedway. Looking at their website though, I don't see any reference to a hotel at the Speedway. I do wonder if such a combination of facilities might allow for more creative financing, since the hotel/motel would be used as a teaching facility. One place I found where there is some academic use of the football stadium is UNC at Chapel Hill, North Carolina (I was there in Chapel Hill last October on the day of a football game-for a wedding reception-very heavy traffic in the vicinity). Here's a link:

Kenan Stadium, UNC Chapel Hill

Oh, another link, apparently showing how they handled giving out general admission tickets to a Bruce Springsteen concert in September, 2003. I think providing such amenitites to students is only reasonable if they are to be asked to share the cost of building a new stadium.

Handling of General Admission Concert Tickets at the UNC Stadium

Edited by eulessismore

I was thinking that this concept existed already at the Texas Motor Speedway. Looking at their website though, I don't see any reference to a hotel at the Speedway. I do wonder if such a combination of facilities might allow for more creative financing, since the hotel/motel would be used as a teaching facility. One place I found where there is some academic use of the football stadium is UNC at Chapel Hill, North Carolina (I was there in Chapel Hill last October on the day of a football game-for a wedding reception-very heavy traffic in the vicinity). Here's a link:

Kenan Stadium, UNC Chapel Hill

That is one gorgeous stadium. The trees help. It's also no 35,000 seat, $60M stadium either.

When North Texas added its school of hospitality management (hotel/restaurant), I proposed building a U-shaped stadium and filling the open end with a hotel. All guests staying on the stadium side of the building are included in attendance. Each room has a balcony, and Marriott or Hilton pays for part of the building of the stadium. Can you say naming rights?

QUOTE(hickoryhouse @ Feb 27 2008, 08:51 PM)

QUOTE(eulessismore @ Feb 27 2008, 09:28 PM) I was thinking that this concept existed already at the Texas Motor Speedway. Looking at their website though, I don't see any reference to a hotel at the Speedway. I do wonder if such a combination of facilities might allow for more creative financing, since the hotel/motel would be used as a teaching facility. One place I found where there is some academic use of the football stadium is UNC at Chapel Hill, North Carolina (I was there in Chapel Hill last October on the day of a football game-for a wedding reception-very heavy traffic in the vicinity). Here's a link:

http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/facilities/unc...adium.htmlKenan Stadium, UNC Chapel Hill

That is one gorgeous stadium. The trees help. It's also no 35,000 seat, $60M stadium either.

No, but it wasn't all built in one phase either...yes the trees are beautiful, but beautiful trees can grow in Denton. I, for one, believe this stadium could be landscaped in a way that enhanced the beauty of the Denton area.

http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/facilities/unc...adium.htmlKenan Stadium, UNC Chapel Hill

No, but it wasn't all built in one phase either...yes the trees are beautiful, but beautiful trees can grow in Denton. I, for one, believe this stadium could be landscaped in a way that enhanced the beauty of the Denton area.

As for a transit hub, I think it will be no more than a bus stop for the DCTA and UNT shuttles. You can't really justify the cost of cutting a rail line to the stadium. If anything, I'd rather see one go through the east side of campus.[/quote]

There's already a rail line over there. It runs between the Liberty Christian property and I-35. It crosses Bonnie Brae just below Willowwood street.

There is another rail line that comes up from Fort Worth that runs to the east of downtown. Hickory, Sycamore and Prairie eventually cross it on the other side of Bell Ave.

Edited by SilverEagle

There's already a rail line over there. It runs between the Liberty Christian property and I-35. It crosses Bonnie Brae just below Willowwood street.

There is another rail line that comes up from Fort Worth that runs to the east of downtown. Hickory, Sycamore and Prairie eventually cross it on the other side of Bell Ave.

True, but both of those are freight lines. The DCTA rail will lay new track and utilize what is currently the Denton Rail Trail, which saddens me because that is a great running trail.

True, but both of those are freight lines. The DCTA rail will lay new track and utilize what is currently the Denton Rail Trail, which saddens me because that is a great running trail.

Amtrak uses freight lines. They just work out right of way issues. Sidings off exsisting rail lines can be built much easier than running a new rail line and/or rail spur somewhere.

It IS a great place to run but I think they are having as much a problem getting the funding as NT is for the stadium so don't worry about dodging trains just yet.

thread hijack.

Guest GrayEagleOne

The stadium is going to be a major problem for parking until Fouts is torn down. The only way that I see to handle crowds of 20,000 (non-students) would be to shuttle them from other parking areas around town. The stadium might even justify building the parking garage across Bonnie Brae, next to the (proposed) baseball stadium.

Still, Denton could become a "Music City" with a number of concerts throughout the year feathuring all different types of music..Jazzfest, Popfest, Rockfest, etc. It could eventually be something major for the entire Metroplex.

I'm not keen on the bus or train depot. The nearest Amtrak line is about six or eight miles to the west and the DCTA light rail will go just east of Golden Triangle Mall. The cost to connect either to the stadium would be enormous.

It IS a great place to run but I think they are having as much a problem getting the funding as NT is for the stadium so don't worry about dodging trains just yet.

Actually, the latest newsletter from the DCTA said they received federal funding for the rail cars, and that the plan is a go once the environmental impact statement is approved by the FTA! :D Come December 2010, no more driving to downtown Dallas!

Actually, the latest newsletter from the DCTA said they received federal funding for the rail cars, and that the plan is a go once the environmental impact statement is approved by the FTA! :D Come December 2010, no more driving to downtown Dallas!

Damn, I wished some of the foresight thinking would find it's way to Weatherford, or as I like to refer to it as "Arlington West".

Rick

The stadium is going to be a major problem for parking until Fouts is torn down. The only way that I see to handle crowds of 20,000 (non-students) would be to shuttle them from other parking areas around town. The stadium might even justify building the parking garage across Bonnie Brae, next to the (proposed) baseball stadium.

Still, Denton could become a "Music City" with a number of concerts throughout the year feathuring all different types of music..Jazzfest, Popfest, Rockfest, etc. It could eventually be something major for the entire Metroplex.

I'm not keen on the bus or train depot. The nearest Amtrak line is about six or eight miles to the west and the DCTA light rail will go just east of Golden Triangle Mall. The cost to connect either to the stadium would be enormous.

I appreciate your insight on the music and transit ideas, GrayEagleOne.

I agree with your ideas about promotion of Denton as a "Music City". Also, UNTLifer is correct about Civic Center Park having long outlived it's usefulness as a venue for Jazzfest. I do think you're on to something in terms of presenting a variety of music. Of course, Denton probably has more to offer musically than any place within a 5 hours drive of Dallas or Fort Worth. I think a valid question about musical productions at a new stadium is whether that they would be more for producing revenue, or more for the enjoyment of the UNT community and therefore a way to justify the increased costs of a new stadium

I did to to the DCTA site and learn more about their rail alignment, and agree with your general statement about commuter rail transit probably not being an option for the new stadium. However, you brought up interesting points about anticipated parking problems during a construction phase, and I do think UNT needs to coordinate its stadium planning with DCTA transit planning to the extent of usint their proposed park and ride facilities as remote parking for shuttle buses going to the stadium. Those hundreds of parking spaces at their South Lewisville location could be a big help on a Saturday afternoon with a sellout crowd.

I would suggest, however, that stadium planning be done with a sensitivity towards future rail transit possibilities in and around Denton, such as light rail connections going east and west from the planned downtown Denton rail depot. I'm sure many here can remember those saying rail transit in the DFW area wouldn't work. I haven't hear any of them eating their words since then, but memory is selective, I guess. Let's remember, we need to be planning for a time well into the future, and when the price of gasoline will be much higher than it has in the past. If nothing else, the freight line mentioned by SilverEagle might be considered as a possible way of bringin chartered passenger trains into big games- I have never taken the Trinity Railway Express to go to a Mavericks or Stars game, but those taking these "game trains" sure do look like they're having fun!