Vito's Shot In Today's D-rc

SUMG

Today, Brett has a signing day article, in which he goes on and on, about how the only reason why Riley Dodge sign (ed) with UNT....is to play for his father.

First of all, we all know that. But, I think to over emphasize that is crap. Here's an excerpt.....see what you think:

With national signing day finally here, North Texas is on the verge of landing nationally ranked athlete Riley Dodge, which begs the question: Is UNT landing its best recruit of the last decade because he wants to play for his father?

The question really has two parts. Dodge will sign with the Mean Green today to play for his father Todd Dodge, who became a high school football legend at Southlake Carroll before taking over UNT’s program a little more than a year ago. Riley Dodge made it clear when he committed to play for the Mean Green last July that he was signing with UNT to play for his father.

Today, Brett has a signing day article, in which he goes on and on, about how the only reason why Riley Dodge sign (ed) with UNT....is to play for his father.

First of all, we all know that. But, I think to over emphasize that is crap. Here's an excerpt.....see what you think:

With national signing day finally here, North Texas is on the verge of landing nationally ranked athlete Riley Dodge, which begs the question: Is UNT landing its best recruit of the last decade because he wants to play for his father?

The question really has two parts. Dodge will sign with the Mean Green today to play for his father Todd Dodge, who became a high school football legend at Southlake Carroll before taking over UNT’s program a little more than a year ago. Riley Dodge made it clear when he committed to play for the Mean Green last July that he was signing with UNT to play for his father.

I think that Vito stated the obvious.

Folks need to get a little thicker skin. If the guy really wanted to poke fun at UNT athletics, why does he take time out of his day to do the podcasts with Harry (everyone seems to like those)?

Riley's here because of TD. Hard to over emphasis, because that's the only reason we were able to get him.

Edited by MeanGreen61

Vito's just stating the obvious. Also, he'd have sat on the Longhorn bench for four or five years, occassionally getting into the fourth quarter of early season blowouts. At least here, he may get on the field with daddy in charge.

Don't sell Riley short. Sure, he'll see the field much sooner at NT than UT, but it won't be because of his father.

Don't sell Riley short. Sure, he'll see the field much sooner at NT than UT, but it won't be because of his father.

how could it not be? Plain and simple, Riley would not have come to UNT without his dad. I don't see why that's a bad thing, or why people feel like he needs to come to UNT for some other reason. All of the recruits we are getting are coming because of Riley's dad. That's how it works. He's the coach.

Riley's here because of TD. Hard to over emphasis, because that's the only reason we were able to get him.

Maybe, maybe not. Riley wants to play QB, uT wanted him as an athlete. UNT has the offense he wants and the position he wants and an early opportunity to play, it just so happens that his dad also coaches here. All other things equal we could have been appealing to him even if another coach was coaching the same offense.

how could it not be? Plain and simple, Riley would not have come to UNT without his dad. I don't see why that's a bad thing, or why people feel like he needs to come to UNT for some other reason. All of the recruits we are getting are coming because of Riley's dad. That's how it works. He's the coach.

I think you missed Lifer's point. Riley is going to see the field, not because he is the coach's son, but upon his own merit.

I think you missed Lifer's point. Riley is going to see the field, not because he is the coach's son, but upon his own merit.

nobody disputes that. I think TFLF's point was that it wasnt much of a decision if he actually wanted to play because he would have been a pretty good ways down the depth chart at UT.

Maybe, maybe not. Riley wants to play QB, uT wanted him as an athlete. UNT has the offense he wants and the position he wants and an early opportunity to play, it just so happens that his dad also coaches here. All other things equal we could have been appealing to him even if another coach was coaching the same offense.

Now that's a stretch :)

Edited by MeanGreen61

nobody disputes that. I think TFLF's point was that it wasnt much of a decision if he actually wanted to play because he would have been a pretty good ways down the depth chart at UT.

No, TFLF stated:

At least here, he may get on the field with daddy in charge.

That sounds to me like he doesn't think Riley would get on the field if Todd wasn't the coach. I know he was comparing UT's situation to our's, but it still sounds like he didn't think Riley would see the field much if it wasn't for his dad.

No, TFLF stated:

That sounds to me like he doesn't think Riley would get on the field if Todd wasn't the coach. I know he was comparing UT's situation to our's, but it still sounds like he didn't think Riley would see the field much if it wasn't for his dad.

Mack Brown had already told Riley that UT was not recruiting him to play QB because of his heighth ( remember the size of Vince Young @ UT ), and that he would be tried at DB. After one get together of UT verbals, I think he decided he wanted to stay on the offensive side. Also Elizabeth Dodge said the contagious excitement of the NT players that visited their home last preseason impressed Riley. After they started to play games he then probably also saw that TD needed his help. a win-win for both father and son. This is NOT unprecedented as Hayden Fry had 3 sons who all played for him at NT, and all three made major contributions to the program and have been great alums and ambassadors of UNT since.