I caught an interview with him (Javier Bardem) a few days ago. Really a humble guy. They were showing the clip of the gas station where he asks the old man to "Call It" and praising his weird, freakish acting but Bardem was quick to say that that scene only worked because the old man was so good.

I agree about Dano he was fantastic too. Another guy who's character was so well played that I loathed his very fiber was Casey Affleck in The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford. Not sure if the DP is up for an award on that one but he should be. Wonderfully shot.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FINAL PREDICTIONS

Best motion picture of the year

"No Country for Old Men" (Miramax and Paramount Vantage) A Scott Rudin/Mike Zoss Production: Scott Rudin, Ethan Coen and Joel Coen, Producers

Achievement in directing

"No Country for Old Men" (Miramax and Paramount Vantage), Joel Coen and Ethan Coen

Performance by an actor in a leading role

Daniel Day-Lewis in "There Will Be Blood" (Paramount Vantage and Miramax)

Performance by an actor in a supporting role

Javier Bardem in "No Country for Old Men" (Miramax and Paramount Vantage)

Performance by an actress in a leading role

Marion Cotillard in "La Vie en Rose" (Picturehouse)

Performance by an actress in a supporting role

Tilda Swinton in "Michael Clayton" (Warner Bros.)

Adapted screenplay

"No Country for Old Men" (Miramax and Paramount Vantage), Written for the screen by Joel Coen & Ethan Coen

Original screenplay

"Juno" (Fox Searchlight), Written by Diablo Cody

Best animated feature film of the year

"Ratatouille" (Walt Disney): Brad Bird

Achievement in art direction

"There Will Be Blood" (Paramount Vantage and Miramax): Art Direction: Jack Fisk; Set Decoration: Jim Erickson

Achievement in cinematography

"No Country for Old Men" (Miramax and Paramount Vantage): Roger Deakins

Achievement in costume design

"Atonement" (Focus Features) Jacqueline Durran

Best documentary feature

"No End in Sight" (Magnolia Pictures) A Representational Pictures Production: Charles Ferguson and Audrey Marrs

Best documentary short subject

"Sari's Mother" (Cinema Guild) A Daylight Factory Production: James Longley

Achievement in film editing

"No Country for Old Men" (Miramax and Paramount Vantage) Roderick Jaynes

Best foreign language film of the year

"12" Russia

Achievement in makeup

"La Vie en Rose" (Picturehouse) Didier Lavergne and Jan Archibald

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original score)

"Atonement" (Focus Features) Dario Marianelli

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original song)

"Falling Slowly" from "Once" (Fox Searchlight) Music and Lyric by Glen Hansard and: Marketa Irglova

Best animated short film

"Peter & the Wolf" (BreakThru Films) A BreakThru Films/Se-ma-for Studios Production Suzie Templeton and Hugh Welchman

Best live action short film

"At Night" A Zentropa Entertainments 10 Production: Christian E. Christiansen and Louise Vesth

Achievement in sound editing

"Transformers" (DreamWorks and Paramount in association with Hasbro): Ethan Van der Ryn and Mike Hopkins

Achievement in sound mixing

"Transformers" (DreamWorks and Paramount in association with Hasbro): Kevin O'Connell, Greg P. Russell and Peter J. Devlin

Achievement in visual effects

"Transformers" (DreamWorks and Paramount in association with Hasbro): Scott Farrar, Scott Benza, Russell Earl and John Frazier

A few things...first I think The Counterfitters will take foreign language film. Second, was I high when I saw Eddie Vedder's score to Into the Wild was nominated? Third...while I think Ratatoullie will win, I'm still hoping that Persepolis can pull a major upset...what a brilliant movie

A few things...first I think The Counterfitters will take foreign language film. Second, was I high when I saw Eddie Vedder's score to Into the Wild was nominated? Third...while I think Ratatoullie will win, I'm still hoping that Persepolis can pull a major upset...what a brilliant movie

Counterfitters is probably the favorite, but from what I understand 12 is basically a remake of 12 Angry Men a beloved film among many Americans. I was thinking many might be in the AMPAS. Foreign film is notorious for upsets.

Vedder's score was nommed at the Globes.

Persopolis doesn't have much of a shot IMHO. It's like when Triplettes of Belleville was nommed but lost.

Edited by CMJ

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got the chance to waste a bit of time and watch No Country for Old Men. Wow was that ever terrible! So glad I didn't pay to go see it. That's exactly why I rarely go see the movies that all of a sudden start getting talked about around January and why I haven't wasted an ounce of time watching an awards ceremony of any kind since the early 80's.

Rick

I finally got the chance to waste a bit of time and watch No Country for Old Men. Wow was that ever terrible! So glad I didn't pay to go see it. That's exactly why I rarely go see the movies that all of a sudden start getting talked about around January and why I haven't wasted an ounce of time watching an awards ceremony of any kind since the early 80's.

Rick

Sorry Rick - it's a fantastic film.

It outright sucked ass and four of us were pissed we sat through it when it was over. But at least it was free. What I'm sorry is that pointless films such as this are considered entertainment.

Rick

It was brilliant. And to say it is pointless is laughable to me as it was one of the most philisophical films I've seen in awhile if not ever. But I suppose there's no accounting for taste. ;)

It was brilliant. And to say it is pointless is laughable to me as it was one of the most philisophical films I've seen in awhile if not ever. But I suppose there's no accounting for taste. ;)

Not entertaining at all. Boring, far from brilliant. They could have shaved an hour off the time in it and it would have made zero difference. Boring.

Rick

Not entertaining at all. Boring, far from brilliant. They could have shaved an hour off the time in it and it would have made zero difference. Boring.

Exciting and filled with meaning. Works on both a thriller level and a philisophical level. Examines society thru a Calvinistic viewpoint - Anton Chigurh representing Pascal's Wager.

Not my 1st choice as Best Picture - but a tremedous pick. Last year was a terrific one for film.

If I want to study psychology or society in general I'll go back to school for more punishment. And who wants to do that over again? How sad it is that you have to put all that together to simply justify why you sat there and watched it. I'd rather watch having my own wisdom teeth pulled, which I did by the way and it was just as interesting.

Rick

If I want to study psychology or society in general I'll go back to school for more punishment. And who wants to do that over again? How sad it is that you have to put all that together to simply justify why you sat there and watched it. I'd rather watch having my own wisdom teeth pulled, which I did by the way and it was just as interesting.

Rick

Michael Bay approved this message.

I didn't have to put anything together Rick. And I find "check you brain at the door" films largely boring. Obviously sometimes those sorts of films can be fun - but I usually prefer more serious fare. And when a film can challenge me, without being some kind of pretentious garbage(like Andy Warhol crap or something) I find that great.

I didn't have to put anything together Rick.

Yes you did, you stated:

Works on both a thriller level and a philisophical level. Examines society thru a Calvinistic viewpoint - Anton Chigurh representing Pascal's Wager.

Sounds like the art logo people trying to tell the rest of the people who said it sucks why through some deep artsy fartsy meaning. There were threads and threads of criticism explaining why their meanings sucked.

No body I watched the movie with gave a rats what level it was on, or would give even less what viewpoint blah blah blah it was seen through. The outright and comlete reaction was...WHAT? Just like everying rolling up their windows and starting the car as the credits rolled through 2001 A Space Odyssy. Everybody else looking around at the other saying, "What?, we sat through this for that?".

Horrible.

Rick

Yes you did, you stated:

Sounds like the art logo people trying to tell the rest of the people who said it sucks why through some deep artsy fartsy meaning. There were threads and threads of criticism explaining why their meanings sucked.

No body I watched the movie with gave a rats what level it was on, or would give even less what viewpoint blah blah blah it was seen through. The outright and comlete reaction was...WHAT? Just like everying rolling up their windows and starting the car as the credits rolled through 2001 A Space Odyssy. Everybody else looking around at the other saying, "What?, we sat through this for that?".

Horrible.

Rick

And most of the other folks in this thread enjoyed the film if you took the time to read it. Just because I saw some sort of depth in the film doesn't mean I was TRYING to find some sort of deeper meaning. I saw it with my family and all four of us sat and discussed the film for hours on end(my father enjoyed it more than me I think). To me that is what a great film does - inspires discussion...debates...etc.

I don't mean to sound like I'm talking down to you Rick because you didn't "get" it - but I feel like you're lambasting those of us who did.

Edited by CMJ

And most of the other folks in this thread enjoyed the film if you took the time to read it. Just because I saw some sort of depth in the film doesn't mean I was TRYING to find some sort of deeper meaning. I saw it with my family and all four of us sat and discussed the film for hours on end(my father enjoyed it more than me I think). To me that is what a great film does - inspires discussion...debates...etc.

I don't mean to sound like I'm talking down to you Rick because you didn't "get" it - but I feel like you're lambasting those of us who did.

I just simply don't care what other people thought about it. I'll decide for myself, and did about how it was. But I did hear others say it sucked too, which would explain why I never heard anyone I personally know say, "Hey, you gotta go see that great movie etc...." back when it was at the box office. And I didn't read this thread all the way through because it's full of discussion about another rediculous award ceremony that I also don't care to watch, as well as about an industry that I did work in and had every opportunity to continue to work in and gladly, and thankfully turned down to do so. I wasn't going to watch the ceremony so why read the thread. But it was a thread about movies also and I didn't want to start another when I gave my oppinion about one of the movies that I wasted my time to watch. And I could care less what others think of that oppinion and yoiur not going to change my mind about it nor can you hurt my feelings at all if you disagree with it, so go right ahead, it still sucked ass. As far as movies go, it's my oppinion that if someone has to phylosophy as to why it's so great then more than likely it wasn't that great....TO ME!

Rick