New Db Coach: Clay Jennings

SUMG

883981.jpeg

Clay Jennings joined coach Guy Morriss' Baylor coaching staff as cornerbacks coach in January 2007 after spending the previous two years in a similar position at Houston.

Jennings worked as Houston's safeties coach during the 2005 and 2006 seasons, helping the Cougars to back-to-back bowl appearances (2005 Fort Worth Bowl and 2006 Liberty Bowl) and the 2006 Conference USA championship. In 2006, Cougars' free safety Will Gulley earned Conference USA Defensive Player of the Year honors and freshman safety Brandon Brinkley was named to the league's all-freshman honor squad.

In his first season at Houston, Jennings saw one of his pupils, Rocky Schwartz, earn Conference USA third-team all-league honors and freshman Kenneth Fontennette was an honorable mention Sporting News Freshman All-America pick.

Prior to his two-year stint at Houston, Jennings spent two seasons (2003 and 2004) as the defensive backs coach at Louisiana-Lafayette, where he helped the Ragin' Cajuns to a No. 11 national ranking in pass defense. Three players Jennings tutored while with the Cajuns were Antwan Spann (currently with the New England Patriots), C.C. Brown (currently with the Houston Texans) and Mike Adams (currently with the Arizona Cardinals).

Before going to ULL, he worked two years (2001 and 2002) as secondary coach and recruiting coordinator at Sam Houston State. He helped the Bearkats to a share of the 2001 Southland Conference championship and the quarterfinal round of the NCAA Division I-AA Playoffs. At SHSU, Jennings coached All-American and Buck Buchanan Award finalist Keith Davis, who just completed his fourth season with the Dallas Cowboys.

Jennings also coached the secondary at Southern Arkansas (Feb. 2000-March 2001), Morningside College in Sioux City, Iowa (March 1999-Feb. 2000) and Morehouse College in Atlanta (Jan. 1998-Feb. 1999). At SAU, Jennings mentored the Seattle Seahawks starting left cornerback, Jordan Babineaux, while at Morningside he coached Matt Walker, a first-team All-America safety.

A four-year letterwinner as a defensive lineman and special teams standout at North Texas from 1992 through 1995, Jennings was a member of the Mean Green's 1994 Southland Conference championship team and the school's first NCAA Division I-A entry in 1995. He began his coaching career first as a student assistant (1996) and then as a graduate assistant (1997) at North Texas before moving on to Morehouse.

The 1996 North Texas graduate (bachelor's of science in kinesiology) and his wife Belinda, have two children, son Kirby and daughter Kenzie. He graduated from Waco's La Vega High School in 1992.

It my understanding that he recruited the Dallas inner city for his last position. When DeLoach and Jennings can join the staff (after the 10 day period...assuming this info is correct that ought to be a big boost to our defensive recruiting the next two weeks.

883981.jpeg

Clay Jennings joined coach Guy Morriss' Baylor coaching staff as cornerbacks coach in January 2007 after spending the previous two years in a similar position at Houston.

Jennings worked as Houston's safeties coach during the 2005 and 2006 seasons, helping the Cougars to back-to-back bowl appearances (2005 Fort Worth Bowl and 2006 Liberty Bowl) and the 2006 Conference USA championship. In 2006, Cougars' free safety Will Gulley earned Conference USA Defensive Player of the Year honors and freshman safety Brandon Brinkley was named to the league's all-freshman honor squad.

In his first season at Houston, Jennings saw one of his pupils, Rocky Schwartz, earn Conference USA third-team all-league honors and freshman Kenneth Fontennette was an honorable mention Sporting News Freshman All-America pick.

Prior to his two-year stint at Houston, Jennings spent two seasons (2003 and 2004) as the defensive backs coach at Louisiana-Lafayette, where he helped the Ragin' Cajuns to a No. 11 national ranking in pass defense. Three players Jennings tutored while with the Cajuns were Antwan Spann (currently with the New England Patriots), C.C. Brown (currently with the Houston Texans) and Mike Adams (currently with the Arizona Cardinals).

Before going to ULL, he worked two years (2001 and 2002) as secondary coach and recruiting coordinator at Sam Houston State. He helped the Bearkats to a share of the 2001 Southland Conference championship and the quarterfinal round of the NCAA Division I-AA Playoffs. At SHSU, Jennings coached All-American and Buck Buchanan Award finalist Keith Davis, who just completed his fourth season with the Dallas Cowboys.

Jennings also coached the secondary at Southern Arkansas (Feb. 2000-March 2001), Morningside College in Sioux City, Iowa (March 1999-Feb. 2000) and Morehouse College in Atlanta (Jan. 1998-Feb. 1999). At SAU, Jennings mentored the Seattle Seahawks starting left cornerback, Jordan Babineaux, while at Morningside he coached Matt Walker, a first-team All-America safety.

A four-year letterwinner as a defensive lineman and special teams standout at North Texas from 1992 through 1995, Jennings was a member of the Mean Green's 1994 Southland Conference championship team and the school's first NCAA Division I-A entry in 1995. He began his coaching career first as a student assistant (1996) and then as a graduate assistant (1997) at North Texas before moving on to Morehouse.

The 1996 North Texas graduate (bachelor's of science in kinesiology) and his wife Belinda, have two children, son Kirby and daughter Kenzie. He graduated from Waco's La Vega High School in 1992.

Does this throw a wrench into the whole DeLoach coming back to NT? DeLoach is a secondary guy...not to say he couldn't coach LBers, but it doesn't seem as perfect a fit as it once did.

Still holding out hope.

Remember, someone posted not to long ago with what was deemed "very good information" that the Co-DC from Texas was coming over. He did coach LBers.

That guy, whoever it was may still be right on this one.

Edited by BIG DAWG

Does this throw a wrench into the whole DeLoach coming back to NT? DeLoach is a secondary guy...not to say he couldn't coach LBers, but it doesn't seem as perfect a fit as it once did.

Still holding out hope.

Remember, someone posted not to long ago with what was deemed "very good information" that the Co-DC from Texas was coming over. He did coach LBers.

Umm probably not since DeLoach would come in as the DC not some DB coach

Well since you do not know much about football, let me explain.

Defensive Coordinators still are required to coach a position.

yup nice arrogant typical answer, lets see they hired Jennings so maybe DeLoach can do LB's or DL, but hell what do I know about Football.

CJ is supposed to be an outstanding recruiter. His connections to the Dallas and Houston areas will be a huge asset to this staff.

IT'S ALL GREEN AND ALL GOOD!!!!

Rick

He appears to be a great hire with his background as defensive player at NT, DB coaching experience, and area of recruiting focus.

At the college level, many DCs coach a position. However, it is not "required".

I don't know what staffing levels are allowed by NCAA rules, but I would also like to see former North Texas linebacker Jeff Rodgers return. Rodgers was an All Conference linebacker under Gary Deloach at North Texas and has coached with linebackers and special teams at the University of Arizona and currently for the San Francisco 49ers.

Rodgers, who played for Elizabeth Dodge's father at Austin Westlake, was an honor roll student throughout his college career.

Oh, and Jeff's father Randy Rodgers is also the premeir recruiting analyst for the state of Texas. He covers college football recruiting for Texas Football magazine and has extended insight through his numerous contacts.

lrg-377-rodgerscoegall.jpg

San Francisco 49ers assistant coach Jeff Rodgers evaluating players at the 2007 Senior Bowl.

Jeff Rodgers Bio at the San Francisco 49ers Team Page

Edited by ADLER

yup nice arrogant typical answer, lets see they hired Jennings so maybe DeLoach can do LB's or DL, but hell what do I know about Football.
Just returning the favor.

Umm probably not since DeLoach would come in as the DC not some DB coach

Then you make the same argument I made in my original post.

Still holding out hope.

Edited by BIG DAWG

If I read his bio correctly....in two seasons, 3 players who played for him at ULL....are now in the pros. (Or they at least made it to the pros, they might not all be in the NFL now).

And at SHSU.....he coached Keith Davis, who has been with the Cowboys for 4 years.

That right there......is impressive. 4 DBs that this guy has coached who have played in the NFL. And there might be a few more.

I think I'm right on this: UNT hasn't sent 4 DBs to the NFL in the last 25 years.