Jones' Coaching Future Up In The Air

DALLAS (AP) — June Jones spent Sunday night trying to decide whether to accept an offer to coach SMU or return to Hawaii, where the governor is among those trying to keep him. "It's been a wild day," agent Leigh Steinberg said. "I haven't seen anything like this before. It's emotionally wrenching for June."

Jones was in Dallas meeting with SMU officials and the search committee that has been working since late October to hire a replacement to Phil Bennett. Meanwhile, the folks on the island were doing all they could to get him to say no and continue leading a program he has guided to national prominence.

Hawaii Gov. Linda Lingle called to see what she could do, and the president who oversees the entire University of Hawaii system called with an updated contract proposal. It's the second in three days, but the first made by the school's overall leader.

The higher-ups aren't the only ones doing their best to lure Jones back.

"Yesterday when he was in Hawaii, June was visited by dozens of alums and fans, urging him to stay," Steinberg said. "He's received dozens of phone calls and e-mails telling him what he's meant to not only the school but the whole state, with personal stories that were poignant, heart-warming. ... It's a pretty interesting story from that standpoint. The whole state is energized to keep June."

Steinberg said Jones was planning on making a decision Sunday night.

"These programs need to know," he said. "It's time."

The offer from Hawaii stands at $1.2 million.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/06/sports/n...ef=ncaafootball

Ladies and gentleman...it's time to start the wagers. Will he go or will he stay???

You know, he has meant a lot to the players and the state. I kind of hope he stays to see them though a bit longer.

But really at the heart of this blog is Mean Green Football...whay care about anything else??? Go Mean Green!!

He has got Hawaii suddenly stepping up and making all the promises he wanted. He wrote a 19-point resignation letter... was he simply telling Hawaii what he needed to stay??

He's getting a 50% bump in pay if he stays at Hawaii.

I say right now there's a 50-50 chance either way.

This is SMU; they will lose out. Am I mentally retarded for asking for them to at least contact Mike Shula instead of going after Fran or Coker?? I mean, I just don't see that as comparable between those 3. Shula was given a raw job in a really bad situation. He held a steady ship and did no worse than Sabans done. Fran and Coker took jobs that were established and teams that were enjoying some success (and A&M recruited just fine under Slocum) and disapointed at places where they had great resources..

I hate to see any school lose it's coach because somebody is able to outspend them, but it's the nature of the business. Southlake wasn't exactly anxious to lose Todd Dodge either when we hired him.

That being said, I hope Jones comes to SMU. Any improvement for TCU and SMU ultimately benefits us if we also significantly improve our own product. Whether it's a concious effort or not, the Big 12 is taking the media attention away (and revenue producing games) from the metroplex colleges through the neutral site games played here. There will probably be no more home games hosting OU, OSU, Tech, Arkansas, Texas, and A&M.

None of the metroplex schools have conference rivals which regularly spark the interest of fans in this market. CUSA and the Mountain West each have some prominent programs but nobody other than BYU has a significantly large local following.

SMU, TCU, and North Texas will all benefit if all three schools have successful programs and play each other annually. These games could hopefully produce enough gate to eliminate the temptation for scheduling 'guarantee' games at the BCS schools.

Tobacco Road rivalries weren't formed by those close schools having bad basketball programs. I hope it's time for the three D/FW colleges to take our home back. TCU and North Texas both have our chosen leaders and I hope SMU quickly gets theirs.

This is SMU; they will lose out. Am I mentally retarded for asking for them to at least contact Mike Shula instead of going after Fran or Coker?? I mean, I just don't see that as comparable between those 3. Shula was given a raw job in a really bad situation. He held a steady ship and did no worse than Sabans done. Fran and Coker took jobs that were established and teams that were enjoying some success (and A&M recruited just fine under Slocum) and disapointed at places where they had great resources..

No, you are not making anything like a bad request. I still think that’s who they should be after instead of Jones! If he gets the SMU job, how quick is the recruiting budget going to be blown on $4000 trips to American Samoa looking for tackles! Mike Shula is exactly the guy SMU should be going after even if it means NT looses some recruits to them. I’m certain that a better SMU program helps NT. Some of our best years were during the Pony Express.

I Heart Adler.

SMU should either get a freaking coach like NOW, or just say screw it and promote one of their other FB coaches to head coach. I know that wouldn't be as good as getting Jones or even Fran, or many of the other names, but hell, SOME coach is better than none. And who knows, sometimes greatness is bred from necessity. Who knows what kind of potential might be in an OC, DC, etc? We might find out soon if they don't get a "name" coach.

I Heart Adler.

SMU should either get a freaking coach like NOW, or just say screw it and promote one of their other FB coaches to head coach. I know that wouldn't be as good as getting Jones or even Fran, or many of the other names, but hell, SOME coach is better than none. And who knows, sometimes greatness is bred from necessity. Who knows what kind of potential might be in an OC, DC, etc? We might find out soon if they don't get a "name" coach.

I don't think they have any assistants left. Which if why (if I remember right) why Orsini got a waiver to go recruit himself.

Who knows. I bounced to the Pony board and one guy said, "there is a former national championship winner waiting in the wings, in addition to a coach who has had incredible success at the two mid-major programs in the region that he coached and at least moderate success at the Big 12 school in the state he coached."

I'm assuming the latter is referring to Fran, but are these guys really just "waiting" for the SMU offer?

One way or the other, I hope they get a good and exciting coach, and SOON. I want some awesome games when we play each other again!