And Here's What Is Wrong With College Football Today

UNTLifer

Doubtful. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the majority of Congress went to these big time schools (or Ivy League, which is rich enough where it doesnt need bowl payouts anyway) and dont care to see it changed at all. I mean this is one of the most idiot Congresses in recent memory. Do you think they would really care about the "lesser rans" (in their mind) of college football. And yes, I do know Congressman Michael Burgess went here, but hes one voice out of 535. (HOR + Senate)

I expect (and this is just my opinion here) that we will see Congress turn their Sauron-esque eye towards this just as soon as they get done with Baseball.

Just eleven teams have taken 26 spots in the BCS Championship games and the three Bowl Alliance games (13 games total). Two of those teams had one appearance (Texas and Va Tech). The other 9 teams have 2.6 championship games berths.

Those same 11 teams have a total of 46 BCS game appearances. That's over half of the 84 BCS bowl berths since the inception of the BCS.

Twenty-two teams make up the other 38 appearances.

The money earned from these appearances allow a select few number of teams to maintain a monopolistic hold on the BCS Championship game.

College football is a business. It is a multi-billion dollar industry that affects interstate commerce. That means Congress can regulate it, if they choose to do so. But they don't need to... all they have to do is threaten to regulate college football.

The BCS conferences make-up an anti-competitive monopoly. Their goal is concentrate and maintain their wealth and power by denying worthy teams a chance to play for the BCS Championship.

We need a playoff. Now.

Edited by UNTflyer

The shared payout is a good idea in theory- say, if FAU and Troy went to two big bowls and got a massive payoff. If some of that money went to FIU and the rest of the SBC, that'd help everyone be more competitive. However, the BigXII isn't really in that situation anymore since it doesn't appear that any school in that conference is short on athletics funding.

What really irks me is how Notre Dame somehow gets ranked every preseason. That's what irks me. It's one thing if OU, or Ohio State or the usual powerhouses get ranked, but not Notre Dame.

"As long as you're included, you're going to be like Crispus Attucks in the American Revolution," CBS Sports college football analysts Spencer Tillman Random Semi-Obscure Reference King Dennis Miller said. "You're just standing there and got hit by a bullet and you weren't even trying to. You're going to get a payday regardless of what happens."

Fixed that.

Edited by JayDub

College football is a business. It is a multi-billion dollar industry that affects interstate commerce. That means Congress can regulate it, if they choose to do so. But they don't need to... all they have to do is threaten to regulate college football.

The BCS conferences make-up an anti-competitive monopoly. Their goal is concentrate and maintain their wealth and power by denying worthy teams a chance to play for the BCS Championship.

We need a playoff. Now.

Not going to happen. That's like asking a fat, rich king with a large harem to give up his power and install a democracy. Why would he do that?

If you want to reform college football to close the gap between the rich and poor then do it through the NCAA rules committeee by instituting limited substitution. That would usher in a single platoon system that would cut costs and spread the talent out even wider and force colleges and universities to recruit a different kind of player. That and cut the number of bowls down.

But the effing government should keep its bungling hands out of it.

Just eleven teams have taken 26 spots in the BCS Championship games and the three Bowl Alliance games (13 games total). Two of those teams had one appearance (Texas and Va Tech). The other 9 teams have 2.6 championship games berths.

Those same 11 teams have a total of 46 BCS game appearances. That's over half of the 84 BCS bowl berths since the inception of the BCS.

Twenty-two teams make up the other 38 appearances.

The money earned from these appearances allow a select few number of teams to maintain a monopolistic hold on the BCS Championship game.

We need a playoff. Now.

You, know, I don't know if this is possible, but I have wondered out loud for years why the non-automatic BCS leagues don't just break away and do a playoff system of their own. It would be really fun to see the top 8 teams form the 5 non-BCS leagues play in a three-week playoff. I think it would generate alot of revenue, especially if the games are played on campus. Then have a championship game in a neutral site. Basically, its a glorified copy of the I-AA playoffs (sorry, FCS playoffs). Why not? I mean the BCS isn't going to let anyone else in anytime soon. I am sure that the money is the reason why this wouldn't work, but it takes a miracle for our leagues just to get a bigger piece of the pie as it stnads now. And, in the end, it could force the BCS leagues to come up with a playoff system. Any thoughts?

You, know, I don't know if this is possible, but I have wondered out loud for years why the non-automatic BCS leagues don't just break away and do a playoff system of their own. It would be really fun to see the top 8 teams form the 5 non-BCS leagues play in a three-week playoff. I think it would generate alot of revenue, especially if the games are played on campus. Then have a championship game in a neutral site. Basically, its a glorified copy of the I-AA playoffs (sorry, FCS playoffs). Why not? I mean the BCS isn't going to let anyone else in anytime soon. I am sure that the money is the reason why this wouldn't work, but it takes a miracle for our leagues just to get a bigger piece of the pie as it stnads now. And, in the end, it could force the BCS leagues to come up with a playoff system. Any thoughts?

I think the BCS leagues would throw a party if that happened. No need to worry about any of us anymore.

What do they worry about right now in regards to the system?

They actually have to pay the occassional Hawaii. And if they kicked out all of the non BCS leagues, suddenly there would be a ton more support for a true playoff with the Big 6 leagues. They don't want to share money with the rest of us....but if the rest of us weren't there?

Breaking off from the BCS system (which, technically, we're a part of. Just not getting any automatic bids via conference championships) would only re-enforce their idea that they're on a completely higher level than us. The difference is, right now (as opposed to us having our own playoff), we're all part of the same scholly limits, NCAA rules, etc, and thus they have to listen to our voices. I know it seems like they blow us off, but at least they're acknowledging us? Breaking off from them means they won't even be legally obliged to listen, and Congress might not have a reason to keep one eye in our direction.

Maybe I'm talking out of the wrong end of my body here, but patience may be a virtue in this case. I don't like the idea of waiting any more than the rest of us, but it seems like this year I saw a great deal of evidence that the scholly limit placed into effect not too long ago is reaping some rewards. Appy State over Michigan is the obvious one, but Stanford over USC might be even bigger.

Blowouts by the haves over the have-nots are there, but not so widespread anymore. Maybe I'm remembering that wrong, and somebody will correct me. You might even make a case that the scholly limit made it easier for programs like USF to rise to where they are as quick as they did, or Troy to represent the Belt the way they have the last couple years. FAU is doing it too.

Give a good coach the right resources and support, and it seems like anything is possible. When does the BCS contract run out? Maybe when that happens, we'll be in position to be a part of some potential shakeup.

A playoff system won't enhance college football it will just give fans someyhing different to bitch about.

lumberg.jpg

Yeeeeah... I'm going to have to go ahead and sort of disagree with you there...

People bitch about the system in college football because it is unfair and fails to determine a true champion. Nobody bitches about the playoff system in the NFL or FCS.

if by some miracle Hawaii beats Georgia, i think the cries for a playoff will be even louder. That would make give 2 WAC teams back to back undefeated seasons, making them the ONLY undefeated teams of the past 2 years. Im not saying it's gonna happen, but it has to be considered.

That being said, I think Georgia rolls, big time.

if by some miracle Hawaii beats Georgia, i think the cries for a playoff will be even louder. That would make give 2 WAC teams back to back undefeated seasons, making them the ONLY undefeated teams of the past 2 years. Im not saying it's gonna happen, but it has to be considered.

That being said, I think Georgia rolls, big time.

Accurate prediction. Georgia's defensive front 4 dominated. I watched several of Hawaii's games and even thought at times their O line looked suspect(against Washington) they looked pathetic tonight.

Rick