Fran

Dodge2007

SMU is aiming high per their AD. Why would you interview a dude like Fran who bolts for the best money (proven by his history)?

Is aiming high, Dennis Franchione? In this day of salaries, their is no loyalty.

Even if Fran does well, who is going to sustain after he leaves? (back at square one again) Go SMU hire Fran.

07:35 AM CST on Wednesday, December 19, 2007

By KATE HAIROPOULOS / The Dallas Morning News

khairopoulos@dallasnews.com

SMU and former Texas A&M coach Dennis Franchione have been in contact regarding the school's open football coaching job, and Franchione has shown interest, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.

SMU has declined to comment on candidates while the search is ongoing.

The school has been looking for a coach since firing Phil Bennett on Oct. 28 and has reportedly interviewed former Miami coach Larry Coker.

Franchione has been out of work since resigning from A&M following a win over rival Texas on Nov. 23. His tenure in College Station was rocky.

ERICH SCHLEGEL / DMN

Dennis Franchione stepped down as head football coach at Texas A&M on Nov. 23. He had a 32-28 record in five seasons, and his final season was marked by a fiasco involving a secret e-mail newsletter that sold insider information about the Aggies.

A&M athletic director Bill Byrne wrote a letter of admonishment for Franchione's personnel file that stated the e-mails violated NCAA rules.

Franchione's settlement with A&M guarantees the coach $1.7 million from the school during the 2008 season.

He will make another $1.7 million in 2009, though A&M will owe only the difference between the total and Franchione's salary, if he is working.

The same holds true with a $1 million total in 2010.

If SMU hires Franchione, it would certainly add fire to the school's rivalry with TCU.

Franchione helped turn around the long-struggling private school, going 25-10 from 1998 to 2000, before leaving for Alabama.

He started TCU's ongoing streak of playing in nine bowl games in the last 10 seasons.

SMU athletic director Steve Orsini has said that he wants a proven coach and that he is aiming high.

Orsini has insisted that he has been pleased with the search process, despite its duration.

Former Navy coach Paul Johnson interviewed at SMU two weeks ago before taking the Georgia Tech job days later

The $10 million raised in just over three weeks will get Fran or better. Lucky we weren't able to pull off that long term contract with SMU as it would get even more lopsided than our last Dallas butt kicking.

You know DallasGreen I've read your last three posts and all seem to be rather negative. Perhaps you should consider more fiber in your diet. might help.

SMU is aiming high per their AD. Why would you interview a dude like Fran who bolts for the best money (proven by his history)?

Is aiming high, Dennis Franchione? In this day of salaries, their is no loyalty.

Even though Franchione might move on quickly, SMU is so down with its post-death penalty history, its lack of fan support, and the general malaise infecting the program, the Ponies are in desperate need of a strong recruiting class and a winning season. Franchione might be able to provide both.

Yes, UNT is down right now. But the Mean Green have won in the past decade, have been to bowl games, and have a new coach that is recruiting well. We have reason to hope. But SMU fans have been given very little reason to hope, especially after seeing all the work of the past few years collapse this past season. Even if Franchione leaves after one season, he could give SMU something to build on that, frankly, they simply don't have right now.

Franchione and SMU are both in need of resurrection.

The $10 million raised in just over three weeks will get Fran or better. Lucky we weren't able to pull off that long term contract with SMU as it would get even more lopsided than our last Dallas butt kicking.

SMU's going nowhere fast.

What is the problem? You have been nothing but negative lately.

What rivalry?

Here's an article that starts to explain it: article

Then there is the quote from the SMU official about loving UNT, as that is where they hire most of their domestic help from.

And then there is them moving to have us blocked from joining CUSA.

And then there's the fact that they are the largest collection of dooches anywhere.

I would rather see a long term deal with LaTech or New Mex. I see our series with SMU as a one sided affair, they are a parasite that needs us to inflate thier attendance figures to a respectable level...and what do they bring to Denton??? a bus full of clowns in oxfords and ties and a handfull of dorks in red pants.

Coker could affect us a little...presently fran has a stigma about him in the state, not so worried.

Regardless of who they bring in, we should not get into any sort of long term deal with them. The difference between us is, we will come out in droves to see any non conf opponent of recent memory, they hope that whoever visits Ford will travel w. lots of fans.

You guys are nuts. This series makes absolute sense. Look at the attendance for both games. Who cares if the visiting fan base is one-sided.... WE'RE THE ONE SIDE. When they play at Fouts, we get 23,000 UNT fans and 2,000 SMU fans. When we play at Ford, it's 12,500 to 12,500.

If nothing else, it's a road game that's within an hour drive, every other year.

--Money wise and fan-wise it makes absolute sense. It creates a lot of fan interest on both sides, gets local media attenttion, and helps the attendence and the pocketbook. At the moment it is not a body-bag game they either expects to take a beating in order to earn a few bucks.

---There should be some basketball games as well....it would be a good one prior to Christmas (and finals exam week) that would not require much travel time and keep the athletes near the campus.

---I see "Texas Monthly" has named Fran as --- "The Bum Steer of the Year". I doubt that helped his appeal any.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

There's a video on the WFAA story on the SMU-UNT story from earlier this year. Shows the difference in opinion between the two campuses.

Some of you guys are just childish. Blaming us for UNT not getting an invite into C-USA? Making fun of clothes? That's pretty weak sauce.

The difference in opinion? What do you expect your players to say? They said the same as NT's since they were trying to keep the bulletin board to a minimum.

Childish? The historical quotes attributed to your administration back when we wanted to get in to the SWC and your president's allegiance with La Tech are pretty well known.

Like it or not, NT's success is a bad thing for SMU, and if we are able to sustain success, we'll be a bad thing for TCU. That is why TCU said they wouldn't schedule us anymore after our close loss in our last meeting with them.

Making fun of clothes is "weak sauce?" Constantly referring to NT grads as fast food workers, groundskeepers, etc... or calling NT NTSU is just as weak. Besides, who, outside of the Salesmanship Club and SMU kids wear red pants?

The difference in opinion? What do you expect your players to say? They said the same as NT's since they were trying to keep the bulletin board to a minimum.

Childish? The historical quotes attributed to your administration back when we wanted to get in to the SWC and your president's allegiance with La Tech are pretty well known.

Like it or not, NT's success is a bad thing for SMU, and if we are able to sustain success, we'll be a bad thing for TCU. That is why TCU said they wouldn't schedule us anymore after our close loss in our last meeting with them.

Making fun of clothes is "weak sauce?" Constantly referring to NT grads as fast food workers, groundskeepers, etc... or calling NT NTSU is just as weak. Besides, who, outside of the Salesmanship Club and SMU kids wear red pants?

I was talking about when they interviewed the students from both campuses.

I challenge you to find these "well-known" historical quotes and any allegiance Gerald Ford would have to La Tech. Or for that matter, any substantial proof that SMU singlehandedly kept UNT out of any conference.

Why would UNT being successful be bad for either SMU or TCU? Is TCU's success bad for either SMU or UNT? No. Wouldn't be any different if it were the other way around.

I don't want to get into an argument over banter because for the most part it's funny, but you'd be hard pressed to find ANY SMU student wearing red pants. But I suppose if you like the red pants "joke" and think it's funny, then by all means go ahead and laugh away.

Edited by perunapower

---The SWC voted whether to admit NTSU (then the name) to the SWC during the late 1970's. The Pac-8 had just become the Pac-10 and the NCAA was going to a 11 game season. NTSU received 6 yes votes and 3 no votes. and needed 7 yes votes to be admitted. SMU, TCU and Baylor all voted no. SMU was the most vocal about their opposition. Granted they were not the only no vote but a yes vote by them would have allowed North Texas into the conference. The three that voted against us were the three closest ones and also were the religiously supported private schools. The opinion was that they did not want competion from a state supported school in their area. The fact that Fry was their ex-coach figured into their decision as well so some said.

---I guess that disputes that SMU ever kept us out of a conference. I can't locate it on the internet but of course there was no internet then to create pages about this "transaction', but it happened. The writing was on the wall... NT was not going to get into the SWC and we were snubbed by the bowls despite our record and even against teams that were selected.... so Fry left for greener pastures and more money, Iowa, of the Big-10.

---SMU officials have regularly made insulting statements reguarding NT.... some you might not notice unless you think about it a little but we have noticed. Several have been about they have the best or only program in the area when in reality North Texas has a highly recognized and well known one and perhaps one that has been established a long time. One of the latest ones I remember was SMU establishing one (can't remember which one) and claiming they had the only program in the area...despite the fact NT has had it for years.... Some I remember involved the arts (especially music) and another was about computer science. ....too bad there is no death penalty for false statements made to the media---

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

I was talking about when they interviewed the students from both campuses.

I challenge you to find these "well-known" historical quotes and any allegiance Gerald Ford would have to La Tech. Or for that matter, any substantial proof that SMU singlehandedly kept UNT out of any conference.

Why would UNT being successful be bad for either SMU or TCU? Is TCU's success bad for either SMU or UNT? No. Wouldn't be any different if it were the other way around.

I don't want to get into an argument over banter because for the most part it's funny, but you'd be hard pressed to find ANY SMU student wearing red pants. But I suppose if you like the red pants "joke" and think it's funny, then by all means go ahead and laugh away.

TCU's has left SMU behind in the last few years. Yes, I know SMU has beaten TCU in recent years, but A&M has beaten UT and I don't think you would say A$M's program is in better shape than UT's.

I saw the red pants at the game in Denton two years ago and thought it was hilarious.

I think that many fans from both sides are overlooking another important aspect that affects the scheduling; Jerry Jones.

JJ has been busy courting several of the higher profile Big 12 teams and Arkansas to play annual neutral site games at his new stadium in Arlington. The metroplex colleges have hosted Texas Tech, OSU, A&M, Arkansas, and Oklahoma within the past decade; those games may soon become permanently unattainable.

What would SMU's attendance average have been like this decade if Tech and OSU games weren't played? Won't it be more difficult to sell season tickets without those programs on the schedule? The same situations affect us too, and will continue even when we complete the new stadium.

The metroplex schools may not particularly like each other, but they do need each other to be able to excel.