Why Not?

unt88

If that was the system, I'd be all for it. But everytime you hear about a playoff on TV they usually say a 4 team(occassionally 8 team) one which would be worse what we have now IMHO because not all conference champs would be included and would make the non power leagues more "out in the cold" than ever.

Edited by CMJ

As a college football fan, I think it would be great.

However, as a UNT fan......I'm not so sure. Yes, if we were the 15 seed, we'd technically have a remote chance at the National Championship.

But, unlike the Big Dance in basketball.....where most first round games are on somewhat neutral courts.....these games would all be at the home site of what we usually call "money games" or "body bag games."

So, you can go to NO....for a bowl...and be with 15,000 of your own. And, maybe win a game.

Or we could send a few thousand to some place like WVU....and get stomped.

That's the trade-off, as I see it.

I'd love a playoff system just like this. I do, however, still like the bowl game tradition. I love watching the Rose Bowl on New Years' Day, have done it for years. What I'd like to see is a Big Dance as described in the article with the bowls being invitational as they (technically) are now...but still maintain the prestige of the big games (Rose/Sugar/Orange/Fiesta bowl games) by bringing in the better teams, which would also undoubtedly be playing in the tournament.

That's pretty close to what we (my drunk friends and I) worked out. 16 teams, the top few bowls are still the traditional bowls, and all the others are still there and are as meaningless as they are now.

BTW Buckeye, that's a great pic.

I'd love a playoff system just like this. I do, however, still like the bowl game tradition. I love watching the Rose Bowl on New Years' Day, have done it for years. What I'd like to see is a Big Dance as described in the article with the bowls being invitational as they (technically) are now...but still maintain the prestige of the big games (Rose/Sugar/Orange/Fiesta bowl games) by bringing in the better teams, which would also undoubtedly be playing in the tournament.

I don't think they will ever eliminate the bowls, I just think they will figure out a way to do a Playoff system and either incorporate or keep the bowls. If you think about it, there are really only two types of people that watch most of the non-BCS bowl games as it is now - those that are the fans of the teams involved and those college football fans that are going to watch them just because it is college football, and those two types of people will still watch them if there is a playoff.

That's pretty close to what we (my drunk friends and I) worked out. 16 teams, the top few bowls are still the traditional bowls, and all the others are still there and are as meaningless as they are now.

BTW Buckeye, that's a great pic.

thanks, I had wanted to do something with that picture for a while, it's a good one. I finally got photoshop, so I'm able to crank out these things a bit easier now.

/hijack

Guest GrayEagleOne

I've got the tweak for his playoff system.

I wouldn't change the beginning, i.e. the number of teams and the selection process. I also wouldn't change still having bowl games. What I would change is the playoff system.

Two ways that I think that his system can be improved is the pairings and the playoff location. A #1 vs. #16 is not going to be great for whoever gets that game so I'd pair #1 vs. #9, #2 vs. #10, #3 vs. #11, and so on. There will be a total of 15 games in the playoff. I'd use 15 of the existing bowl locations (in descending order based on attendance) except for game #15 which would always be at the grandaddy of them all, the Rose Bowl. That eliminates the home field advantage and makes it more fair since the pairings are merely opinion anyway.

There could still be another dozen or so bowl games at existing bowl sites for those second and third place finishers who just missed the playoffs. Bowl sites, which have invested a lot of money in some of these bowls could continue much as before. All of these games could be considered bowls and keep their names and their sponsors. Voila...everyone's happy.

It looks very similar to my idea, only if I were the NCAA Grand Wazzoo I would require 12 conferences, and each conference would be required to play a championship game. The highest ranked non-conference winners would grab up the at large bids to make a 16-team bracket.

I would also INTEGRATE the current bowl system, with sponsorships. The conference championship games can be the low-level bowls, with each round moving up the ladder of prestige to where the Final Four are Fiesta/Sugar/Orange/Rose (two of which would get another game for the semi-finals).

Finally, the National Championship game, played the New Year's Day night.

Edited by UNTflyer

The economics of it will never work out while

1) The big teams are in a arms race, and

2) The football team has to play for all non revenue sports.

Here is how you make the economics work...

All of the revenue generated by the 15 games would be divided among the participants based on their final standing in the tournament.

If you utilize my idea of the integrating the conference championship games as a kind of "first-round", suddenly you create interest for a Sun Belt Title game or a MAC title game... heck, you may even sell them out, which would generate moolah exclusively for that conference and its teams.

The money can be worked out... but the NCAA is going to have to force this upon the big boys, especially the Big Ten.

Here is how you make the economics work...

All of the revenue generated by the 15 games would be divided among the participants based on their final standing in the tournament.

Why in the world would the automatic BCS bid conferences take a chance at diluting the amount of money they get by putting the non auto bid schools in a position to get a bigger slice of the pie. They have a cash cow. They don't care about crowning a real champion, they want that money.

If you utilize my idea of the integrating the conference championship games as a kind of "first-round", suddenly you create interest for a Sun Belt Title game or a MAC title game... heck, you may even sell them out, which would generate moolah exclusively for that conference and its teams.

They don't care about interest in other conferences, they want that money.

The money can be worked out... but the NCAA is going to have to force this upon the big boys, especially the Big Ten.

The NCAA doesn't run the auto bid conferences, the auto bid conferences run the NCAA.

Oh, and just to repeat, what do the auto bid conferences want?

To paraphrase Max Bialystock, THEY WANT THAT MONEY!

Why in the world would the automatic BCS bid conferences take a chance at diluting the amount of money they get by putting the non auto bid schools in a position to get a bigger slice of the pie.

Because if they want a National Championship, they'll play.

That is the key to making this work... the NCAA has to step up and finally crown a true football champion.

Because if they want a National Championship, they'll play.

That is the key to making this work... the NCAA has to step up and finally crown a true football champion.

The NCAA is run by the auto bid conferences. The auto bid conferences don't want a playoff.

Look, I am all for a playoff. If I was in charge of the NCAA I would mandate a playoff, and then the Auto bid conferences would break off and make their own association.

The more I hear Bill Curry, the less I like him. His reasons for keeping the current system are ridiculous and contradictory. His statement this morning about the #3 undeated Auburn team from a few years ago having nothing to be disappointed about from being left out of the national title picture was just about the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

If every other NCAA sport and every division of football besides 1A (btw - I like the FBS name now since I heard someone refer to it as the Football Buyout Series) can manage a true champion via a playoff, it becomes more and more obvious that the BCS is more powerful than the NCAA. I won't bore everyone again with the stats on the other football divisions having more teams and conferences that the D1A and still managing a playoff.

The more I hear Bill Curry, the less I like him. His reasons for keeping the current system are ridiculous and contradictory. His statement this morning about the #3 undeated Auburn team from a few years ago having nothing to be disappointed about from being left out of the national title picture was just about the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

He also coached at Alabama. Go figure why Auburn doesn't matter to him. ;)

thanks, I had wanted to do something with that picture for a while, it's a good one. I finally got photoshop, so I'm able to crank out these things a bit easier now.

/hijack

You might consider giving the "original" photographer credit. I belive that's one of Rick Yeatts photos. So, you might consider asking for permission prior to using it in your signature line. Just a suggestion. I noticed you made the background B/W as opposed to color, but a sunset always look good in my book. ;)

Original photo (on RJY.com -- LINK)

20071013_0024.jpg