For Those Thinking Of Skipping Wku Game

emmitt01

I've been thinking about this game a lot lately. The depressing way we lost to Ark State. The meltdowns by our defense ALL YEAR long. Even that feeling I get in the pit of my stomach when we go up by multiple touchdowns in the first half...with time still on the clock.

What I've been thinking about more than any of this, though, is the seniors who were a part of the last New Orleans Bowl run. Mo Holman who has been the heart and soul of our linebacking corps. Jamario Thomas who, regardless of what you think of his last three years, gave us all something truly special that we will talk about for years to come. Aaron Weathers who has been a stud. I think of them and I realize that they didn't come up with the schemes this year, they just went out and tried to execute game in and game out...and never quit. I think of them and then I think of what I owe them. I owe them the courtesy of being there as they come trotting out of that tunnel on Saturday. I too will refuse to quit. This is MY university, MY team.

So if you're considering going hunting, doing some much needed housework, or just sitting on the coach and listening on the radio please reconsider. We may not be ecstatic about the way this season has gone...but neither should we refuse to show our true character by not being there for these players.

North Texas will salute 18 seniors prior to this week’s game with Western Kentucky. Being recognized will be Josh Alexander, Lawrence Brown, Blake Burruss, Brian Carlson, Jeremiah Chapman, Roderick Cotton, Deavin Cox, Brandon Dixon, Raifu Durodoye, Cliff Higgs, Maurice Holman, Brandon Jackson, Derek Mendoza, Brandon Monroe, Montey Stevenson, Jamario Thomas, Adam Venegas and Aaron Weathers. Of the 18 seniors being honored, 11 will finish their careers as four-year letterwinners. There are 259 career starts by the 18 seniors, led by Jeremiah Chapman who will be starting his 35th game this week. Five of the 18 seniors being recognized this week played in the last bowl game that North Texas participated in. Maurice Holman, Brandon Jackson, Derek Mendoza, Brandon Monroe and Jamario Thomas all saw significant action as freshmen in the 2004 New Orleans Bowl.
Even with all of the struggles on defense this year, that's a hell of a senior class that we get to see play their last game at Fouts. Edited by Bryan316

I've been thinking about this game a lot lately. The depressing way we lost to Ark State. The meltdowns by our defense ALL YEAR long. Even that feeling I get in the pit of my stomach when we go up by multiple touchdowns in the first half...with time still on the clock.

What I've been thinking about more than any of this, though, is the seniors who were a part of the last New Orleans Bowl run. Mo Holman who has been the heart and soul of our linebacking corps. Jamario Thomas who, regardless of what you think of his last three years, gave us all something truly special that we will talk about for years to come. Aaron Weathers who has been a stud. I think of them and I realize that they didn't come up with the schemes this year, they just went out and tried to execute game in and game out...and never quit. I think of them and then I think of what I owe them. I owe them the courtesy of being there as they come trotting out of that tunnel on Saturday. I too will refuse to quit. This is MY university, MY team.

So if you're considering going hunting, doing some much needed housework, or just sitting on the coach and listening on the radio please reconsider. We may not be ecstatic about the way this season has gone...but neither should we refuse to show our true character by not being there for these players.

That is all the reason anyone should need.

I will never forget Patrick Cobbs and his senior day...same situation, right after Thanksgiving, and I think the official attendance was 8,000.

RETSO and I who go to every game, winless, or bowl ready, as many of you do, were in the stands that day and will find it hard to be convinced there were more than 2,000 in the stands that Saturday.

It was a true shame to see Cobbs go out on senior day like that.

Lets not let this happen to this year's seniors...please go out and support these guys who have played their hearts out regardless of the record...we owe them that at least.

Great post Emmitt. I agree with you we need to be there for our seniors last home game. Lets go out with a WIN and get all slimy against W.KYjelly.

I don't have all the attendance numbers for all our home games this Fall, but aren't we pretty darn close to hitting an all time per home game attendance record for all home games that were at Fouts Field? Then again, who knows, we may not even be close.

But back in the day, we were able to inflate some home averages because of some decent crowds we had when we hosted teams at Texas Stadium, but anyway.....anyone have some attendance figures thus far and.............

.......how many do we need to have versus WKU to (possibly?) set an all time Fouts Field per home game attendance record in 2007?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

For me, it's unfortunate that I have family driving in from the DFW area for Thanksgiving. Otherwise, I would drive the 700+ RT miles and make the game. We have had great turnouts this season for our home games and I sure would hate to see the average attendance suffer because of this one game. Too bad the students won't be out in force. Those of you who live within a couple of hours of Denton should do everything possible to be in Denton for the last home game that will honor the seniors on the team.

Edited by DeepGreen

For me, it's unfortunate that I have family driving in from the DFW area for Thanksgiving. Otherwise, I would drive the 700+ RT miles and make the game. We have had great turnouts this season for our home games and I sure would hate to see the average attendance suffer because of this one game. Too bad the students won't be out in force. Those of you who live within a couple of hours of Denton should do everything possible to be in Denton for the last home game that will honor the seniors on the team.

Phil, you have to be one of our Top 10 MG Fan Who Travels The Most Miles (and who comes to the games on a regular basis). Sorry we didn't have more time to talk under the Press Box side last game, but mother nature was calling and I just had to go in and reminisce about the good ol' days of our famous Men's Restroom Wailing Wall. It is one of the first things that still sticks out in my mind concerning Fouts as a Mean Green fan (and NT student) back in 1973. Seems the student side mens restroom was even in worse shape if I recall.

Yall have a Happy Thanksgiving and BTW....... who does your Aggie daughter want to take Coach Fran's place when TAMU fires him? :blink:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

That is all the reason anyone should need.

I will never forget Patrick Cobbs and his senior day...same situation, right after Thanksgiving, and I think the official attendance was 8,000.

RETSO and I who go to every game, winless, or bowl ready, as many of you do, were in the stands that day and will find it hard to be convinced there were more than 2,000 in the stands that Saturday.

It was a true shame to see Cobbs go out on senior day like that.

Lets not let this happen to this year's seniors...please go out and support these guys who have played their hearts out regardless of the record...we owe them that at least.

I was there too. There is no way that there were 8000 people there, just no way. I'll never forget it because Johnny Quinn ran a punt back for a touchdown and it got called back because of a stupid fight on the opposite side of the field.

Emmit, I do not know you, but I know who you are. With that being said, you just brought tears to my eyes! When some guy gives you a monster hug and says "thank you" Saturday, don't shoot, it's just me! It is really hard to believe that this is going to be it for a lot of these guys. I have met quite a few of these players over the years via JaMario and I must say that they are really a great bunch of guys and deserve nothing but the best that life has to give! My only hope is that T.D. will show his respect and honor these men by allowing them to finish with the dignity of starting and finishing the game. He has said all year how he wants to do something special with/for the Seniors...Here is his chance to prove to these guys that he is genuine! It would be a tremendous gesture.

All of you guys have been great over the years, and once again, thanks for taking care of JaMario...He WILL be graduating in May and that is what he is truly proud of!!!

See ya'll Saturday

I don't have all the attendance numbers for all our home games this Fall, but aren't we pretty darn close to hitting an all time per home game attendance record for all home games that were at Fouts Field? Then again, who knows, we may not even be close.

But back in the day, we were able to inflate some home averages because of some decent crowds we had when we hosted teams at Texas Stadium, but anyway.....anyone have some attendance figures thus far and.............

.......how many do we need to have versus WKU to (possibly?) set an all time Fouts Field per home game attendance record in 2007?

North Texas will be very close to setting an all-time home attendance record in this week’s game against Western Kentucky. The highest average attendance for North Texas during a season is 19,704 which was set in four games during the 1997 season and included a game against Texas A&M at Texas Stadium. The highest average attendance with all games at Fouts Field is 19,517 which was set in 1994. The Mean Green needs to have 14,878 at Fouts Field this week to average 19,705 for the season.

Both of my posts are from the mgs.com article that went up today. That's one of the bigger senior classes we've had, and a large part of our defense. Plus, if we can get those 15,000 fans, we can look back on how we had a record for average attendance in a 1-9 (at the time) season.

I would love to see Jamario and company play one last time.

Emmitt, you know my paint, wear it if you suddenly get the balls and weirdness to do so. Hopefully in a year or so I'll have my little man there and won't be missing games anymore.

And yes, Jamario graduating is alone a reason for a "guy cry". UNT didn't overlook him because of his learning disability, and instead made sure he had a support system. The #1 rusher in the country could have gone elsewhere and maybe even had more success, but he was a "risk" and they blew him off.

Some of US have similar situations, and North Texas came through for us. I'd like to know who else has a story similar to Jamario's and mine. If you've missed my comments and such on my background and want to know, message me, but I'd really like to know who else got a major life-changing experience due only to the fact that it was Denton to which they came.

So if you're considering going hunting, doing some much needed housework, or just sitting on the coach and listening on the radio please reconsider.

I think you truly have something there. Who's going to volunteer to sit on Mendoza to keep him from being at the game??? Come'on, anyone willing for the team????? FFR???? :rolleyes:

Get post Emmit, but unfortunately i will not be able to make the game. If anyone has family that is coming in and they want to go to the game I have four reserved seats in section F. No charge for the tickets just email me if you are interested at jeff.cantrell@freemanco.com.

I wish I could be there to honor and remember the 2004 seniors...they provided us so many great memories...like drunken bowl game hugs of Jamario Thomas' mother whilst repeating over and over "make sure your son doesn't transfer." I was at Patrick Cobbs senior game and unless every body was counted 3 times theres no way there were 8000 people there...or even in the parking lot...it was a very poor way to send out a UNT legend...I pray this class won't have that same lasting memory.

At the Coach Dodge show last evening at Sweetwater, I learned that if we have 15,000+ in the stadium on Saturday, we will set a home attendance record! Come on Mean Green fans...we have to be there...weather will be "interesting" perhaps, but the game will go on! It's Senior Day....let's show our support.

Here's a question...can/do we count all season ticket sales as attendance even if the holder does not actually show up at the game or is it just actual attendance? Does nayone know the REAL story here?

SEE YOU Sat. at the game.....

GO MEAN GREEN....Exciting it is!

If everyone can go, please go! Send these Seniors out with support. They've poured their heart and souls into Mean Green football the last 4-5 years and it has basically been their life. We owe it to them to support them. We also owe it to all of the people involved with Mean Green football, starting with the players & coaches, to the trainers and equipment people, and on down the list. These guys have absolutely worked their tails off for the last 5 months day in and day out, and they need our support.

Plus it's a great way to show the leader of our program, Todd Dodge, that we are behind him and what he is doing. Guys, let's face it. This is a new era in North Texas football. These boys are getting taught how to be great football players and great young men. Players are being taught character, discipline, honesty, etc...We are setting offensive records on the field. It's fun to watch these games. Recruiting has never been better. We have a coach with a plan, and a vision...and he is beginning to get the players and his staff to execute that plan. The plan is one that everyone will like, enjoy, and totally support. There is an energy on this board. Everyone seems very passionate and seems to care about what happens with the program...no matter how bad those people criticize coaches/players whatever...that is a good sign! They are behind the program and care about it very much. It looks like home attendance will be at an all time high for a 3-9 team (yes, I said 3-9...optimistic :innocent:) and that is a great sign. This program is moving forward, and getting better every day that Coach Dodge goes to work at the Athletic Center.

we'll be there. we decided before the season began that we were going to support the team no matter what. i agree they are our team and our university. we owe them that much. and this way we can say that we were there at the beginning of the dodge era and the return of the university to more halcyon days!