Oklahoma State

Lots of new faces for Sean Sutton and the Pokies...and two major holes to fill in departed post Mario Boggan (19.0ppg, 7.6rpg) and scoring guard JamesOn Curry (17.3ppg, 3.7apg). Sutton responded with a deep and talented recruiting class and if their first game (104-48 over Prairie View A&M) is an indication of things to come, OSU will have lots of fire power and few problems finding contributors to make up the 36 points per game missing from their line up.

Frontcourt: The job of replacing Boggan was going to fall to junior Kenny Cooper, but Cooper transferred over the summer and the post position will fall to a pair of true freshmen. Ibrahima Thomas (6'11" 238) is a long and athletic, yet raw post from Senegal. Thomas started against PVAM and went 5 for 5 for 11 points and 4 boards in just 16 minutes. Complimenting Thomas will be freshman Martavius Adams (6'8" 255); Adams posted similar numbers in OSU's opener, going 4 of 5 from the field, netting 11 points as well. For veteran leadership, Sutton signed Anthony Brown (6'6" 225), a JUCO transfer from Carl Albert JC. Brown is a bit undersized, but very strong and physical and is an ideal four in OSU's up-tempo style. Brown scored 8 points in 11 minutes of action. Marcus Dove (6'9" 215) is one of just two seniors on the Pokies roster and is versitille enough to play anywhere from the 2 to the 5. Dove is very athletic and a great defender and rebounder...and unconcerned with his offensive numbers, taking just four shots against PV, but pulling down 5 boards and dishing 4 assists.

Backcourt: Athletic. Easilly the best word to describe this unit. Junior Obi Muonelo (6'5" 215) returns as the Pokies leading scorer (10.1ppg). Muonelo can jump out of the gym, shoots well, and has a decent enough handle to see limited time at the point, but often plays too fast and out of control. Muonelo put up 16, 12 of which came on his 4-7 three point shooting, and pulled down a team high six rebounds against PV. Terrel Harris (6'5" 190 Jr.) was right behind Muonelo in scoring last season (10.0ppg), but is the epitome of streaky, and demonstrated that with a 0 for 7 shooting performance in the opener, and this was at home...last season Harris excelled at Gallagher-Iba but struggled mightly on the road. Byron Eaton (5'11" 215(uhhh...very generous, at times closer to 230)) returns as the Pokies primary ball handler, and if he embraces that roll OSU could excede this season's expectations...but Eaton fancies himself a scorer and if he leads OSU in points on Wednesday, UNT will be in great shape. Eaton did go 4 of 6 against PV for 12 points and 4 assists. Sutton's prized recruit lived up to his billing against Prairie View; James Anderson (6'6" 195 Fr.) put up 29 on 11 of 15 shooting, and found time to lead OSU in assists with 5. Anderson was Mr. Basketball in Arkansas last season. Two other freshmen saw time in OSU's opener; Marshall Moses (6'6" 215) and Nick Sidorakis (6'4" 175) combined for 13 points and along with sharp-shooter Brad Garrett (6'5" 188 Soph.) a transfer from Southern Idaho give Sutton plenty of big , athletic guards to run his up tempo style.

Overall: In terms of legitimate talent...OSU is lacking everywhere except in true freshman Anderson. In terms of athleticism, UNT will not see a comparable team...and the pressure will fall to Ben Bell, Dez Willingham and Josh White to make smart decisions against an aggressive, pressing defense that forced 36 turnovers against PV. OSU likes to run, and this game has the potential to finish with both teams in the 80s or 90s if UNTs offense is clicking. In terms of match-ups...Bell, Willingham and White can pressure Eaton and force him into mistakes; it will be more difficult for UNT to match up with OSU's height on the wing, especially if Dennis starts at the two. Up front, Wooden and Williams should be able to bang with the young OSU posts. I dont believe a shootout is advisable, but it may be unavoidable...this is a winnable game and I think the mindset of Johnny Jones and the UNT team has reached a point where it expects to win games like this, especially at home (where a packed house would provide a wonderful home-court advantage...HINT, HINT!!!!!) A win would be huge in sparking the positive momentum created last season.

Prediction: UNT - 87 OSU - 84

It looks like NT will start the same line-up as last time: Q, Wooden, Bell, Thompson and White.

James Anderson, 6-6 wing, is the player we are most concerned with containing defesively. He can drive or shoot 3's. Coach Leonard called him "a scoring fool" and it wasn't meant as an insult. Anderson will probably be guarded by Tristan and later by McCoy and Bell. Maybe Tristan, who likes to penetrate and often draws fouls, can get Anderson into foul trouble. 6-9 Marcus Dove is OSU's best rebounder and an excellent defensive player.

It looks like NT will start the same line-up as last time: Q, Wooden, Bell, Thompson and White.

James Anderson, 6-6 wing, is the player we are most concerned with containing defesively. He can drive or shoot 3's. Coach Leonard called him "a scoring fool" and it wasn't meant as an insult. Anderson will probably be guarded by Tristan and later by McCoy and Bell. Maybe Tristan, who likes to penetrate and often draws fouls, can get Anderson into foul trouble. 6-9 Marcus Dove is OSU's best rebounder and an excellent defensive player.

Hmmm...OSU has been starting a big guard line up...Tyrel Harris (6'5"), Obi Muonelo (6'5") and James Anderson (6'6")...so I would be hesitant to start the 5'10" White when you have McCoy (6'4") and Dennis (6'2") and Hogans (6'6") available...

Hmmm...OSU has been starting a big guard line up...Tyrel Harris (6'5"), Obi Muonelo (6'5") and James Anderson (6'6")...so I would be hesitant to start the 5'10" White when you have McCoy (6'4") and Dennis (6'2") and Hogans (6'6") available...

When you have a 5'9" point guard, he is almost always going to be a mismatch against our opponents' guards. I noted the smaller line up (versus previous years) in one of my initial overviews of this team. Triston is the only (active) guard over 6'4" and he is only a buck eighty five. Josh White undoubtedly has faced this mismatch throughout his career, and hopefully has learned how to deal with this effectively. This size issue with be with us throughout the season, and will require stellar play from our smaller guards... Lastly, I wondered in an earlier post if we'd see this White/Bell combo in starting roles as we did against Cameron. I guess JJ liked what he saw and may go with it. I think I'd rather see White or Bell and McCoy start. Also, minor point, but Hogans is 6'7' no t 6'6" .... Wouldn't be great if Hogans could some time at the guard spot if we have problems? I don't know that he has the outside shot though.

When you have a 5'9" point guard, he is almost always going to be a mismatch against our opponents' guards. I noted the smaller line up (versus previous years) in one of my initial overviews of this team. Triston is the only (active) guard over 6'4" and he is only a buck eighty five. Josh White undoubtedly has faced this mismatch throughout his career, and hopefully has learned how to deal with this effectively. This size issue with be with us throughout the season, and will require stellar play from our smaller guards... Lastly, I wondered in an earlier post if we'd see this White/Bell combo in starting roles as we did against Cameron. I guess JJ liked what he saw and may go with it. I think I'd rather see White or Bell and McCoy start. Also, minor point, but Hogans is 6'7' no t 6'6" .... Wouldn't be great if Hogans could some time at the guard spot if we have problems? I don't know that he has the outside shot though.

Most point guards White will face this year max out at about 6'3"...and I doubt highly he saw too many much taller than that in H.S. If OSU sticks with its starting line-up it has in its first three games, Obi Muonelo will be starting at point and he's a long and athletic 6'5"with a good outside shot...White would be giving up 7-8 inches and Muonelo can shoot right over him. 5'11" Byron Eaton will see plenty of minutes for OSU...so get White minutes against him. Add the fact that your most experienced guard is Collin Dennis...and a good start is key in a game like this. As for Hogans, if he is athletic as I've heard...haven't seen him at all...getting him some minutes at the 3 as a defensive stopper could be a huge role for him...despite any sort of a shot...surround him with scorers and he won't have to get a bucket ala Bruce Bowen.

"Oklahoma State played no road games in the non-conference slate last year and finished 0-8 on the road in Big 12 play.

The failure to win even a single road game was likely a major factor in the Cowboys accepting an NIT invitation for the second straight year rather than making the NCAA Tournament during their 22-13 campaign."

Most point guards White will face this year max out at about 6'3"...and I doubt highly he saw too many much taller than that in H.S. If OSU sticks with its starting line-up it has in its first three games, Obi Muonelo will be starting at point and he's a long and athletic 6'5"with a good outside shot...White would be giving up 7-8 inches and Muonelo can shoot right over him. 5'11" Byron Eaton will see plenty of minutes for OSU...so get White minutes against him. Add the fact that your most experienced guard is Collin Dennis...and a good start is key in a game like this. As for Hogans, if he is athletic as I've heard...haven't seen him at all...getting him some minutes at the 3 as a defensive stopper could be a huge role for him...despite any sort of a shot...surround him with scorers and he won't have to get a bucket ala Bruce Bowen.

CBL.... I think we both agree that our concerns over White's height are unfounded. He was one the most productive players on the court tonight. I really thought that Josh would find a way to perform even when outmatched in size and weight.... I think Josh just earned his starting position on the team tonight....

CBL.... I think we both agree that our concerns over White's height are unfounded. He was one the most productive players on the court tonight. I really thought that Josh would find a way to perform even when outmatched in size and weight.... I think Josh just earned his starting position on the team tonight....

I can't believe we finally have a guy who's small enough and handles the rock in traffic that it makes it very difficult to get the ball away from him, PLUS, he has ice in his veins at the stripe.

My new favorte player.

Rick