Navy, N. Texas Score Most Combined Points In Regulation Fbs Game

Mean Green 93-98

Link to story + box score

DENTON, Texas (AP) -- Navy and North Texas set a major-college record by combining for 136 points in the Midshipmen's 74-62 win on Saturday.

It wasn't the highest scoring game of the season, though. Weber State and Portland State, who racked up 141 for the all-division record two weeks ago. Weber State won 73-68 in a Football Championship Subdivision (formerly I-AA) game.

The previous record for college football's top tier of competition was 133 points in San Jose State's 70-63 win over Rice on Oct. 2, 2004.

Rice also had the highest score by a losing team in that game, a distinction the Mean Green missed out on by a single point.

Navy, the nation's best rushing offense, set a school record by running for 572 yards with eight rushing TDs a week after snapping a 43-year losing streak to Notre Dame.

The Midshipmen (6-4) tied a school record by scoring at least 30 points for the eighth straight game. They scored their most points in a game since beating Colby 121-0 in 1919.

Zerbin Singleton ran for three touchdowns, including a 65-yard run midway through the third quarter that pushed Navy ahead 58-49. That was the fourth straight touchdown for the Midshipmen, a stretch that put them ahead for the first time.

Singleton's 65-yard score was set up after Ram Vela intercepted a pass by Giovanni Vizza, who threw an NCAA freshman-record eight touchdown passes. Both of Vizza's interceptions came in the second half.

A week ago, Navy beat Notre Dame 46-44 in triple overtime. The Midshipmen and North Texas combined for more points than that by halftime, when the Mean Green led 49-45.

On Saturday, the teams combined to score 94 points in the first half and 63 in the second quarter to set two bowl subdivision records.

North Texas led 49-45 at the half. The previous record for points in a half of a major college game was 76, set by Houston and Tulsa in 1968.

North Texas led 21-10 after the first quarter, but Navy outscored the Mean Green 35-28 in the second. The Midshipmen had 325 yards of total offense in the second quarter, while North Texas gained 265.

The old mark for points in a quarter was set Nov. 6, 1999, when San Jose State and Hawaii combined to score 61 points in the fourth quarter. Hawaii won the game 62-41.

Yep, that's why "in regulation" is in the title.

8 records set tonight...

2 school records for Navy for 8 consecutive 30+ point games and total rushing offense.

SIX national records...points in regulation, points in a half, points in first half, points in second half, points in a quarter, and what should REALLY matter to everyone on this board...VIZZA! Freshman record in the NCAA with 8 passing TDs in a game. If the Dodge D can equal the offense by next September, watch out, we will KILL!

not to be a smarta$$, but I thought this was the highest scoring game...

The October 7, 1916, American football game between the Georgia Tech Engineers and the Cumberland College Bulldogs (now Cumberland University) was the most-lopsided game in the history of college football. Georgia Tech won, 222–0.

Here's the box score:

1 2 3 4 Total

Cumberland 0 0 0 0 0

Georgia Tech 63 63 54 42 222

Edited by GMoney

Yeah, I remember hearing about that game but...

Did the NCAA exist back then?

Pretty sure most records are based off of when they had a national standard to which they could apply scores, statistics, and the like, one of the many reasons they formed a national association.

Does anybody know when the NCAA began? I thought it was in the 1940's after WWII but I could be wrong. Does 1946 or 1947 sound right?

not to be a smarta$$, but I thought this was the highest scoring game...

The October 7, 1916, American football game between the Georgia Tech Engineers and the Cumberland College Bulldogs (now Cumberland University) was the most-lopsided game in the history of college football. Georgia Tech won, 222–0.

Here's the box score:

1 2 3 4 Total

Cumberland 0 0 0 0 0

Georgia Tech 63 63 54 42 222

Being Cumberland had disbanded the football program that year and played that game with an untrained pick up team, I don't think that game should be a record of anything. Partial write-up from Wikipedia.

Cumberland University, a school in Lebanon, Tennessee, had actually discontinued its football program before the season but was not allowed to cancel its game against the Engineers. Tech coach John Heisman was in no mood to accommodate the Bulldogs, perhaps because Tech's baseball team had lost 22–0 to Cumberland the previous year amidst allegations of Cumberland using professionals as ringers. The fact that Cumberland had crushed Georgia Tech earlier that year probably accounted for Heisman's running up the score on the Bulldogs. He insisted on the schools' scheduling agreement, which required Cumberland to pay $3,000 (a lot of money in 1916) to Tech if its football team failed to show. So, George Allen (who was elected to serve as Cumberland's football team student manager after first serving as the baseball team student manager) put together a scrub team of 14 men (including some of his Kappa Sigma brothers) to travel to Atlanta as Cumberland's football team.

53437480-7c94-4be4-b17b-4ae6c8bf3f44.jpg

This may be Boomer's first EVER AP photo?

Rick

Did anyone besides me notice that this seems to be an ALL FEMALE cannon crew? Rick, you should be proud of your girls. You trained 'em........... ;)

To quote the late ( and great) Bette Davis, "If you want something done well, get a couple of broads to do it". ;)

Edited by SilverEagle

Did anyone besides me notice that this seems to be an ALL FEMALE cannon crew? Rick, you should be proud of your girls. You trained 'em........... ;)

To quote the late ( and great) Bette Davis, "If you want something done well, get a couple of broads to do it". ;)

Yeah, I'm proud of them. Most wouldn't know it but there were two misfires on original detonation yet the girls were able to get around it and get the shot off in time using alternate means. Great stuff!

Rick