Fire Mendoza...now!

JayDub

Has Brandon Monroe lost a step, or is injured to the point that he cannot play? As I recall from the assessments about him when he was a freshman, besides being big (6-2 X 230) he was also very fast. Why is he sitting on the bench and only playing with the special teams? Did he not say "yessir" enough times during spring and fall practice? Why isn't Steve Warren out there? That guy used to bring a big hit with him when he arrived at the point of contact.

Maybe he's being "redirected" by the wide receiver coach with full approval of the head coach.

What a sickening slap to Aaron Weathers, Blake Burruss, Jeremy Chapman, Jo Miller, Montey Stevenson's etc... faces. Evidently Coaches Dodge and Ford didn't need a second recruiting class or two for their offense to WORK?

Countless defensive lettermen alumni sit near our section. Members of some of our better defenses we have ever had in the past and all of them, ALL OF THEM

have been shaking their heads at what they have seen all sesaon scheme wise and I have yet to hear any concerns to be about talent level on this team. Sure, if you had a team chocked full of Brandon Kennedy's, Jonas Buckles, Craig Jones and Brad Kassels you would be doing pretty good.

I guess you haven't heard...DD couldn't recruit any good defensive players. It was all a mirage back then, perpetrated in the slyest fashion with defensive coordinators and coaches with years of college experience. B)

1060410.jpeg

Oh, and I forgot to mention...his production and player relationships just might make Coach Dodge's job a little easier.

He's been gone for so long, he no longer would have any player relationships.

Not poo-pooing on the idea, just pointing out he's be gone a long time.

i agree with part of what was said above. I am a big Todd Dodge fan but he does not get a pass on this. He is THE head coach. I understand that he has installed "his" offense and they have done a tremendous job. However, this defense is just as much his responsibility. TD needs a strong defensive coordinator for this program to be successful. Offensive minded coaches do not win championships withouth a good defensive coordinator. Your assistant has to balance out your weakness. If Dodge thinks that Mendoza is the answer for that, it concerns me. We are going to have a hard time winning with Mendoza. If you have that much belief in him, demote him to an assistant on the defensive and let him grow but it is brutually obvious that he is not cut out to be a d coordinator right now. Who are we going to hire?? At this point is that a legitimate question? In all seriousness, could our defensive be any worse??

Yeah, there's no doubt that something has got to be done before next season. I have very little doubt that most of our relatively undersized and slower 1AA defenses under Corky, Parker, and Simon would be doing a much better job. Defense and Special teams have generally been our strong points here for decades, and do we really have to give those up in order to have a strong offense? No!!! I love the Spread Offense, but this "Spread Defense" has got to go because it ain't gonna work at this level. The opposing offense doesn't even have to work very hard to spread us out because we're doing it voluntarily. They're plain and simply overwhelming us. No excuses for this with the overall quality of our athletes on defense. If our offense had been inept yesterday, they could of hung 150 points on us.

I agree. That was a GREAT post and right on target. Mendoza needs to go, friendships aside.

Also, we need to recruit some stud defensive lineman in a hurry. We have a big bag of nothing on the defensive line. Chapman is having a very bad year. We need two DT's who are 6'2- 6'3 and weigh 280 - 320 and can move a little. We also need two DE's who play similar to Willis Hudson from the Matt Simon / Dennis Parker era. Finally, we need better CB's and safety's and who resspect the coach. They are out there and shouldn't be too hard to find.

Seriously, Mendoza is the worst DC I have ever watched coach the game of football. And what is so bad we have a couple of guys on defense that has a shot at the next level but he is even making it tough for them to get a legitmate look. Mendoza's coaching is not correctable...HE IS NOT A D1 COACH. I actually did not think things could get that much worse but Mendoza proved me wrong!

I try not to ask for the DC's resignation, but it is too difficult. He has no ability for this level.

Everyone in the stadium that has any basic knowledge of football knew that only three players were going to get the ball....the FB, the QB....and the pitch man. On the rare occasion that they were going to pass they ALWAYS threw to one player....#89. As one of the all-conference LB's who played under Corky Nelson said (as he was passing in front of me...and was shaking his head in dismay) "QB, FB, pitch-man.....how hard can that be?"

under-rated

That pretty much sums it up.

Yeah, there's no doubt that something has got to be done before next season. I have very little doubt that most of our relatively undersized and slower 1AA defenses under Corky, Parker, and Simon would be doing a much better job. Defense and Special teams have generally been our strong points here for decades, and do we really have to give those up in order to have a strong offense? No!!! I love the Spread Offense, but this "Spread Defense" has got to go because it ain't gonna work at this level. The opposing offense doesn't even have to work very hard to spread us out because we're doing it voluntarily. They're plain and simply overwhelming us. No excuses for this with the overall quality of our athletes on defense. If our offense had been inept yesterday, they could of hung 150 points on us.

You are correct. Time of possession and our ability to move the football were the only thing that kept Navy's score below 100. And that SPREAD DEFENSE has got to stop! I'll take the occasional mistake from an attacking over pursuing defense, before I'll take the constant whipping of a spread out man on man defense any day. Just really makes no sense to me what we are trying to accomplish out there defensively. I just don't get it. :angry:

So we fire Mendoza and replace him with who? You seem to know which defensive schemes work, so the solution should be easy. Hire a coach with a proven college scheme. Please shed some light on this coach in the college ranks.

Two things for everyone, see above, defending Mendoza.....Fred Bleil and read SilverEalge's post, oh and also read FFR's. I was sitting with them last night in awe of how our talent on defense, #61 in the country last year minus Sky Pruitt, has turned to this. Mendoza has to go.

What defensive player wants to come to NT to play for this coordinator?

I expected a lot of Boo Birds when I got home. Of course we now have 4 less DB's than when we started the season and 2 less Linebackers...but lets blame the coach. I've seen Navy play on TV at least twice...and neither opposing team could stop Navy's rushing attack either (1 game was Notre Dame)

I could be wrong but in all honesty I believe TD is very loyal with his coaches and I don't expect to see a change at this time or this year.

OT, I respect your dedication to NT and all that you do, but you can't tell me you are pleased with Mendoza taking last year's talent and creating the worst defense in D1? Check out the Navy stats and tell me how you defend Mendoza.

Navy stats

10 yards per carry for the game!

Edited by UNTLifer

i hope some of you are kidding... i thought that our standards were getting higher around here?? if you give up over 60 points, 3 times... the d coordinator has to be fired. do not make excuses for this. our d is horrible and someone has to be responsible for that. Mendoza has to go.

yes, please.

Everyone in the stadium that has any basic knowledge of football knew that only three players were going to get the ball....the FB, the QB....and the pitch man. On the rare occasion that they were going to pass they ALWAYS threw to one player....#89. As one of the all-conference LB's who played under Corky Nelson said (as he was passing in front of me...and was shaking his head in dismay) "QB, FB, pitch-man.....how hard can that be?"

By the way, let me remind about the person you speak of as he should know a little about facing the triple option since he and his teammates did so three years straight against Wacker's vaunted TCU option offenses in '84(finished the season ranked 12th nationally), '85 and '86. In '85 our all-conference LB led a defense that held TCU's ground game to 14 points in a 14-10 loss, and finally got a win against them the next year in '86, 24-20. It's made the biggest impression on me when I see and hear and these guys who have excelled at this level shaking their heads in disgust in what they have seen on the field this season in regards to defensive schemes and adjustments.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

By the way, let me remind about the person you speak of as he should know a little about facing the triple option since he and his teammates did so three years straight against Wacker's vaunted TCU option offenses in '84(finished the season ranked 12th nationally), '85 and '86. In '85 our all-conference LB led a defense that held TCU's ground game to 14 points in a 14-10 loss, and finally got a win against them the next year in '86, 24-20. It's made the biggest impression on me when I see and hear and these guys who have excelled at this level shaking their heads in disgust in what they have seen on the field this season in regards to defensive schemes and adjustments.

Rick

Rick can you take a sabbatical from your job and go out there and lead the defensive?

Dream on. Phil Bennett isn't coming here to be our DC. He can be a DC in a BCS conference any time he wants to.

He lives in DFW already and is going to probably need a coordinator job before he becomes a head coach again. Both suggest to me that he'd consider an offer from North Texas.

Last night was the final straw. Mendoza should be gone.

Today should be Mendoza's last day at UNT. He has shown he can't coach at this level.....the worse defense I have ever seen at UNT. There has been no improvement since day one, only worse. How long will Dodge allow this guy to embarass UNT and kill support? I like many had tickets to this game and did't go....cancelled air fare and stayed home....not going to spend several hundred bucks to go see a game when I was sure our defense would loose the game for us as it did....as it has all season long.....so is Dodge going to support UNT or Mendoza? Should Mendoza be on our payroll? Is Dodge spending our money well when hehas someone like Mendoza on the payroll? FIRE MENDOZA, get someone worth a **it.

Today should be Mendoza's last day at UNT. He has shown he can't coach at this level.....the worse defense I have ever seen at UNT. There has been no improvement since day one, only worse. How long will Dodge allow this guy to embarass UNT and kill support? I like many had tickets to this game and did't go....cancelled air fare and stayed home....not going to spend several hundred bucks to go see a game when I was sure our defense would loose the game for us as it did....as it has all season long.....so is Dodge going to support UNT or Mendoza? Should Mendoza be on our payroll? Is Dodge spending our money well when hehas someone like Mendoza on the payroll? FIRE MENDOZA, get someone worth a **it.

This is going to make some people mad.

Many folks are having the same reaction to this game that they would have had if the score had been 74-0 instead of 74-62. I was there, and sure, I was disappointed. But some of you sound suicidal, as if the whole purpose of the game was to insult you personally.

Believing the sales hype claiming that sporting events are moral battles between good and evil is partly to blame. Typically, the other team is cast as the evil one. But it is a long recognized truth of group psychology that a member of your own team can quickly become the one who must be ridden to the ground. Examples:

Darrell Dickey wasn't just a coach whose strategies and demeanor weren't working out; he was the devil. If you'll recall, after weeks and weeks and weeks of raging against Dickey that finally brought about his firing, people on this board actually drove by his house to scout out his for-sale sign and then questioned the asking price and asked publicly why no football trophies were visible in the sales photos. That must be evidence of something deep and dark in his soul, they said. This behavior wasn't just an invasion of his and his family's privacy. It was a sign of a disturbing lack of maturity, if not of a profound personality maladjustment, among those who engaged in it.

Next up in the transition from problem to Satan were the players who accused the coaching staff of racism. It was apparent pretty quickly that they were unhappy individuals who threw out a powerful accusation to divert attention from their own problems. Their allegation got its 15 minutes of fame and went away, as anyone who understood the interplay of fact and fantasy in public life knew it would. No question, their accusation made me mad, as it did many others, because it impugned the reputations of some good people. But to a lot of people, the ex-players weren't just ridiculous-sounding malcontents; they were pure evil and part of a nationwide conspiracy of hip-hop thugs and the NAACP to undermine UNT and the American way of life. Go back and read the instant psychoanalysis and leaping to moral conclusions that were posted on this board, not only about the players, but about their mothers. It was clear that many, many adults in this country have failed to develop any understanding of the difference between the filter of their own biases and how the world looks at things. It was embarrassing.

Along with that situation came the ignorant rantings about the Denton Record-Chronicle. People actually stated that the UNT hometown newspaper was conspiring against the welfare of the institution that is the newspaper's most important economic engine. Someone actually wrote that the UNT beat writer was playing down any good news about the teams he covers as part of his effort to keep UNT down. There's no way to sugarcoat it: It was ignorant and paranoid.

Now comes Mendoza. A successful defensive coordinator? Clearly not, at least not so far. A sparkling public persona? Again, no. Deserves firing? Perhaps. But the man who ruins your life? The man who makes someone cancel a trip to one of the biggest games in UNT history?

As I said, I was there, and I was disappointed that we couldn't stop the option. But here's what I took away from the game:

Seeing local enlisted sailors and officers walk proudly onto our campus, most probably for the first time, and taking away memories not just of the game, but of how warmly they were greeted. Seeing a tailgating tent across the field crowded with hundreds of visitors. Seeing our own alumni-veterans wearing both schools' colors. Standing and applauding, as a few of us did, as the Navy team came out.

Watching the local sailors join our AF ROTC and the Green Brigade in bringing out the flags. Hearing for the millionth time the band's inspiring arrangement of "America" and "The Star-Spangled Banner," only this time with four Navy fighters thundering overhead at precisely the right moment. And seeing the Navy drum and bugle corps members snap to a salute when the national anthem began.

Seeing and hearing tens of thousands of people cheer for our team. Looking over my shoulder and seeing every seat on the alumni side filled. Hearing the Green Brigade's patriotic halftime show, which they arranged and learned and rehearsed just for this game. Feeling a bit of moisture form in my eye when the Green Brigade played the Navy Hymn, which always makes me think of my dad's WWII service in the South Pacific.

Hearing Boomer go off time and time and time again, using up more ammo than in multiple games last year. And seeing every one of our players walk over to the Navy side to pay respects to their alma mater, and seeing every one of Navy's walk over to our side to pay respects to ours. That is a sight I will never, ever forget.

And to boot, weather so good you couldn't have ordered it out of a catalog.

Perhaps I should have felt bitter and betrayed as we walked over to the Pit for the basketball game. Perhaps it would have been more appropriate for me to start aiming a deeply personal hatred at Ron Mendoza for having spoiled my day.

Maybe I'm blind or crazy or both, and maybe I don't take our defensive failure seriously enough. Maybe that makes me not a real alum and fan. But I don't mind telling anybody: Despite the disappointing loss, walking across our campus after that game, I felt like a million damn dollars.

Maybe I'm blind or crazy or both, and maybe I don't take our defensive failure seriously enough. Maybe that makes me not a real alum and fan. But I don't mind telling anybody: Despite the disappointing loss, walking across our campus after that game, I felt like a million damn dollars.

People try to turn this into a black and white issue. "If you're mad about the Defense, you're just negative and missed the point of that whole day." Even the Grand Poobah himself (Harry) made a post which basically said that.

I think the bulk of the people on this board calling for Mendoza's head are doing so with total disconnect with how we felt about THE DAY Saturday.

I LOVED Saturday. We had a GREAT day on Campus. I too felt like a Million bucks after one of the most amazing days EVER on campus. ...that doesn't mean the next day we can't voice our sincere disappointment with the performance of the team or coaching staff and disect "why" we suffered such a failure.

Being angry about a football issue doesn't mean you can't have pride in a great day and event.

People try to turn this into a black and white issue. "If you're mad about the Defense, you're just negative and missed the point of that whole day." Even the Grand Poobah himself (Harry) made a post which basically said that.

I think the bulk of the people on this board calling for Mendoza's head are doing so with total disconnect with how we felt about THE DAY Saturday.

I LOVED Saturday. We had a GREAT day on Campus. I too felt like a Million bucks after one of the most amazing days EVER on campus. ...that doesn't mean the next day we can't voice our sincere disappointment with the performance of the team or coaching staff and disect "why" we suffered such a failure.

Being angry about a football issue doesn't mean you can't have pride in a great day and event.

You beat me to it.

I loved Saturday. Took the time to shake the hand of every person I saw in uniform...even walked across the stadium to go into the midst of their fans and band to do it. I too was touched by all of the pageantry and what the day meant.

On the other hand, our defense is inexcusable. Just as athletes are often told to "keep in within the lines" so too is my criticism and disgust. Within the parameters of a football field our defense has been run into the ground. I don't have an explanation for it, but I do have a few ideas:

-Touch football during practice

-Repetitive cover one schemes (which opposing coaches have gone so far as to laugh at)

-ZERO defensive adjustments at half..."QB, FB, Pitch man" (and I don't just mean the Navy game...LaLa anyone?)

Do these strike you as the types of things you would find in a division 1A football program or a high school one?

And the worst of it is that our excuses for this defense (and this team) have done a complete 180 degree turnaround. Do a search of half the posters on this board's posts from last season and you will see a common theme: "How can we expect this team to succeed. We have good athletes but the schemes and coaching are horrible." Fast forward to this season and it's: "Don't blame the schemes and the coaching. Dickey left us with no athletes." HUH? It is clear that the "demonizing" that we are so averse to doing applies to those who post here as well. Apparently if you question the direction of this program (all while buying season tickets, travelling to away games, and giving hard earned money) you are just too negative. HUH?

You beat me to it.

I loved Saturday. Took the time to shake the hand of every person I saw in uniform...even walked across the stadium to go into the midst of their fans and band to do it. I too was touched by all of the pageantry and what the day meant.

On the other hand, our defense is inexcusable. Just as athletes are often told to "keep in within the lines" so too is my criticism and disgust. Within the parameters of a football field our defense has been run into the ground. I don't have an explanation for it, but I do have a few ideas:

-Touch football during practice

-Repetitive cover one schemes (which opposing coaches have gone so far as to laugh at)

-ZERO defensive adjustments at half..."QB, FB, Pitch man" (and I don't just mean the Navy game...LaLa anyone?)

Do these strike you as the types of things you would find in a division 1A football program or a high school one?

And the worst of it is that our excuses for this defense (and this team) have done a complete 180 degree turnaround. Do a search of half the posters on this board's posts from last season and you will see a common theme: "How can we expect this team to succeed. We have good athletes but the schemes and coaching are horrible." Fast forward to this season and it's: "Don't blame the schemes and the coaching. Dickey left us with no athletes." HUH? It is clear that the "demonizing" that we are so averse to doing applies to those who post here as well. Apparently if you question the direction of this program (all while buying season tickets, travelling to away games, and giving hard earned money) you are just too negative. HUH?

Yep. The stuff about DD causing all of our woes this year because "recruiting tanked" after the Memphis bowl game, and how his "culture of losing" has so infiltrated our upperclassman's minds has got to stop. Seriously. We all look so ridiculous pointing this crap out. As you stated Emmitt, last year, we were all saying that "the talent is there"...we just need a real coaching staff that can get the best out of these guys. We have not seen that this year out of the defense or the special teams. DD never put a defense on the field that got dominated game in and game out like this one has. DD never put out special teams units that get multiple punts blocked in a game. Please stop with the "DD monster" nonsense. He gave us several successful years of NT football. Lets thank him and move on.

On another note, the game on Saturday was awesome. Flyover was great. Navy fans turned out in numbers and were a lot of fun. Crowd was awesome, and the game itself was a "once in a lifetime" spectacle. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing at this point.

Edited by Green Lantern

I haven't so much been a defender of the coaches but rather have strongly held the opinion that no one should be fired in the first year. That's just my instictive belief for any new staff.

However...

I have to admit that I am wavering in that belief. These results are shocking. There has been so very little improvement on defense, and now this last game is just unbelievable.

My instinct says you don't make staff changes in the first year, that you trust your head coach to hire the right people and then give them the chance to get established. But after these nine games, I just don't know anymore.

I haven't so much been a defender of the coaches but rather have strongly held the opinion that no one should be fired in the first year. That's just my instictive belief for any new staff.

However...

I have to admit that I am wavering in that belief. These results are shocking. There has been so very little improvement on defense, and now this last game is just unbelievable.

My instinct says you don't make staff changes in the first year, that you trust your head coach to hire the right people and then give them the chance to get established. But after these nine games, I just don't know anymore.

[Darth Vader] YOU ARE BEGINNING TO SEE THE POWER OF THE DARK SIDE... [/Darth Vader]

However...

Honestly Im with you, I ORIGINALLY thought you give the staff a mulligan the first year, no matter what. And honestly, I think I'd feel that way still IF the loses and points allowed were were within reason. But now we're on the verge of shattering alot of records that nobody is proud of or impressed with. I just think you can mulligan this year and wait until 3 or 4 games into next season to confirm problems that are standing right in front of our eyes.