Drc Blog..nt Loses Services Of 2nd Linebacker

OldTimer

Breaking (bad) news

North Texas received some bad news Wednesday when linebacker Tobe Nwigwe had his probation revoked. Nwigwe was sentenced to a jail term that will extend beyond the end of the season.

The full details will be in tomorrow's paper.

Losing Nwigwe will be a tough blow for UNT. Nwigwe was a valuable backup at middle linebacker and could have played a key role Saturday in the Mean Green's game against Navy, a team that runs the option. UNT has now lost two linebackers in just the past few weeks.

UNT had already lost backup outside linebacker Colt Mahan for the season to a shoulder injury

Fortunately for the Mean Green it has more depth at linebacker than at just about any position.

Posted by Brett Vito at 11:12 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBacks (0)

Big loss, IMO. Thank godness depth at LB has not been an issue for NT.

As a side note, anyone know why Germaine Dawson was moved to DB??? He was one of the better LB's on last years team.

Uh, NOT a big loss when a player faces jail time. Further away from the team he is, the better. See ya.

BTW, Dawson has been a backup DB all year. Was moved to LB months ago.

Out of the 17 kids that will be Sr. next year Miller will be the only one that sees extended playing time. TD has move these kids around or just benched them so they can not put up any numbers that will stop him from just playing his underclassmen. Casey and Roman will see time but both are TD kids. He made the statement this week that “after the Arkansas game that the QB position took a step backwards”. The only thing that changed was the QB. What he didn’t want Meager to put up big numbers this year. He did not play Colt or Dawson so they will not have any numbers this year. Rose has not seen the field until on one else could play. Casey has been move to slot so he can have numbers thus Brock will be replaced. Keronna has not played this year and did a fair job last year receiving the ball out of backfield and blocking

Out of the 17 kids that will be Sr. next year Miller will be the only one that sees extended playing time. TD has move these kids around or just benched them so they can not put up any numbers that will stop him from just playing his underclassmen. Casey and Roman will see time but both are TD kids. He made the statement this week that “after the Arkansas game that the QB position took a step backwards”. The only thing that changed was the QB. What he didn’t want Meager to put up big numbers this year. He did not play Colt or Dawson so they will not have any numbers this year. Rose has not seen the field until on one else could play. Casey has been move to slot so he can have numbers thus Brock will be replaced. Keronna has not played this year and did a fair job last year receiving the ball out of backfield and blocking

That is the biggest bunch of "conspiracy theory" balogney I have ever heard. If he doesn't want players who are not "his guys" to get numbers, why doesn't he bench Miller, Stevenson, BJ, Fitz, etc.?

KBJ is justed pissed off that Meager isn't starting. I don't believe we have taken a step back in the QB position at all this season nor for the future. We haven't taken a step back by playing Mosely, and your gonna see Breece play more for Brandon, and that won't take us a step back, either.

I will take several of the freshman and the heart and the way they play, all day. Sorry KBJ.

I look at Stafford's numbers and see in his true freshman season (with a much more experienced line and set of coaches) that he had 16 int's to only 8 TD passes.

I look at Mosely and see nothing but heart and determination not only in his running style but its his blocking.

I look at Dibrell and see a kid who has not put the ball on the ground and made plays.

The future is bright.

Edited by nautique

So I guess, Coach Dodge has a conspiracy against Meager?

Makes no sense to me. True freshman QB's especially with such a young OL can only do so much.

Here is a little story (KBJ) about the Number college QB recruit in American last season. A little story about the Irish and Jimmy Clausen.

Clausen, who is 1-5 as a starter, was not available for comment Thursday. But he said two weeks ago that he thought watching Notre Dame's 38-0 loss to USC from the sideline helped him.

"It slowed down a lot for me when I was on the sideline," he said. "You can see coverages slow down. You can see what defensive tendencies are. I think that's the biggest thing."

"You could see that he had some pep in step, so to speak," Weis said.

Clausen is 81-of-141 passing, a 57.4 completion rate, for 618 yards with five interceptions and one touchdown. By contrast, Evan Sharpley, who started the past two games and has played in eight, is 77-of-140 passing, a 55 percent completion rate, for 736 yards with three picks and five touchdowns.

The hope is Clausen will start the final three games.

"That's the intent," Weis said. "We're trying to get some continuity here down the stretch."

Edited by nautique

This is what baffles me. I'm guessing this defensive staff considers some of the freshman LB's better than this guy? :huh:

Or maybe they consider him talented enough to compete at DB moreso than our other LBs. Perhaps, due to our problems in the secondary and general depth at LB, they felt it was the best utilization of present talent.

Can you give some info about Tony Taveras? Where is he from and stats does he have?

He's a 5'11, 218 lb. freshman redshirt from Groesbeck, Texas. (Not sure if he's on scholarship or not.)

I do know that he was one of the players interviewed in the Channel 11 piece which aired the other night.

Tony Tavaras has no stats, not sure if he's being redshirted or not. Brandon Monroe is currently the 4th leading tackler of all the LB's on the team with 23 tackles. He's not started since ULL and was replaced by Craig Robertson. He has been playing though as he shows up on the PPR. With Nwigwe and Mahan out I would figure him to be the next fill in, then Owosu-Hemeng after that?

Rick

Tony Tavaras has no stats, not sure if he's being redshirted or not. Brandon Monroe is currently the 4th leading tackler of all the LB's on the team with 23 tackles. He's not started since ULL and was replaced by Craig Robertson. He has been playing though as he shows up on the PPR. With Nwigwe and Mahan out I would figure him to be the next fill in, then Owosu-Hemeng after that?

Rick

Rick.....the information about Taveras being the backup at MLB......came from the DC himself. I saw him at the Victory Hall cafeteria and asked him who would be taking Nwigwe's place.