Knox Commits

Cooley

November 8, 2007

TexasHoops.com Recruiting Staff

Throughout the recruiting process, Ben Knox had a number of different options. The skilled 6-foot-10, 215-pound post man from Arlington Grace Prep was thinking about riding things out until the spring, but had one school in mind if he were to decide early. As it turns out, that school has won out for his commitment for the early signing period and next week Knox will be inking to play his college basketball close to home.

"I called UNT today to tell them that I'm going to sign with them next Wednesday," Knox said. "Me and my dad had taken an unofficial visit there a couple of weeks ago, and this week me and my parents went there on an official visit and all three of us liked it a lot. We really like Coach (Johnny) Jones and Coach Price and all the players. I really like how Coach Jones coaches and all the players seem like my kind of people."

Knox and his family took in Denton and North Texas on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week, and while they were sold on the basketball portion of the package they needed to find out more about the academic side of things. "My intention is to go into engineering and we weren't sure what they had to offer," Knox said. "So when we took the trip, we took a tour of the separate engineering building, talked to their head guy, and saw that everything was state-of-the-art. That sealed the deal right there."

Some other schools had shown interest in recruiting Knox for the spring, but that is all moot as he'll ink his letter-of-intent with the Mean Green the first day of the early signing period next Wednesday. With that in the books, his concentration can now go on his senior season. "Right now, I'm trying to get a state championship," Knox said. "I also want to become as good as I can to get to the next level."

Texas Hoops Analysis: BEN is a developing big man who has shown signs of being ready to have a very good season. He knows how to work for position on the low block, can catch and finish inside 10 feet, has a nice touch around the goal and can kick it out off the low block. He is a good rebounder and shot blocker and moves well for a big man. He is still developing in many areas but shows signs of understanding the game and will get better at the next level as he is challenged by big bodies everyday in practice.

Knox and his family took in Denton and North Texas on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week, and while they were sold on the basketball portion of the package they needed to find out more about the academic side of things. "My intention is to go into engineering and we weren't sure what they had to offer," Knox said. "So when we took the trip, we took a tour of the separate engineering building, talked to their head guy, and saw that everything was state-of-the-art. That sealed the deal right there."

So does this mean he went out to Research Park and had a talk with the Dean of Engineering? If so, that is pretty impressive cooperation. :clapping:

So does this mean he went out to Research Park and had a talk with the Dean of Engineering? If so, that is pretty impressive cooperation. :clapping:

What I'm more impressed with is the addition of a major paying dividends for us. It wasn't so long ago that the engineering program wasn't what it is today so seeing it get up and running in my time around campus and then help us snag a recruit gives me hope. Now if we could just get that pesky law school hurdle cleared.

Also, here's another article from Rivals. Sounds like we were far from the only ones interested in his services:

At a solid 6-foot-9, 215-pounds, Ben Knox certainly passes the look test. But the big man from Arlington Grace Prep has a developing skill set to match and there are plenty of people who are intrigued. Knox knows that good things are coming his way with his college recruitment, but it's all a matter of what will be the best fit when it comes down to making a decision on his future.

Knox gave observers a glimpse of his potential on the AAU circuit this spring and summer with the Dallas Slam and has continued building on that during the evaluation period in September. "People like how I can play with my back to the basket, but also face up and shoot the ball," Knox said. "I can play both inside and outside and I can run the floor quickly too."

There's no shortage of those who have come away impressed after watching Knox. A number of schools have been in contact and Knox is currently in contact the most with a select five. "I'm talking to Tulsa, American, Idaho State, Charleston Southern, and UNC-Greensboro - those are the top ones right now," Knox said. "All except Idaho State are really close to offering me. I haven't scheduled any trips yet, but I plan on visiting Charleston Southern for sure and maybe Idaho State."

Charleston Southern in particular has intrigue to Knox as he's heard good things about the area and likes the interest the coaches have shown him. But in general he is wide open when it comes to his choices. His college goals are actually more academic at this point and he wants to use the game of basketball as a means of getting his tuition paid for.

"I want a good educational program - I'm looking really more at that than basketball," Knox said. "Also, I'm looking at the size of the school as I'd rather go to a bigger school than a small school. With basketball, I do want to go somewhere where I'll enjoy playing all four years."

Knox is definitely not in any rush to make a decision. There are a number of other schools who have started dabbling around with their interest - Colorado, for instance, recently came to an open gym and liked what they saw - so Knox is not ruling anything out at this point.

"I'm not planning on signing until April so I'm keeping my options open at this point," Knox said. "But if something like Colorado happened, then I'd have to (look at that)."

Edited by emmitt01

Just a few years ago, many of us would have questioned the level of opposition that Arlington Grace Prep played. Texas private schools have made huge improvements in basketball recently, and a private school background is no longer a cause of concern.

Last season Arlington Grace Prep went 23-12 and made it to the TAPPS 5-A state championship before losing to Midland Christian.

Arlington Grace Prep was the only Texas school to defeat the notorious God's Academy. The NCAA no longer accepts transcripts from the "non-traditional" Irving high school. God's Academy scored wins over Fort Worth Dunbar, Dallas Carter, Dallas Pinkston, Dallas Woodrow Wilson (twice), Seagoville, Plano, West Mesquite, North Mesquite, Mesquite Poteet, Mesquite, Rockwall and three wins over Governor Rick Perry's favorite, the equally notorious San Antonio Cornerstone Christian, on its way to a 29-2 season. Arlington Grace Christian defeated God's Academy 89-80.

Edited by Buford_Julep

Just a few years ago, many of us would have questioned the level of opposition that Arlington Grace Prep played. Texas private schools have made huge improvements in basketball recently, and a private school background is no longer a cause of concern.

Last season Arlington Grace Prep went 23-12 and made it to the TAPPS 5-A state championship before losing to Midland Christian.

Arlington Grace Prep was the only Texas school to defeat the notorious God's Academy. The NCAA no longer accepts transcripts from the "non-traditional" Irving high school. God's Academy scored wins over Fort Worth Dunbar, Dallas Carter, Dallas Pinkston, Dallas Woodrow Wilson (twice), Seagoville, Plano, West Mesquite, North Mesquite, Mesquite Poteet, Mesquite, Rockwall and three wins over Governor Rick Perry's favorite, the equally notorious San Antonio Cornerstone Christian, on its way to a 29-2 season. Arlington Grace Christian defeated God's Academy 89-80.

Since they're both Christian private schools....I wonder if there's any chance that Arlington Grace Prep is on Liberty Christian's schedule?????

Way to go....local kid with some talent and lots of room to develop at the next level! Great...brin 'em on. Sounds like the kid has some brains too if he wants to be sure the academic side fits for him. Sound like the kind of student-athlete that will be a great fit for us! GREAT!

I presume he is probably around 17 years old. At 6'10" 215lb, I'm sure he'll put on the some weight in the coming years. Do guys this tall at this age, still have room for potential growth as a HS senior and early years in college? If so, he'd push close to 7'. Any chance of this?? I am not familiar with growth and development of adolescences in this age range.

I presume he is probably around 17 years old. At 6'10" 215lb, I'm sure he'll put on the some weight in the coming years. Do guys this tall at this age, still have room for potential growth as a HS senior and early years in college? If so, he'd push close to 7'. Any chance of this?? I am not familiar with growth and development of adolescences in this age range.

All depends upon the individual. David Robinson grew something like 5-7 inches in his first year of college. I would assume that with the right strength and conditioning program, that he will put on some weight.

All depends upon the individual. David Robinson grew something like 5-7 inches in his first year of college. I would assume that with the right strength and conditioning program, that he will put on some weight.

He was a 6'6" wing when he went to school.