Typical Press Bull$**t

SUMG

Why not hold it 1 day until Saturday when people pick up the sports section to read about college football? Can it be re run at least in the Saturday or Sunday papers?

It was in today's paper. I guess Vito is talking about the stories about the Friday night games.

They could have held it until tomorrow (Sunday), since there's no Mean Green game to report on.

Edited by SUMG

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not hold it 1 day until Saturday when people pick up the sports section to read about college football? Can it be re run at least in the Saturday or Sunday papers?

They certainly could have held it, as papers and TV stations do all the time for a good story -- and this was a good story for which the paper should get some credit. But this is also a competitive story with the FWS-T, so they probably didn't want to risk getting beat. It's likely that for all they knew, the S-T got the same tip that Vito got.

But I do have a pretty strong suggestion: The D R-C needs to act immediately to update the stories on this topic that are linked on their home page. I just checked, and the active links on the home page are to two older stories -- Oubre joining the complaint and Dodge saying the players can speak freely. This is just sloppy web work, something we're all familiar with, and not a conspiracy; web sites generate ad revenues by encouraging repeat visitors, and they do that only by frequently refreshing the content. So it's actually against their financial interests not to highlight the freshest stories. The story quoting the former players should be the first one the reader sees on this topic until a fresher story comes along. Again, it's just sloppy web work that has nothing to do with the reporter or the subject.

Too bad the baseless allegations by the players didn't coincide with high school volleyball games. The story would have gotten buried and Coach Dodge wouldn't be in this mess!

Right.

Mitch Maher

does vito really expect us to believe volleyball has readers and this needs to move to page 4 because of it? lame. unt should cut off all his access to football! :angry:

does vito really expect us to believe volleyball has readers and this needs to move to page 4 because of it? lame. unt should cut off all his access to football! :angry:

Wanna bet that the next time that Vito has a negative (towards Dodge) angle on this story....that all of the sudden, it's back on page 1 of sports???

I guarantee it.

Edited by SUMG

unt should cut off all his access to football! :angry:

Oh, yeah, that will help the team's publicity. I really hope you're being sarcastic. If not, that's an absurdly ridiculous comment.

The reporting I have seen has been fair and balanced, and there have been more than a few editorial comments in the media - broadcast and print - supporting Coach Dodge. I have heard no editorials condemning Coach Dodge or calling for his suspension or ouster. In similar circumstances elsewhere, coaches have been barbequed at the first suggestion of racism. That has not happened here. The media has been responsible and restrained thus far.

This criticism of the DRC is a classic example of shooting the messenger.

Oh, yeah, that will help the team's publicity. I really hope you're being sarcastic. If not, that's an absurdly ridiculous comment.

The reporting I have seen has been fair and balanced, and there have been more than a few editorial comments in the media - broadcast and print - supporting Coach Dodge. I have heard no editorials condemning Coach Dodge or calling for his suspension or ouster. In similar circumstances elsewhere, coaches have been barbequed at the first suggestion of racism. That has not happened here. The media has been responsible and restrained thus far.

This criticism of the DRC is a classic example of shooting the messenger.

"There is little doubt the story is the biggest one out there to a lot of our readers, but to a our high school fans, it pales in comparison to Ryan and state-ranked Guyer playing in the volleyball playoffs."

Vito needs a vacation, a loooong vacation.

"There is little doubt the story is the biggest one out there to a lot of our readers, but to a our high school fans, it pales in comparison to Ryan and state-ranked Guyer playing in the volleyball playoffs."

Vito needs a vacation, a loooong vacation.

Maybe someone else is telling him that. Maybe some people on this board need to step away from gmg.com to get a....drink.

Maybe someone else is telling him that. Maybe some people on this board need to step away from gmg.com to get a....drink.

Maybe Vito really thinks volleyball is more important than restoring someones reputation. Maybe he wants to help keep UNT down by only highlighting negative stories. Maybe, maybe, maybe................ :P

Maybe Vito really thinks volleyball is more important than restoring someones reputation. Maybe he wants to help keep UNT down by only highlighting negative stories. Maybe, maybe, maybe................ :P

OK, everybody, listen and comprehend this time. Vito didn't put the story on page 4. An editor made that decision. Only an editor can make that decision. Vito was explaining the decision and was using the pronoun "we" judiciously, to avoid criticizing the paper's editors.

You think the hometown paper wants to destroy the hometown university? Think before you type. Or think at all. Good grief.

People, Brett Vito is the beat writer for North Texas athletics.

1) He doesn't have the ability to set were a story appears in the paper.

2) He doesn't have the ability to write his headline.

3) He doesn't have the a ability to update online links.

There may be a person here to criticize about the above topics, but it's not Vito.

1) He doesn't have the ability to set where a story appears in the paper.

There may be a person here to criticize about the above topics, but it's not Vito.

sounds like he doesn't have many abilities. someone is slanting the news over there.

1) He doesn't have the ability to set were a story appears in the paper.

Then I trust him to forward any emails, or correspondence that he receives, to the correct person.

sounds like he doesn't have many abilities. someone is slanting the news over there.

I'm pretty sure it's the neo cons, the tree huggers, or the vast left wing media conspiracy. But as far as I know he isn't a card carrying member of any of those groups so the blame should probably go elsewhere.

Also, by "Ability" I mean "the capacity to perform an act" or "the power to perform or accomplish something", not any judgment on his talent. Those things are just not part of his job.

Would you place more importance on a story quoting people who were in business with him 15 years ago saying they never saw any sign of corruption then, or a story quoting all the city employees of today offering hard evidence disproving the allegation?

That's just it, there has been no hard evidence (settle down Quoner) or any type of evidence for that matter.

I'm pretty sure it's the neo cons, the tree huggers, or the vast left wing media conspiracy. But as far as I know he isn't a card carrying member of any of those groups so the blame should probably go elsewhere.

Also, by "Ability" I mean "the capacity to perform an act" or "the power to perform or accomplish something", not any judgment on his talent. Those things are just not part of his job.

i know. it is probably an editor that secretly has smu ties and is covertly working to supress unt athletics.

Hey Everyone,

Those of you who say Brett Vito has no decision over the placement of a story are correct. I knew that from the start and that's why you'll notice my email was addressed first to Todd Jorgenson, the Sports Editor at the DRC and the one who does have the decision-making ability. I included Brett on the email because he was the author of the story and possibly included in the discussions of placement.

Anyway, after Brett posted the "reason" for placing the story on Page 4—volleyball day at the Chronicle—I followed up with Todd to see if that was indeed the reason and if he expected us to believe that.

Here is his response. You'll notice he did not like the tone of my email (it's another email that I did not post on gmg.com). His point is well taken. I was not happy about the "volleyball day at the Chronicle" answer and my tone could have been better.

Mitch:

Brett is correct. It was my call in terms of the layout of our Saturday section, and I stand by what we did. From the tone of your e-mail, I don't think a well-reasoned argument would sway your opinion about the situation, so I won't go into great detail. But there are a number of factors that go into page design each night, and several different readership interests to which we must cater. Whatever choices were made, it wouldn't have pleased everyone. Such is the nature of the business. I appreciate your feedback.

Todd

I've been trying to do my part is defense of Coach Dodge, pushing the DRC to give the best possible coverage for him.

I'm backing off, though, and hopeful that both Todd and Brett will do better this week.

Take care,

Mitch Maher

Todd Jorgenson, the Sports Editor at the DRC

Mitch:

Brett is correct. It was my call in terms of the layout of our Saturday section, and I stand by what we did.

Todd

Thanks Mitch,

Sounds like you "flushed out" the real trouble spot in the DRC. Hopefully he will know he's under watch for future placements.

What I'm curious about is if the allegations against Coach Dodge are proven to be false and/or unfounded after a thorough investigation, will the DRC run this on the front page? If it's not, I'm gonna cry foul on that one for sure.

Todd Jorgenson has posted something to the Belo Mean Green Blog.

This just goes to show you how much support there is in Denton for North Texas athletics:

Followers of our UNT coverage, for example, might be surprised to know that we receive calls and e-mails from readers saying we don't have enough coverage of high school cross country, high school golf, or even middle school sports. Others have suggested that we should downplay our UNT coverage and focus more on the Big 12.

Big 12 coverage? Isn't that was the DaMN is for? :blink:

The U of North Texas is only the largest employer for Denton. :rolleyes: Could you imagine what Denton might be like without its two state funded universities? Somehow I don't think they'd have all that culture they love to claim. NT helps make that town what it is today.

Todd Jorgenson has posted something to the Belo Mean Green Blog.

This just goes to show you how much support there is in Denton for North Texas athletics:

Big 12 coverage? Isn't that was the DaMN is for? :blink:

The U of North Texas is only the largest employer for Denton. :rolleyes: Could you imagine what Denton might be like without its two state funded universities? Somehow I don't think they'd have all that culture they love to claim. NT helps make that town what it is today.

The DMN owns the DRC.

I'm sure Big 12ers would love to see their stench creep through the tentacles of the DMN.