Todd Dodge Press Conference

ntsumgspe

TD is a gambler. I thoguht the 2-pt conversion made perfect sense as we had just gone for every 4th down conversion laid before us.

TD coaches a riskier game thatn DD did. It's his nature. These calculated risks will win us some games; but they also may lose some games.

I am confortable with those odds, as for the first time in a long time we are playing to win.

Dodge was probably just trying to relive the good old days at Southlake when they could go for two at any point during a ball game. Perhaps by the end of the year he'll realize there are experienced college coaches on the other sideline who are coaching rosters full scholarship athletes to oppose his team.

Or, maybe he won't. Right now, it's getting harder to tell as the season progresses.

TD is a gambler. I thoguht the 2-pt conversion made perfect sense as we had just gone for every 4th down conversion laid before us.

TD coaches a riskier game thatn DD did. It's his nature. These calculated risks will win us some games; but they also may lose some games.

I am confortable with those odds, as for the first time in a long time we are playing to win.

But I think it's more what he said... he said he didn't regret going for two so early in the game because it was 14-12 and "we'd have to go for two at some point in the game, so why not do it now?".... which is completely false on any level. I think going for 4th and short near midfield and in opponent's territory is a whole lot different than passing up a PAT to go for two.. with more than half of the game to go.

Don't get me wrong, I still support Dodge and all, I just wonder if this was poorly worded or a feeble defense of his decision.

Exactly. The thing that perhaps people are missing - (and maybe Dodge?) - is that having the one point prevents what happened to us ultimately in the game: us chasing nine point deficits instead of eight point deficits. You can overcome an eight point deficit with one TD and two-point conversion. Chasing nine has you needing two scores no matter what you choose to do after TDs later in the game.

If it's 14-12 with time dwindling down in the fourth quarter, going for two is one thing. It's completely different when it's just the second quarter and there is a whole half of football yet to be played, and with any outcome possible.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Exactly. The thing that perhaps people are missing - (and maybe Dodge?) - is that having the one point prevents what happened to us ultimately in the game: us chasing nine point deficits instead of eight point deficits. You can overcome an eight point deficit with one TD and two-point conversion. Chasing nine has you needing two scores no matter what you choose to do after TDs later in the game.

If it's 14-12 with time dwindling down in the fourth quarter, going for two is one thing. It's completely different when it's just the second quarter and there is a whole half of football yet to be played, and with any outcome possible.

It also implies that you don't expect to score more than the other team. Or that you don't trust your defense.

agreed, this frustrated me most of the game. tis much better to wait til the end of the game to go for two, then BOTH teams feel the pressure.

oh well, wouldnt have mattered much anyways when your d gives up a 70 yd TD run in the closing minutes...

Completely agree. It's not just Dodge though - there seems to be a lot of coaches that don't know the right and wrong times as to when to go for the 2. Case in point, the Mich/App St game. If Carr simply kicks the extra point at the end of the 3rd quarter, then all he has to do is kick the extra point in the 4th quarter and they have a tie game going into OT at 34-34.

you go for two when down by ten, because an extra point would put you 9 down and thus forced to score twice, where as two points gets you to 8 and a chance on one score

Ah, yes. I was thinking down by ten, a TD and a conversion leaves you down 2. wasn't even thinking about using this chart AFTER the score.

Just thought of it differently, I'm retarded.

It made no difference to the outcome of the game. Letting the Cajuns get the long run near the end and make the FG is what sealed it for them, not the 2-point miss. I have no problem with him going for 2 early to make up for the missed extra point.

I agree. If we had been successful we wouldn't hear all of this complaining. I trust in Coach Dodge and his decisions.