Time To Quit Talking About Slc

newuntfan07

You know what I am sick and tired of talking about and having Dodge comparing and talking about: SLC. Those types of questions by the board, the media, the in house marketing guys, the interviews at Hooters or the new location all need to be left behind.

UNT is not SLC. Lets quit talking about SLC and what Dodge did there or Mendoza or Riley or whatever. Lets talk about the future and where UNT is headed. Lets leave the talk about SLC behind us. No college board should give a damn about a high school program that our HC used to coach at. Its not relevant anymore. His success at SLC is not relevant anymore, it got him this job and now that program should be put to bed on this board.

I am tired of all the comparisons, both positive and negative. Why do great NCAA basketball coaches never make it in the NBA? Why did Faust and others not exceed going from high school to the collegiate level? Lets talk about now and how we are going to get there.

The momentum of hiring a high school legend only goes so far, and I am glad TD is here but the continued talk about SLC and his high school coaches must end. Lets discuss UNT football now and in the future but please, no more SLC.

You know what I am sick and tired of talking about and having Dodge comparing and talking about: SLC. Those types of questions by the board, the media, the in house marketing guys, the interviews at Hooters or the new location all need to be left behind.

UNT is not SLC. Lets quit talking about SLC and what Dodge did there or Mendoza or Riley or whatever. Lets talk about the future and where UNT is headed. Lets leave the talk about SLC behind us. No college board should give a damn about a high school program that our HC used to coach at. Its not relevant anymore. His success at SLC is not relevant anymore, it got him this job and now that program should be put to bed on this board.

I am tired of all the comparisons, both positive and negative. Why do great NCAA basketball coaches never make it in the NBA? Why did Faust and others not exceed going from high school to the collegiate level? Lets talk about now and how we are going to get there.

The momentum of hiring a high school legend only goes so far, and I am glad TD is here but the continued talk about SLC and his high school coaches must end. Lets discuss UNT football now and in the future but please, no more SLC.

No argument here. If anyone wants to talk Southlake whatever, go on their board. And if you're really interested in SLC, go to their games. This is a college football board.

Lets quit talking about SLC and what Dodge did there or Mendoza or Riley or whatever. Lets talk about the future and where UNT is headed.

Our highest rated commitment isn't a part of our future or where we are headed? I understand your overall point, but what does Riley have to do with it?

I am just sick and tired of hearing so many questions posed by our own media to Dodge about SLC during the taping and radio shows that are supposed to be about UNT football. Are we more concerned with SLC? Or does someone have the stones to interview him about our defense, how about why are WR's could not get off the line of scrimmage when they pressed us in coverage all night long?

Why did Brandon Jackson feel like we were not prepared? Why isn't AJ Penson not playing when he is one of the fastest LB's on our team (who has burned his shirt). I am not sure Penson got any reps in the game. Yet Arkansas was getting outside our LB's the entire second half.

We are not in high school anymore. Lets leave the SLC program down in Southlake.

Is Todd ever going to take any ownership in our defense? Or is Mendoza the scapegoat?

Edited by newuntfan07

Well, to be fair, I think we are seeing that TD is just a little bit out of his element. He is starting to realize the adjustment it would take going from SLC (sorry, last time I swear! :P ) to UNT. I am not digging on him, just making an observation. I also believe that Mendoza is WAY OUT of his element as well...

You know what I am sick and tired...

Much of the SLC talk happens because, like it or not, that's where the new staff came from and that's the place we have to look for history. It's also where the next UNT QB recruit is making news. I'm really sorry that it gets on your nerves, but discussions about SLC are relevant. I can understand that it gets old and annoying if you were never interested in these coaches or SLC. But having people get up and tell the rest of the board what to talk about is also annoying.

Much of the SLC talk happens because, like it or not, that's where the new staff came from and that's the place we have to look for history. It's also where the next UNT QB recruit is making news. I'm really sorry that it gets on your nerves, but discussions about SLC are relevant. I can understand that it gets old and annoying if you were never interested in these coaches or SLC. But having people get up and tell the rest of the board what to talk about is also annoying.

Agree. As long as we have future recruits coming from there and coaches who grew part of their strategy there then it becomes related.

OK. I'll give it a shot:

Dickey - How the West Was Lost

Helwig - Gone With the Wind

Meager - Still Hanging in There

White Helmets - Prefer Green

Pride Stickers - Don't Have One

Stadiums- Would Like to Have One

Band pants - Jorts?

Lethargic Scrappy - Budweiser

Firing Johnny Jones - Bad Joke

Getting into CUSA - Find Something Better

SMU - Worse Than a Joke

The K-State Conspiracy - No DD

Mack Brown and Dennis Franchione - The Soprano Twins

Fielding a Baseball team - Now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The completely unattractive physical appearance of all UNT athletes, past/present/future - Ya never met my ex-GF

Out Of Conference scheduling and performance - $

Eagles vs. Mean Green - Both

The correct shade of Kelly green - Kelly Green

Students not leaving tailgating to enter the stadium at gametime - Sell Brew or Shut 'er Down

Cheerleaders directing the crowd to make noise at inappropriate times - Sell Brew or Shut 'er Down

Bullshit "Bullshit" chants - Ejection Seats

The merits of today's Talons vs. the Talons of the past - Give More Claw

Hayden Fry can raise the dead, heal the blind, and poop solid gold bricks - Make Him a Fundraiser

How the Sun Belt is holding us down - Better Refs

Why the local media gives us no respect/coverage - Hansen & Miller

OK, now I am in full laughter. This is all too funny! On a serious (at least an attempt) we should talk about and include any high school that could send us a good player. Recruiting, in a big way, starts with the high school coach's opinion of a college program. Don't you think thier opinion would be a little better and we would get a little better recruits (or chances at recruits) if we noticed they were out there. Don't spit in the face of your next best recruit by ignoring them. However, we are in college now!!

OOOOHHHH, I'm in on this one too!!!!

Dickey - Still a great guy (Yes, I liked those four bowl games) Dodge is better for us now, but the beatings we are taking? Growing pains suck!

Helwig - one word... "hopeless"

Meager - Has plenty of talent, just not as much as his backup.

White Helmets - Looks like Southlake... but growing on me.

Pride Stickers - Besides Fitzgerald, Holman, and Spencer...who would have any?

Stadiums- Fouts looks better now. It's round and white, and looks like a great big Tylenol!!!

Band pants - Band looks fine... lighten up, Francis.

Lethargic Scrappy - It's just a mascot?...now if he gets his ass kicked by a Duck?, that's different.

Firing Johnny Jones - Who gets the job? I'm holding out for Shawn Bradley!

Getting into CUSA - Regional rivalries with SMU and Houston... yes on that one. Just please DONT get beat by UTA in Basketball this year.

SMU - They beat us...but wont have much else to brag about this year. Their stadium had 31,000 for a SOUTHLAKE CARROLL high school game.

The K-State Conspiracy - That's not a conspiracy. Ramon Flannigan's banner being the ONLY one torn up at SMU????...THAT's a conspiracy.

Mack Brown and Dennis Franchione - Great when they win... someone else's fault when they lose.

Fielding a Baseball team - Dont we have a baseball team? Shirts are in the bookstore?

The completely unattractive physical appearance of all UNT athletes, past/present/future - Wow, havent seen that thread? Loro must have locked it out?

Out Of Conference scheduling and performance - Not sure why we care? A game is a game according to Coach Dodge? I still want Texas-Tech back!

Eagles vs. Mean Green - OU fan asked why we have two nick-names?... I said because we have football and basketball... (she's probably just now getting that one)

The correct shade of Kelly green - Uh? I'm still not sure I've seen it? The player uni's this year are probably correct. Not sure about the ones we can buy?

Students not leaving tailgating to enter the stadium at gametime - Parking lot curfew...in by kickoff. All attended grills towed to nearby lot.

Cheerleaders directing the crowd to make noise at inappropriate times - No idea why this is still happening? But as long as I dont have to see the white-shirt guys do push-ups? What a beating. I'll take the lessor of the two evils, please. Lay off of the cheerleaders...hehe

Bullshit "Bullshit" chants - Havent heard or read about that? But if the call is that bad??? (See the SMU game film...)

The merits of today's Talons vs. the Talons of the past - I trust Emmitt and Rick McKinney on this one. If they see issues, there are issues.

Hayden Fry can raise the dead, heal the blind, and poop solid gold bricks - True.. now if he can get Lera Jackson to okay an RV? THAT's a miracle!

How the Sun Belt is holding us down - Sunbelt is getting better, and LEO's GETTING LARGER!!!

Why the local media gives us no respect/coverage - Uh. because we are still losing??? A great philosopher once said.."The battle is not always to the strong, nor the race to the swift...but that's the way to bet." Nothing counts but wins.

GMG!!!

I don't believe this is much of an issue until we get crowd noise loud enough to make a difference.

Funny, Univ of Florida still uses "two bits, four bits......stand up an holler" at the beginning of a game. Difference is, they have some older fellow out on the field, before kickoff, and he leads 70-80,000 fans in this old high school cheer.

Guest 97and03

Bullshit "Bullshit" chants - Havent heard or read about that? But if the call is that bad??? (See the SMU game film...)

GMG!!!

I answer that (and the answer to how the Sun Belt is holding us down b/c of bad refs) with a little song my buddy and I like to sing at football games (when needed ;) ):

(To the tune of Oh My Darling Clementine)

Who's your father, who's your father?

Who's your father, referee?

Never had one, couldn't be one!

You're a bastard, referee!