Stadium Design Lessons

Green to the Bone

O.K., perhaps this is the right thread for me to post my one "gripe" about the SMU game. Why do people think they should stand the whole game and block other people's view the whole time? You know, everyone paid the same price for their seat and I guess some folks just don't have the manners god gave a goat! Do they think they are the only ones at the game or what??????? One guy stands up and the whole sections stands up! And, the guy standing is on about row 5 or 6! What in the sam hill is up with that??? There was a lady in front of me that walked with the assistance of a cane and had a VERY challenging time getting up and down all night long. How rude of those who think they are the only ones attending and so have the right to block everyone else's view! Give me a break. Were you born in a barn??????

Maybe the postings here are correct and the stadium design has something to do with the "standing up" problem, but I can tell you...if folks would jusdt sit,...EVERYONE COULD SEE...INCLUDING THEM!

Now, don't get me wrong...there are times when one simply must stand at a football game...there were several of those times at the SMU game and everyone is aware and is 100% O.K. with that...heck...no way you can sit on third and "several" with the clock running down and your team needing a 1st and 10 to keep a drive alive...or a 1st and goal from the 5 with time running out...BUT, the whole blessed game?????????? Give me a break!

Maybe we need Miss Manners to do a seminar on game manners for some of our fans. No, we don't want to sit on our hands and cheer lioghtly, so don't give me that "holier than thou" crap in reply. I just need to vent about the manners some of our fans showed...especially as I watched this poor lady struggle to her feet time and time again to try to see the game!

O.K., I feel better now! Thanks for reading.... :lol:

Standing the whole game? Some consider that team spirit and what gives a home team advantage. Take a look down the road at Kyle field, considered by most a very tough place to play, ATM prides itself on the fact that the crowd stands the entire time.

Welcome to what an exciting brand of football will bring you!!! Expect to be upset more often.

>> Just to add, I probably would have sat more often than I did but the rows in front of me were standing so I stood as well.

Edited by jimmyjames_99

O.K., perhaps this is the right thread for me to post my one "gripe" about the SMU game. Why do people think they should stand the whole game and block other people's view the whole time? You know, everyone paid the same price for their seat and I guess some folks just don't have the manners god gave a goat! Do they think they are the only ones at the game or what??????? One guy stands up and the whole sections stands up! And, the guy standing is on about row 5 or 6! What in the sam hill is up with that??? There was a lady in front of me that walked with the assistance of a cane and had a VERY challenging time getting up and down all night long. How rude of those who think they are the only ones attending and so have the right to block everyone else's view! Give me a break. Were you born in a barn??????

Maybe the postings here are correct and the stadium design has something to do with the "standing up" problem, but I can tell you...if folks would jusdt sit,...EVERYONE COULD SEE...INCLUDING THEM!

Now, don't get me wrong...there are times when one simply must stand at a football game...there were several of those times at the SMU game and everyone is aware and is 100% O.K. with that...heck...no way you can sit on third and "several" with the clock running down and your team needing a 1st and 10 to keep a drive alive...or a 1st and goal from the 5 with time running out...BUT, the whole blessed game?????????? Give me a break!

Maybe we need Miss Manners to do a seminar on game manners for some of our fans. No, we don't want to sit on our hands and cheer lioghtly, so don't give me that "holier than thou" crap in reply. I just need to vent about the manners some of our fans showed...especially as I watched this poor lady struggle to her feet time and time again to try to see the game!

I totally agree. "Standing" in a section should be a group decision, not one made by a few. If you are in a section where everyone else is sitting, you should show some common courtesy and either move to a section where people are standing, or sit down.

...and it shouldn't take someone telling you to sit. This is a common courtesy type of thing. Look around you, and don't be obnoxious!

Sorry, I forgot to put a note I was kidding. No offense taken on the jab. It may be on another thread, but the reason the field is sunk is b/c of Highland Park/University Park restrictions that said how tall it could be and it had to be sunk in for possible noise violations against HP codes.

So the only expansion would be to fill in the bowl? Is there any chance of another deck?

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!!!!

At a home game, the people around you are bit more familiar. The elderly fans would more likely to not be stood up in front of... I personally enjoyed standing the whole game. It is the sign of a good game... Ups and Downs... It was a fun one...

Combo of a road game and low pitch made things a bit harder to see...

I personally feel a ton of excitement everytime we have the ball now... I almost can't help it right now... Maybe we all just will get used to it? I'm just soo excited that the normal offensive play isn't a draw being stopped for a loss...

SHOSS...I agree with the "excitement" thing...I , too, am "moved" to stand quite often, but there is something called manners and common decency...I was NOT the only person at the game and I was not the only person to pay the price for a ticket. Just be aware of those others around you...stand when the excitement is obvious, not the whole game...I am with you...excitement reigns at UNT games...FINALLY!

Now as to the "Aggie" reference...you want us to be like AGGIES!!!!! Eeeeek...you want to stand all game and call it school spirt...so be it. I won't argue that Aggies have a great deal of school spirit...BUT, standing the whole game is well known if you attend an Aggie game, and you know what you are getting. In caes you haven't noticed...UNT IS NOT TX A&M! We do not have the tradition of standing the whole game...I know of few other schools who do. Love those Aggies and their spirit...I just love it at Aggie games not UNT games!

Take a look around, and be aware that there are other people trying to enjoy the game too who may not share your sense of having to stand for every little thing. I am not saying do not stand, heck, I was up a bunch and probably would have been up more if not for some of the folks near me who did not feel the need to stand for every first down. I guess it's like spiking the ball after a touchdown...in the words of one coach who was not fond of the practice..."act liike you have been there before"...ie; don't spike the ball for every little thing and don't stand up for every little thing. Act like you have been there before and act like you know you are not the only person who bought a ticket.

NOW...let's pack the house on the 22nd at Fouts...and we can all stand for all the MEAN GREEN touchdowns and long passes and big sacks. Yes, we will tune up the "D" and get plenty od=f sacks this year...I just hpe I can see some of them "around" all the folks who want to stand up the entitre game. :lol:

Go MEAN GREEN!

SHOSS...I agree with the "excitement" thing...I , too, am "moved" to stand quite often, but there is something called manners and common decency...I was NOT the only person at the game and I was not the only person to pay the price for a ticket. Just be aware of those others around you...stand when the excitement is obvious, not the whole game...I am with you...excitement reigns at UNT games...FINALLY!

Now as to the "Aggie" reference...you want us to be like AGGIES!!!!! Eeeeek...you want to stand all game and call it school spirt...so be it. I won't argue that Aggies have a great deal of school spirit...BUT, standing the whole game is well known if you attend an Aggie game, and you know what you are getting. In caes you haven't noticed...UNT IS NOT TX A&M! We do not have the tradition of standing the whole game...I know of few other schools who do. Love those Aggies and their spirit...I just love it at Aggie games not UNT games!

Take a look around, and be aware that there are other people trying to enjoy the game too who may not share your sense of having to stand for every little thing. I am not saying do not stand, heck, I was up a bunch and probably would have been up more if not for some of the folks near me who did not feel the need to stand for every first down. I guess it's like spiking the ball after a touchdown...in the words of one coach who was not fond of the practice..."act liike you have been there before"...ie; don't spike the ball for every little thing and don't stand up for every little thing. Act like you have been there before and act like you know you are not the only person who bought a ticket.

NOW...let's pack the house on the 22nd at Fouts...and we can all stand for all the MEAN GREEN touchdowns and long passes and big sacks. Yes, we will tune up the "D" and get plenty od=f sacks this year...I just hpe I can see some of them "around" all the folks who want to stand up the entitre game. :lol:

Go MEAN GREEN!

I promise I never intended to suggest we be aTm. If I made reference to aggie stuff, I really truley didn't mean to... I have some family that went there... their traditions, while kind of neat, aren't really my bag... especially the ones involving the core... discussion for another time ...

As the interest and excitement increases, unforturnately the standing is going to increase... I can remember several Texas high school football games where we were standing throughout....started by the parents that were sitting in the front row. It just happens. When I saw Plano and SLC in the playoffs in 2005, the 2nd half was spent standing almost exclusively... I've been to a few games at Ohio State and standing was very very common there too... I think that it just happens when excitement is high... shootouts help too...

I think that it just happens when excitement is high...

Or the PA guy is telling you to get up for a defensive stop on 3rd down...

Referencing ATM was just contrasting the point that as excitement builds in the program, having to standing will happen more often than not. I agree that standing in a section where most are sitting is rude. But sitting in a section that's standing and griping at the guy in front of you is not to smooth either...

I thought our students stand for the entire game. I could be wrong, I never sat over there.

Pretty much. The seats are usually just used during timeouts, injuries, and halftime.

You sit all day at work. You sit all evening at home. You sit in the car. You sit at restaurants. Can you not give your team 3 hours a week on your feet?

Our students stand during the entire game????? Are you sure you have been to a game in the last few years? I have, and have not noticed students standing the entire game...but, then, looking across to the student side I haven't seen many students at all! Not for a University the size of UNT. I give full credit and full respect to the students who do show up...they are great and loyal fans...I just wish it was tough to get a student ticket! Too many empty spots on both sides of Fouts Field...BUT, not for long...Dodge Ball is on the way...get there early and get there often for the best seats...you will be glad you did. I will look forward to seeing all the greek organizations, student clubs, etc., etc. holding places for their members again like it was when I was an undergrad so very many years ago...and I will look forward to it being toutgh to get a sideline ticket on the pressbox side too. It's coming...get tickets now or you may be left out in the cold.

AND...I sure hope students are not sitting around all day like the previous post inferred......put down the X-Box and go run! :lol:

Yes, I agree....if everyone else is standing it in NOT GOOD Manners to sit (unless you have a medical reason of course)....BUT, let's make sure we are standing for the right reason and at the right time...don't think that involves the full game and every single paly from both teams.....

GO MEAN GREEN!

Ford Stadium has an entire row around the stadium for guests who are disabled and their families. (I know because I sit on the row in front of them.) The elevation is such that the rest of us can stand and not obstruct their view.

If you expect to sit and watch the entire game, you should probably stay at home and catch it on TV.

I sure hope students are not sitting around all day like the previous post inferred......put down the X-Box and go run! :lol:

Um, that was aimed at you and the rest of the "sit down!"ers. If GreenGrenadeII can stand the whole game*, you can too.

*Not to offend GGII, just needed an elder that stands the whole game.

Our students stand during the entire game????? Are you sure you have been to a game in the last few years? I have, and have not noticed students standing the entire game...but, then, looking across to the student side I haven't seen many students at all! Not for a University the size of UNT.

He's talking about the football game, not soccer! Oops, there I go again.

RIck

I am a rock music child and have always loved loud sound...but, if sound levels at Ford border on unhealhy levels if you are in the visitng section. Ford is a beautiful stadium and have always thought it was one of the best small stadiums in America....and I would love to have it.

What I wouldn't want is the Public Address Announcer. Great voice...but absloutely terrible. At least 50 mistakes. As bad as I have ever heard in college football. The Mustang Stampede noise during the play should be illegal....heck, I thought it was terrible.

All the sound there was created.... And, although our game production improves each and every year...the Eagle Shriek is awful. I wish it would be history.

The backs on the seats at Ford Stadium....is in one word: Awesome!

ParksAndRecRick

A North Texas Tradition Since 1984