Big News From The Letterman's Fish Fry

1) Giovanni Vizza and two of our incoming freshmen WRs.....are in town, planning to go to summer school this summer. Not sure who the WRs are, but one might guess that GV's teammate (Sam Dibrell) is one of them. This, of course, leads me to believe that GV is going to be given a shot at being our starting QB this fall.

2) RV mentioned the stadium......and mentioned a time frame of 16 months. Not sure how he phrased, but it made me and others feel that he meant that the stadium would be built in 16 months. I don't want to start anything on here, because it was kind of vague. He didn't say that we would definitely have a stadium in 16 months. I guess I'm kind of being vague....all I'll say is: RV mentioned stadium and 16 months. What that means....I'm not totally sure.

Anyway, if it's going to be ready by the start of the 2009 season.....we have 27 months as of right now. Maybe, 16 months is how long they think it would take to build it.....once started. But, he sure acted like we would have one, and have it in the very near future.

3) Talked to several of our new coaches. Coach Gandy, Coach Lacroix, Coach Rausch, Coach Ford and Coach Drake. To a man, they were all gentlemen....and seemed very interested in talking to fans/alums. These guys are class acts, just like our new head coach.

4) The October 27th MTSU game, will feature a reunion of our 1978 team. Coach Fry will be at the game.

and speaking of Coach Fry....

5) He was asked to speak, and gave an extemperaneous speech about North Texas that was pure greatness. You can tell that Coach Fry genuinely loves our school, and we are blessed that he still comes back for events.

It was a great event. I'm sure glad that the great Green Grenade and I attended.

Edited by Green Means Go!

I bet he was purposely vague. I'm sure there are certain benchmarks (funding, contracters, etc.) he needs to meet before he can officially announce anything. I'm sure he's using whatever leverage he can to stir up excitement (cash flow) to get the project underway. This is still very good news.

Also, I continue to be impressed by the way our coaching staff conducts themselves in a positive manner and the way they demand the same from their players. It's quite refreshing.

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!

Edited by EagleD

I bet he was purposely vague. I'm sure there are certain benchmarks (funding, contracters, etc.) he needs to meet before he can officially announce anything. I'm sure he's using whatever leverage he can to stir up excitement (cash flow) to get the project underway. This is still very good news.

Also, I continue to be impressed by the way our coaching staff conducts themselves in a positive manner and the way they demand the same from their players. It's quite refreshing.

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!

Wait...you mean they weren't fistfighting with one another?

2) RV mentioned the stadium......and mentioned a time frame of 16 months. Not sure how he phrased, but it made me and others feel that he meant that the stadium would be built in 16 months. I don't want to start anything on here, because it was kind of vague. He didn't say that we would definitely have a stadium in 16 months. I guess I'm kind of being vague....all I'll say is: RV mentioned stadium and 16 months. What that means....I'm not totally sure.

Sir, I did not have sexual relations with that woman!

While we try to decipher what sixteen months means, it might help to look to our local rivals.

According to Wikipedia, Ownby Stadium was demolished in October, 1998, and Ford opened September, 2000. That's roughly twenty-three months. Even without a demolishing phase, sixteen months might be tight to build a 30,000-50,000 seat stadium (Wikipedia says Ford seats 45,000).

Perhaps, however, RV meant that construction will begin in sixteen months. If so, that would put the start date in October, 2008. Looking to the SMU timeframe, the new stadium would be ready for the 2010 football season.

How's that for off-season speculation?

A couple of other tidbits that I now remember:

Coach Lacroix told me that one of our former players, Benny Cherry (a DB for a few years; then became a LB).....anyway, Benny is working as a Highway Patrolmen.....and I think Coach told me that he's stationed in Wichita Falls. Benny was a great player and a really good guy.

Also, there's a young man named Babb (from Celina)....who is listed as a DB on our roster. I asked somebody if he's related to our former LB Frank Babb, and was told that this is his son. Frank was one of the great LBs that Coach Fry brought in, in 1975. They all were great contributors (Frank, Burks Washington, Terry Champagne and Rex Glendenning).

Rex is a real estate magnate who owns a lot of property in this area. And I was told that Frank Babb has for years been a top exec working for former Mavs owner Donald Carter (in the real estate side of Mr. Carter's interests).

Great to hear that alums like these (all great guys) are doing so well in life.

Benny Cherry was from Vernon. He may have been instrumental in recruiting Darien Williams, also from Vernon. It's a small place but they play mean football....and we beat Gordon Wood's Brownwood Lions in 1966, one of the years when they were supposed to win the state championship, but did not.

I spoke with a Regent, and he agrees that bonds can be issued if we have even one-half of the money needed to build. He did say that we needed the name sponsor in a hurry, and I did not ask him to elaborate. I have always trusted this gentleman, and I know that he is a good businessman as well. Al Goldfield ( who gave the $1.5 million )is heading a blue ribbon committee to seek the larger donors. Remember for anyone to buy naming rights it has to be shown that there will be a return on their investment to their business or else they have the financial savy to gift something like stock options or a hedge fund (ala Boone Pickens) that keeps multiplying. Norma Hunt, Mark Cuban, Ray Hunt, Don Carter and others come to mind, and I reminded the Regent that we have persons with ties to each if we have our sales pitch in order.

I was very impressed with the assistant coaches as well. One of the coordinators said their goal was to make NT first THE team of the Metroplex so that when you thought of college football in the North Texas region, it would be UNT that first came to anyone's mind. Makes the Sept. 8th date in Dallas that much more important !!! I feel we could truly deliver a knock out punch to those *#*#** if we beat them on their own turf, and the media would then force TCU to play us.

I was told tonight that our 3 incoming freshmen who are enrolled in summer school are:

Giovanni Vizza, Sam Dibrell, and B.J. Lewis

Also, one of our former players, Scott Ford is the head coach at Los Fresnos (very south part of Texas). Scott, played under Coach Parker, and was a WR who played despite having diabetes. (just like Justin Padron.......if I'm not mistaken).

Also, there are a few more players who have committed.........we'll be hearing their names soon. (one may be a player from Los Fresnos).

Thanks to all for the various information, makes the off-season more exciting and go faster! SMUt's stadium is 32,000 and was completed in 23 months, but that included demolition time for Ownby Stadium. 16 months on open ground like we have is possible for a 31,000 seat stadium (expandable to 50K). Many initial studies were already done (environmental, noise, drainage, traffic, etc.) before the AC was built to deem the feasibility of a stadium on that land...no use to build an AC there if you can't build a stadium next to it, right? Anyway, I would expect a 2009 opening date (with Air Force) is still very possible, all we need is more $$ and a groundbreaking ceremony! :)

Edited by NT80

Thanks to all for the various information, makes the off-season more exciting and go faster! SMUt's stadium is 32,000 and was completed in 23 months, but that included demolition time for Ownby Stadium. 16 months on open ground like we have is possible for a 31,000 seat stadium (expandable to 50K). Many initial studies were already done (environmental, noise, drainage, traffic, etc.) before the AC was built to deem the feasibility of a stadium on that land...no use to build an AC there if you can't build a stadium next to it, right? Anyway, I would expect a 2009 opening date (with Air Force) is still very possible, all we need is more $$ and a groundbreaking ceremony! :)

Maybe I have posted this already but the stadium will open up facing the AC(many of you probably already know this). That way, you can see the green lights that will be centered with the goal posts. Not to mention, if you've ever taken a tour of the AC and seen the locker room and equipment room, it is set up for the stadium to be right there. The elevators were designed to fit a stretcher so they can get x-rays right there in the AC and not have to go to the hospital

Maybe I have posted this already but the stadium will open up facing the AC(many of you probably already know this). That way, you can see the green lights that will be centered with the goal posts. Not to mention, if you've ever taken a tour of the AC and seen the locker room and equipment room, it is set up for the stadium to be right there. The elevators were designed to fit a stretcher so they can get x-rays right there in the AC and not have to go to the hospital

A happy moment for most of us was when plans were dropped to convert the old Services Bldg into an Ath/Cen. (which IMO would have created a patch-work quilt appearance near Fouts in the NW corner of our campus) and that decision coming on the heels of the most exciting news that most all concerning our future football program would be moved across the interstate to the old golf course. (For you who've been around a few decades, hasn't that property dramatically changed since the tearing down of the old golf club house)?

An even happier moment for I'm sure most all of us came when the A/C was completed with its blue-print plans indicating that it would not really be a complete facility until a new football stadium were attached to it.

The best news of all is that a new football stadium will happen at the MG Village and that that is no pipe dream, even though many of our competitors probably only wished that it were.

PS: Great to hear all the good news coming from the fish fry. Also, glad to hear Coach Fry was there and in his usual upbeat form.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

My early nomination for "Post of the Year". :D

What was the attendance like at the Fish Fry this year compared to the recent past? Interest up with our Letterman's Club? hOPE SO...We have "lost" quite a few lettermen in recent years...for one reason or the other...we need to get these men and women BACK and involved with the program...they need to be recognized when they atend events on campus to SHOW folks they are involeved and still behind THEIR school. Anyone who attended...can you give us a read on attendance this year as opposed to the recnt past???? Many thanks...

This is exciting. But I will be negative and say that I hope the stadium will break ground in 16 months. I am not sure that a high quality stadium can be built in 16 months. This leads me to belive one of 3 things a) The stadium is going to be a piece but will be up fast {hope not} bb) The stadium will be awesome and state of the art and to get it built in 16 months the AD is paying extra for a faster build (not likely) c) In no more than 16 months ground will be broken on a new state of the art recruting machine 35K capacity with an amazing sound system to get fans into the atmospher with a jumbotron to see all the amazing action with 30 luxury seats that are pulling in million dollar donators surrounded with plasma TVs and a wet bar and a catering room stadium.

Also, does anyone have a link to the video of the stadium that was supposedly put out last time they were trying to raise money?

Edited by Daddy Dumpsalot

This is exciting. But I will be negative and say that I hope the stadium will break ground in 16 months. I am not sure that a high quality stadium can be built in 16 months. This leads me to belive one of 3 things a) The stadium is going to be a piece but will be up fast {hope not} bb) The stadium will be awesome and state of the art and to get it built in 16 months the AD is paying extra for a faster build (not likely) c) In no more than 16 months ground will be broken on a new state of the art recruting machine 35K capacity with an amazing sound system to get fans into the atmospher with a jumbotron to see all the amazing action with 30 luxury seats that are pulling in million dollar donators surrounded with plasma TVs and a wet bar and a catering room stadium.

Also, does anyone have a link to the video of the stadium that was supposedly put out last time they were trying to raise money?

Several sources are reporting the timeline to open is for the 2009 season (Air Force game). So, that would leave roughly 27 months from now. As another poster repoorted: big fish donor still sought, blue ribbon committee formed to look for big $$, bonds possible. 31,000 seats to begin with, expandable to 50K whenever the additional need and funds happen.

31,000 is a good number. It will increase the value of the ticket and ensure a full house. Once we get to where we are consistently filling up the stadium then we can take advantage and add on capacity. I think we should follow SMU's lead on this.

31,000 is a good number. It will increase the value of the ticket and ensure a full house. Once we get to where we are consistently filling up the stadium then we can take advantage and add on capacity. I think we should follow SMU's lead on this.

I think 31K is a perfect # of seats. I think it leaves our big sellout home games (SMU, and whatever future games) with plenty of room for people and for our 'not so popular' games that dont attract a huge crowd, it doesnt make our stadium look completely empty.

Thanks for the link too.

What you said makes sense, but that last sentence makes me cringe.