3rd Early Commitment

BobFam

Vito Blog

UNT lands Vernon safety

Vernon's Darien Williams said Thursday that he has orally committed to play for North Texas.

The 5-11, 188-pound safety was a first-team All-District 6-3A selection as a junior last season. He is also a member of the Wichita Falls Times-Record-News' Red River 22, a list of the top college prospects from the paper's coverage region.

UNT was the only team that had offered Williams a scholarship, but Arizona, TCU, Rice and Tulsa had shown interest.

For more on Williams, see tomorrow's edition of the Denton Record-Chronicle.

Vito Blog

UNT lands Vernon safety

Vernon's Darien Williams said Thursday that he has orally committed to play for North Texas.

The 5-11, 188-pound safety was a first-team All-District 6-3A selection as a junior last season. He is also a member of the Wichita Falls Times-Record-News' Red River 22, a list of the top college prospects from the paper's coverage region.

UNT was the only team that had offered Williams a scholarship, but Arizona, TCU, Rice and Tulsa had shown interest.

For more on Williams, see tomorrow's edition of the Denton Record-Chronicle.

unfreakin' believable-3 committs in 3 days!!!

I enjoy seeing how much they've grown since their junior year and knowing they will be be growing during their senior year as well. In williams case going from 5-10, 170 to 5-11, 188 is quite a difference, a player that size can play right away. By the way he's growing he could be 6', 195 by the time he steps on the field at NT. Also, we can follow the commitments their senior years, maybe watch them play once or twice, something we couldn't do with the way we recruited in the past.

All this positive attitude is freakin' me out, man. I feel like I'm being dragged out of my comfort zone into mainstream collegiate athletics.

Basketball signings, 2008 football committments............. will May, June & maybe even July cease to be ho-hum months ? Certainly seems that way :D

Also, we can follow the commitments their senior years, maybe watch them play once or twice, something we couldn't do with the way we recruited in the past.

So true - it's going to be nice to be able to track some of these guys on a week-to-week basis and see their stats.

Signing day won't be like Christmas morning any more, will it?! This is like finding all your presents way before Christmas Day and then not being excited on Christmas morning.

Just cause it's on your list doesn't mean it's under the tree. Signing day will always be christmas.

Unbelievable. Also, I have been completely amazed how many others outside the Mean Green family are noticing what's been going on up in Denton. All week I have run into someone, at the grocery store, at the tire & lube shop or at work and people see my NT stuff I'm wearing and they bring up TD and what's going on up there. We made a massive repair shop fire late last night on the far lower eastside(I'm working a double shift today). After the fire we started to clean up and load equipment when several people who have never given a rats @$$ about NT before came up and started to talk to me about TD. One Lt. told me that in his oppinion if NT gives TD enough time he's going to be great for us. Another asked if I had seen the new commitments and that he never recalled that happening at NT before this early? Another told me his daughter graduates next year and is having a great time at NT...over and over and over again. It's just so nice for a change to keep running into people who has something positive to say about North Texas, and to also realize that others are keeping up with current events there too.

Rick