Summarized Info On Odufuwa

OldTimer

Jr. stats in HS 19.7 pts, 10.76 rebounds and 2 blocks

Sr. stats 18 pts and 9 boards...had achillies injury slowed him down

Folks he had offers from AZ State, Colorado, Georgia, Miami Florida, TX A$M, Gonzaga and SMU.

If he signs with NT that would give us three-3 * recruits. (Tristan, Ryan McCoy and Odufuwa) , plus the #10 player in Louisiana and Adam McCoy one of the top JC 3 point shooters in the nation.

QUESTION : I keep hearing about his interest in NT.. but has anyone actually seen anything on him being released from his ship by AZ? What have I missed here.

Guest GrayEagleOne

QUESTION : I keep hearing about his interest in NT.. but has anyone actually seen anything on him being released from his ship by AZ? What have I missed here.

Apparently. He is on the ASU list of "Non Returners" posted on their website.

Jr. stats in HS 19.7 pts, 10.76 rebounds and 2 blocks

Sr. stats 18 pts and 9 boards...had achillies injury slowed him down

Folks he had offers from AZ State, Colorado, Georgia, Miami Florida, TX A$M, Gonzaga and SMU.

If he signs with NT that would give us three-3 * recruits. (Tristan, Ryan McCoy and Odufuwa) , plus the #10 player in Louisiana and Adam McCoy one of the top JC 3 point shooters in the nation.

While it would be nice to sign Odufuwa, I would be much more interested in signing a big player to help this coming season . Just making it to the NCAA's is great but, should not be the end all .

His stats and prospects are great, but here's the real question:

How is his last name pronounced?

And would that pronunciation inspire a particular kind of cheer when he dunks one?

If it's Oh-DOO-fuh-wah, would everybody yell DOOO! ?

If it's Oh-doo-FOO-wah, would the yell be FOOO! ?

I suggest an ad hoc committee to investigate and come back with a proposal.

Edited by Green to the Bone

While it would be nice to sign Odufuwa, I would be much more interested in signing a big player to help this coming season . Just making it to the NCAA's is great but, should not be the end all .

I disagree. I think we are very strong in the big men department for this coming season... we have Sunbelt's best duo of Wooden and Williams, plus Stewart, Jackson (maybe), and Howerton off the bench. I think JJ is going about it correctly and worried more about finding someone to play with Stewart when he takes over his senior year.

I disagree. I think we are very strong in the big men department for this coming season... we have Sunbelt's best duo of Wooden and Williams, plus Stewart, Jackson (maybe), and Howerton off the bench. I think JJ is going about it correctly and worried more about finding someone to play with Stewart when he takes over his senior year.

Exactly right. If the combination of Howerton and Jackson can give you 5-10 minutes per game...once in a while 15 depending on foul trouble...and just eat space, use their 10 combined fouls, pull 4 rebounds and add an offensive rebound putback thats all we need from them. Quincey, Keith and Harold will make a very nice rotation next season...no reason to clog that up. I've begun researching the other Sun Belt programs and compiling a bit of a SBC preview for GMG... and the Sun Belt is very much a guard oriented conference and Q and Keith should have monster seasons. Adding the caliber player of Odufuwa and having the luxury of being able to tuck him away for a year AND still have 3 years of eligibility is ideal.

I am no basketball expert, but I believe the big man is like the defensive tackle in football. There are usually only 3 or 4 good ones every year. So every one else has to fight over the remaining big men. If we can get one of those big men, then that would be great.

Exactly right. If the combination of Howerton and Jackson can give you 5-10 minutes per game...once in a while 15 depending on foul trouble...and just eat space, use their 10 combined fouls, pull 4 rebounds and add an offensive rebound putback thats all we need from them. Quincey, Keith and Harold will make a very nice rotation next season...no reason to clog that up. I've begun researching the other Sun Belt programs and compiling a bit of a SBC preview for GMG... and the Sun Belt is very much a guard oriented conference and Q and Keith should have monster seasons. Adding the caliber player of Odufuwa and having the luxury of being able to tuck him away for a year AND still have 3 years of eligibility is ideal.

With all due respect to my fellow posters, here's where I disagree. We've all tasted what's it like to be on the big stage. Can we try to build upon this? Should we be satisfied or happy with what we have? Can we aspire for a more talented roster; to defeat the Memphis' of the world or just be content competing in the Sun Belt? Can we strive to be a top 75 program as a realistic goal? If the answer is yes, are these top 75 kids on our roster? I'm happy that JJ has finally figured this out. Stewart & Howerton do not fit my profile for a top 75 program. Odufawa does & Thompson. I have never seen either McCoy or Josh White play.

Just my expectation!

With all due respect to my fellow posters, here's where I disagree. We've all tasted what's it like to be on the big stage. Can we try to build upon this? Should we be satisfied or happy with what we have? Can we aspire for a more talented roster; to defeat the Memphis' of the world or just be content competing in the Sun Belt? Can we strive to be a top 75 program as a realistic goal? If the answer is yes, are these top 75 kids on our roster? I'm happy that JJ has finally figured this out. Stewart & Howerton do not fit my profile for a top 75 program. Odufawa does & Thompson. I have never seen either McCoy or Josh White play.

Just my expectation!

I feel that we're on the same page...but I just may need to clearify. I am by no means content with an SBC championship and a first round exit. I firmly believe that we showed the Memphis' of the world that we are a nationally competitive program...and I expect that Johnny keep us there. My previous statement was in response to a post stating that we should seek a high school post who will contribute next season, a move that I believe uneccesary...unless there is an unsigned high schooler with the skins that Odufuwa has...and I am very skeptical of that at this point. Howerton doesn't fit my view of a top 75 program player either...Stewart does, but as a role bench player, an energy guy who will block shots and rebound for 20 mins a night, not the starting 4 some people have been projecting. With this recruiting class being guard heavy, I look for Johnny to flip things next year, landing a JUCO post to contribute immediatly, hopefully start, and a freshman or two to develop.

I want UNT and JJ to get past the point of taking any more project type players, and I think this class is an upgrade from that. JJ also seems to be adding better transfers. Next, I would work on our schedule; no more lower division opponents please. Who does that benefit?

I feel that we're on the same page...but I just may need to clearify. I am by no means content with an SBC championship and a first round exit. I firmly believe that we showed the Memphis' of the world that we are a nationally competitive program...and I expect that Johnny keep us there. My previous statement was in response to a post stating that we should seek a high school post who will contribute next season, a move that I believe uneccesary...unless there is an unsigned high schooler with the skins that Odufuwa has...and I am very skeptical of that at this point. Howerton doesn't fit my view of a top 75 program player either...Stewart does, but as a role bench player, an energy guy who will block shots and rebound for 20 mins a night, not the starting 4 some people have been projecting. With this recruiting class being guard heavy, I look for Johnny to flip things next year, landing a JUCO post to contribute immediatly, hopefully start, and a freshman or two to develop.

Thanks for the clarification Censored by Laurie! I hope that we all come to expect a top 75 team in hoops and a serious threat to win CUSA in football (if we were in that league)

I'd also like to see a serious track & field program (men & women) with many members qualifying to the NCAA's meet each year. Add a very competitive baseball program and add women's basketball.

Other than that, Go Mean Green!

Just my expectation!

I didn't mean to imply that I was satisfied with the status quo, only that we didn't need to waste recruiting efforts or a scholarship to get a new big man that could play the upcoming season. I have enormous confidence in Williams, Wooden, and Stewart.

Edited by chrisfisher