Surprised...

kj86

I'm not too familiar with TD's system, so I expected a lot of quick hit short stuff...slants, quick-outs and the like. Most of the completed passes were deep routes where the receiver got behind the defense. I'm a bit concerned, from the defensive side, how often this happened.

I'm not too familiar with TD's system, so I expected a lot of quick hit short stuff...slants, quick-outs and the like. Most of the completed passes were deep routes where the receiver got behind the defense. I'm a bit concerned, from the defensive side, how often this happened.

I was concerned with the deep coverage too but I didn't realize Weathers was not there.

DRC: "Starting safety Aaron Weathers and defensive back Roderick Cotton both missed the spring game because of a scheduling conflict with classes."

Yes, I agree with FFR- the offense was "watered down" and the defense did not run stunts-

or hide pass coverage. The game appeared to be 100 plays of scripted plays-I read that

Coach Dodge and the staff wanted video to evaluate plays and players.

I did not see any passes to the RB's, nor did I see the RB's line up in the "slot" receiver

position. The RB's were handling alot of pass blocking. I saw Cam Montgomery bounce off

a LB, then run to the sideline-flat. When the play was over, one of the coaches plulled Cam

aside, and reviewed how Cam should have blocked-showing Cam a block technique.

I saw the same for Jamario-sideline instruction-regarding blocking.

What impressed me was the coaches did not chew out/blast the player- the coaches

were teaching the player how to correct his mistake, and how to handle the blocking

assignment.

Plus- someone mentioned zero U spies at this scrimage. If that is true, I am sure the

staff thought of this possibility also, and did not want to show too much of the offense

and defense.

For Coach Dodge's first college game, I am sure Caoch Dodge will do everything possible

to win this game, even if the opponent is zero u.

Receivers getting behind the defense using unconventional route directions is signature TD. The short stuff / slants set the deep stuff up. Defenses think think they have figured out how to stop either the deep or the short and then here comes the other or a running play. TD's game is completely unpredictable. He didn't just do it to our own defense on Sunday, he's been doing it to every defense he has played over the last 9 years.

I agree with FFR. It's easy to burn coverage when the quarterback is only facing a 4 man rush...that being said I was a little disappointed that a 4 man rush was getting that deep in the back field on some of the plays.

Edited by ptx44