Men's Soccer

KRAM1

Hey, let's bring back Men's Soccer at UNT. Our Women's team is doing great...they have a great coach and are building a real winning tradition. They also have a nice facility. With that being said, let's think about bring back Men's Soccer. At one time it was the "winningest" athletic program on campus with NCAA playoff appearance, etc. Last year a "reunion" game was held on campus and the attendance and participation was great. Seemed to be plenty of people there who would support adding Men's Soccer. Yes, I realize there is Title IX to deal with, but the bigger deal is the money. Is there any interest "out there" in working toward setting up an endowment to support Men's Soccer? I think Rick V. and the administration would support it, IF...the BIG IF...they were certain funds would be there...not just for one year, but for several. You know, it doesn't cost so much to put 11 men in short pants on the field when you compare that cost to football programs. Other issue...who to play? Not many DI Men's programs around here, but there is New Mexico, Tulsa, SMU, Creighton, etc. Just thinking...we have the facility...can we put the team back on the pitch?

Rather see baseball than soccer a a Men's sport. Not enough Div. I mens programs in Texas to make it come close to breaking even.

Thought we were already in the process of adding Men's Baseball??? It's not about "breaking even" in the non-rev sports...don't even know if SMU breaks even on its soccer program...and, we probably don't break even on Men's football at UNT YET, but the idea of too few Men's D1 teams in the area is a "challenge"...travel costs could "eat up the program" if we couldn't find more "local" teams to play. But, if UNT added Men's soccer, perhaps as an independent, we might be able to interest our "closet" neighbors into playing. Don't know, but would love to see Men's soccer back at UNT...would cost less per year than Men's baseball too I would guess.

I have always thought men's soccer was a no-brainer. Hell, I woulda tried to walk on as a student. We are literally in one of the hotbeds for talent in America as well. The club and high school ranks are littered with guys who would/could bring NT to a top level within a matter of a few years. Also, it really doesn't cost much to maintain given that uniforms/cleats/balls are your only real costs outside of travel. Baseball would be more expensive by far. Not to mention I'm sure we could hold about 15 scholarships aside and the rest could be guys who would gladly play as walkons.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Other than Travel cost I don't think it would cost much to get it up and running. I think the issue is Title IX. We need more Women's sports if we add a men's program.

Aye, there's the rub. That's part of the problem of not adding baseball; we'd have to fund another women's sport. And, as I understand it we have about half a million in the coffers right now and more than half of that can only be used for baseball.

I think that the problem is that we need to channel all of our efforts and money into getting this stadium built. Once that's settled with a commitment then I think that you'll see us add baseball and maybe eventually soccer.

Soccer is a fall sport. We need another spring sport for fans plus the SBC is the #9 ranked college baseball conference. I'd vote in favor of adding baseball.

At this point, the next sport will be baseball. And, to add baseball, we have to either cut a men's sport or add another women's sport. If you also added men's soccer, again, we'd have to cut another men's sport or add another women's sport. Right now, we're kinda running out of women's sports that are cost-effective. Title IX requires that we balance a lot of factors, including money spent, number of scholarships, etc.

What a lot of schools are doing when they add sports is adding womens sports that are cheap, and not necessarily revenue producing. Equestrian seems to be a popular one, and I'd recommend rowing.

At this point, the next sport will be baseball. And, to add baseball, we have to either cut a men's sport or add another women's sport. If you also added men's soccer, again, we'd have to cut another men's sport or add another women's sport. Right now, we're kinda running out of women's sports that are cost-effective. Title IX requires that we balance a lot of factors, including money spent, number of scholarships, etc.

Glad to see some response...and a bit positive at that...to the idea of bringing back men's soccer. We have the facility, the program costs would be "bearable" and UNT has a tradition of winning in men's soccer...and now women's soccer...great job John Hedlund and the women's team. O.K., we add crew and bowling for the women and work with Title IX....it's still all about the money. Would men's soccer supporters be willing to start a "fund/endowment" for men's soccer????? I am all for the new stadium, and agree that we need to get thast going and funded...can we do both? Just wondering.