Surprise, Surprise, Surprise........

ADLER

Football: Texas State starts spring practice without Wasson

Web Posted: 03/20/2007 02:09 AM CDT

Jerry Briggs

Express-News

Chase Wasson's future in college football remained in limbo Monday as Texas State opened spring drills without him.

Wasson, a quarterback-receiver who accounted for 12 touchdowns last season, has been on a leave of absence from the Bobcats for the past month.

It's possible that he has played his last game for Texas State.

In a telephone interview, Wasson said he hopes to graduate from Texas State with a degree in communication studies after this semester and then possibly attend graduate school and play at another institution in the fall.

Declining to name the school, he confirmed it is a Division I-A program and that he would need NCAA clearance to play.

"Right now I'm just exploring what I want to do," said Wasson, who has played three seasons in four years with the I-AA Bobcats. "I'm exploring graduate school options."

Wasson said he approached first-year coach Brad Wright with the request for a release last month.

On Feb. 22, Wright announced that he had given Wasson a leave of absence.

Wright declined comment Monday except to say that he had given Wasson permission to speak with one other school.

The coach said he's eager to work with 43 returning lettermen, including 14 starters, in drills that run through April 14.

"It's here, and we're excited about it," Wright said. "We're putting in some new wrinkles on offense and defense, and we're ready to become a better football team."

Texas State punter Chris MacDonald said he thinks Texas State can fill the void created by the potential loss of Wasson.

"I really do think we have the talent on this team to do that," MacDonald said.

Sophomore Bradley George enters the spring as the starting quarterback. By most accounts, he is expected to have the job when the season opens.

Wasson went to Texas State as a quarterback but has been a receiver most of his two seasons.

He enjoyed a productive season in 2006 — passing, receiving and rushing. He passed for 442 yards and four touchdowns. He caught 27 passes for 380 yards and three TDs, and he had five TDs and 358 yards rushing.

San Antonio - Express New

January 8, 2007

NCAA on Override

NCAA News, Michelle Brutlag

ORLANDO, Florida — Division I institutions again exercised their right to vote on legislation at the Convention, overturning a rule during a January 7 business session that would allow graduate student-athletes who want to transfer to a new institution to compete immediately, and upholding a Board of Directors defeat of a proposal that would have added a 12th game in the Football Championship Subdivision.

The two override votes at the 2007 Convention were the division’s second and third “one school, one vote” decisions since restructuring. The entire Division I membership also had the opportunity to vote at the 2006 Convention on a proposal expanding scholarships in several women’s sports.

The first vote on the transfer legislation was definitive, with 70 percent supporting the override, despite strong support for the legislation from the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee.spoke to the assembly, quoting NCAA research showing that of 4,830 student-athletes who graduated with eligibility remaining, only 112 graduates transferred, and some of them were eligible for the one-time transfer rule.

“Please give student-athletes the privilege of making this important decision for themselves,” Street said. “The (competitive) impact is minimal when compared to what student-athletes gain from continuing their education. It would be a shame to take away this opportunity from student-athletes.”

Many coaches saw the rule differently, though, believing it could eventually create another recruiting period for graduates with eligibility remaining.

Jim Haney, executive director of the National Association of Basketball Coaches, painted a bleak picture of a world of “advisors” who would encourage student-athletes to transfer to more high-profile institutions for more exposure.

“I am worried about the integrity of the game,” Haney said. “I see unintended consequences. … (An override) is in the best interests of the game.”

While not many student-athletes took advantage of the legislation in the first year, he said, eventually more people would have become aware of the opportunity, and recruiting of those student-athletes would proliferate.

Proponents of the override noted that student-athletes who truly wanted to transfer for academic reasons — to pursue a graduate degree not offered at their current institution — could still avail themselves of a waiver process.

Carol Iwaoka, associate commissioner of the Big Ten Conference, said the waiver process would assure transfers were truly for academic reasons.

“Our conference supports the override because we support the academic pursuits of the student-athletes,” she said. “We want transfers through a waiver process that offers quality control.”

Most of the institutions voting, 196, agreed with Iwaoka.

Coincidentally, Division II delegates overwhelmingly approved similar legislation at their business session the following day.

The second override vote at the Division I business session, which upheld a Board decision to defeat a 12th game in the FCS, was not nearly as decisive. Of those voting, only 48 percent wanted to override the decision. Again, SAAC members saw their position defeated. Jarrell Johnson of Western Illinois University said the 12th game would give student-athletes an extra opportunity to make the playoffs and another chance to gain exposure.

“It would be more than thrilling for us to play another game in front of a crowd,” he said. “Having that opportunity to compete keeps up the morale of the team and rewards the loyalty of our fans.”

No one spoke against the override.

I think this is how Kevin Krueger was able to leave Arizona State to play at UNLV for his Dad this year. It was only one year, but Kevin helped his team get to the Sweet 16. The exception rule and that one year made a huge difference for the UNLV program. Two very different sports but it is interesting that the NCAA still has this "loophole."

GMG

He'll have an uphill battle to play at another school...especially if that school is NT. The NCAA frowns heavily on transferring for the purpose of athletics, plus we are not UT or OU whom the NCAA hands out exceptions and wavers to like singles at a strip club.

After this offseason you can toss Vandy in that group as well... what a joke the NCAA is...

I think this is how Kevin Krueger was able to leave Arizona State to play at UNLV for his Dad this year. It was only one year, but Kevin helped his team get to the Sweet 16. The exception rule and that one year made a huge difference for the UNLV program. Two very different sports but it is interesting that the NCAA still has this "loophole."

GMG

He got to UNLV before they repealed the rule I believe.

Below is an interesting report on this situation posted on March 8th, 07 in which Wasson say's he did not ask for the leave but was dismissed from the team. Personally I think he could step right in and help out at WR considering he was Texas State's leading WR last season?

Rick

http://star.txstate.edu/content/view/2899/178/

Wide receiver considering finishing football career elsewhere

Wasson

By Chris Boehm

The University Star

Chase Wasson said to a group of students Wednesday he is planning to pursue graduate school, and his collegiate football career, at another institution.

Wasson, Texas State’s leading wide receiver from the 2006 football season, said he has been accepted for graduate school next year but would not name the institution.

The communications studies senior, who graduates in May, has one year of eligibility remaining to play collegiate sports, but may not get the chance to. He is looking at getting a waiver from the NCAA to play at the institution where he would begin a graduate program in intercollegiate sports administration.

Wasson said he could not pinpoint when he began thinking about playing somewhere else, but the issue arose when he researched graduate programs. Texas State does not offer a graduate program in his desired field of study.

“I don’t know what the future has in store,” Wasson said. “The institutions I looked into all had the graduate program. I left athletics out of it.”

Wasson said he was not granted a leave of absence by Brad Wright, as indicated by the new head football coach earlier this semester.

Wright told The University Star Feb. 16 Wasson entered his office Feb. 12 and asked for the leave on the basis of ‘personal matters.’

“He’s an outstanding young man, and I’ve given him the time it takes to make decisions in his life,” Wright said in February.

Wasson said Wednesday he did not ask for the leave and was dismissed from the team. Wright had no comment on the issue when contacted by The Star. Athletic Director Larry Teis said he could not comment about Wasson’s future.

“That’s between Brad and Chase,” Teis said.

Wasson said Wright has not spoken to him since their Feb. 12 meeting.

Wright became head coach Jan. 22 following the departure of David Bailiff, who was hired as Rice’s head coach.

“I’ve always had a good relationship with Coach Brad Wright,” Wasson said. “I’m sure it’s changed. There was a bond broken between us.”

Wasson said the coaching change was not a factor in his decision. The football program’s staff has undergone sweeping changes in wake of Bailiff’s departure. Only Wright, co-offensive coordinator Travis Bush and co-defensive coordinator Kyle Tietz remain from the previous coaching staff.

“I haven’t talked to (Wright) as far as coming back (to the team),” Wasson said. “I haven’t been a part of this regime.”

The NCAA would have to grant Wasson an eligibility waiver before he could play football at another institution. Wasson said his new school is responsible for filing the waiver, which has not yet been received by the NCAA.

“The appeal process hasn’t started yet,” Wasson said.

The NCAA’s bylaws state athletes transferring from four-year institutions generally are not eligible to play at another four-year school until they have fulfilled a residence requirement of one academic year, meaning two full semesters or three full quarters. Section 14.1.9.1, of the operating bylaws state “a graduate student athlete who is enrolled in a specific degree program in a graduate or professional school of an institution other than the institution from which he or she previously received a baccalaureate degree may participate in intercollegiate athletics, provided the student athlete has eligibility remaining and such participation occurs within the applicable-five year period set forth in Bylaw 14.2.”

Wasson led the Bobcats in receiving yards and touchdowns last season, with 380 and 12, respectively. The senior entered the season as the starting quarterback before moving to wide receiver during a Sept. 16 game against Northern Colorado at Bobcat Stadium. Bradley George replaced Wasson in the loss.

Wasson said he would prefer to give quarterback another shot, should a waiver allow him to play next season.

“Hopefully, I’d be at quarterback, but I haven’t gotten into those talks,” Wasson said. “I’ve been a quarterback all my life, and I’d like to give that another try.”

Wright said in the Feb. 16 interview Wasson would be a starting wide receiver if he played at Texas State next season.

“There’s not a time line on it. It’s not an indefinite,” Wright said Feb. 16. “It’s not a question of if it’s going to be a week, two weeks, a month or two months.”

Wasson has not been working out with the team since his departure, but said he continues to train on his own.

“It’s been different,” Wasson said. “You spend two to three hours the past four years seeing your best friends everyday. When that’s taken away you get a different perspective.”

Before redshirting his first year at Texas State in 2003, Wasson won a Class 5A state title his senior season at Carroll High School in Southlake, leading the team to a 16-0 record. He was named the Class 5A Player of the Year for his 2002 performance, which included Texas high school records of 4,822 passing yards and 54 touchdowns.

In 2004, he started four games as quarterback, throwing for 477 yards and four touchdowns. His most notable moment came against Stephen F. Austin in a 17-14 win, when he ran 41 yards for the game-winning touchdown.

Wasson backed up Barrick Nealy at quarterback during the team’s run to the DI-AA playoff semifinals in 2005.

Below is an interesting report on this situation posted on March 8th, 07 in which Wasson say's he did not ask for the leave but was dismissed from the team. Personally I think he could step right in and help out at WR considering he was Texas State's leading WR last season?

Rick

It doesn't sound like he wants to play receiver:

"Wasson said he would prefer to give quarterback another shot, should a waiver allow him to play next season.

“Hopefully, I’d be at quarterback, but I haven’t gotten into those talks,” Wasson said. “I’ve been a quarterback all my life, and I’d like to give that another try.”

He'll have an uphill battle to play at another school...especially if that school is NT. The NCAA frowns heavily on transferring for the purpose of athletics, plus we are not UT or OU whom the NCAA hands out exceptions and wavers to like singles at a strip club.

It is my understanding that if a student ahtlete graduates and is going to work on his/her masters they can go anywhere they want (provided the school wants him).

Funny you mention OU and UT.

Funny you mention OU and UT.

It's his bit, just let him run with it.

I have zero interest in Wasson. For anything. I don't see him providing much help at any position. He isn't good enough to QB a 1AA team, and he doesn't really want to play WR. What good is he to us?

Edited by Eagle1855

I have zero interest in Wasson. For anything. I don't see him providing much help at any position. He isn't good enough to QB a 1AA team, and he doesn't really want to play WR. What good is he to us?

He was the Class 5A player of the year in THIS OFFENSE.

Not sure why you quoted me, but I didn't imply for a milli-sec. that he is intereested in North Texas.

I guess the thinking is that we've got 3 QB's that TD may or may not want to use. he's recruited one, but maybe he wants to give him a year to mature and develop. So - You bring in a QB that knows the system and let him use his one and only year as the "bridge" between the old system and your new rcruits.

Uhh, I thought we spent all of our 'ships.

We have, but there is always that chance that a player or two will not be coming back for next season. I'm not implying anyone in particular, I'm just stating that every summer we have always seemed to lose a couple that transfer, quit, or don't make grades. Why should this year be any different? I'm not saying they're not good players, but by fall practice there will be some players that realize there are opportunities that suit them better at other schools.

I would expect this summer to be no different than any other. The departing players would open spots for players that are enrolled that don't have scholarships.

About Chase, yes I would love to have him here if this is where he has chosen to pursue his post-graduate work. He's an excellent athlete, and a fifth year senior that knows the system. He may or may not start but I believe that he would certainly be in the top three QBs on the team, and therefore would add stability to what has been perceived as our weakest position since the departure of Scott Hall.

That's my opinion. The opinion that counts belongs to Todd Dodge and he know a little more about the situation than we do.

GMG

Adler

Not sure why you quoted me, but I didn't imply for a milli-sec. that he is intereested in North Texas.

Sorry, misunderstood you.

Not interested in NT? Well he isn't going to get to play at Texas or OU, if that was what you were implying. Sure he may go to grad school there, but I highly doubt either of those teams would be interested in having him play there. Waste of a scholarship.

Sorry, misunderstood you.

Not interested in NT? Well he isn't going to get to play at Texas or OU, if that was what you were implying. Sure he may go to grad school there, but I highly doubt either of those teams would be interested in having him play there. Waste of a scholarship.

Who said that a scholarship would be envolved?