E Brake This Morning

eppy4life

I still love thinking and remembering that fine moment at fouts field.

Which moment are we talking about? As much as I like George Dunham, I now listen to ESPN in the morning. I have a real problem with Craig Miller being an NT Alum and professing his love for OUsed. It wouldnt bother me as much if Craig would say good things about NT also, but he does not. I used to listen to the Ticket everyday, but it really became a Big-XII love-fest around bowl season. I called in once to talk to D&M about NT football. (the third straight SBC Conference Title and Bowl game, which Craig was ragging us for). The guy that answerred the phone (I think it was Fernando that morning) said they were not going to take calls on NT football, but I could send George an email and he would email me back? Uh.., they were talking about it on the air as the guy hung up on me? I know NT football wasnt a big deal to them, but a conference title in ANY league is news worthy and they were currently talking about the bowl matchups?

Anyway... there have been some interesting moments at Fouts, and there will be a few good ones this year! . Let's see if Todd Dodge can get Craig Miller interested in HIS University for a change!

GMG!!!

Which moment are we talking about? As much as I like George Dunham, I now listen to ESPN in the morning. I have a real problem with Craig Miller being an NT Alum and professing his love for OUsed. It wouldnt bother me as much if Craig would say good things about NT also, but he does not. I used to listen to the Ticket everyday, but it really became a Big-XII love-fest around bowl season. I called in once to talk to D&M about NT football. (the third straight SBC Conference Title and Bowl game, which Craig was ragging us for). The guy that answerred the phone (I think it was Fernando that morning) said they were not going to take calls on NT football, but I could send George an email and he would email me back? Uh.., they were talking about it on the air as the guy hung up on me? I know NT football wasnt a big deal to them, but a conference title in ANY league is news worthy and they were currently talking about the bowl matchups?

Anyway... there have been some interesting moments at Fouts, and there will be a few good ones this year! . Let's see if Todd Dodge can get Craig Miller interested in HIS University for a change!

GMG!!!

It is definitely wheels off that Craig a lot of times disregards NT....however in their defense people dont want to talk about NT....frankly no one cares. Its only people like you and me that would like to listen but everyone else would get bored and would tune out. It was probably a big 12 fest because frankly we are in big 12 country and thats what people want to discuss and talk about. They are just doing what their job really requires and thats interest and ratings. On a side note I cant stand ESPN...very boring and they rely too much on national shows and stories.

MP,

It was the In--vi--taaaaaaa-shuuuun moment.

I think the Ticket vs ESPN debate is a fun one:

Are you just listening for sports? Listen to ESPN.

Do you want to laugh a bit as well as get your sports headlines? Go Ticket.

I actually prefer to laugh, with an even smaller dose of sports, so I go back and forth between Howard Stern or Jim Rome and the Ticket.

As for Craig, sadly he is closer to the average NT student than not. Many students, including me, started elsewhere and finished at NT. Some of these guys spent their whole childhood pulling for a college, then go to school there, over-party or flunk out and end up at NT. Allegiance doesn't shift easily. I became a fan of NT from my first game, a NT 3 overtime win vs UT in basketball as I came to NT at mid-year.

Other students leave a school where they watched their team play in a full 70000-seat stadium or a full 15000-seat arena. They come to NT and have their energy level sucked from them while watching NT play basketball with 1651 other fans. It is not an easy transition.

I am supremely confident we are moving our athletic program, and product, in a direction that can inspire new fans, invigorate existing fans and expand the enthusiasm of the average student.

I assure you that if NT had consistently won at a high level for the last 20 years, Craig would more proudly display his NT colors. Maybe we are on the right track.

Craig Miller had an attitude problem when I was around him while he was at NT and apparently still does. If we want to be included in the Big 12 lovefest, let's beat OU...then there should be a good deal more interest.

True, but ESPN makes its own stories and then beats us over the head with them, then distances when it blows up (see USC last year, Ohio St. this year, Phoenix Suns every year, etc.)

Or even the rampant NBA gayness (this is their standard model)

ESPN publishes a book in which a gay former player comes out of the closet.

ESPN personalities all jump on this self-created "story" to publicly express that they are indeed tolerant.

ESPN personalities ask every living athlete about their thoughts on gay players hoping that...

An ESPN personality finally catches a former athlete, who's not up on the latest tolerance talking points.

ESPN runs non-stop coverage of said comments.

ESPN personalities get to go on camera once again and say how much they're against hate.

You could replace with the following:

ESPN declares USC the greatest team ever, matches them up against other teams in hypothetical games

ESPN personalities all jump on this self-created "story" to publicly express that they love USC

ESPN personalities ask every living athlete about their thoughts on USC...

An ESPN personality finally catches someone disagreeing, allowing a bunch of non-sensical debate

ESPN runs non-stop coverage of debate

ESPN personalities get to go on camera again and support USC for 5 more weeks.

ESPN is ruining sports...one game at a time...

I actually prefer to laugh, with an even smaller dose of sports, so I go back and forth between Howard Stern or Jim Rome and the Ticket.

I have serious concerns about your taste in radio if you're listening to Howard Stern or Jim Rome. I can't stand either one of them.

On the ESPN vs Ticket debate I will always side Ticket. I can't stand listening to KO on DP, and I will never listen to "The freakin ball of hate show." Listening to her is almost as painful as seeing pictures of her.

Edited by eppy4life

Guest GrayEagleOne

The notion that the Ticket should be for Big XII only is pure BS. It should be primarily for Metroplex teams IMO. That would be the area pro, college and high school teams first, then Texas teams. I have little interest in OU, Kansas, Colorado, the Cincinnati Bengals etc. except where one of the local teams is involved. The Big 12 might have their offices in the area but they have no teams and other than the outgrow of some economy spillover from their offices being here, the Texas-OU game, and some media purchases contribute little to this area. I dare say that TCU, SMU, North Texas, and UTA spend far more money in the DFW area than the Big XII.

Scott, I worry about you if Howard Stern and Jim Rome are comedic and entertaining. Stern is a one-trick pony, that trick being sex. The most entertaining Jim Rome has been to me was getting knocked off the stage by the Cowboy quarterback whose name escapes me now.

I feel the same way that the majority of this board feels concerning Junior Miller. I would listen to the Ticket during George Dunham's hours were it not for Craig. If they are going to keep him, pair him with Rhimes and pair the Hammer with George. Then we could tune out the Rhimes and the Junior show and become Ticket fans again.

MP,

It was the In--vi--taaaaaaa-shuuuun moment.

I think the Ticket vs ESPN debate is a fun one:

Are you just listening for sports? Listen to ESPN.

Do you want to laugh a bit as well as get your sports headlines? Go Ticket.

As for Craig, sadly he is closer to the average NT student than not. Many students, including me, started elsewhere and finished at NT. Some of these guys spent their whole childhood pulling for a college, then go to school there, over-party or flunk out and end up at NT. Allegiance doesn't shift easily. I became a fan of NT from my first game, a NT 3 overtime win vs UT in basketball as I came to NT at mid-year.

Other students leave a school where they watched their team play in a full 70000-seat stadium or a full 15000-seat arena. They come to NT and have their energy level sucked from them while watching NT play basketball with 1651 other fans. It is not an easy transition.

I am supremely confident we are moving our athletic program, and product, in a direction that can inspire new fans, invigorate existing fans and expand the enthusiasm of the average student.

I assure you that if NT had consistently won at a high level for the last 20 years, Craig would more proudly display his NT colors. Maybe we are on the right track.

This is precisely the attitude I can't stand. Follow and support your school because IT IS YOUR SCHOOL not because they have a history of success. Craig Miller is the worst of offenders, though, because he is a sports broadcaster who got his start and training in sports broadcasting AT NORTH TEXAS.

I give Craig a "free pass" for OU support, since he's from Oklahoma

My Free Pass rules:

You can follow a "Big State U" if you are really from that state. City and regional schools (such as Louisville) fit this also, if you are actually from there.

You can continue to follow a school that your parents or spouse attended and you were exposed to following them.

You can follow a service academy.

You can follow a religious school (BYU, ND, Baylor, etc).

You can (and should) follow your alma mater.

Unless it fits one of these categories, it's front-running.

Quoner

You may want to let everyone know that your ESPN reference is from DeadSpin

Although based on your post history you are witty enough that you could be this mystery reader.

I do read (and write to them) but this wasn't mine. I actually forgot to link (I usually link to them on the other section of this board 1-2 times a week) and appreciate the catch.

I don't want to start aping material from the blog world and not giving credit - then I'm no better than Stephen A. Smith. Quite Frankly, I'm all you need.

I do read (and write to them) but this wasn't mine. I actually forgot to link (I usually link to them on the other section of this board 1-2 times a week) and appreciate the catch.

I don't want to start aping material from the blog world and not giving credit - then I'm no better than Stephen A. Smith. Quite Frankly, I'm all you need.

great job newbie way to plagiarize

Thats why I didnt rain down hate on you. You Colin Cowherd starter kit j/k

Plus I enjoy the fact you are sarcastic and lighten things up around here

My Free Pass rules:

You can follow a "Big State U" if you are really from that state. City and regional schools (such as Louisville) fit this also, if you are actually from there.

You can continue to follow a school that your parents or spouse attended and you were exposed to following them.

Perfectly put. I agree completely.

Craig Miller still sucks. And not just because he pretends NT doesn't exist. It's because he always sounds like an elitist whiny bitch. I would just tune out all things Craig Miller said when I listened to Dunham and Miller when I was in Texas. Gordo and George own that show. Craig's just kinda there for the ride.

I love The Ticket. I'm still a P1...and I listen online alot. But, of all the on-air folks at The Ticket, it wouldn't bother me a bit if Craig Miller was let go tomorrow. I will likely have been more upset about them letting Big Dick Hunter go.

My Free Pass rules:

This is a really good post. :clapping:

The notion that the Ticket should be for Big XII only is pure BS. It should be primarily for Metroplex teams IMO. That would be the area pro, college and high school teams first, then Texas teams. I have little interest in OU, Kansas, Colorado, the Cincinnati Bengals etc. except where one of the local teams is involved. The Big 12 might have their offices in the area but they have no teams and other than the outgrow of some economy spillover from their offices being here, the Texas-OU game, and some media purchases contribute little to this area. I dare say that TCU, SMU, North Texas, and UTA spend far more money in the DFW area than the Big XII.

Scott, I worry about you if Howard Stern and Jim Rome are comedic and entertaining. Stern is a one-trick pony, that trick being sex. The most entertaining Jim Rome has been to me was getting knocked off the stage by the Cowboy quarterback whose name escapes me now.

I feel the same way that the majority of this board feels concerning Junior Miller. I would listen to the Ticket during George Dunham's hours were it not for Craig. If they are going to keep him, pair him with Rhimes and pair the Hammer with George. Then we could tune out the Rhimes and the Junior show and become Ticket fans again.

Maybe the problem is that UNT just hasn't given them a lot to talk about. Hopefully TD will instill an ass-kickin' type attitude on that football team; so give folks somethign to talk about. And hopefully that attitude will spread around the athletic department (ahum, JJ).

(and to be fair, The Ticket gave the TD hiring plenty of air time).

George is great and is a prize to the NT faithful. He's the only reason many of us listen to the ticket, If it weren't for him we would all be listening to JACK KISS WOLF or ESPN 105.3 102.9 KVIL etc. . Craig will crawl out from under his anti-UNT rock when we perform a few W's on some unsuspecting rivals. OU, ARK, NAVY(if we win two of these, things will change). When we get some good and rowdy crowds, we will gt noticed.