Do The Bb Coaches Have Your Confidence?

Cerebus

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jones has done a good job bringing in talent, but his coaching is suspect at times in Belt games so far. He has my confidence for now, but if he doesn't finish the season strong (better than 20 wins) or if he has another first round exit from the Belt Tourney I say fire his butt. Nothing personal I like the guy, but if he can't deliver when it counts he is not the coach for us. As for Slinker she should have been fired before she was hired. Delivering a good team once every 10 years is not gonna work here. I wonder if we can hire Insell away from the MUTS...

I am not sure I have confidence in either at this point, but both have another year on their contracts. JJ unless the wheels totally come off will have the best year of his NT career. Based on the men's play of late, I think they are still capable of making a run in a league with no dominant teams. Imo, JJ will be here next year.

As far as Slinker, I think the only reason she is still here is that there are few that care enough about wbb to pressure NT into making any change. Although, I think Slinker will be here next year if not longer, I would like to see what a difference coach could do next year with all but one player returning. Frankly, the Belt has passed Slinker by, it is too good a conference for her to ever prosper. RV made a major blunder extending her contract two years.

JJ's best last hope is to get a good seed and maybe win a tournament game in the Super Pit.

How's that for confidence?

And how confident are you that even if we get a home conference tournament game we will be able to win? I just have flashbacks of disbelief while watching the men lose on our home court in the first round a couple years ago.

sorry to dissapoint, but it wasn't me.

That actually makes me excited.... the program needs more fans, not cheerleaders. We have plenty of cheerleaders - when they decide to show up. Or are made to come. T-shirt cannon is pretty dependable though...

Quick follow up question for the people who voted that they have confidence in either JJ or Slinker. When did you start following UNT basketball closely?

dude this is my first year at UNT, I have been to every home game plus have payed nearly 50 dollars to see them play away on a 3X3 inch screen.. how does this being my first year that make me any less of a fan??

I just find it funny how when the team is doing well hardly anybody posts on here, but as soon as they lose a game they have all these "fans" get on here just to tell the rest of us who still believe in this team that we are wrong for doing so.. ya what good fans you guys are..

I am very confident in both of our coaches.

Im confident JJs boys will lose AGAIN in the 1st round and underperform AGAIN. Im confident our FT% will continue to suck and also confident that whomever we play , they will hit about 10 3's.

Im confident that Slinker's women will never come close to a SBC championship. Im confident that she has something on someone since she has been here 18 years.

Im confident that they both will be back next year and confident that we will be having the same issues & problems this time next year.

dude this is my first year at UNT, I have been to every home game plus have payed nearly 50 dollars to see them play away on a 3X3 inch screen.. how does this being my first year that make me any less of a fan??

Yeah, we get it. You and chrissy and UNTwillrise are first year fans, who are very enthusiastic.

What y'all don't seem to get....this is Johnny Jones 6th freaking year...not his first. So, maybe just maybe, some of us have reached a point where we'd like to give someone else a chance. We've watched six years of JJ Ball.....not ONE.

The goal in college basketball is to make the NCAA tournament. JJ has never even come within one game of making it to the "Dance."

And......as far as the poll....do fans have confidence in JJ and Slinker: Well when you can go to one of their games on a perfectly nice night (weather wise) and find between 9,000 (Jones' case) and 9,900 (Slinker's case) EMPTY SEATS.......I think that tells you all you need to know about how much confidence our fans have in those two.

And how confident are you that even if we get a home conference tournament game we will be able to win? I just have flashbacks of disbelief while watching the men lose on our home court in the first round a couple years ago.

That was a major disappointment that was to witness. <_<

man I love the support the basketball team gets.. screw it, why show up at anymore games? they are just going to lose in the first round of the conference tournament.. you guys talked me into not likeing the team anymore congrats

How about we talk a walk down the corridor of years...

2005-06

NT 55

UALR 72

Overall record 14-14

-------------------------

2004-05

NT 76

ASU 84

Overall record 14-14

2003-04

NT 89

UNO 91

Overall record 13-15

2002-03

NT 73

UALR 74

Overall record 7-21

2001-02

Game 1

NT 84

FIU 71

Game 2

NT 68

WKU 82

Overall record 15-14

Now, exactly at what point do fans have a really good reason to feel confident about our chances in the post season? We've won 1 of 6 games in 5 years.

Edited by UNTFan23

How about we talk a walk down the corridor of years...

you don't have to take me down the corridor of years, i've already given up on the basketball team like you guys want me to! I understand believing in your coach and the players on your team is a sin at UNT, esp. after a 1 point overtime loss to the top team in our conference..

What the crap are you talking about? You are the only person here that has called people bad fans, with the latest "bad fan" a 20 year season ticket holder who apparently "can't stick with the team".

I wanted to know how long the people who are confident in the coaches have been following UNT basketball. Early results show what I expected; new fans are excited about the talent and think JJ is doing a good job from the players he can bring in, but have little exposure to his actual coaching and don't yet know that he is a poor game coach and developer of talent.

man I love the support the basketball team gets.. screw it, why show up at anymore games? they are just going to lose in the first round of the conference tournament.. you guys talked me into not likeing the team anymore congrats

You know very well that was not their intention. Their intention was to open your eyes to the fact that JJ has not guided the program where he should have after 6 seasons. I love every UNT sport and up until a few games ago (stupid work) I had not missed a Mens home game in nearly 2 seasons and up until this season I was attending nearly 70% of womens home games since '03. I have been following UNT basketball since my freshman year in '02 but the UNT win over Cincy in the '02 NO Bowl is what got me excited that UNT was finally taking its sports seriously. I am a 3rd generation Mean Green Eagle and have had 7 close family members (this is counting only family 1st cousin or closer) attend and graduate from NT since the 40s. I grew up around the discrace that UNT called an athletic department and administration for the better part of the late 70s, all of the 80s, and most of the 90s. Heck until we had both RV and Pohl in place it was still more or less a discrace to the legacy built up to the early 70s. True fans will be there through thick and thin. I still go to the game and support the the players and the AD whether I support JJs leadership or not. Does that mean I will stand by and watch while we go through another Tic Vrilli era? Hell no. That chapter of UNT fandom is over. Our fans now know that the admistration is ready to listen. The administration and the fans have a vision for where we want to see UNT athletics in 10 years and nothing personal to Johnny but 1-6 over 6 years of conference tourneys and a .500 regular season conference record is NOT it. There are a lot of people out there that can recruit and not coach. We need someone that can coach and recruit. Like I said before JJ has this season to prove me wrong before I lose confidence in him, but Slinker should have been gone a long time ago. She is a product of our screw athletics administration of the 80s and it shows. Once every 10 years she gets lucky and gets a couple of good recruits (the whole blind squirrell thing comes to mind) and it saves her for a few more years. I'm sorry if I expect more than post season once a decade.

NT basketball needs fans, all kinds of fans. It is great that there are new fans that enjoy the program. However, to assume that anyone that is critical of coaching, players, or overall play is not a fan is the height of stupidity. Just look at any message-board for any sport and see the different reactions to a winning and a losing team. Most people are fair weather fans to a certain extent. In the case of the current NT team some see a winning team with as good a chance as any in winning the conference tournament, others see another JJ team that is playing .500 ball in conference with no history of success in the Belt tournament.

I have been a fan of NT bb since the Joe Hamilton, Leroy Winfied and Crest Whitaker Missouri Valley days. Probably the best basketball team ever at NT. In the almost 40 years of watching NT basketball there have been very few good teams. Other than Blakeley's early years and a couple of years that Gales' team won the SLC there has been little to get excited about. However, the reason I and others remain long term fans is a love of basketball, NT is our school and the knowledge that one day NT will have great success. It is just my hope that the NT administration starts taking Basketball seriously and takes the necessary steps to substantially upgrade the program.

With our location and facilities we should be getting top notch talent from the DFW area and competing for the title each year with 20 win seasons. If Tech and Baylor can do it we should be able to (Texas is a different story). JJ recruits well but does not seem to get the teams up for games consistently. Thus I had to vote no on each.