Unt Vs. Mtsu Game

chrisfisher

We could move into second place or tied for second place (and only one game out of first place) with a win against MTSU and if: Western Kentucky knocks off Ark State, South Alabama beats Louisiana-Monroe, and Florida Int beats New Orleans. 2/3 have a real shot (WKU and USA). Who knows, maybe FIU will surprise us. Then again, none of this matters if we can't beat a very hot MTSU road team (5-0 in SBC road conference games) tonight. See y'all at the game tonight. Let's get really rowdy!

Edited by chrisfisher

We could move into second place or tied for second place (and only one game out of first place) with a win against MTSU and if: Western Kentucky knocks off Ark State, South Alabama beats Louisiana-Monroe, and Florida Int beats New Orleans. 2/3 have a real shot (WKU and USA). Who knows, maybe FIU will surprise us. Then again, none of this matters if we can't beat a very hot MTSU road team (5-0 in SBC road conference games) tonight. See y'all at the game tonight. Let's get really rowdy!

I'll be there sitting right behind the visitor bench. Rise up Pit Crew and join me!

First off, I am now 2 for 2 on Basketball trivia during 2nd half timeouts! Yes that was me down there answering the toughest trivia questions they can throw out at me!

I was impressed with the way the team played defense. Defense on the perimeter really limited the outside shooting of the MUTS, and forced several turnovers. On offense we moved the ball around well, but sometimes we were reluctant to actually take a shot or get the ball down low. Keith Wooden was open in the paint all night, and we didn't get the ball to him enough. The MUTS made it close a few times, but never led in the game. Really fun game to watch!!!

(P.S., they give you the answer before they ask you the trivia question)

First off, I am now 2 for 2 on Basketball trivia during 2nd half timeouts! Yes that was me down there answering the toughest trivia questions they can throw out at me!

I was impressed with the way the team played defense. Defense on the perimeter really limited the outside shooting of the MUTS, and forced several turnovers. On offense we moved the ball around well, but sometimes we were reluctant to actually take a shot or get the ball down low. Keith Wooden was open in the paint all night, and we didn't get the ball to him enough. The MUTS made it close a few times, but never led in the game. Really fun game to watch!!!

Nice job holding up that "B"!! I didn't know Kendrick scored 600 last season, I figured it was CWat with all his jack up 3s.

I was one of the contestants during a game last year. I thought it was funny that they give you the answer, but then again, who wants to look stupid in front of all those people anyway?

We didn't really win that game! It was all smoke and mirrors. Fire JJ tomorrow because I just know, despite the two blowout wins we've strung together, that we will fold soon. Really. I mean it. We're gonna fold. Please, oh please, won't somebody believe we're gonna fold?! <_<

A 13-point win is not a blow out, 66 - 53, neither is a 17-point, 76 - 59. A blowout is an easy victory, according to WordNet. I know for sure that the MUTS game wasn't an easy victory. Leading by 4 against FAU at the half isn't easy.

A 13-point win is not a blow out, 66 - 53, neither is a 17-point, 76 - 59. A blowout is an easy victory, according to WordNet. I know for sure that the MUTS game wasn't an easy victory. Leading by 4 against FAU at the half isn't easy.

we did seem to have control of the throughout most of the MTSU game.. And since when is winning by 17 points not a blow out?? I deffinently wouldn't call that a close game :blink:

ok jj isn't "blowing out" teams, just winning by double digits.. FIRE HIM! ;)

:lol:

This is probably the best team we've had since I've followed NT...at the age of about 9 or 10. Sure we made acouple of SLC finals in the early/mid 90's under Coach Jankovich, but I believe this is a better squad than any of Jank's(and I really liked Jankovich).

You're right. What was I thinking? Turning it on the second half and turning a 4 point lead into a 17 point victory and turning a 5 point lead into a 13 point victory just shows how truly weak we still are. JJ should have been canned just after the Goldfield's announced their stadium donation!

I guess I'll reluctantly chime in too. I really don't like making negative posts towards other fellow gmg members. However, I can't help but notice these "fire JJ" or "we're going down the toilet" types are no where to be found after two consecutive wins. Where are these guys when we win? They come crawling out of the woodwork to laud our struggles and blast the coaches/team. I bet these guys are saying, "damn I wish we wouldn't win. It only encourages RV to keep JJ." I'm basically to point where I don't care anymore what these disgruntled folks say. I am going to keep supporting my team and, most of all, try to enjoy being a Mean Green fan.

Emmitt & Chris,

Nothing makes me happier than when NT wins (No matter the sport). I hope I'm wrong and the Men And Women win out the season and qualify for the Tournament.

Go Mean Green. Go Johnny Jones, Go Tina Slinker.

None of these wins mean anything in the big picture. This team and JJ need to be measured ultimately in the conference tournament which has been a COMPLETE DISASTER in the past.

This team has still not convinced me that it has what it takes to finish the season strong, which is what has been lacking in the JJ era.

There is no reason we should not finish first or second in the division and win at least two games in the tournament. This is my measurement of a successful season.

See everyone next Saturday vs the Hilltoppers!

GMG!

Edited by Talon90

None of these wins mean anything in the big picture. This team and JJ need to be measured ultimately in the conference tournament which has been a COMPLETE DISASTER in the past.

This team has still not convinced me that it has what it takes to finish the season strong, which is what has been lacking in the JJ era.

Ask any coach or player if it's true that only playoff games matter and if it's OK to write off regular season games as meaningless. I don't think any coach tells his players before the game that tonight we're just scrimmaging to play in the tourney a month from now, so winning tonight will mean nothing. That's obviously not an acceptable attitude. Besides, the ability to compete day in and day out has enormous bearing on playoff success.

Compounding the error, you're saying that for a team to have a great regular season, winning time after time at home, is a worthless endeavor -- that is has no value on its own. Ask any baseball fan if Bobby Cox is a miserable failure as a manager because the Braves won a dozen consecutive division titles with brilliant regular season play but only won one World Series before the team was dismantled. No one on Earth doubts that Cox is a Hall of Famer on his first ballot.

Nobody can deny that we've had some late-season collapses; the last nine games last year we went 2-7. But let's turn the psychology around. I want the coach and the fans to expect and encourage, not predict failure. If your C-student kid brings home an A or a B in a hard class, you don't say, "Yeah, but you still haven't shown me that you won't flunk next semester." You say, "Great job -- I'm proud of you. Now let's keep it up."

Wins are semi important ... they'll help us in the conference tournament seeding.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think any win is only semi important.

To continue my admitted labored baseball analogy about the importance of every single effort on its own merits, somebody asked Ted Williams why he still tried so hard to get a hit when the Red Sox were safely ahead or hopelessly behind. He said he imagined there were only two people in the park watching him that day: A young kid seeing him for the first time, and an old man seeing him for the last time. What kind of memory did he want to leave?

Nineteen seasons, .344 career batting average, .482 career on-base percentage.

One World Series appearance -- a loss.

There is no reason we should not finish first or second in the division and win at least two games in the tournament. This is my measurement of a successful season.

See everyone next Saturday vs the Hilltoppers!

GMG!

I understand what you are saying, though I whole heartedly disagree. I must point out that you contradict yourself in your statements. First, you say that these regular season wins mean nothing and should have no bearing on JJ's future. Then you say that there is no reason we should not finish first or second (and then win 2 tourny games); however, for us to take first or second place, we have to win regular season games. Apparently, these games do mean something to you as indicated in your final measurement for success.

Never underestimate the value of winning, especially regular season games. When you win, a windfall of good things start to happen - most importantly, the team's confidence sky rockets, and this how you must enter playoff games if you expect to win. How many teams have you seen in any sport that crap out during the regular season only to go deep into the playoffs? There are examples, but these are exceptions to the rule. Think how we entered the SBC tourney last season - on losing streak; how far did we get?. The regular season sets the mental tone of the team as well as the seeding for the playoffs (or tournament in this case). To say that regular season wins do not make a difference is a big mistake in my opinion.

Hypothetical: If Jonnie Jones wins out the rest of the season (record = 23-6), and then loses in the first round... would I fire him? It depends on how they lose. If they get blown out, then I might make a case for it. But if the team plays hard and it comes down to the wire, I'd keep him. It will be hard for any coach we hired to surpass that record, and I think JJ deserves another shot at the SBC tourny just based on that excellent regular season performance.

Edited by chrisfisher

Yep, you got us. People who have been Mean Green fans for more than a season or two, and have a bit of perspective, want the team to lose. You figured us out, and now the 3 people on this board who are excited about JJ's "accomplishments" as coach at UNT are the only true fans. Everyone else is secretly hoping for the team to lose. :rolleyes: