Oh, How Far We've Fallen

MeanGreen61

CollegeFootballNews 2007 pre-season rankings. Scroll down to the BOTTOM <_< Time for some Dodge Ball magic ! :)

Bottom of the barrel

http://cfn.scout.com/2/609734.html

I love to hate his web site. They have no Idea what is going on in the Sun Belt. They like most every other sports page drool over the to 25, watch the 26-50, and mostly ignore the rest. The 50-119 ranking is based on history and a WA guess. They will always put the Sun Belt teams at the bottom no matter what. I can't remember how Troy finished but I'm sure it wasn't high enough. I'm sure the NO Bowl broke their heart.

I love to hate his web site. They have no Idea what is going on in the Sun Belt. They like most every other sports page drool over the to 25, watch the 26-50, and mostly ignore the rest. The 50-119 ranking is based on history and a WA guess. They will always put the Sun Belt teams at the bottom no matter what. I can't remember how Troy finished but I'm sure it wasn't high enough. I'm sure the NO Bowl broke their heart.

um okay. I still think they do better than most other readings out there.

So Troy skins Rice a few weeks ago, Rice loses its coach in disheartening fashion, and yet Rice is No. 93 and Troy is No. 105?

"After shocking the bowl world with a dismantling of Rice in the New Orleans Bowl, the program is sky high."

Well, ranked at 105, the sky apparently hangs kind of low over Troy.

And SMU is #79? Higher than any SunBelt team?

I sincerely hope this kind of thing angers every SunBelt team. Maybe the disrespect is earned. But it is disrespect, and as has said before, there is only one way to overcome that - cave in some people's skulls.

Call it what you will but in a mid major you have to win year in and year out to get any sort of recognition. If we win the sunbelt and go say 2 out of 3 OOC we may not even finish in the top 25. now the second or third year we will.

There is NO WAY a Sun-Belt Conference team will EVER be in the top 25....EVERRRR

How do you like the picture :D

There is NO WAY a Sun-Belt Conference team will EVER be in the top 25....EVERRRR

How do you like the picture :D

Because troy won their bowl game. They have the best chance. But not the only chance. If they win a couple of OOC games and sweep the belt and win the bowl game they will be ranked. They can have no more the 3 losses and realistically they can only have 2.

Guest GrayEagleOne

If any one doing this type of ranking is honest, he'll admit that these are subjective and based mostly on hearsay. Is there any way that one person knows the difference between, say, the No. 76 and No. 77 teams?

I call this stuff just blog fodder.

Most rankings are done by computer based on offensive and defensive statistics and strength of schedule. Some are opinion polls but they only pick the Top 25. Of course, it's not precise, nothing could be unless everyone played everone, which is impossible. But, it is a pretty fair indicator; just don't take it literally.

BTW, we were a consensus 50s pick, two of Dickey's years as head coach.

If you take last year's figures, factor in the loss of Quinn and others, it's easy to see why we are ranked so low. As good as we think Todd Dodge will be, he's still a rookie (college) coach so one couldn't expect our ranking to rise. It's where we finish that will tell the tale and I think that we'll be much higher.

Most rankings are done by computer based on offensive and defensive statistics and strength of schedule. Some are opinion polls but they only pick the Top 25. Of course, it's not precise, nothing could be unless everyone played everone, which is impossible. But, it is a pretty fair indicator; just don't take it literally.

BTW, we were a consensus 50s pick, two of Dickey's years as head coach.

If you take last year's figures, factor in the loss of Quinn and others, it's easy to see why we are ranked so low. As good as we think Todd Dodge will be, he's still a rookie (college) coach so one couldn't expect our ranking to rise. It's where we finish that will tell the tale and I think that we'll be much higher.

All true. But the trend toward quantitative analysis of what is fundamentally a qualitative activity is fraught with dangers, both actual and philosophical.

The BCS was supposed to be an improvement because the data and analysis are, in theory, objective. Granted, the numbers prevent someone from voting for or against X based on prejudice. However, the numbers can only predict broad probability, and granted as well that those broad probabilities are fairly reliable; OU probably will win the matchup more often than Boise State. And most times, Tony Romo will successfully place the ball for a successful field goal. It is those little victories and foibles that make the game fun. It's a contest, not a Big Mac. You don't know in advance how it will taste.

The main argument against over-quantifying our games relates back to the tension between objectivity and subjectivity. A computer would unhesitatingly give us Rose/McGwire/Bonds/Sosa in the Baseball Hall of Fame. Sometimes it take real people with good judgment to say no to numbers.

Besides, I don't think we should be any lower than, say, 110th.

You have to EARN respect. Frankly the Sunbelt has gained SOME respect but gaining respect from the CUSA, WAC, MWC doesn't say a whole lot. You have to be kidding yourselves if you think the sunbelt should have teams higher than they are right now. You EARN respect by winning and winning consistently. On top of that you need quality out of conference wins. If you have that then then you will be considered for some respect. As of right now NO sunbelt team will get respect or even deserve it. Maybe in 3-5 years?

-----In basketball this title is absolutely correct... we once were in a confernece with Cincinnati, Louisville, Tulsa, Memphis, Drake, Bradley, Wichita State and others. Our conference (MVC) had 5 teams in the top 10 at Christmas time my senior year.

--I loved basketball when I went to UNT and seeing all those future NBA players.