How Many Think It Is Time To Revisit The Idea Of The Wac?

the real grad88

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I frankly dont understand the logic of turning down the WAC was a good thing. Thats why NT athletics is where it is today because of people like them. To think the SBC is even in the same breath as the WAC or CUSA is absolutely rediculous....and with NT fans saying that we probably have very dumb fans. If you want to make a push for athletics you have to be a leader...not a follower. Sure travel costs would have gone up etc etc etc but here we want to spend 60 million dollars on a stadium of 30K-60K that we only avg 16K/per game and yet we dont want to spend an extra half a million dollars or so a year and travel and play valuable opponents and benefit from being in a better conference. Pure stupidity by MANY NT fans I tell you.

Daddy, you have 27 posts and are demanding answers from alumni or other people associated with the school, that have been on here for years and have had this EXACT SAME DISCUSSION about 3,876,095 times. I'm not trying to get testy, but after the same debate repeated ad naseum every time someone new registers it gets real old 3-4 years down the line.

You didn't even know what conference we were in with Nevada, and Boise State(the Big West which was a disaster for us....with many of the same schools that are now in the WAC). The BW debacle is what forced us into the Sunbelt in the 1st place.

Hey listen...I LIVE in the West. If anyone should be for a Westward conference for NT it should be me. I just remember the beatdown the BW used to be.

I frankly dont understand the logic of turning down the WAC was a good thing. Thats why NT athletics is where it is today because of people like them. To think the SBC is even in the same breath as the WAC or CUSA is absolutely rediculous....and with NT fans saying that we probably have very dumb fans. If you want to make a push for athletics you have to be a leader...not a follower. Sure travel costs would have gone up etc etc etc but here we want to spend 60 million dollars on a stadium of 30K-60K that we only avg 16K/per game and yet we dont want to spend an extra half a million dollars or so a year and travel and play valuable opponents and benefit from being in a better conference. Pure stupidity by MANY NT fans I tell you.

AMEN brotha...now you're speaking my language....

We need to get freakin dorks who want to keep the UNT football games feeling like a high school game out outta there. If they want to see a high school game go watch Denton Ryan. As for me, I want to start seeing some good college football games with some good recruited players with even better tailgating with exciting plays. :offtopic:

As for me, I want to start seeing some good college football games with some good recruited players with even better tailgating with exciting plays. :offtopic:

A point was made earlier that I believe to be true. Not one Mid Major conference will make a team better. The mid major teams that becomes ranked gets there because of what the Team is able to accomplish. The strength of schedule within conference play is not that different. Neither CUSA or the WAC is that different in those terms. However,TV contracts and Bowl game tie ins do come with conferences. But rest assured if we start winning Bowl Games will be there. IF we make a move it needs to be to CUSA. But we are not going to get a look at another conference unless we get Baseball and a new Stadium and we win. We need to focus on the Belt and if we have the opportunity to change then fine.

Not one Mid Major conference will make a team better.

Disagree. I think a 'Mid major' conference will vastly increase the talent of the recruits, therefore making the team more 'successful'.

The mid major teams that becomes ranked gets there because of what the Team is able to accomplish.

And who they recruit. Lets face it we aren't all of a sudden start winning unless we recruit talent. To do that we have to get out of a conference of bottom dwellers.

The strength of schedule within conference play is not that different. Neither CUSA or the WAC is that different in those terms.

Also disagree, their schedules are much much more difficult that ours.

IF we make a move it needs to be to CUSA.

Not sure I understand your reasoning, or agree. I dont think UNT needs to be picky about which conference they GET INTO as long as they GET OUT of the SBC.

But we are not going to get a look at another conference unless we get Baseball and a new Stadium and we win. We need to focus on the Belt and if we have the opportunity to change then fine.

Couldn't agree more...about the Baseball team and winning anyway. Again, I dont think a new stadium is a must to move conferences.

BUT yes we do need to just focus on the Belt and every possible way to get out, if that means winning games and adding a Baseball team then my all means lets push for it. :thumbsup:

A WAC invitation was already offered to us and Dr Pohl and Rick V did the right thing. They looked at the situation, and decided to stay in the belt.

We want in CUSA, but until that comes along, we will stay in the SBC, there really isn't any point arguing this. Though we seem to do it every 6 months.

I think the point is that the WAC (or any other 1A conference for that matter) would give NORTH TEXAS more access to OUR recruiting base.

The post simply says that many quality players in our recruiting base (DFW area) choose not to sign with North Texas simply because we are in the transitional SBC. Membership in a different 1A conference would give us more access to those players in my opinion.

A WAC invitation was already offered to us and Dr Pohl and Rick V did the right thing. They looked at the situation, and decided to stay in the belt.

We want in CUSA, but until that comes along, we will stay in the SBC, there really isn't any point arguing this. Though we seem to do it every 6 months.

A few questions as I have not been here 6 months:

1. Why was that the right thing? What possibly benefits have come from it?

2. Why do we want in the CUSA, over other conferences?

No one is arguing but still no one has been able to answer those questions. This should be a moot point as we all agree the SBC sucks and WAC, CUSA, MWC are much much better, therefore change conferences. Case closed, no more 'arguing'. Right!?

Were you here for the Big West Daddy? Trust me...things have improved exponentially since we were in that league. We'd have football games with maybe 2K in attendance. The SBC in many ways saved our athletic program.

Edited by CMJ

Were you here for the Big West Daddy? Trust me...things have improved exponentially since we were in that league. We'd have football games with maybe 2K in attendance. The SBC in many ways saved our athletic program.

CMJ...ok Old Timer

I dont care about any Big West or any other 50's conference. I care about the future, not the past. I think its great that we have more than 2K fans at our games now, just like in 5 years I want to be able to look back to now and say we used to have only 16K fans at our games. No use getting content with how things are now because 20 yrs ago they were worse....WELL heck they should have been worse then, just like now should be worse than 5 yrs from now.

So what...things have improved a little...I want them to keep improving. So lets tip our hat to the SBC.................AND MOVE ON! :bangin:

I was here for the Big West and I don't think that any attendance increases since moving to the SBC were related to fan interest in our SBC brothers in any way. We didn't win in the Big West and we did win in the SBC. I do agree that the bowl tie in helped revive interest here in a big way, but I don't exactly see hordes of our opposing SBC fans packing Fouts on a regular basis. Besides, the Big West (football) was basically a smaller version of the SBC of a couple of years ago.

CMJ...ok Old Timer

I dont care about any Big West or any other 50's conference. I care about the future, not the past. I think its great that we have more than 2K fans at our games now, just like in 5 years I want to be able to look back to now and say we used to have only 16K fans at our games. No use getting content with how things are now because 20 yrs ago they were worse....WELL heck they should have been worse then, just like now should be worse than 5 yrs from now.

So what...things have improved a little...I want them to keep improving. So lets tip our hat to the SBC.................AND MOVE ON! :bangin:

Bro, the Big West folded in 2000. It wasn't that long ago.

CMJ...ok Old Timer

I think you missed the point of that Big West comment it hasn't been 20-30 or 50 years since we were that low. We left the Big West for the Sun Belt in 2000. And most people here remember games in the last 90's if we pulled 5k we were luckily. And I do agree the early success in the Sun Belt did save our program and now it's time to take the next step and make a commitment to our future. The travel expense and lack or in state rivals in the WAC could really be detrimental to our program we must stay where we are or hold out for CUSA until we get into position to enter a BCS conference.

Guest JohnDenver

All it takes is Boise State to leave the WAC -- for the MWC -- and all of a sudden WAC is WAY worse than the SBC. And then you can't say that we shouldn't even mentioned in the same breath.

I think everyone around these parts is waiting patiently for the CUSA invite.

All it takes is Boise State to leave the WAC -- for the MWC -- and all of a sudden WAC is WAY worse than the SBC. And then you can't say that we shouldn't even mentioned in the same breath.

Yeah. Boise State's success has made a western conference shuffle a little more likely to me. That's why I'm now in kind of a wait and see mode as far as the WAC is concerned.

I think you missed the point of that Big West comment it hasn't been 20-30 or 50 years since we were that low. We left the Big West for the Sun Belt in 2000. And most people here remember games in the last 90's if we pulled 5k we were luckily. And I do agree the early success in the Sun Belt did save our program and now it's time to take the next step and make a commitment to our future. The travel expense and lack or in state rivals in the WAC could really be detrimental to our program we must stay where we are or hold out for CUSA until we get into position to enter a BCS conference.

OMG...are you kidding....

Stay where we are or hold out for CUSA...man you're shooting for the stars aren't you. So while we're waiting lets see what happens: Our fan base and school spirit decreases even more, we get less and less recruits, play worse and worse teams as those (with the right idea) in the SBC move on to play bigger and better schools by accepting better conference invitations.......All while we wait for our position to enter into a BSC conference...did i hear you right..a BCS conference. I did want this to happen while I'm still alive.

Wow, lets see what the chances of a poorly ranked SBC school are of getting into any conference, let alone a BCS conference.

Tell me what the travel expense would be...please. But then tell me the projected increase in revenue that moving into a better conference would be.

In State rival....how would that be detrimental???? We dont have any rivals now, esp. not in state.

WAY worse...if the WAC lost its top 5 schools it would still be better than the SBC. The SBC is nothing but an entry level conference for teams who just got a football team or turned 1A.

Our per game average in '99 was 17,448.

NCAA Stats

Remember how we always talk about SMU inflating figures?

We were just as bad if not worse. Anyone have the famous picture of that NMSU game where the "official" attendance was like around 15K and about 1K were actually there?

Edited by CMJ