Time For A Change - Jj Can't Get It Done

Hell no he won't go! Hell no he won't go!

There are 13 games remaining. This is not football. Remember we are trying to work back in our best player. What is wrong with our team? They are playing one-on-one. Why? Everbody thinks KD will do it and we he doesn't they think they have to force something. Should the ULM coach be fired too? They just lost to THE WORST TEAM IN THE NATION. Even though I want to win every game the only thing that matters is the Belt tourney. If JJ fails again in the tourney we should seek a new coach, but wait can we afford to buy out 2 coaches in the same year?

I don't think that anyone is calling for JJs head in the middle of the season. You say that the only thing that matters is the Belt Tourney , true and 1-5 is not cutting it.

SBC wins ARE important. If not we will be a low seed and have to face a stronger opponent in a opening round SBC tourney game. Anyone out there feel comfortable about a 1st rd victory at this point ???

Edited by NT03

I don't think that anyone is calling for JJs head in the middle of the season. You say that the only thing that matter is the Belt Tourney , true and 1-5 is not cutting it.

SBC wins ARE important. If not we will be a low seed and have to face a stronger opponent in a opening round SBC tourney game. Anyone out there feel comfortable about a 1st rd victory at this point ???

After the WKU win I thought we would make the finals. With these 2 horrible losses where we didn't even try to come out and play (with the exception of KD) I don't think we could beat Belhaven again.

After the WKU win I thought we would make the finals. With these 2 horrible losses where we didn't even try to come out and play (with the exception of KD) I don't think we could beat Belhaven again.

Ditto. The WKU road win may of actually been a bad thing. This team may of gotten the BIG head and thought that the rest of the SBC would just lay down for them. I hope more than anything this little roadtrip was a wake up call.

You do realize we just lost by 24 to a team that is under .500 and by double digits to another team that s under .500? There is a lot to be concerned about and if things don't turn around getting rid of jones should be strongly considered...look at the past few seasons...IT IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!!

Like I said this isn't football. A few losses in basketball doesn't mean anything.

If you are not going to call for a coaches head now, then don't talk about it until you do. Nothing is more pointless then talking about should we fire a coach. When we win or loose there are a few guys on this board that want to talk about the GAME. But everybody else comes out only when we loose to talk about how much JJ sucks and how they knew we will loose.

See ya'll at the game! Im done with coach talk.

We got ULL coming up on thursday. That should be an easy win but with the way we are playing we will need a big crowd to show up to help our team.

Some of us have been following the program for years, and are tired of losing and seeing the same patterns over and over again. Maybe he turns it around and wins it all in the SBC and gets our first NCAA bid since Reagan was president. Personally I'd sooner put money on the Rangers winning the World Series this year.

And before you come back with your broken logic, this isn't me sitting here hoping that NT loses the rest of the games on the schedule. This is me being upset with our lack of progress as a program.

Edited by ColoradoEagle

Like I said this isn't football. A few losses in basketball doesn't mean anything.

If you are not going to call for a coaches head now, then don't talk about it until you do. Nothing is more pointless then talking about should we fire a coach. When we win or loose there are a few guys on this board that want to talk about the GAME. But everybody else comes out only when we loose to talk about how much JJ sucks and how they knew we will loose.

We got ULL coming up on thursday. That should be an easy win but with the way we are playing we will need a big crowd to show up to help our team.

Lets not talk about a coach change, lets talk about the games. What have you seen in the last five games that give you any hope for a big finish for NT? NT let two NAIA teams score a lot of points and make a game out of it until the absolute disparity in talent and depth gave NT comfortable wins in the second half. NT beat a woeful Denver team at home. Then NT completely was outclassed by two very mediocre Arkansas teams. The strong front-court I though was developing was manhandled by both ASU and ALSU. The back-court that has been the strength of team with the return of Davis has actually gotten much worse. Davis has been doing fine but the others have all regressed. Stewart has disappeared and Howerton is not ready for expanded minutes. JJ has resorted to the strangest player rotation I have seen. The team is playing a bad brand of street ball with no defense and who ever gets it first shoot offense.

This team looks totally out of rhythm and is displaying no confidence at all. Now what are your thoughts about NT current play?

Count me in with the growing number of alums who thinks that it will be time for a change (at season's end) if this team doesn't advance to the conference championship. I disagree with most who feel that JJ has been an outstanding recruiter. If you leave our D1 transfers from other programs out of the mix, his recruiting has been bad. Anyway, there is still adequate talent to not get blown out by any of these current Sunbelt schools. We are missing a golden opportunity becuase there are no dominate belt teams as in the past.

What's sad is that I have always pointed to the 07-08 season as THE potential breakout year. (where we would finally have a nice number of transfers together; coupled with another 2-3 ships to play with. With what I have seen thus far, I'm not sure anymore.

Last - First - H - P - Year Recruited - School - Hometown - Coach

Bell , Ben - 6'3 - PG - 2006-2007 - San Jacinto JC (MacArthur HS) , Irving, TX - Johnny Jones

Jackson , Johnathan - 6'8 - F - 2006-2007 - Mineral Area (Jefferson HS) , Portland, OR - Johnny Jones

Mangrum , Collin - 6'4 - BG - 2006-2007 - Howe HS , Howe, TX - Johnny Jones

Muse , Curtis - 6'10 - C - 2006-2007 - Mineral Area JC (Vashon HS) , St. Louis, MO - Johnny Jones

Wooden , Keith - 6'9 - F - 2006-2007 - Arizona St , Lawrence, KA - Johnny Jones

Brown , Lionel - 5'11 - G - 2005-2006 - Eastern Ok St College , Ardmore, OK - Johnny Jones

Edwards , Harold - 6'4 - SF - 2005-2006 - Leflure HS , Mobile, AL - Johnny Jones

Howerton , Justin - 6'10 - C - 2005-2006 - Howe HS , Howe, TX - Johnny Jones

Stewart , Harold - 6'7 - F - 2005-2006 - Crowley HS , Ft. Worth, TX - Johnny Jones

Young , Rich - 6'5 - F - 2005-2006 - Eastern Ok St College , Farrell, PA - Johnny Jones

Davis , Kendrick - 6'4 - BG - 2004-2005 - Univ. of Arkansas , Houston - Johnny Jones

Ray , Coby - 6'1 - PG - 2004-2005 - , Plano - Johnny Jones

Ruffin , Jared - 6'0 - PG - 2004-2005 - Creighton Prep , Omaha, NE - Johnny Jones

Sturns , Michael - 6'4 - G - 2004-2005 - North Crowley HS , Crowley, TX - Johnny Jones

Williams , Quincy - 6'7 - PF - 2004-2005 - Carl Albert HS , Midwest City, OK - Johnny Jones

Johnson , Shawnson - 6'9 - C - 2003-2004 - LSU Transfer , Shreveport, LA - Johnny Jones

Jones , Michael - 6'7 - F - 2003-2004 - McLennan JC , Lancaster, TX - Johnny Jones

Mitchell , Marquis - 6'0 - G - 2003-2004 - State Fair CC , Baton Rouge, LA - Johnny Jones

Watkins , Calvin - 6'5 - G - 2003-2004 - Madison HS , Houston, TX - Johnny Jones

Wilson , Mark - 6'3 - G - 2003-2004 - Highland CC , Chicago, TX - Johnny Jones

Byrd , Sam - 6'10 - C - 2002-2003 - Hastings HS , Alief, TX - Johnny Jones

DeGrate , Michael - 6'8 - F - 2002-2003 - McLennan JC , McGregor, TX - Johnny Jones

Harris , Ron - 6'7 - F - 2002-2003 - Oakridge HS , Arlington, TX - Johnny Jones

Roniger , Scott - 6'2 - G - 2002-2003 - Rummel HS , Metarie, LA - Johnny Jones

Thomas , Ty - 6'6 - F - 2002-2003 - Sam Houston HS , Arlington, TX - Johnny Jones

Green , Jermaine - 6'7 - F - 2001-2002 - , - Johhny Jones

Green , Lee - 6'3 - G - 2001-2002 - , Hagerstown, MD - Johhny Jones

Lets not talk about a coach change, lets talk about the games. What have you seen in the last five games that give you any hope for a big finish for NT? NT let two NAIA teams score a lot of points and make a game out of it until the absolute disparity in talent and depth gave NT comfortable wins in the second half. NT beat a woeful Denver team at home. Then NT completely was outclassed by two very mediocre Arkansas teams. The strong front-court I though was developing was manhandled by both ASU and ALSU. The back-court that has been the strength of team with the return of Davis has actually gotten much worse. Davis has been doing fine but the others have all regressed. Stewart has disappeared and Howerton is not ready for expanded minutes. JJ has resorted to the strangest player rotation I have seen. The team is playing a bad brand of street ball with no defense and who ever gets it first shoot offense.

This team looks totally out of rhythm and is displaying no confidence at all. Now what are your thoughts about NT current play?

I haven't seen anything since the second half of Texas State game. Vs. the NAIA teams JJ was trying things to see if they would work, and they didn't. After the Rice and Tulsa wins I thought this would be the year but ever since then we have yet to play a complete game and all this year we have not played a dominant game. All this year I have been saying that we dont't have that killer instinct. 6-1, 9-0, 5-2, 5-3, 5-1, 2-4, 4-2, 3-5, 5-1, 4-1, 7-2, 6-2. Those are home records of Sunbelt teams. Look good to me. The only 2 teams with losing records are Denver and the MUTs.

I haven't seen anything since the second half of Texas State game. Vs. the NAIA teams JJ was trying things to see if they would work, and they didn't. After the Rice and Tulsa wins I thought this would be the year but ever since then we have yet to play a complete game and all this year we have not played a dominant game. All this year I have been saying that we dont't have that killer instinct. 6-1, 9-0, 5-2, 5-3, 5-1, 2-4, 4-2, 3-5, 5-1, 4-1, 7-2, 6-2. Those are home records of Sunbelt teams. Look good to me. The only 2 teams with losing records are Denver and the MUTs.

Way to take a stat and play it to your favor. Home records are nice, now what about overall records of those same teams? The two teams we played this past week both had sub .500 records prior to playing us. What about teams we've beaten with overall winning records?

It really feels like the OOC schedule we played did not help prepare us for conference play, and it is starting to show. I'll stick with the team through the remainder of the season, but this year is looking much like past seasons we've played.

6-1, 9-0, 5-2, 5-3, 5-1, 2-4, 4-2, 3-5, 5-1, 4-1, 7-2, 6-2. Those are home records of Sunbelt teams. Look good to me. The only 2 teams with losing records are Denver and the MUTs.

I thought that was the size of the starting lineup for the MUTS...

I was way off

Back to your regularly schedule Mid Season Bitch Fest....

Sorry, but when you get CRUSHED by teams under .500, there is NO easy win. "A few losses in basketball doesn't mean anything" is wrong. Look at how JJ losses control of his teams. These last two losses were horrible. Most that have been associated with UNT basketball for 20+ years can clearly see that JJ is not getting it done, and if you are not getting it done in your 6th season, chances are very good, you won't ever get it done. Nice guy, but if you are not winning games, then you need to not be coaching.

Dallas is far more dangerous then Fort Worth. Crime statistics prove it.

Agree. I would walk through Ft. Worth any night over Dallas.

Sorry, but when you get CRUSHED by teams under .500, there is NO easy win. "A few losses in basketball doesn't mean anything" is wrong. Look at how JJ losses control of his teams. These last two losses were horrible. Most that have been associated with UNT basketball for 20+ years can clearly see that JJ is not getting it done, and if you are not getting it done in your 6th season, chances are very good, you won't ever get it done. Nice guy, but if you are not winning games, then you need to not be coaching.

Well, when you consider the source and how much he knows about basketball you just gotta learn not to pay attention

Way to take a stat and play it to your favor. Home records are nice, now what about overall records of those same teams? The two teams we played this past week both had sub .500 records prior to playing us. What about teams we've beaten with overall winning records?

It really feels like the OOC schedule we played did not help prepare us for conference play, and it is starting to show. I'll stick with the team through the remainder of the season, but this year is looking much like past seasons we've played.

I didn't spin anything into my favor. Showing that almost all the Belt teams having wining records at how shows that no one is going to walk into thier house and win.

Last time I checked 11-5 is winning games! If we tank then at the end of the season look back and see if he needs to be fired.

I'm not giving up on the season yet. True, our track record in JJ's tenure leads one to believe this is the start of a collapse, but we are still 11-5. If we right the ship at home, this can still be salvaged. We're starting to sound like Cubs fans who's own negative karma brings down the team first sign of trouble.

Win Thursday...that's all that matters right now.

Edited by CMJ