Helmet With Interlocked Nt

Smitty

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see it with a white face mask or a grey face mask.

FFR asked to see what a helmet would look like with a clean interlocked NT (similar to the NT Exes logo but without the star). Here's a couple of versions on a kelly green helmet:

Helmet-NT1.pngHelmet-NT2.png

Reminds me a bit of OU, Nebraska, and A&M, especially the one without the outlines. The size can be adjusted, but it gives you a very basic idea how it would look.

If anyone wants this turned into an avatar, let me know and I'll add it.

How about this??????

This one BY FAR is the best. It has OUR font and is clearly "N" "T"!!!! Hey SMitty, can you use that NT and put it on the helmets you have been making? Yours are the cleanest and easiest to see. Thanks!

I dunno. :blink:

Helmet-NTnewfont.jpg

I think that could look very good if Smitty would redo the lettering. My simple artistic abilities can only go so far. The NT would need to be bigger, and the whole logo a bit cleaner. Smitty is capable of this - and I would love to see him try.

We had this debate already--- interlocked NT:

1. Looks like the logos of SO many different schools. Yes, they're being used because they're classic, but that doesn't mean they're worth copying. Just because a "big" school locks their letters doesn't mean we need to and it definitely doesn't mean we'll be a big school or be identified as one just by using that style mark. I remember designing a helmet with Virgina Tech-style letters. Yeah, it looked really cool, but I wasn't ever 100% behind them because they are based on what Virginia Tech has.

2. Thankfully, this version doesn't read "TN". It does, however, look terribly old fashioned. Those school's block letters are being used because they've been used for decades. We've just gotten new logos, I'd rather just stick with them now.

Use the North Texas + Eagle mark for a few years so the public recognizes that eagle as the North Texas eagle...then after that, switch to just the eagle. I don't like the font for the school now, but I do like the eagle marks. I'd rather make the best of them.

Edited by meangreendork

36118365871.jpg

It's... Baylor, Auburn, Boston College, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Houston, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Marquette, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Ok. State, Oregon, Southern Alabama, USC, Southern, Syracuse, Texas Tech, Virgina Tech, and West Virginia

So if we just change our logo to the interlocked NT, we'd be an elite school like those.

Edited by ColoradoEagle

36118365871.jpg

It's... Baylor, Auburn, Boston College, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Houston, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Marquette, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Ok. State, Oregon, Southern Alabama, USC, Southern, Syracuse, Texas Tech, Virgina Tech, and West Virginia

So if we just change our logo to the interlocked NT, we'd be an elite school like those.

Good research, ColoradoEagle...

Shouldn't we all really be more concerned that our leaders find a Big Donor who will help us get jump-started on our eventual new stadium sooner than later than how we decide to connect 2 letters in a way that will satisfy a simple majority? :)

BUT WHILE ON THIS RATHER NEW SUBJECT :blink: The above 2 letter combos of all the other schools who we would (yes, I'm afraid) be copying and those that have some semblance of separation or where a letter is slightly to the left of another would (IMHO) still be less confusing to those we really want to know who we are, right? :unsure: But.................we could obviously go on with all this until the next milleneum sneaks up on our school and then we later find out that our leaders have changed our school's name for a 9'th time! :o:blink::)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Answers to some questions posed on this thread:

Why did I put the old "NT" on a helmet? Because FFR asked me to. He wanted to see what the NT from the NT Exes logo (without the star) would look like on the helmet I created. He was just curious to see it, and I thought everyone else would like to see it as well. So I built an NT in the old logo from scratch and put it on. I was curious, too.

What is the new NT font? I don't know. It was created by or for UNT and I've never seen it any place where it can be downloaded. I suspect it does exist in a font and not just as individual images, but I don't have it or anything like it.

How do I make some of my attachments so big? I save them in the size I want to display them on this board or on Mean Green Graphics. I create most images in Photoshop at 300 dpi (in case I want to print them) and in a large size. The I can save them for specific purposes at a specific smaller size. It's always easy to reduce an image without loss of resolution, but you can't enlarge easily without loss of resolution.

We're all just playing here. If we hit upon an idea that's worth something, maybe someone in authority will take it and run.

As far as I know, there is no official interlocked NT. Zeke created one using the N and the T from the the official "NORTH TEXAS," and I think it works really well. Give me a bit and I'll put it on the helmet in a larger size and post it on this thread. But I may have to go to Jake's for dinner first. It's not that I want to go to a good hamburger joint with live music and really really cute waitresses - it's just something that I have to do.

Reminds me a bit of OU, Nebraska, and A&M,

That's what I was shooting for. This logo is an OFFICIAL school logo with regards to our alumni association, which is directly involved with the university. Even though it was not part of the NEW logos that came out in April of '05, it was actually assigned licensing by CLC back in '02 or '03. It's an official, licensed logo. A version of it is the current logo that is used on our letterman's jackets, and is by far the best, collegiate logo out there.

Our club baseball team has had this logo(with permission from the exes) on their baseball caps for the past 3 years. Last year the captain of the team told me that had he had a dollar for every time someone on or off campus asked him where they too could get one like it he would have had his room and board paid for by now. He said it has been an extremely popular design and had NO CLUE why the university, outside of hte exes, wasn't using it. Now as of this past summer, it is by the athletic department.

Thank you Smitty. Great job.

Rick

I still don't see any one logo design getting that "ah ha" response from the majority on this board. No, not all on this board will ever be on the same page with whatever (hopeful) "new era/new logo" our leaders may need to go back to the drawing boards to come up with.

I do hope new Mean Green head football coach Todd Dodge will have some say in all this since that has been the trend at other NCAA D1 outposts to allow their HFC's to make creative recommendations; after all, he and his upcoming new staff will be out on the recruiting trails the next few weeks and years trying to explain to parents down in Clute, Texas (near Freeport, Alvin, Angleton, etc, etc,) what all this UNT business is all about because trust me, way too many folks down on our Golden Gulf Coast of Texas don't have a clue as to even what city UNT is located. Hellbells, as a high schooler down in the Houston area back in the day, I thought NT was located in Denison, Texas, of all places! :innocent:

In fact, whatever Coach Dodge would possibly have a say in on all this logo business would I bet unify most of us on this forum of which I see now has 2,500 registered members last time I checked the other day. Congrats to Harry and his GMG.com staff! :)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Helmet with Zeke's interlocking NT:

Helmet-interlock.png

Nice, Zeke and Smitty....

Wonder what this would look like on a pearl white helmet w/o the silver hardware on part of the letter? :rolleyes: This is close to being the kind of "inter-locking" anything I would feel very good with; right along with the "N T" that VaTech somehow stole that idea from us before we even had a chance to debut it on our own helmets years ago. :blink::)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Wonder what this would look like on a pearl white helmet w/o the silver hardware on part of the letter?

I bet it would look awesome, Jim.

It's funny, but for some of the complaining I've heard from UNT fans (and non-UNT fans) that there's 'no tradition' at UNT...the traditions are right in front of your eyes, in photos, linked graphics, and excerpts from publications posted on this site many times. Particularly concerning the uniforms/helmets.

For the record, I don't care if UNT keeps the current logos or not. They're fine and all, and if that's what the majority wants, cool--but some of the older stuff would be great if it was perhaps updated a bit, and brought back. The interlocked NT screams tradition. But whatever. :lol:

It's funny, but for some of the complaining I've heard from UNT fans (and non-UNT fans) that there's 'no tradition' at UNT...the traditions are right in front of your eyes, in photos, linked graphics, and excerpts from publications posted on this site many times. Particularly concerning the uniforms/helmets.

For the record, I don't care if UNT keeps the current logos or not. They're fine and all, and if that's what the majority wants, cool--but some of the older stuff would be great if it was perhaps updated a bit, and brought back.

w03fb3.gifDivingEagle_Outline_Reg_355.gif

Interlocked NT of any type - GOOD/GREAT.

Eagle of any type: throwing up in my mouth and pissed off.

We are the MEAN GREEN. We are NORTH TEXAS. We are NOT the Eagles. We have a mascot that is an Eagle but our teams are not CALLED the EAGLES, haven't been for sometime now. That was officially changed and is NOT changing back. To put an Eagle on the helmet would simply confuse our apathetic fan base... case in point, all of the new members posting on this board that THINK that we are the Eagles, well folks - WE AREN'T. That team name came and went and our OFFICIAL NAME is now the Mean Green for all 17 Div IA sports at North Texas. The last team to be called the Eagles was the women's basketball team - they were given the choice, when the name changed OFFICIALLY to Mean Green to stay the Lady Eagles and they decided to keep the Eagles on their jerseys. Since there are 117 other Eagles of some type in college athletics (all the way from NAIA up to DIV I, IAA, II, or III) - the last hold out decided to join the other 16 sports in 2003 and become the Mean Green as well. At that point, they tossed around the name "Lady Green" but the girls voted and wanted to be "Mean" just like the guys.

If you ask any player - they LOVE the uniqueness of the Mean Green name over the generic Eagle name. There was a poll done a couple of years ago on the most common nickname in the athletic world and Eagle came out on top by far - statistically speaking, within every metroplitan area, there are at least 3-4 schools with the nickname of Eagles for their team. In fact, in Dallas alone - someone posted all of the Eagles that we had a couple of years ago and there were like 27 schools in a 100 mile radius that were using that nickname. It is GENERIC and NOT UNIQUE.

Mean Green is unique and something that ONLY North Texas can call its own. Since we cannot put a Mean Green into a logo form (at least not successfully yet) - other than just using a blank green helmet, we should go with the name that all alumni - despite their graduation date - have called their alma-mater. It doesn't matter if they went to North Texas Teacher's College, North Texas State College, North Texas State University, or the University of North Texas - all alumni and students have been able to identify with one common name - NORTH TEXAS. Put it on the helmet, in script - or interlocked initials - and MOVE ON! If the President and his branding baffoons continue to force the block lettering on us, screw it - I think we should just keep it. The worst possible thing for our identity would be to stick an Eagle on the helmet or spell our UNT.

No one wants to ditch 'Mean Green'. People just want a recognizable logo. There are at least 75 schools in those same divisions that use interlocking letters, and a huge amount more if you include schools that run all of their letters together left to right, or have a letter in the background with text on top of it. The new eagle is drawn well and is an updated version of probably the school's most recognizable logo ever.