Snead considering visit to UNT !

MeanGreen61

Are you always this negative?  He hasn't even visited the campus yet and you're already saying we missed out on him.

Amen! I don't understand any of the negativity towards this kid.

I've read nothing that says Snead doesn't work hard. But he's accused of not working hard because he decided he didn't want to be a four-year backup? UT has chosen Colt McCoy, and a career backup is what Snead was staring at. Even when McCoy was not completely healthy before the A&M game, UT went with him over Snead. I would have moved, too.

And what chance have we missed? None! He's coming for a visit! If we had missed out on him, why would he waste his time by coming here? I give Coach Dodge a fighting chance to recruit this kid, who would know that the starting job is almost certainly his after he sits for a year.

I've read that his shot at the NFL is better at UT. Well, being a starter at UNT is better than sitting the bench in Austin. You think a kid can't get to the NFL from here? Brad Kassell, Cody Spencer, Brian Waters, Adrian Awasom, and Patrick Cobbs can tell you differently. And you think NFL QBs only come from the mega-conferences? Ask Tony Romo if Eastern Illinois was a bastion of big-time football.

It is time to shake off the pessimism of the past few years.

Will Snead come to UNT? I don't know. But I guarantee he won't come if we don't ask him. And he is definitely worth asking.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe anyone wouldn't want Snead or say we don't need him. That's just crazy. The kid committed to Florida before Tim Tebow signed, then barely lost out to a kid that was getting Heisman consideration before his injuries. He would be the biggest recruit to hit our campus since Mean Joe and give us instant national attention and credibility. Not to mention make us a much better football team.

Edited by SouthBendGreen

Harry and I went to watch the Highland/Stephenville game a year and a half or so ago. The whole game was a quarterback duel between him and now Georgia starting QB Matt Stafford. They both were slinging the ball all over the field and putting up huge numbers. To be truthful, it looked like a high school version of Montana v. Elway.

I have one really vivid memory of Snead’s play. About 25 yards out, on a 3rd and 11, Snead took the snap and half rolled out to his right. Two defensive linemen broke free, and Snead froze one with a jab step to his left, then ran away from the second to his right. The defensive end had the angle on him, though, and made contact. Then, falling down, with a defensive lineman around his waist, Snead fired a 25 yard frozen rope between two defenders to hit a receiver in the numbers in back of the end zone. It was one of the most shocking displays of pure brilliant quarterback play I’ve seen in a while. And, from what I’ve heard, he made a habit of it in high school.

If we get this guy, you’ll be absolutely shocked to see good he is. Mark that down.

I can't believe anyone wouldn't want Snead or say we don't need him.  That's just crazy.  The kid committed to Florida before Tim Tebow signed, then barely lost out to a kid that was getting Heisman consideration before his injuries.  He would be the biggest recruit to hit our campus since Mean Joe and give us instant national attention and credibility.  Not to mention make us a much better football team.

Complete agreement.

A quarterback like that for three years in Dodge's system? Oh yes.

Not quite sure why FFR feels that way.  Getting a Snead to transfer to UNT would be a coup over the other D1 schools in Texas, and serve notice to HS recruits that UNT is a serious D1 program, and that they should come play here.  Would help legitimize TD's hire in the minds of many.  Couldn't do anything but help the program.

It's bad timing, but if I'm RV or TD, I'm making phone calls with a red carpet ready to be rolled out.

I'll tell you why. I question his heart. I'll take a bad mother #@$%er with an attitude that he can't stomach losing(Scott Hall) comes to mind, and that includes the starting job, but might have less talent over someone who has all the talent in the world but wants it handed to them. The Snead situation just smells like the Bomar deal where they are shopping around and trying to find out who's going to START them the most?

When the game comes down to the dirt-digging, stomach grinding painful end in the fourth qaurter and you have half of the physical strength you started with, and you have been hit 25 times to the point your smelling amonia with each inhalation, then where's your heart for the remainder of the game? If you earned that position, along with your O line and other teammates and your all beating from the same heart, you will not lose.

From what I have read, and I could be wrong, but he seems to give up easily. Right now Texas is having to have a WALK ON run the reps in practice to prepare for their bowl game. They could use Snead RIGHT NOW. McCoy has now had two concerning injuries. Unless I'm just completely missing what is being printed I can't see how it is that Snead didn't see the opportunities in the future to FIGHT for the starting job? Maybe MB told him to and that is why he's transferring. But I have a hard time believing that considering the how highly he was recruited?

If he's the guy, and he wants to be here I'd be thrilled to have such a talent here but I want him to have to earn the spot, even if just a little bit. Does that make any sense?

Rick

If he's the guy, and he wants to be here I'd be thrilled to have such a talent here but I want him to have to earn the spot, even if just a little bit.  Does that make any sense?

Yes. No question he should have to earn the position wherever he goes. I agree that the timing of the transfer was bad, as well.

I think though, that were he to transfer to UNT, it would be another push to an already-rolling snowball that the program and Dodge could really use, credibility-wise.

Personally, I think the steps to keep McCoy in the lineup regardless of injury is still a result of Mack being snakebit by the Simms/Applewhite fiasco.

I think Mack was committing to one come hell or high water and Snead saw the writing on the wall. I won't knock him for his choice either - all he is sacrificing is possibly the Alamo Bowl to support his star for the long term. The only thing Texas needs is the chance to practice for next season - not a win over Iowa.

The Snead situation just smells like the Bomar deal where they are shopping around and trying to find out who's going to START them the most?

Unless I'm just completely missing what is being printed I can't see how it is that Snead didn't see the opportunities in the future to FIGHT for the starting job?  Maybe MB told him to and that is why he's transferring.  But I have a hard time believing that considering the how highly he was recruited? 

I don't understand the comparison between Snead and Bomar. I have the same misgivings as you about Bomar - substantiated accounts of his behavior suggest there is something not right about that young man.

But have you read anything concrete about Snead being a slacker? From what I've read, Snead was working with the first team after the K-State game, then was told UT would start McCoy against the Aggies, despite the fact that McCoy was not 100 percent. That would tell me that UT had committed to McCoy.

If he's the guy, and he wants to be here I'd be thrilled to have such a talent here but I want him to have to earn the spot, even if just a little bit.  Does that make any sense?

Yes, it does. If Snead comes here, he will have to sit for a year while someone else puts in a claim for the starting job. Then Snead will have to earn the job in 2008.

All I'm saying is we should not judge a kid from two hundred miles away when there's little to substantiate those judgments.

Snead wants to play, and isn't satisfied with being No. 2 at a No. 1 school. To me, that's a mark in his favor.

Another recruit, another missed opportunity.....Let's hope he can play for us......

Yeah I know Snead would be a great catch for us, but to automatically write off any possibility? You're a really, really negative person. For your name being "playmaker" we'd think you'd chomp at the bit to see something great like this happening, not pout about how you think it won't happen.

I swear man, there are very few posts of yours where I don't ask myself, "does he huff paint?"

I'd want him here. I want him to compete for the #1 spot against our current QBs (maybe turn them into WRs or DBs). If he wants to come here, great. If he wants to play here, even better. The facilties aside from Fouts are great, the coach is right, and the fanbase is waiting- begging for a reason to rise up.

Man, Dodge's power is being shown, and he's not even in office yet huh.gif

However, I don't see him coming here, because Houston seems like the perfect fit, his old coach is there, same offense, it seems like he'll go there before here.

Just wanted to point out that Snead never played for Briles. I believe his family wasn't even living in Stephenville when Briles was still coaching there. Snead's head coach was Morris per the article.

Rick

Not trying to be a nay sayer but Snead appears to have committment issues. As soon as the going gets a bit tough, he seems to get going as in out the door. If he is a good and confident QB, why did he leave UT? We all know how quickly a starting QB can go down. He could wait for his chance then keep the job if he believes in himself. His actions hint that he is spoiled and wants everyone to bow at his feet and give him the job. Maybe I am jumping to inappropriate conclusions here but just being honest about my intuition.

Edited by football fan

Not trying to be a nay sayer but Snead appears to have committment issues.  As soon as the going gets a bit tough, he seems to get going as in out the door.  If he is a good and confident QB, why did he leave UT?  We all know how quickly a starting QB can go down.  He could wait for his chance then keep the job if he believes in himself.  His actions hint that he is spoiled and wants everyone to bow at his feet and give him the job.  Maybe I am jumping to inappropriate conclusions here but just being honest about my intuition.

See, I look at it just the opposite. I want a guy who WANTS to start. Had he just been content to sit behind Colt McCoy for four years, I'd have serious concerns about his desire and passion for the game.

Everyone knows that Texas has made their choice at quarterback. Best case is he redshirts next year and gets one year of starting time after McCoy graduates. I honestly don't blame the guy. Watching him play, you can tell he is a competitor. When the competition is over, I can see how he wouldn't be interested anymore.

Just my gut feeling, though.

See, I look at it just the opposite.  I want a guy who WANTS to start.  Had he just been content to sit behind Colt McCoy for four years, I'd have serious concerns about his desire and passion for the game.

Everyone knows that Texas has made their choice at quarterback.  Best case is he redshirts next year and gets one year of starting time after McCoy graduates.  I honestly don't blame the guy.  Watching him play, you can tell he is a competitor.  When the competition is over, I can see how he wouldn't be interested anymore.

Just my gut feeling, though.

Bingo. This is a guy who was one of the top recruits in the country. Visions of the NFL dancing in his head - the best player on every team he's been on... like illuvius said, if Snead just took his backup role without a fuss, and sat quietly on the bench behind Colt McCoy for four years, THAT'S worth questioning. It's really nice and "White Shadow" for us to say "get out there and earn it, kid, fight for that starting job!"... but that's just not how it always works. As Quoner said, Mack is the LAST coach who can afford to flip flop QBs, and after a hotly contested battle in the spring, the Horns obviously chose McCoy. After beating OU and starting so well for the first half of the year, everyone in the country could see that the good ol' small town Texan with the baby face and perfect name would be the heir apparent in Austin for four years, barring total meltdown or injury. Would it matter that Snead sure threw the ball well with the second team in practice?

He wants to PLAY. Why not find a system and situation that suits him best? Why not find a school that affords him the most playing time? He wants his a-- on the field, and he would instantly be the top QB in the Sun Belt and top 3 in Texas the second he walked on campus. No-freaking-brainer.

Bingo. This is a guy who was one of the top recruits in the country. Visions of the NFL dancing in his head - the best player on every team he's been on... like illuvius said, if Snead just took his backup role without a fuss, and sat quietly on the bench behind Colt McCoy for four years, THAT'S worth questioning. It's really nice and "White Shadow" for us to say "get out there and earn it, kid, fight for that starting job!"... but that's just not how it always works. As Quoner said, Mack is the LAST coach who can afford to flip flop QBs, and after a hotly contested battle in the spring, the Horns obviously chose McCoy. After beating OU and starting so well for the first half of the year, everyone in the country could see that the good ol' small town Texan with the baby face and perfect name would be the heir apparent in Austin for four years, barring total meltdown or injury. Would it matter that Snead sure threw the ball well with the second team in practice?

He wants to PLAY. Why not find a system and situation that suits him best? Why not find a school that affords him the most playing time? He wants his a-- on the field, and he would instantly be the top QB in the Sun Belt and top 3 in Texas the second he walked on campus. No-freaking-brainer.

I certainly hope your right.

Rick

I like this letter that was written to the Austin American-Statesman.

Jevan Snead tore them up in HS. He was a great recruit. The few times he actually played for Texas, he showed an arm like a rocket. He was a gutsy runner. He just never had enough PT and seasoning.

How can you criticize a young fella who simply wants to put his enormous talent on the field and live his dream?

Jevan Snead is a winner and will do well wherever he goes.

I just can't wait until Major Applewhite gets the OC job at UT!

Hook 'em, Jevan!

The reports that I heard for the summer camps that Dodge has held. Jevan particpated in 2 of those camps.

Jevan is a superior athlete with incredible arm strength.

Remember that he was asked and participated in the EA Sports Elite 11 camp. That is the top 11 QB's in the country going into their SR years.

This kid can play.

ohmy.gif