TCU Fans Discuss Dodge Hire

Harry

My response to:

QUOTE(general125 @ Dec 12 2006, 07:39 AM)

The only positive I can see for starting ones college career at UNT is like what Fran did at New Mexico State. The expectations are so low, if you win a couple of games you shouldn't and finish above .500, you are a genius.

Wow, the love from our neighbors is just about what I thought it would be once the hire was announced.

By the way Fran didn't coach at New Mexico State, he coached at New Mexico.

Crap, not only do we have to teach you your history but go and beat SMU for you too. 

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Wow, the love from our neighbers is just about what I thought it would be once the hire was announced.

By the way Fran didn't coach at New Mexico State, he coached at New Mexico.

Crap, not only do we have to teach you your history but go and beat SMU for you too. 

Rick

Couldn't have said it better myself. biggrin.gif

Funny how one claims that we don't support well and give the support we should, when they are ranked in the Top 15 and can't fill their stadium in Ft. Worth of all places.

Exactly. TCU's fan base wasn't even that large when they were in the SWC and had Arkansas, UT, A&M, Tech, etc... coming in, let alone now. Like I said before if you are not in the Big-12 you are going to be an afterthought in the DFW area or pretty much anywhere in Texas outside of El Paso. UTEP is the one non-bcs school in this state who is truly the big dog in their market and they even seem to have a good number of fans outside El Paso. Sometimes its better to be the top dog in a mid-size urban area that is more geographically isolated than to be in a huge metropolis where you have to compete with a lot of other entities for attention and money.

Funny how one claims that we don't support well and give the support we should, when they are ranked in the Top 15 and can't fill their stadium in Ft. Worth of all places.

dry.gif Real smart post, dude. Here's the facts:

TCU enrollment=6,500

NT enrollment=32,000

TCU attendance=30,000

NT attendance==15,650

Find some other stone to throw. That one doesn't go through Saran Wrap.

dry.gif Real smart post, dude. Here's the facts:

TCU enrollment=6,500

NT enrollment=32,000

TCU attendance=30,000

NT attendance==15,650

Find some other stone to throw. That one doesn't go through Saran Wrap.

His point still stands. Your fan base is still relatively small compared to that of schools in the big-12 or even compared to UTEP. Granted you still have a larger fan base then we do(or SMU, Rice, and UH for that matter) but I think our fan base would grow if we could get into CUSA whereas yours wasn't much larger when you were in the SWC so I think yours is about as large now as it is going to get.

And hell, while we are at it, tell me, do you think 30k would consistently show up to watch TCU play the likes of ULL, ULM, MTSU, Troy, FIU, FAU, etc, etc, etc?

Just curious.

No way, TCU struggled to get that many even when the SWC was at its peak and Arkansas was still there. TCU in the Sun Belt conference would see its fan base shrink by 50% at least whereas our fan base would grow by as much as 50% if we got into CUSA.

As both a TCU and UNT fan, I think this is a good hire. In all honesty, I thought most of the topics on kf.c were fairly complimentary.

I'm a little surprised that RV could pull it off and I wonder why, as one poster alluded to, that RV was not very well thought of at TCU when he worked there. I had heard some things, but don't think that this is the place to discuss them.

And for those that don't think that this is just a stepping stone for Dodge, well........

As both a TCU and UNT fan, I think this is a good hire.  In all honesty, I thought most of the topics on kf.c were fairly complimentary. 

I'm a little surprised that RV could pull it off and I wonder why, as one poster alluded to, that RV was not very well thought of at TCU when he worked there.  I had heard some things, but don't think that this is the place to discuss them.

And for those that don't think that this is just a stepping stone for Dodge, well........

It is definitely a stepping stone for him. What we have to hope for is that while he's here he elevates the program to the point that it is at least attractive enough to get us into CUSA and that when he does move up he at least leaves the program in better condition than he found it.

True but if Dodge succeeds then UNT succeeds. It will be that much easier for us to make the next hire. We're also getting tremendous publicity just from the hire itself which is also a huge plus for the school's image.

True but if Dodge succeeds then UNT succeeds.  It will be that much easier for us to make the next hire.  We're also getting tremendous publicity just from the hire itself which is also a huge plus for the school's image.

I agree....

---It will be very interesting to see the attendance number of the first few games next year.... Expect a few Southlake and area folks to show up as well for a few of them plus I think the student body will get curious and attend better..... Hope we can keep it going...

--My opinion is that he will recruit very well and that it may take until year 3 to get to where we would like to be. Don't expect miracles next year... but I think improvement will be shown next year and a lot more discipline from the players (a lot fewer stupid penalties). That can turn a lot of games around because they tend to demoralize a team.

No way, TCU struggled to get that many even when the SWC was at its peak and Arkansas was still there.  TCU in the Sun Belt conference would see its fan base shrink by 50% at least whereas our fan base would grow by as much as 50% if we got into CUSA.

dry.gif

Uh, irrelevant points, this one and the one before. Who gives a flip about the SWC in 2006, and TCU never was and never will be in the SBC, so why even bring that up? Someone threw out a theoretical comparison to UNT being in CUSA. Get up to speed: TCU is in the Mountain West, and most of those schools are further away from Fort Worth than Louisiana-directional U and the other deep-south contingent. You also threw out the "TCU doesn't draw" card, so stick to a relevant argument to defend your point.

Fact is, TCU grew its attendance base from around 20,000 to 30-plus in the 1990s with it's Committee of 100 Initiative, and the school's enrollment has grown no more than 2-5 percent since. Most of FW and Tarrant County have little or no rooting interest in a small private school (see Dallas County and SMU), yet TCU is the only Metroplex football program to actually win AND grow its fan base in the past decade. SMU (winning now) and UNT (winning not long ago) can't really say that.

I know it sucks to have fans of other schools attack your support base as insufficient, but find a better defense than trying to run down one of the best track records among non-BCS-ers, given the realistic pool it can draw from. I did a little fuzzy math on this not long ago, and based on the tired argument ("TCU should sell out every game"), Texas should be averaging something like 150,000 or 175,000 per game, if you take enrollment into account. It's ignorant: TCU averages nearly 5 times its enrollment, yet is run down constantly (and conveniently) for not selling out every game.

Try putting 44,000 in for a game against UNLV, Utah, Colorado State or Wyoming, and see how you do. Same problem, not enough local interest in those teams. Last time I checked, UNT couldn't draw jack for "home" games against Tech, A&M or Okla. State. The Frogs sold out every seat for Tech this year. Guessing Baylor can approach or match it next year with revenge on Bears' mind. UNT couldn't sell out AT FOUTS for SMU (25,000) or Baylor (close but about 2,000 short).

By the way, Dodge kicks A. Nice job on that deal. Now go out and sell some damn season tickets and quit casting lame-A aspersions.

Edited by flyeater

dry.gif

Uh, irrelevant points, this one and the one before. Who gives a flip about the SWC in 2006, and TCU never was and never will be in the SBC, so why even bring that up? Someone threw out a theoretical comparison to UNT being in CUSA. Get up to speed: TCU is in the Mountain West, and most of those schools are further away from Fort Worth than Louisiana-directional U and the other deep-south contingent. You also threw out the "TCU doesn't draw" card, so stick to a relevant argument to defend your point.

Fact is, TCU grew its attendance base from around 20,000 to 30-plus in the 1990s with it's Committee of 100 Initiative, and the school's enrollment has grown no more than 2-5 percent since. Most of FW and Tarrant County have little or no rooting interest in a small private school (see Dallas County and SMU), yet TCU is the only Metroplex football program to actually win AND grow its fan base in the past decade. SMU (winning now) and UNT (winning not long ago) can't really say that.

I know it sucks to have fans of other schools attack your support base as insufficient, but find a better defense than trying to run down one of the best track records among non-BCS-ers, given the realistic pool it can draw from. I did a little fuzzy math on this not long ago, and based on the tired argument ("TCU should sell out every game"), Texas should be averaging something like 150,000 or 175,000 per game, if you take enrollment into account. It's ignorant: TCU averages nearly 5 times its enrollment, yet is run down constantly (and conveniently) for not selling out every game.

Try putting 44,000 in for a game against UNLV, Utah, Colorado State or Wyoming, and see how you do. Same problem, not enough local interest in those teams. Last time I checked, UNT couldn't draw jack for "home" games against Tech, A&M or Okla. State. The Frogs sold out every seat for Tech this year. Guessing Baylor can approach or match it next year with revenge on Bears' mind. UNT couldn't sell out AT FOUTS for SMU (25,000) or Baylor (close but about 2,000 short).

By the way, Dodge kicks A. Nice job on that deal. Now go out and sell some damn season tickets and quit casting lame-A aspersions.

The closest that North Texas ever came to living up to it's "attendance potential" relative to it's student population and NCAA status was in the late 80's when we were 1-AA. Our student population was approaching 19K or 20K, and we had our first sell-out against SFA! We followed that up in 1990 with a SRO game (22,750) against SMU at Fouts. In both cases, Fouts was at it's original capacity of 20,500.

What was going on at that time was a great and entertaining football team to watch, and great promotions. We also had a coach that NEVER dissed the administration or the fans, and never moaned and complained about his situation at North Texas.

Through the (corridor of) years, our worst enemy regarding our football program has been our visionless, and I might add clueless, administrators who made the decisions about hiring the coaches and (not) promoting the sport.