This the defining decision of RV's career

MeanGreenZen

The Johnny Jones hire has not been a rousing success or an utter failure. The softball coaching hire was botched. If RV makes the right call on the new football coach he may be able to finally get one of those AD positions at another school he keeps applying for. If he makes the wrong call, he'll be back to delivering pizzas. This choice will most likely define his legacy here. Good luck RV!!! We're all pulling for you.

The Johnny Jones hire has not been a rousing success or an utter failure. The softball coaching hire was botched. If RV makes the right call on the new football coach he may be able to finally get one of those AD positions at another school he keeps applying for. If he makes the wrong call, he'll be back to delivering pizzas. This choice will most likely define his legacy here. Good luck RV!!! We're all pulling for you.

Ill pull for him unless he goes with a USM buddy

As for JJ , The guy can recruit , but I think he has to have a winning season or RV might go on a firing spree laugh.gif As for the softball team , Honestly I have never seen a game , but would think it would take a few years to right the ship since we started from scraps. And for the pizzzas... bring one this way im hungry!

I still don't know why everyone is so down on RV hiring a successful person he knows. Why should it matter if he knows them if they are successful?

Its just the fact that most don't know anything really about anyone from Southern Miss. ( I think ) I feel most people want someone they have atleast heard of before. That doesn't mean that anyone one of his buddies can't be successful, but I doubt the people will be very patient with a name they know nothing about. Ill stand by RV no matter what but I think if one of his buddies starts out with say 2 losing seasons....which would be 4 straight , then people will start calling for RV and his buddy to go.

Ill stand by RV no matter what but I think if one of his buddies starts out with say 2 losing seasons....which would be 4 straight , then people will start calling for RV and his buddy to go.

Unless you simply get lucky, most head football coaches at the D1 level take a minimum of two years to have a winning record. That is, they don't have a winning record until their 3rd year!

I don't have a problem with him hiring a successful person he knows. I just worry about hiring someone without Texas ties.

An anonymous assistant from the other side of the country (Nix) is not something that will catch a lot of attention immediately like hiring a big name like Neuheisel (sp?), local hero Todd Dodge or a guy with a name every high school coach in the state knows like Sonny Dykes.

Nix is not a "sexy" hire, but that doesn't mean he isn't the right hire. I do like that he is African-American. I think that could bring some positive attention and help in recruiting.

I don't have a problem with him hiring a successful person he knows. I just worry about hiring someone without Texas ties.

An anonymous assistant from the other side of the country (Nix) is not something that will catch a lot of attention immediately like hiring a big name like Neuheisel (sp?), local hero Todd Dodge or a guy with a name every high school coach in the state knows like Sonny Dykes.

Nix is not a "sexy" hire, but that doesn't mean he isn't the right hire. I do like that he is African-American. I think that could bring some positive attention and help in recruiting.

i could care less that the dude is black, that doesn't make him any better or any worse. if he can coach and recruit, then bring his butt in! i would like to have someone that i have heard of, but understand that we may not be able to lure a name coach here. RV will do the job right! i have confidence in the man!

You just had to bring up the race card didnt ya ??? Just kidding laugh.gif

i could care less that the dude is black, that doesn't make him any better or any worse.  if he can coach and recruit, then bring his butt in! 

I don't "care" that he is black either. But an African-American recruit might and that would be to his advantage.

You can't tell me that's not an issue: remember when Kellen Winslow and his son had a huge falling out because Kellen Sr. wanted Kellen Jr. to go to Michigan State and play for a black head coach but Kellen Jr wanted to go to Miami instead. That issue matters to some people. Maybe it shouldn't, but it does.

I do like that he is African-American. I think that could bring some positive attention and help in recruiting.

What the EFFF does race have to do with anything??? Last time I checked, Matt Simon wasnt exactly white, and what attention did we get and how did that help in recruiting.

Can someone please take all of the race cards out of the deck? I mean, hell, I dont use the short card when things don't go my way.

Oh, and what race is RF and where was all that attention and recruiting?

Just hire the best PERSON, not a black, white, brown, or yellow coach.

Edited by Rudy

Ill pull for him unless he goes with a USM buddy

As for JJ , The guy can recruit , but I think he has to have a winning season or RV might go on a firing spree :lol:  As for the softball team , Honestly I have never seen a game , but would think it would take a few years to right the ship since we started from scraps. And for the pizzzas... bring one this way im hungry!

Rick was hired at North Texas in April and the basketball coach had just been released by the University President (Pohl) and several players had left. Since, as SUE pointed out, the position must be open for a month before it's filled, Rick had to work fast to get a basketball coach in place before the summer signing period. Rick picked Johnny Jones whom he had seen be successful leading the team at Memphis and successful as an assistant at Alabama and LSU. Jones may not have been the best hire in the world, but he has been pretty good. He quickly resurected a depleted, horrendously bad team to being average. I'm not content with 'average', but it's a hell of a lot better than where we were with Trilli. Believe it or not, this will be Johnny's first season playing only his own recruits on the court, and several of the newer players were quite highly recruited.

This season will be the year to determine if a Johnny Jones team can be better than just average.

I don't "care" that he is black either. But an African-American recruit might and that would be to his advantage.

You can't tell me that's not an issue: remember when Kellen Winslow and his son had a huge falling out because Kellen Sr. wanted Kellen Jr. to go to Michigan State and play for a black head coach but Kellen Jr wanted to go to Miami instead. That issue matters to some people. Maybe it shouldn't, but it does.

It did not help when we had Matt Simon. Back then I knew some of the kids playing and they ALL told me, both black and white, that winning mattered more than the race of the coach!

Oh by the way, Matt Simon did use the race deal when recruiting. He had some good wins at UNT, too.

I'm not looking to pick a fight about this issue. But it would be to our advantage to be (again) one of the few D-1A schools with an African-american head coach. It is another way we can differentiate ourselves.

Oh I hope you aren't saying that they had good wins because he was black. And before I go any further, I will check again, but Im pretty sure this Nix fellow wasnt born in Africa, therefore he would not be African-American. Anyways, how would it benefit us to have a head coach just because he is black??? So, if we had 2 candidates to choose from, one white and one black, and the white coach was more qualified, why should we pick the black coach? How would that benefit the program? You say it brings attention and such. To be honest, I had forgotten about the Miss ST coach being black until it was just pointed out. True, it MIGHT cause a little local buzz at first, but when that dies, and it quickly would, you then have to rely on his ABILITIES to coach. To suggest taht we should hire ANYONE base on their race is pure BS.

But hell, if we want to be one of the few schools to hire a "minority", lest really ef it all up and hire an Asian. I mean damn, we'd be the only school to do that.

But hell, if we want to be one of the few schools to hire a "minority", lest really ef it all up and hire an Asian.  I mean damn, we'd be the only school to do that.

Maybe an Asian could recruit some young sumo's for the O-Line ????

Edited by NT03

Hey, thats sterotyping tongue.gif Oh, and Im not white, im Eurpoean American. Even though I have never set foot in Europe.

Best one yet, some news channel was describing a suspect, and they said that "police are looking for a TRANSLUCENT" male. blink.gif

No wonder they are looking for him, you cant see him. laugh.gif

Oh I hope you aren't saying that they had good wins because he was black.  And before I go any further, I will check again, but Im pretty sure this Nix fellow wasnt born in Africa, therefore he would not be African-American. Anyways, how would it benefit us to have a head coach just because he is black???  So, if we had 2 candidates to choose from, one white and one black, and the white coach was more qualified, why should we pick the black coach?  How would that benefit the program?  You say it brings attention and such.  To be honest, I had forgotten about the Miss ST coach being black until it was just pointed out.  True, it MIGHT cause a little local buzz at first, but when that dies, and it quickly would, you then have to rely on his ABILITIES to coach.  To suggest taht we should hire ANYONE base on their race is pure BS.

But hell, if we want to be one of the few schools to hire a "minority", lest really ef it all up and hire an Asian.  I mean damn, we'd be the only school to do that.

I respectfully disagree with the part of your post I understood.

And I disagreed with the part of your post that I understand. Your point? Oh, im sorry, that was a lame attempt at a cheap shot. You must be new. Learn this quickly. If you bring an HSO on here, you are going to get roasted by someone. Lean it, and lighten up. We all bleed green.

If we're trying gimmicks, then why don't we just hire a supermodel?  A little sweet talk and promises of future benefits might get us a few bluechips. I know she would get my attention. smile.gif

Im sure there are SEVERAL schools who have already hired her. She just gets paid under the table and has no connections with the universities laugh.gif