Is anyone left who thinks DD

El Paso Eagle

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a big NO right there.  He's fighting to have him removed.  External forces are fighting to keep him.

If the opinion of RV, as Athletic Director, is not enough to result in the termination of Dickey as Head Coach, then, as RV, I'd be scared about the security of my own position.

He is inept or wants him to stay. Either way, not a good position to be in as an AD.

Let me just say this, I thought I was watching a flashback to 2001 tonight. The Dickey that back then said, "to hell with it" and started playing younger guys and basically the guys that FOUGHT to win. He needs to start some of those dang guys on the 2nd (G-team?) team. Those lineman were pulling and hustling...they put bodies on people. You could feel their intensity just watching them.

What the heck he was doing pulling them back out of the game, noone will ever know.

I think DD wants to do things a certain way so badly that it sometimes hurts him and the team. He'll stick with seniors and upperclassmen even if it means losses. It's hard to argue against that b/c it's the honorable way to do things. But sometimes you have to just win the damn game....and that's when DD's style really grates on people. The only time we've seen him veer from that was before game 6 in 2001 and tonight....both times his back was against the wall with his job on the line.

I want to see next week's game.

The call to pull Phillips and the Green Team and put in Meager should cost DD his job. When he put the Green Team in and they played and scored, I thought to myself, wow this is the first real coaching I've seen out of DD in 2+ years. I was excited and thought we had the game won. Then he puts Meager back out there and benches the Green team. I thought to myself, "What the f*ck is this sh*t?!" When a player or players go out there bust their butts for you and get you back in the game, hell not only get you back in the game out severly out perform your other players, why in the hell do you pull them out?! And on top of that why do you not put them back in when the other players squander a lead, continue to turn over and not move the ball, and just be completely inept? Hell you saw what group worked best why not mix JQ and JT in with that group to keep your big playmakers out there and keep the rest of the starters benched to prove a point. Either bust your balls for this team or sit on the bench while someone that wants to play plays.

I thought Dickey was finally turning the corner and doing some real coaching, but it turns out he just had a brain fart for a quarter and forgot who he was. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but tonights game finished me. Fire Dickey!

Well next week we won't be playing the Nation's WORST Defense, so it could be back to normal.

Yes, but if history repeats itself it won't matter. 2001...MTSU--the perfect combination of sexy and brawny. DD goes balls out and we beat the best team in the conference. 2006...game 10--LaLa....ok....well, crap. But still. I'm intrigued. After reading a few other threads it sounds like Brewster coached that green team (I can confirm he was up in the press box for at least the entire first half). Brewster is a KEEPER. I want to do whatever it takes to keep him at North Texas. If it means keeping DD, so be it.

If RV or any big shots happen to be reading....give Andy Brewster $$. Lots of money...or whatever he wants.

Our football team stinks right now b/c we haven't replaced our key assistants along the way---or better, we let them get away. I realize we can't keep everyone here, but somewhere along the line we have to up their pay....at least make it respectable, please?

I guess I'm the Lone Ranger here but it takes balls to bench your entire starting offense. You could tell that they were fired up about it because they came back in and were driving the ball before the half until JQ took it to the house.

Although I totally agree with you guys that he should have left in the Green team, I think he wanted to have the experience on the field in the end with the game on the line. When he was down 21 points, he had nothing to lose. I think this game was my first glimmer of hope for this man since the SMU game.

I want to see what happens next week also. If the 1st team plays like crap and he leaves them in there to get blown out, then I will be with you guys again.

Ha. Looks like the coaches do read the boards. I have been calling for Dickey to bring Brewster back for almost a month and a half now and check that out. Hopefully that means that piece of junk O-Line coach Etheridge is on his way out. While we are at it can we bring Cobbs back to coach our RBs. J-Mo could really use his help right now and Cobbs did a great job with him freshman year.

While we are at it can we get Taylor Casey back to coach LBers. I remember he helped out some 2 years ago and was a big part of Graves and Mendoza's development.

We need fresh coaches. All these old coaches are too set in their ways to see that the style they coach is out dated and they are too stubborn to change them.

I just don't know who to bring in as OC. RF needs to go. There is no question there, but who could we bring in. Applewhite maybe? I would keep Bliel and the TEs coach. ST is up in the air.

Ha.  Looks like the coaches do read the boards.  I have been calling for Dickey to bring Brewster back for almost a month and a half now and check that out.  Hopefully that means that piece of junk O-Line coach Etheridge is on his way out.  While we are at it can we bring Cobbs back to coach our RBs.  J-Mo could really use his help right now and Cobbs did a great job with him freshman year.

While we are at it can we get Taylor Casey back to coach LBers.  I remember he helped out some 2 years ago and was a big part of Graves and Mendoza's development.

We need fresh coaches.  All these old coaches are too set in their ways to see that the style they coach is out dated and they are too stubborn to change them.

I just don't know who to bring in as OC.  RF needs to go.  There is no question there, but who could we bring in.  Applewhite maybe?  I would keep Bliel and the TEs coach.  ST is up in the air.

Not sure what you mean, but Brewster has been on staff since the off-season. I think he's an assistant to Etheridge....but I'm with you, Brewster needs a dang promotion!

Not sure what you mean, but Brewster has been on staff since the off-season.  I think he's an assistant to Etheridge....but I'm with you, Brewster needs a dang promotion!

Probably bad wording/me being confused. I had heard Brewster was around some in the offseason but didn't know he was ever made an official part of the coaching staff or on the sidelines during games and at practices.

Either way I still think the coaches have been on here. I know I have not been the only one calling for Brewster and I have a feeling it got seen and heard.

What the heck he was doing pulling them back out of the game, noone will ever know.

Dickey's response in DMN:

"I don't know if our offense had gotten comfortable, but they looked [terrible] in the first quarter," Dickey said. "[The first team] didn't get fired. ... I hope the second team got their attention. My message to them is to move the ball. I liked their response."