I must say...

GO PONIES

Good luck the rest of this season. You have a coach and team that has proven that it can beat many of this season's opponents and we hope for nothing but the best for them. SMU came precariously close to a bowl invitation this past season, and hopefully they'll earn one this year.

Go Ponies!, Go Mean Green!

Good luck the rest of this season. You have a coach and team that has proven that it can beat many of this season's opponents and we hope for nothing but the best for them. SMU came precariously close to a bowl invitation this past season, and hopefully they'll earn one this year.

Go Ponies!, Go Mean Green!

You can't be serious. SHSU is going to beat SMU next week... and Ole Miss is going to lose to UK, and Wake, and probably Vandy.

As much as I enjoyed beating SMU, I don't think yall are that bad off. I think Willis will be pretty good someday, and the running game will work if Martin can get healthy. At the end of the season it may not save Bennet's job; but I honestly am not sure who yall could hire that would be better (remember that SMU doesn't let up on athletes at all in their admission policies).

SMU will not be D-1A in football in 5 years... the writing is on the wall. Will there be even 8000 fans for the SHSU game? Yeah... no. After going 3-9 or 4-8 (and that being optimistic) with the joke schedule this year, what will the excuses be?

Bennett sucks at head coaching, flat out and simple. He got lucky with Romo taking senior leadership at the end of last season. He may be a "nice guy" with "high integrity" but he coaches some of the worst September football games I've ever witnessed. And I grew up goiing to The Vaught on wknds, so that says a LOT.

Orsini better find $$ really quick if he wants a good coach. Or else this program is just slowly circling the toilet until it's flushed out of the D-1A football world.

It will be nice to be the program that flushed the $h!+ known as SMU.

You know, I am newbie poster & may be out of line here, but I don't like classless behavior. Remember the "hapless high school football team" comment reeled at us by one media head after the UT game? The SMU supporter didn't come to our boards to get slammed. He was trying to show respect, as well as his frustration. Why can't you just talk to the guy? Mean Green are classy people… win or lose.

Edited by chrisfisher

You know, I am newbie poster & may be out of line here, but I don't like classless behavior. Remember the "hapless high school football team" comment reeled at us by one media head? The SMU supporter didn't come to our boards to get slammed. He was trying to show respect, as well as his frustration. Why can't you just talk to the guy? Mean Green are classy people… win or lose.

As I explained to a co-worker today, when a school votes to keep you out of the SWC and CUSA and then makes the comment that UNT grads are the best source of manual labor in the Highland Park area then they have some of this coming.

This poster seemed nice enough, its just a shame he had to be associated with SMU.

Several on this board went over to PF.com to give them some props and to say good game only to get the usuall "Your campus, school and team sucks and your traditions are rip-offs" comments.

As I told one parent after the game down on the field while pointing over to their section: "I've been to most of the college venues in the south central region and met a lot of people over the years and next to Baylor that is one of the sorriest groups of folks I have had the displeasure of dealing with".

My suggestion is don't feel sorry for these people.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Here is the dirty little secret that is not really much of a secret. First, the SMU people had a taste of success in the 80's with the salaried Pony Express. They are still living in the 80's relative to expectations for their football team. The reality is that since they did not make the cut from the SWC to the Big XII there is little hope for them to generate the interest or revenue to compete much longer. Now, when they run out of desire and resources, guess who is waiting in the wings to fill the vacuum? Of course, it the little NTSU up the interstate. They realize that we will eventually take their place on the football landscape in the metroplex and this is eating them alive. With continued leadership here at UNT we will methodically climb up the ladder into SMU's old place in the NCAA heirarchy. The primary reason for their demise, however, is that the average football fan in Dallas does not give a hoot about the Mustangs. TCU has done a good job of capturing the Fort Worth fan's interest, and hopefully, we will keep gaining on the fans in Denton and the surrounding metroplex. Please pardon the fact that this is a disertation of the obvious. If we do another roller coaster ride in athletics, then all bets are off and who knows what the landscape will look like five years hence.

SMU in the Southland Conf..... sounds good to me!

I don't think SMU would ever go to 1AA unless it was non-scholarship 1AA like the Ivy League.

I can envision the possibility of SMU football going to Division III football years from now if the circumstances are right. Smaller private schools like SMU, Rice, and Tulane may decide that the expenditures of Division 1 football are not worth the rewards, or decide that scholarship football is compromising their academics, or both.

If they could keep some their familiar rivals, I think that those three and several other national colleges would like to get out of the busines of selling out to the 50,000 student football factories.

I think the end result would be that watching football would become fun again for them.

People said support for Highland Park football would fade when it dropped from 5A to 4A. Has that happened?

SMU will not be D-1A in football in 5 years... the writing is on the wall. Will there be even 8000 fans for the SHSU game? Yeah... no. After going 3-9 or 4-8 (and that being optimistic) with the joke schedule this year, what will the excuses be?

Bennett sucks at head coaching, flat out and simple. He got lucky with Romo taking senior leadership at the end of last season. He may be a "nice guy" with "high integrity" but he coaches some of the worst September football games I've ever witnessed. And I grew up goiing to The Vaught on wknds, so that says a LOT.

Orsini better find $$ really quick if he wants a good coach. Or else this program is just slowly circling the toilet until it's flushed out of the D-1A football world.

I have respect for you Southern Stang, but this addressed many others at SMU :

Until the SMU community changes their attitude toward others, they will get no respect from ANYONE nor do they deserve any.

SMU attitudes are destroying your university.

SMU is in a city of one million ( downtown Dallas) yet you have awful attendance… you have no support from the city at all, just the SMU community, and not even very good there.

SMU can not recruit and it is getting worse. Most of the best athletes in Texas come from middle and lower income family and almost none of them want to come to SMU if they get an offer from anywhere else because they understand how they will be viewed… as inferiors and not equals….much more like the Southern slave system which valued them for what good they would do. -----It is NOT your Coaches’ fault they have no chance to win in this environment.

SMU's attitude that the rules don’t apply to us caused the death penalty to be invoked during the 1980’s and partially contributed to the break-up of the SWC, that and low attendance by several schools including SMU, also no longer being competitive with the others.

Ask any grad of a division I school in Texas who they detest the most and nearly all will list their big rival first and SMU second because of attitudes and disrespect shown by SMU.

This is more personal but SMU is shooting yourself in the foot by not scheduling North Texas….. That game will fill you stadium or close to it and cause local interest.. It could help you… At this point I no longer care…. Just self-Destruct.. You kept us out of the SWC and changed our athletic history.

Soon you will likely be in a conference with McMurry et. al. if nothing changes.

I did not see it but heard there was an SMU sign or window painted with :

CASH defeats TRASH .......what a classless lowlife statement, if true.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

I don't think SMU would ever go to 1AA unless it was non-scholarship 1AA like the Ivy League.

I can envision the possibility of SMU football going to Division III football years from now if the circumstances are right. Smaller private schools like SMU, Rice, and Tulane may decide that the expenditures of Division 1 football are not worth the rewards, or decide that scholarship football is compromising their academics, or both.

If they could keep some their familiar rivals, I think that those three and several other national colleges would like to get out of the busines of selling out to the 50,000 student football factories.

I think the end result would be that watching football would become fun again for them.

People said support for Highland Park football would fade when it dropped from 5A to 4A. Has that happened?

It certainly behooves all three metroplex football schools to play one another every year. Promote the category and the brands will grow.

I'm afraid TCU is beginning to think they don't need the local rivals due to their recent success but they should not be so short sighted.

Perhaps SMU should look to Sewell Lexus for some help with recruiting?

Perhaps SMU should look to Sewell Lexus for some help with recruiting?

lol! laugh.gif

chrisfisher

The comment about flushing SMU was a joke, just part of my sick sense of humor. Because of your newbie status you don't know that I'm a sarcastic muckracker, who hates everything. (Another joke, well mostly). Welcome to the board and I hope you continue to bleed MEAN GREEN.

Edited by GreenBat

It certainly behooves all three metroplex football schools to play one another every year.  Promote the category and the brands will grow. 

I'm afraid TCU is beginning to think they don't need the local rivals due to their recent success but they should not be so short sighted.

TCU's fans might start to think otherwise later down the road. TCU's closest conference opponent is New Mexico. More FW fans are attending games right now cause the froggies are winning.

Edited by UNTFan23