The Band looked like crap

ipd054

Guest Aquila_Viridis

Who cares. If the band was on top of things they would have known that the UT band was going to play Kansas, Chicago, Journey and Styx or whatever else, and they would have been ready with a more potent counter-offering of Iron Maiden and the Scorpions, maybe even some Thin Lizzy.

Edited by Aquila_Viridis

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought they sounded great and had great enthusiasm for the weather. Normally I would complain about their appearence but considering the weather and all and people dropping like flys at the game, Casual was the way to go. I was in the bottom of section 9 so obviously I didnt see anyone flash the hook em' sign, but that is bad considering they're repping the university in Austin. But even so it was a dumb few so we shouldnt scrutinize the bunch.

Go Mean Green! Beat down on them Dallas Ponies!

If someone wants to foot the bill to fit the band with matching shorts and hats, then fork over the money. Until then, the shorts won't match and the hats won't be uniformed. UT's band budget is quite a bit higher than ours. So we cannot be compared to them.

I thought maybe this year people won't have anything to bitch about with the Green Brigade, but what was I even thinking that this year was going to be any different? Ok, the three members that were cheering for UT should be reprimanded. Bad choice on their part. But it is infuriating that instead of giving the band director any sort of piece of advice or input, people come here to complain. NEWS FLASH: If you want better music or the band wearing white socks (not that this should EVEN be an issue), then give constructive criticism to the band director. That is the ONLY way to get things changed.

I am going to get off now before I say things that I shouldn't.

I'm sorry Deb, but your defending pretty weak ground here. Members of the band pull the stuff that RV has been trying to stamp out since he got here. Go over to the Texags forum and ask what would happen if a member of the FTAB pulled that stunt; they probably wouldn't understand the question, as their school pride runs so deep.

And I'm with Stebo, it doesn't take much to show up in khaki shorts. Hell, I could even to afford those for my janitoring gig in the student union.

Kind of what I was thinking.  Doesn't everyone own some khaki shorts?  To me it is a matter of pride.  If I was in the band, I wouldn't want to look messy.  I am pretty sure that I could figure out a way to either wear my khaki shorts or buy some if I didn't own any.  This is not a question of MONEY, this is about our music program forcing our music majors to be in marching band.  They are young and screaming "Individualism" - because they are "artists".. so what should we do?  Tell the band director to grow a set of balls and TELL the members to wear the same damn shorts and to SHOW SOME PRIDE.  The director did not either A) Think of this crazy concept or B ) - Thought of it but did not enforce it... either way, it sounds like we looked very unmatched and cluttered. 

Any kid in America that is attending college can afford to go to Old Navy or Target and buy some $10 khaki shorts.  We don't need a "fundraising" drive on GMG.com to clothe our band - we need a band director that does his job.

Sorry Debbie, but this is something that a lot of us feel passionately about.  Do you think the AD dresses the cheerleader from head to toe?  What about the football players?  Who pays for their mandatory shirt and tie that they have to wear on the busses/planes to away games?  A lot of those players come from much more torn budgets then our band members.  Again, this is about pride.

You (and others) don't understand. They all wore Khaki shorts. It's just that some of them were a slightly different shade/style, which easily happens when everyone goes out and gets their own. That sort of thing happens (the different shades) unless everyone went to the same store to buy their shorts.

I still find it sad that our band only has one uniform option at this time.

You (and others) don't understand. They all wore Khaki shorts. It's just that some of them were a slightly different shade/style, which easily happens when everyone goes out and gets their own. That sort of thing happens (the different shades) unless everyone went to the same store to buy their shorts.

I still find it sad that our band only has one uniform option at this time.

Ok, was I reading the same thread? You guys said that the shorts did not match. If they were all wearing khaki then I take back EVERYTHING that I just posted. From the posts, I read it to understand that some of them had on other color shorts. If this is incorrect, again - I apologize to Debbie, the band, and the band director. I am not one to complain that they didn't have the same "shade" of khaki, that would be pretty petty, lol...

I just want to say that I thought the band did amazing - in the stands.  The drumline was astounding.  The UT band had nothing on our band in the stands.

On the field - the Green Brigade is average to below average.  Make an N - Make a T.......something.  Entertain me.  Much like their football couterparts, on the field they got destroyed by UT.

Any band members cheering for the other school should be out of the band.  Need marching band for a credit?  Maybe next year, or maybe just transfer to the school you love.

Have you ever tried marching band? It's very difficult to play a complicated piece of music while moving to your exact spot on the field, but yet adjusting in case someone on either side of you misses their mark and you have to compensate to keep the shape.

And the reason to wear black, as I'm sure Green Grenade, Old Timer, and any other band person could tell you, is that at least for the shoes/socks, black doesn't show up as well on the field. Therefore, if your lines are a bit off, you wear black so that it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

The Green Brigade and our music school in general prides itself on the quality of music. Maybe some of the songs aren't what everyone expects to hear at a football game, and that's where you call the band director out. Talk to him about it, but don't complain to the Brigade - they're just playing what they're told to play. As my band director used to say, "We could have a great drill and play 'Come Love Me Jesus' in whole notes, but that wouldn't be very interesting." Personally, I'd rather sacrifice a complicated drill for better musicianship any day.

Have you ever tried marching band? It's very difficult to play a complicated piece of music while moving to your exact spot on the field, but yet adjusting in case someone on either side of you misses their mark and you have to compensate to keep the shape.

And the reason to wear black, as I'm sure Green Grenade, Old Timer, and any other band person could tell you, is that at least for the shoes/socks, black doesn't show up as well on the field. Therefore, if your lines are a bit off, you wear black so that it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

The Green Brigade and our music school in general prides itself on the quality of music. Maybe some of the songs aren't what everyone expects to hear at a football game, and that's where you call the band director out. Talk to him about it, but don't complain to the Brigade - they're just playing what they're told to play. As my band director used to say, "We could have a great drill and play 'Come Love Me Jesus' in whole notes, but that wouldn't be very interesting." Personally, I'd rather sacrifice a complicated drill for better musicianship any day.

Well - That's sort of a load.

I was in the Green Brigade in 1994 and 1995 and was a Drum Major in High School for two years. I can tell you this. The Music we played in Highschool was every bit as complicated as anything I played in my 2 years in the Brigade, and the drill marched in the brigade was woefully inadequite, IMHO. Park and Blow doesn't get the heart racing. ...and having to play some trite piece of music for the danceteam to dance (poorly) to was pathetic. I understood it at the High School level - Gotta sacrafice for the Drillteam - but at the collegiate level? Ugh...

...and for the record, Nick is a GREAT guy and one hell of a director, IMHO. When I was a Freshman and lost on campus without direction, he was one of a very few upperclassmen who seemed to care. He was an RA @ Kerr, and was a member of the Brigade at the same time I was. He is one the most talneted people I met there and could do anything with that band. Don't blame the director - blame the status-quo he is obliged to follow.

Finally, the funding argument. I call horsehockey. UNT IS A MUSIC SCHOOL. Our Music dept should be funing the Marching Band to the point of excess because they are the most visable example of one of the departments our University prides itself on. The funing should not be coming from the alumni, no matter how willing we all are, but it should be coming from the department that has much to gain by putting a better product on the field.

Our music department draws some of the BEST musicians and marchers in the state and around the country because of how awesome our music department is. UNT should spare no expence higlighting this fact by making the music, the drill and the apperance of our band second to NONE.

Showing up in Austin looking like a 3A highschool band and having band members root for the other team is unacceptable.

When I first got to campus in 2000, I considered joining the Green Brigade just because I really dug marching band in high school. But, then, I saw their "drill" and it consisted primarily of 10 still sets. In high school, we didn't march to quite the level of Drum Corps International, but, in comparison to the marching band at North Texas (and throughout most college bands, to be fair), what we did in high school was pretty dang close.

I know the rationale here is a weekly show to entertain the fans. That's totally cool, but having seen marching at its highest form at DCI regionals a few years back, everything else pales in comparison.

I really don't care what they wear when it is hot, as long as they wear the unis when it isn't.

But cheering for the other team? I think this is the most embarassing thing that happened on Saturday, the final score of the game included. If they are to be allowed to remain in the band (and therefore allowed to continue with their education degree), they need to be identified and made to state what they did and apologize to the football team after practice.

If they are to be allowed to remain in the band (and therefore allowed to continue with their education degree), they need to be identified and made to state what they did and apologize to the football team after practice.

Look, the band is supposed to show and encourage school spirit at games. If these kids cheer for the other team, they should not be allowed to remain in the band. Period. mad.gif

Look, the band is supposed to show and encourage school spirit at games.  If these kids cheer for the other team, they should not be allowed to remain in the band.  Period.  mad.gif

Iono man... I'm a fan of second chances, having been in need of a few over the course of my life. I'm not saying what they did was excusable, but I think they have to march to get their degree. I can't support doing something to cost them their degree without any possibility of restitution.

Now if they don't want to apologize, then that's on them.

Have you ever tried marching band? ...

What a load of crap.

Marching band is not hard. If you've played the music enough and know how to count to 4 you can march.

It is pretty sad when most high school bands are dressed up to play at every games and parades, yet UNT wouldn't do it at a high profile game.

What a load of crap. 

Marching band is not hard.  If you've played the music enough and know how to count to 4 you can march.

It is pretty sad when most high school bands are dressed up to play at every games and parades, yet UNT wouldn't do it at a high profile game.

I personally don't think marching band is all that hard, but then I've done it, and apparently, so have you. I don't have a problem with you criticizing the band if you've been out there and done it. My point in the post was to ask if those criticizing the band had ever done it. If you've done it and know what you're asking, that's one thing. If you've never done it before and are demanding that the band perform better, that's another.

Sheez, some people on this board are waaaayyyy too touchy this week. Just because you're upset at the way the football team played (and I'm not happy about the performance either) doesn't mean you should take it all out on the band.

Are there things they could do better? I'm sure there are. However nice the band director may be, it's still his call on what the band plays and how they perform at the game, unless things have changed since I was last in band and band directors are no longer held accountable for the band's performance. (Maybe like the football team?) I'm not advocating yelling at the guy, but I think alumni interest in the music and drill used by the band is perfectly appropriate.

Sort of off topic...but where did DD get that NT hat he had on???  Kind of liked it but have not seen it on any website.  Anyone know???

i didn't see the hat, so i don't know what it looks like. But if u live in the denton area, the Hat World in the Golden Triangle Mall has tons of nice UNT hats...if u check it out u might see the one DD wore cool.gif

back on topic...yeah, the band members were idiots for flashin the hook 'em. they should get in a little trouble, but i think kickin' them off the squad (and especially out of school) is going too far. they jus need to realize that if they like the opposing team more, they should celebrate to themselves.

Edited by JuEv0splash

Finally, the funding argument.  I call horsehockey.  UNT IS A MUSIC SCHOOL.  Our Music dept should be funing the Marching Band to the point of excess because they are the most visable example of one of the departments our University prides itself on.  The funing should not be coming from the alumni, no matter how willing we all are, but it should be coming from the department that has much to gain by putting a better product on the field.

Our music department draws some of the BEST musicians and marchers in the state and around the country because of how awesome our music department is.  UNT should spare no expence higlighting this fact by making the music, the drill and the apperance of our band second to NONE. 

Showing up in Austin looking like a 3A highschool band and having band members root for the other team is unacceptable.

Best post yet! We are a nationally acclaimed music school, then act like it damnit! The music school should fund matching shorts and shirts just like UT does. I've said it before, if it is mandatory for a music major to be Brigade member, then we should have the best damn band in the state of Texas.

I'm really getting tired reading about how this university keeps shooting itself in the foot at every turn when we have a chance to showcase ourselves. No wonder why alumni drop like flies.

And what's with no North Texas TV commercials during the telecast? Who negotiated that contract?

Really - I've lived in Denton for over 25 years - degree from UNT - my kids are in another large university band that behaves like one. We buy their matching stand hats - required - a big investment of $10. We buy the matching pants - another big investment of $30 or so. They even have rehearsal uniforms for game day - don't wear it, don't participate. Root for the other team - unheard of. You'd be out in half a heartbeat. Act like you mean it.

Really - I've lived in Denton for over 25 years - degree from UNT - my kids are in another large university band that behaves like one.  We buy their matching stand hats - required - a big investment of $10.  We buy the matching pants - another big investment of $30 or so.  They even have rehearsal uniforms for game day - don't wear it, don't participate.  Root for the other team - unheard of.  You'd be out in half a heartbeat.  Act like you mean it.

Thanks for the insight, and welcome to the board.

Really - I've lived in Denton for over 25 years - degree from UNT - my kids are in another large university band that behaves like one.  We buy their matching stand hats - required - a big investment of $10.  We buy the matching pants - another big investment of $30 or so.  They even have rehearsal uniforms for game day - don't wear it, don't participate.  Root for the other team - unheard of.  You'd be out in half a heartbeat.  Act like you mean it.

Welcome to the board. Great post.

i didn't see the hat, so i don't know what it looks like.  But if u live in the denton area, the Hat World in the Golden Triangle Mall has tons of nice UNT hats...if u check it out u might see the one DD wore  cool.gif

back on topic...yeah, the band members were idiots for flashin the hook 'em.  they should get in a little trouble, but i think kickin' them off the squad (and especially out of school) is going too far.  they jus need to realize that if they like the opposing team more, they should celebrate to themselves.

I think the traitors should be shot, and if that's considered cruel and unusual punishment these days, they should at least be flogged. mad.gif

Ok, I seem to agree with you folks on something. From my extensive marching experience (too many years to count), the unit comes before the individual. Esprit d'Corps. Bandsmen should always be uniform, and always be supportive and spirited.

Let it be known, the Best Dressed Band in the Land, the Mustang Band, will put out more sound than you will ever imagine. Don't let their size fool any of you.

The mods here are jackasses. sad.gif

Edited by GO PONIES