Woody Wilson

megagreen

I'm sure there are other posts addressing this issue, but I watched the game on Saturday and it seems like Woody gives us the best chance to win this year. I didn't watch any summer ball, but it seems like Phillips is a liability to us under center. He threw some nice balls, but he just doesn't have any mobility in the pocket much less the ability to get out of the pocket.

Woody seemed like he was in control. I think he has earned the job. If he plays exclusively against SMU, I think we win. If we see anybody else, bad things can happen.

Somebody who watched preseason please comment and tell me how the UT game compared with spring and summer practices with regard to the QB competition.

Woody for president!

GMG!

Woody should be the starter for the SMU game, plain and simple. I still dont understand why he was taken out after driving the team 80 years and putting points on the board. "Hey great job on doing what you are supposed to do, now lets give Matt a chance". I love YMCA football.

Oh if Meager is in there Saturday, Im going to find the highest part of Fouts and jump.

I agree. Wood clearly showed that he should be the starter! Philips was a sitting duck in the pocket. Atleast with Woody, he poses a threat to run. That loosens up the defense a so we can maybe make a big play. He also looked more poised in there. IT shows that his two years of JUCO play helped his maturity. Oh yeah, I think the reason he came out after the big drive was that he was dehydrated. They said they had him hooked up to an IV on the sideline.

I was a big fan of Matt Phillips last season, and thought that he deserved a start last year. I was also happy that he got the start against Texas. However.....

I think Woody should start against SMU. I wasn't impressed with his first few plays at Texas, but the more he played, the smarter he got. He started making better decisions, and I think his scrambling ability really helped us get that score.

I think something shook MP's confidence. He didn't look as confident as he did last year, and I wonder if this stupid QB controversy is one of the main reasons for the problem. If you think about it, last year he busted his butt every time he went in the game and DD wouldn't start him. Now suddenly he finally gets his chance to start, but he knows that any screw ups and he's on the bench again for the entire season. That's a lot of pressure to put on someone. That's just speculation on my part, and I wouldn't even pretend to know football as much as a coach, but it just seems that DD is a bit.... unequal and inconsistent in the way he treats the QBs.

I'm down Wilson too. He looked to have an arm competitive with MP's at the UT game, and he's quicker on his feet than DM is. Frankly, Woody is the best of both QB types and I don't see why we shouldn't put him on the field first.

Heck, scoring against UT isn't anything easy, and that one TD earns the start against SMU.

Edited by meangreendork

Some of yall are so quick to jump ship it is f'in unbelievable. You are all excited about Phillips starting against UT, Woody has one good drive and now your like Matt Phillips who???? I agree, Woody earned the right to start this weekend based on last weeks performance and that he is a great player, but this QB battle aint over. Oh...and the person bashing Meager, he doesnt deserve that. Yeah he had a rough year last year, but thats just what it was, last year. I hope he at least gets a series and shows up the way that I know he can. I'm sorry, after that long weekend I guess I'm a little pissed off to be back in the real world, but I guess my point is to stop being so two-faced.

I like what Woody did with his time in the game. Out of the three, he should get the start to show what he can do from the beginning.

Call me a dreamer, but I would love to see Nathan Tune take off that redshirt and get his feet wet this season. I don't see that happening unless injuries on the other three take their toll. When he truly gets a chance to compete next year, we're all going to be saying he should have been around for the competition this season.

Just my opinion, but I can't wait!

I never favored Phillips. No two-face here! The kid cannot play. Neither can Meager. Meager had his chance last year and he looked horrible all season. He has no arm strength and no scrambling ability. I watched him under throw people by 20 yards last year!!!!! The fact is we are weak at QB! We are not going to win games this year with our QB play. We need someone that can just manage the game efficiently and keep the mistakes down to a minimum. This way J-Mo can do his thing. Scott Hall was not great by any means. He just was smart out there and made an occasional play with minimum mistakes. He managed the game well. That opened the door for Cobbs and J-MO.

I would like to see Meager get a few reps, but this "controversy" needs to end. It just puts extra pressure on them. Woody needs to start this week and play the whole game. After that, let the controversy begin. This game is too big to be swapping QB's.

What are your thoughts?

I never favored Phillips. No two-face here! The kid cannot play.  Neither can Meager.  Meager had his chance last year and he looked horrible all season.  He has no arm strength and no scrambling ability.  I watched him under throw people by 20 yards last year!!!!!  The fact is we are weak at QB!  We are not going to win games this year with our QB play.  We need someone that can just manage the game efficiently and keep the mistakes down to a minimum.  This way J-Mo can do his thing.  Scott Hall was not great by any means.  He just was smart out there and made an occasional play with minimum mistakes.  He managed the game well.  That opened the door for Cobbs and J-MO. 

I would like to see Meager get a few reps, but this "controversy" needs to end.  It just puts extra pressure on them.  Woody needs to start this week and play the whole game.  After that, let the controversy begin.  This game is too big to be swapping QB's. 

What are your thoughts?

I agree, but be careful saying negative things about Hall on here (though I completely agree with you). Hall was great at managing the game and not throwing it away.

To me, starting Wilson is a no-brainer. Went for 5 of 6 on the drive, played well with Jamario. They seemed to feed off one another.

QB controversies are never good when they spill into the regular season. It has been said "if you think you have 3 guys that could start at QB, that means you might have none"

Im on the Wilson train, and I'll be on it all season. Start him saturday. He earned it.

Some of yall are so quick to jump ship it is f'in unbelievable. You are all excited about Phillips starting against UT, Woody has one good drive and now your like Matt Phillips who???? I agree, Woody earned the right to start this weekend based on last weeks performance and that he is a great player, but this QB battle aint over. Oh...and the person bashing Meager, he doesnt deserve that. Yeah he had a rough year last year, but thats just what it was, last year. I hope he at least gets a series and shows up the way that I know he can. I'm sorry, after that long weekend I guess I'm a little pissed off to be back in the real world, but I guess my point is to stop being so two-faced.

How is that two-faced? Most people had never even seen Woody play before Saturday. They were able to see the two stood up against each other for the first time and they are calling their favorite.

your right. I think Hall was good, don't get me wrong. But, he was not going to light up a defense with his arm or running ability. That is all I am saying. He was undersized and still found a way to win games. It all came down to how he managed the game. That was even back in the days of when Dickey would run it on 3rd and 15. I do not know how Hall did it?

How is that two-faced? Most people had never even seen Woody play before Saturday. They were able to see the two stood up against each other for the first time and they are calling their favorite.

I totally agree. I didn't know anything about Woody til Saturday. I was pro-Phillips before then but after seeing Matt throw to a ghost I choose to go with WW.

I like what Woody did with his time in the game.  Out of the three, he should get the start to show what he can do from the beginning. 

Call me a dreamer, but I would love to see Nathan Tune take off that redshirt and get his feet wet this season.  I don't see that happening unless injuries on the other three take their toll.  When he truly gets a chance to compete next year, we're all going to be saying he should have been around for the competition this season.

Just my opinion, but I can't wait!

What about Steve Prince? Do you think he could in and solve the problems?

Did you get the feeling like I did that DD played it like a pre-season game with the same effect as the last few years. It looked like there was just too many "adjustments" made to think we were serious about winning, or at least playing it close.

Wish I felt better about our effort. We'll know after the SMU game.

What about Steve Prince? Do you think he could in and solve the problems?

Steve Prince is a name I haven't heard in a couple of months. I have to admit I don't know where he is on the depth squad and why he isn't part of the rotation. Someone here on the board might know more info (Harry? Anyone?)

I'll pose that question at the Denton RC for their 2pm chat today and see if there are any answers to whether he or Nathan are viable options this season.

Bob