Texas getting BCS notice via NT

UNT_playmaker

Did ya'll see this arrogant fool run up the score against us by going for it on 4th down 3 times while they were up at least 21 points.... They were all for UT touchdowns. S***, I dont even do that while I play NCAA Football on my XBOX.....

They also had their starters stay on the field alot more than in previous years. Also they wouldnt attempt to run up the score in that fashion before.

That fake punt tun up the middle sealed my verdict that this was a points contest for Texas to get the #2 spot before the Ohio State game and make Ohio State sweat before their much anticipated game....

Texas couldnt settle for a FG while in FG range, they had to get the seven points. Im suprised we didnt see that jerk go for 2 pt conversions or onside kicks to get the ball back in their hands....

Mack Brown looked alot like Tech's Leach this afternoon... Shame on you....

Did yall hear Mack Brown say during a commercial break that Texas doesnt need a star QB to win a national championship, BULLS***, If they didnt have YOUNG they wouldnt have goen anywhere. It wasnt because of his mediocre coaching thats for damn sure.....

I dont think he remembers far enough to recall the Oklahoma thrashings........Arrogant prick....

Whats up with the Texas Space Suits...Are we getting ours before the SMU game??

Edited by UNT_playmaker

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well its waaaaaaay too early in the season they are already ranked #3, prob #2 after the NT.

Playing NT isnt classified as a BCS type matchup, compared to UT foes, Colorado, Oklahoma, and A&M

It was just suprising that this sticking it to NT vendetta that he had going on, lasted till the end of the game...NT defense did a good job of dealing with the UT starters for most of the game....

Well its waaaaaaay too early in the season they are already ranked #3, prob #2 after the NT.

You're trying to apply logic to a system that has their first rankings in the middle of July. With the stakes what they are for UT, its not too early.

Hell, UT never called off the dogs on Colorado....and that got bad.

1. I really don't have a lot of problem with what on (by Texas)... it was the first game with a game against OSU #1 next week.... We were not that enept..(not like two years ago) Even the time of possession was fairly close surprisingly.

2. The gambling line was 41 and you can be the coaches knew that. They won by 49. If he did not cover the line the Horn-Nation would not be happy and not happy with him. Their last TD was the result of a fumble bu us and they were only one point over the "line" at that time.

---This one of those times that we need to do better if we don't like score. I am satisfied with the result .... I wasn't in 2004... that was awful. We will do ok once we play more reasonable opponents..... They were very good, we don't need to get our chins down.... Things will get better..

.......It was not pretty but we looked much better than two years ago when I was there in person.... Their D-line just ran through out O-line and no play had a chance during that game. I was also impressed that we passed some and made their defense back off. Our coaching staff did about as well as they could against a far superior team. They are the defending " National Champions" with 7 starters back from both offense and defense..... plus a lot of those new starters actually played a third of time last year because of all the blow-outs.

It will be interesting to see what SMU does in Lubbock tonight....

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

That fake punt tun up the middle sealed my verdict that this was a points contest for Texas to get the #2 spot before the Ohio State game and make Ohio State sweat before their much anticipated game....

Even I knew it was going to be a fake punt. I kept yelling that in the stands. This was a tune up game for Texas. They had to practice it.

Repeatedly going for it on 4th down pissed me off as well. Doesn't their FG kicker need game time experience?

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!!

Did yall hear Mack Brown say during a commercial break that Texas doesnt need a star QB to win a national championship, BULLS***, If they didnt have YOUNG they wouldnt have goen anywhere. It wasnt because of his mediocre coaching thats for damn sure.....

That sound byte you heard was from an upcoming episode of "Friday Night Lights" on NBC (?). He wasn't saying it because he was necessarily thinking it, the writers apparently thought it would be funny.

I'm definitely not a tU fan, nor am I much of a Mack Brown fan. However, I thought that he gave us credit today, and treated us with respect. It was supposed to be a blowout game, and no one really expected otherwise.

Would I like to see our team do better? Hell Yes. Am I completely happy with all the coaches did to prepare our team for the game and coach them during the game? Hell No. But our players went out there and gave it all on the field for an entire 60 minutes. And I couldn't be more proud of them. They played like they didn't come there to lose, and for that, I can't get too down on the entire situation.

Mack didn't run up the score. He covered the spread (and don't think for a minute he didn't know what the spread was) and then we turned the ball over and gave them a TD. If he barely beat us or beat us by 20-30 it would hurt them in the rankings. Running up the score would have been keeping Charles and McCoy in the entire game and not letting the 3-4th stringers get reps. As for the fake put and all that that was all in pursuit of the spread after they broke the spread did you notice he tried to just run out the clock? Mack is a class guy and played this game as he should have.

Edited by MeanGreenBuzz

Mack didn't run up the score.  He covered the spread (and don't think for a minute he didn't know what the spread was) and then we turned the ball over and gave them a TD.  If he barely beat us or beat us by 20-30 it would hurt them in the rankings.  Running up the score would have been keeping Charles and McCoy in the entire game and not letting the 3-4th stringers get reps.  As for the fake put and all that that was all in pursuit of the spread after they broke the spread did you notice he tried to just run out the clock?  Mack is a class guy and played this game as he should have.

Correct. The only other way Texas could have not scored is if they ran out of bounds before getting the TD.

With the mistakes made in the 4th quarter, there could have easily been another 14-21 points for tu.

I was surprised....and disappointed.....to see Texas run the fake punt on fourth down. I thought it showed a lack of class to do that when your team was clearly better than your opponent and there was no chance of your losing the game. This was balanced our, though, in the fourth quarter when Texas just ran the ball inside when they could easily have scored again. I guess those things balance out. Mack Brown was very complimentary of North Texas in his quotes after the game. He indicated that this was a much better North Texas team than Texas had played two years ago. I sure hope he is right.

Did ya'll see this arrogant fool run up the score against us by going for it on 4th down 3 times while they were up at least 21 points.... They were all for UT touchdowns. S***, I dont even do that while I play NCAA Football on my XBOX.....

They also had their starters stay on the field alot more than in previous years. Also they wouldnt attempt to run up the score in that fashion before.

Texas couldnt settle for a FG while in FG range, they had to get the seven points. Im suprised we didnt see that jerk go for 2 pt conversions or onside kicks to get the ball back in their hands....

Mack Brown looked alot like Tech's Leach this afternoon... Shame on you....

I dont think he remembers far enough to recall the Oklahoma thrashings........Arrogant prick....

Whats up with the Texas Space Suits...Are we getting ours before the SMU game??

You sir, are clueless. First off, UT took their starters out in the second half for the specific purpose of not running up the score. He could've hung 70 on UNT if he had wanted to. As for going for it on 4th, college teams go for it on 4th all the time. This isn't the NFL! He wants to get his offense as many reps as possible so the new QB has as more experience going into next week. Also, you're crazy if you think Mack Brown actually believes he doesn't need a good QB to win a championship. That was a clip for a TV SHOW!!! You know...fiction! He plays the part of a player's parent who's giving the coach a hard time. I would assume that maybe you didn't know this, but the announcers talked about it b4 they played the clip.

Like most of the other rational users on this board, I saw a Mack Brown who gave a lot of respect to Coach Dickey, UNT, and the Sun Belt in general. Was he looking forward to next week? Hell yes! Did he tell the media that? No way! He has more class than that, and he'd never disrespect another Coach's team or program. Call me a Mack Brown or Texas fanboy if you wish, but you know it's true. I think you were just bitter over the big loss when you typed your post...so I won't hold it against you tongue.gif .

Keep the situation in context...

NT has just driven the field on your starting defense to make it 28-7. They followed that up with forcing your offense into a 3-and-out. The last thing you want is NT to score again and get any semblance of momentum and starting to think they are in the game. It was a gutsy move, and an excellent call at the time.

First off, UT took their starters out in the second half for the specific purpose of not running up the score.  As for going for it on 4th, college teams go for it on 4th all the time.  He wants to get his offense as many reps as possible so the new QB has as more experience going into next week.

Just shut up. UT's starters were in until the 4th quarter, just as UT's starters played in the second half in 2004 so they could get the score up to 51-0 before putting the backups in, and just as UT's starters stayed in the game until late in the 4th in 2002. Also, in 2004, even though UT was up 41-0 just before the half, Mack had to run the hurry up offense with 41 seconds left so he could kick a field goal at the end of the half. So UT going for it on 4th down twice in the second half of yesterday's blowout is nothing new, but that doesn't make it OK.

Mack Brown is a BCS whore who will do anything to look good to pollers, including blatently running the score up, whining and complaining in the media, etc....

---You sure did not see what I saw... and I do not trash people just because they win......We will play teams that do not have the talent of the Horns have and I expect us to do well. Our guys and coaches did the best they could against a superior team. Go luck to the Horns and all Texas teams (except SMU).

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Just shut up...Mack Brown is a BCS whore who will do anything to look good to pollers, including blatently running the score up, whining and complaining in the media, etc....

Yeah, i guess its crazy for a coach to actually try to make his team look good. I mean, who wants to get the millions of dollars that come from making it to a BCS bowl lol! With TX's rose bowl bid over Cal...well i guess the better team went to the Rose considering how that "good" Cal team got embarrassed by TX Tech in the Holiday. But that really has nothing to do w/ yesterday's game.

Let's just look at the facts: box score for TX - 14, 14, 14, 14...running it up or just consistent play?

Texas' 2nd half touchdowns (4 total): 2 rushing (scored by the 2nd and 3rd string RBs), 1 pass (a hitch that went to the house due to poor tackling wink.gif ), and one fumble return (obviously a UNT mistake that the backup UT defense forced).

Regarding 4th down attempts...I'll be honest that I dont remember, but the stat book I looked at online only has 2 4th down tries for TX. Like i said this may be a mistake, but if not then that doesn't seem too bad.

I don't understand what the fuss is about. I was impressed w/ North Texas. Thomas got it going in the second half and had good runs against a top teir "D". Wilson looked impressive and Jackson appears like he'll compliment Quinn really well at WR. Texas was just better and there is no shame in that. UNT should do very well next week and throughout conference play. But I guess I'm not surprised, there has been and always be Texas haters no matter what happens biggrin.gif

PS - there really wasn't a reason to be rude and tell me to shut up...this discussion isn't personal bro. It's okay that we have differing opinions, and I do apologize if I sounded rude in either this or my previous posts smile.gif

You said the starters came out in the second half, as if Mack was showing us mercy. They did not come out until the 4th quarter of a blowout, and twice in that second half they tried to convert of 4th downs. Now I could maybe see that ol' Mack was just trying to see what his team could do in different situations, but when, in the past, he has run the hurry up offense against us with 41 seconds on the clock in a 41-0 game in order to kick a field goal before halftime, you can probably see why I am a little suspicious of his motives. You know, the same guy who kept his starters in 2 years ago until he had scored 51 points to our zero, and kept the starters in until late in the 4th 4 years ago. But he gave us praise! Woo! dry.gif Actions speak louder than words.

Don't try to downplay what actually happened, and then when that doesn't work out say he was just trying to make the team look good. "Trying to make the team look good" is just another way of saying "running up the score".

Oh yeah, and when you come on our board and call one of our fans clueless because he doesn't appreciate having the score run up against us in order to impress pollers, don't expect a warm welcome.

Oh yeah, and when you come on our board and call one of our fans clueless because he doesn't appreciate having the score run up against us in order to impress pollers, don't expect a warm welcome.

rolleyes.gif Please don't label my response to the topic starter as rude considering the language he used to describe a classy (IMHO) ball coach as a prick. i didn't intend to flame (if i did), i actually thought my post was considerably less derogatory than that of the topic starter. But, if i misled anyone about my tone (btw ive realized it can be very hard to judge the tone of a post from a message board lol), then that's my bad.

Regarding the game, i see ur point, i guess i just don't agree. I've seen other coaches run it up in a much more deliberate way. So i saw nothing wrong with how it went yesterday. I think Texas had the right to win and to win decisively. He wasn't chunking deep TD passes or running trick plays in order to get 56 pts. The same is true when Texas beat Colorado 70-3 last year and when OU worked A&M 77-0 a few years back. They couldn't help the number of pts they scored when the other team made so many errors. In both of those games the winner scored ZERO pts in the 4th qtr, if that's not calling off the dogs i dont know what is.

In 2002 & 2004 the horns played hard and tried to score for at least a whole half. I really don't care what the score is. I've been on the losing end in blowouts (as a player, fan, etc.), and i never held it against the teams who scored as much as they could in the first half. 2002's 27-0 isn't even that bad. who cares if their starters were in, they didnt score ANY pts in the second half! and i'm sry, but TX couldn't help but hang 65 on UNT in '04, they were a good team (rose bowl champs that year) and 7 of their 8 TDs were on the ground; so its not like they aired it out!

PS - I didn't know the board was yours, i guess i should know my place next time laugh.gif

I was surprised....and disappointed.....to see Texas run the fake punt on fourth down.  I thought it showed a lack of class to do that when your team was clearly better than your opponent and there was no chance of your losing the game.  This was balanced our, though, in the fourth quarter when Texas just ran the ball inside when they could easily have scored again.      I guess those things balance out.  Mack Brown was very complimentary of North Texas in his quotes after the game.  He indicated that this was a much better North Texas team than Texas had played two years ago.  I sure hope he is right.

The score at the point where they ran the fake punt was 28-7 and right after we came out and marched 80yds for the TD. There was no telling at this point what the final score was going to look like. I didn't think it showed a lack of class or anything on Mack's behalf, even during the game. Are they supposed to just let us climb back into the game, when they have a chance to put the dagger in the coffin?

Keep the situation in context...

NT has just driven the field on your starting defense to make it 28-7.  They followed that up with forcing your offense into a 3-and-out.  The last thing you want is NT to score again and get any semblance of momentum and starting to think they are in the game.  It was a gutsy move, and an excellent call at the time.

I agree very much with this statement

You said the starters came out in the second half, as if Mack was showing us mercy. They did not come out until the 4th quarter of a blowout, and twice in that second half they tried to convert of 4th downs. Now I could maybe see that ol' Mack was just trying to see what his team could do in different situations, but when, in the past, he has run the hurry up offense against us with 41 seconds on the clock in a 41-0 game in order to kick a field goal before halftime, you can probably see why I am a little suspicious of his motives. You know, the same guy who kept his starters in 2 years ago until he had scored 51 points to our zero, and kept the starters in until late in the 4th 4 years ago. But he gave us praise! Woo! Actions speak louder than words.

Don't try to downplay what actually happened, and then when that doesn't work out say he was just trying to make the team look good. "Trying to make the team look good" is just another way of saying "running up the score".

You're an idiot if your think Texas ran up the score or that Mack Brown is classless. If anything, I've always felt he was too classy. He needs to be meaner sometimes IMO. If there were starters in during the fourth quarter, which I doubt, it couldn't have been more than a couple at a time. Let me clue you in on a few finer points of college football.

When blowing out an inferior team late in the game, going for it on fourth down is showing MERCY! Punting or kicking a field goal would be classless. Do you understand this? By going for it, you are keeping the clock running, and giving the opponent a chance to take over on downs. If the other team doesn't stop it, you just keep running the ball and at the same time clock. Sometimes, a touchdown is scored because the inferior team can't even stop second and third team players. But the clock is run down as much as possible. This is the classy way to do it. Throwing late in the game of a blow out is not classy. Kicking field goals late in the game of a blow out is not classy. Going for it on fourth down with backups in is OK!!!!!!!!!!!! GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mad.gif

Calling a classy coach a classless prick is NOT CLASSY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mad.gif

Yes Playmaker, it was difficult to watch the points continue to roll up. Once the Horns began to separate late in the 2nd Qtr in terms of points, I turned to my friend and said that hopefully Mack would let his 2nd & 3rd teamers get some PT in the 2nd half to gain experience and not risk injury to starters. He informed me and was painfully correct in saying, no this probably not the case since early in the season and OSU coming to town next week. McCoy needs the work with first team. That proved to be true. Had UT scheduled SHSU next instead of OSU, my hopes might have been more accurate. Mack Brown is a total class person and coach, but yes, he is in a system (BCS) where he has to put points scored/victory margin over the feelings of the opponent. It is a cruel world out there.

Well, by your criteria, Mack Brown is indeed classless. Kicking field goals in blowout games is classless? See 2004 when Mack ran the hurry up offense with 41 seconds left in the half in order to kick a field goal just before halftime to make the score 44-0. Throwing the ball is classless? After UT ran the fake punt they scored on a 29 yard touchdown pass. BTW, that was from Colt McCoy to Limas Sweed, who aren't backups. And since they aren't backups, I guess them going for it was not OK, according to you.

Also, before you decide to clue anyone else in on the finer points of football, learn the rules of the game. Going for it on 4th down doesn't keep the clock running anymore than punting does.

Well, by your criteria, Mack Brown is indeed classless. Kicking field goals in blowout games is classless? See 2004 when Mack ran the hurry up offense with 41 seconds left in the half in order to kick a field goal just before halftime to make the score 44-0. Throwing the ball is classless? After UT ran the fake punt they scored on a 29 yard touchdown pass. BTW, that was from Colt McCoy to Limas Sweed, who aren't backups. And since they aren't backups, I guess them going for it was not OK, according to you.

Also, before you decide to clue anyone else in on the finer points of football, learn the rules of the game. Going for it on 4th down doesn't keep the clock running anymore than punting does.

You are seriously one helluva Texas hater lol. I bet you weren't whining when North Texas hammered Baylor 52-14 in '03. Did UNT run it up? Not in my opinion. Even though the game was clearly out of reach, UNT contunued to score TDs, but Baylor should have stopped them. The truth is that you will continue to state arguments that make little to no sense. You talked about TX kicking a FG at the end of the first half in '04, but the key term there is FIRST HALF. What should they do? Down it? That's a joke! You will find that just about everyone agrees that a team can score as much as they want in the 1st half and still have class. If the loser doesn't like it, they can do better next time.

Also, Texas' TD pass to Sweed in the 2nd half was a short hitch route, not a deep score attempt like the first TD he had. It's not Mack's fault that Sweed broke three tackles! Besdides, it was only 28-7 at that point, so it wasn't a blowout...yet.

You're right about one thing though, going for it on fourth doesn't run clock if you don't convert, but it does if you DO convert. That's what DalHornFan was saying. But not converting, despite the clock stopping, does give the ball to the other team. So, as usual, you failed to make an honest attempt at understanding someone else's point.

Edited by JuEv0splash