Message to the team

Harry

A few years back, that year's Mean Green stepped onto the field with the Longhorns and put up a defensive showing that included the UT QB taking several sacks. The UT offense had its share of trouble moving against a team that they were expected to march right over.

While that year's Mean Green lost that game, the team's defensive performance got the attention of the national media, hyped up our fans, and more importantly-

It really put the rest of the scheduled opponents on their toes; if this team can blast through UT's line, what will they do to our SBC line?

-Point?-

There's an opportunity to go out on that field and show what you're all made of. A chance to show the rest of the football world that 2-9 means nothing at the end of that season, and that the rest of the football world had better take notice...and maybe even run for the hills.

Go get 'em, Mean Green!

you know I would really think the LongJim would change is avatar and the FFR would change his signature.

its seem insincere to root for your team when you have their enemy in your post.

whatever.

GO MEAN GREEN!

FFR's signature is actually supporting the Mean Green. It's a frame-by-frame shot from the NT-tU game from 1988 where we were robbed of the win. The frames depict how clearly the tU player was out of bounds, although the official ruled it a touchdown. There was a really long thread on this a few weeks ago.

LongJim may support the horns, but I think he equally supports North Texas. LongJim, correct me if I'm wrong, graduated from University of Texas but follows the Mean Green as a Dentonite. Either way, he's a supporter, and we need all the support we can get.

Well I never thought I would be rootin against UT (my alma mater) , but GO MEAN GREEN!  Hopefully my son Bryant will see some playing time at TE.

Looking forward to seeing him at TE also. If it is any consolation to you, I grew up in Austin, spent many a Saturday in Memorial Stadium cheering for the Horns, and have two degrees from UT (as well as one from NT). I cheer for the Orange, but BLEED for the GREEN. I'll cheer for UT against anybody, but UNT.

Looking forward to seeing him at TE also. If it is any consolation to you, I grew up in Austin, spent many a Saturday in Memorial Stadium cheering for the Horns, and have two degrees from UT (as well as one from NT). I cheer for the Orange, but BLEED for the GREEN. I'll cheer for UT against anybody, but UNT.

Thanks......Two a days were awful tough, especially in the 100 plus degree heat. Saturday will be the pay off...as they play the National Champs. GMG

you know I would really think the LongJim would change is avatar and the FFR would change his signature.

Its seem insincere to root for your team when you have their enemy in your post.

whatever.

GO MEAN GREEN!

---I don't think you understand Rick's signature.... That is an old picture of UT scoring against us in 1988 when we "supposedly lost" by 24-27.. The problem is: we should have won because even the UT announcers thought he was out of bounds when that catch was made in the final min or two.. .. in short it was a bad call (one of many that day) that cost us the game. [see I actually defended Rick and I think he thinks I dislike him , which is not true]

---LongJim never supports UT over us.... I can't remember why he uses it but it makes sense.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

We are all behind you win or lose. Be proud to wear the Green and remember that you are following in the footsteps of some legends; Green, Renfro, Reece, Hardman, Haynes. As Tommy Lasorda once said:

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.

GMG!!!

Beat texas!!!

I echo the sentiment of Harry's eloquent email and the others and add a reminder of one of the greatest underdog victory stories of all times:

"Reaching into his shepherd's bag and taking out a stone, he hurled it from his sling and hit the Philistine in the forehead. The stone sank in, and Goliath stumbled and fell face downward to the ground. - 1 Samuel 17:49"

May the University of North Texas prevail over the overgrown Philistines of the University of (South) Texas!!!!!

Go Mean Green!!!!

I echo the sentiment of Harry's eloquent email and the others  and add a reminder of one of the greatest underdog victory stories of all times:

"Reaching into his shepherd's bag and taking out a stone, he hurled it from his sling and hit the Philistine in the forehead. The stone sank in, and Goliath stumbled and fell face downward to the ground. - 1 Samuel 17:49"

May the University of North Texas prevail over the overgrown Philistines of the University of (South) Texas!!!!! 

Go Mean Green!!!!

One on this forum said he hoped our players never read GMG.com because of player criticism. Honest to goodness, though, I don't see that much in the area of player criticism from GMG.com posters (and if I have read any toward our players I probably would ignore such).

For certain I don't (and have never) dissed any Mean Green football player inasmuch as my criticisms have been pointed to those who would lead our football players and those, ie, the UNT administration/BOR's who would lead those who lead our football players............. but nevermind all that because this is not the time and the place....

Yet to make what some of you might think will be another longer than the entire Old Testament diatribe I will say this:

BEAT THE HELL OUT OF THE TEXAS LONGHORNS! (and if at all possible--win the football game, too).

Those boys in Austin better have their chin straps on tight - our defense is going to be fired-up and ready to put some hurt on the longhorns.

Hey, if we can get the running game going, then it could be a decent game. I am really looking forward to seeing how the two QB's play on Saturday.

GO MEAN GREEN!!!

There's only 3 things that can make you people keep a thread positive for more than 3-4 posts in a row:

1) A player appreciation thread

2) Personal acknowledgement from RV or DD

3) A double digit win

Here's to all three

There's only 3 things that can make you people keep a thread positive for more than 3-4 posts in a row:

1) A player appreciation thread

2) Personal acknowledgement from RV or DD

3) A double digit win

Here's to all three

TO QUOTE RONALD REAGAN WHEN HE TOLD JIMMY CARTER IN A DEBATE..............."THERE YOU GO AGAIN....." or...........Here I go again--get your coffee and caffein fix now! tongue.gif

It really just depends on what one's definition of positive and negative is, Quoner. You are a young gun alum (or maybe you're still a UNT student) who has to drink from the fountain of what is being served to you by our present UNT leadership. FWIW, so do the rest of us at least for the moment. Quoner, we all have no choice but to drink what we are drinking from that fountain if we choose to drink from this fountain at all. I defer to the next paragraph.....

On a September evening at our state's capital city in 1976.................many of us on this board sat in UT's Memorial Stadium (now DKR Memorial Stadium) before a sellout crowd to watch (inside that stadium whose team was coached by its namesake) a Mean Green football team whereas the great Earl Campbell had to score a "toward the end of the game" touchdown to beat the University of North Texas by the score of 17 to 14. cool.gif

I really do believe there are a hardy handful on GMG.com who might call some of of us wanting to get back to those kind of competitive UT/UNT games here in the year of our Lord 2006 as being negative; that we should just fall in line with the rest of the blindly-led sheep herd and invest into all this status quo AND to just be happy with someone on campus's Big Talk about what we are going to do with UNT athletics but seeing no significant fund-raising that would create true believers with all the Big Talk. . blink.gif

Some on this forum may actually call other posters negative for having the audacity of wanting to see this football program gettting out of its present status of annual rankings of somewhere between #80 thru #117 at season's end and some of those kind of rankings after some bowl losses.

And now with our program which Sports Illustrated has put us on their pre-season Bottom 10 watch list. Sue us all if a handful of you so wish, but there are still many of us who would rather this football program get back to the days where we (once again) have the kind of back-to-back recruiting classes as to where our present and most valliant Mean Green football players (such as we have on the team this Fall) would have fellow teammates that would help them be competitive against schools like the University of Texas Longhorns this Saturday morning with its 11:00 AM national televised kick-off.

So if you want to call this post negative, so be it, but I know a helluva' bunch on this board who will read this post, many of them (& some of them from campus computers) read this anonymously which I always find to be very amusing rolleyes.gif you know, the ones who read PMG (and other's) posts without your ever seeing their names at the bottom of the page? tongue.gif BUT EVEN MANY OF THAT GROUP anonymous or not will still say a hearty AMEN to some of the thoughts expressed in this post because many of those registered members of GoMeanGreen.com have expressed similar thoughts thru the years. ohmy.gif

You see, Quoner, many of us on this forum have been to the mountain top and have gotten a glimpse of the NCAA D1-A Promised Land and once you've been there like many of you young gun alums unfortunately have not had a similar luxury, you just no longer want to accept lower goals or a lower profile co-existance that we have seen of late. sad.gif

JUST WHAT DO OLDER & EVEN MANY YOUNGER NT NESTORS WANT? We merely want to get back to having those NCAA D1-A mountain top experiences where we can see the Promised Land once again, and with all the booming growth resources we now have in Mean Green Country (compared to our much smaller NT constituencies of the 1970's), we want our UNT version of Moses, you know, as in someone who will not only lead us back to the mountain top but one who will take us all the way to the NCAA D1-A Promise Land this time around. End of sermon! Turn to your hymnals.............laugh.gif

BOTTOM LINE FOR PRESENT AND FUTURE MEAN GREEN FOOTBALL PLAYERS? I really have to think most (or all) on GMG.com want our present and future Mean Green players who sign their letters of intent with our alma mater, ie, the University of North Texas and an NCAA D1-A school; anyway, I feel we all would want our NT football players to have realistic chances on the gridiron against most of the other 116 schools who also play their college football at the NCAA D1-A level--that's all.

But you know what, Quoner (and others), it is also NOT "OUR" present Mean Green football players who are the ones who have the responsibility of going out there on the highways and hedges visiting the high schools of Greater Dallas-Fort Worth (one can hope, right? rolleyes.gif , the state of Texas and beyond recruiting the kind of talent who will give them (as Mean Green football players) all those chances to go into all those future 4'th quarters with realistic chances to be competitive and acutally win some of those games against the kind of OOC schedules UNT has traditionally played and has played for many decades.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

TO QUOTE RONALD REAGAN WHEN HE TOLD JIMMY CARTER IN A DEBATE..............."THERE YOU GO AGAIN....." or...........Here I go again--get your coffee and caffein fix now!  tongue.gif 

GMG!

One good rant deserves another....

See Plumm, you are passionate and consistent, and God bless you for it. I think I've even seen you post the same criticisms about people changing their tunes after meeting this or that person and being told nice things.

What seems to be developing recently is the new breed of NT fan.

This fan talks a great game and says all the right things, but is dogged by insecurity. This insecurity cannot be fixed by on field success, so it is translated as bravado, over the top bitterness, or a need to attack the other schools around them. This person might get indignant when schools like Tulsa and SMU are favored over us, or when we appear in the bottom 10, or any other part of our litany of reminders of our embarrassing place in the college football food chain.

Then the "ifs" come, "if" we had the money Texas had, or "if" the bandwagon of A&M, or "if" we had the car dealerships of OU, or "if" we had the blue-blooded gay uncle donating at SMU....then our smack talk starts reflecting this sense of wanting to belong, to seem like we have arrived simply because we wished real hard. This fan might donate $250, maybe even $500 and for damn sure they deserve to get theres. Because the other side of this is, since they know the die hard fan base is so small, they want to be rewarded for it. They want the AD to acknowledge them whenever possible, whether its by special meetings, recognition, access, or discounts. Rather than seeing themselves as part of something bigger, its a little more about them. Unfortunately, unless you are one of the 50 or so who gives the big money, you will not get this special treatment from most of the current staff. Its just not in there, um, nature.

so then the fan gets bitter about that too, and the depts many short-comings become even more magnified. Every screw up is not just incompetence, but a personal afront. Any casual mistake is a straight kick in the babymaker. The AD becomes a nice outlet for the overall frustration. They post whatever venom they want to and feel fine about it.

HOWEVER, if they by chance meet someone from the AD in person and get their recognition they want, they do back flips. You hate Dickey - unless he tosses you a beer at a picnic. You hate Ramon - until he slaps around your landlord. This is not addressed at you at all - you've been nothing but consistent since your state of the program epiphany months ago.

I spend most of this time around this board seeking to amuse myself, often at ya'lls expense, but I do want to see this program win. When the few diehards we have seem to spend most of their energy ripping apart what we have to each other, it helps no one. Its funny to sit back and watch, but no one benefits.

The entire school has a ton to improve on and has made trememdous strides recently. However, every part of my experience here was 2 or 3 peaks followed by a nice "bush-league" experience with an advisor, financial services, professors, athletics, or dorm life back in the day. The entire university is on its way, but there's just so much neglect and idiocy to fix that it will take years if not decades to address. Talking to professors, staff, other alumns, and students, I get the impression that the same things we complain about with athletics can be said about almost any other part of campus life.

Athletics is probably the place where the non-rich fan really has any say. Fans buy tickets, donate, and create the atmosphere. Other than this and our initial enrollment, UNT does not give us much consumer say in matters. for years, the consumer market has shrugged their shoulders at this choice and the university has followed suit. Many of those who attend want a congressional medal of honor for sticking through all the crap we've been put through. Unfortunately, that just won't happen with anyone here. I think someone else said this awhile ago, but if you support the program, the people around it will come and go.

We can still laugh at the play calling decisions or the random saturday payoff game asswhippings, but we could also cut out the rants and assignment of blame at other points. i'm not asking anyone to drink the kool aid, but good lord, the two faced fanbase swing is like a deadly virus that can turn us all into the half ass, lazy supporters SMU has.

Yes things suck, and I'm sorry the older alumns had to watch us go back to I-AA and then get screwed on some realignments, but it happened. Nothing can change years of crappy leadership. Either make a difference going forward or stick in this passive aggressive fandom mode where you want everything now, get slivers of it, then get more bitter.

You ask what I want - I want fans to man up and be fans and quit griping and feeling entitled, I want an admin that doesnt screw up everytime things move in the right direction, and I want to win a conf title, get to the NIT or NCAA in basketball, win 15-20 games in volleyball, have soccer win an NCAA game or two, and all other sports continue to improve as well.

That's not status quo.

And since that was serious, I'll close with this:

balls OO

We stand behind you no matter what! Can't be there Saturday, but we'll be cheering you on. I know you all will do your best, and the Mom in me has to say "be careful out there boys."

GMG!