Scrimmage Today

BIG DAWG

Why is everybody saying WW will get injured?

If you knwo him, have you seen him play? Anyone who has seen him play should be able to understand why everyone is afraid he is going to get hurt.

he is not fighting for 6 in. he is fighting for a TD

That is a great statement in theory, but a QB has to know what shots to take and what times it is better to get out of bounds. I am getting tired from all of this talk of him trying to prove himself, and he is trying to be a leader. It is going to be tought to lead by example in a body cast.

A QB mentality and a RB mentality are different, especially when Woody doesn't have the build to have a RB mentality.

Yes, he is a playmaker, and I don't want to take that away from him. Late in the game, go fight for those extra yards. In a scrimmage when you have to make a decision to get clobered or go out of bounds, go out of bounds.

Someone posted earlier, you need to practice like you play. I agree, play HARD and SMART, in practice just like you would in a game.

Going out of bounds to avoid a hit as a QB is not being lazy, or not playing hard. It is smart sometimes inorder to lead your team on the next play.

I agree with everybody he should go out of bounds. I don't like any Qb fighting for anything. but if that is his only downside compared to the othe two (or is it three now?) i want him.

Besides the Qb issue did anyone see anything else today?

DL?

LB?

Kickers?

anything besides the qb's which wont be for at least two years now. every time a guy stuggles we want the Freshman walk-on underdogg in the game.

If you knwo him, have you seen him play?  Anyone who has seen him play should be able to understand why everyone is afraid he is going to get hurt.

That is a great statement in theory, but a QB has to know what shots to take and what times it is better to get out of bounds.  I am getting tired from all of this talk of him trying to prove himself, and he is trying to be a leader.  It is going to be tought to lead by example in a body cast.

A QB mentality and a RB mentality are different, especially when Woody doesn't have the build to have a RB mentality. 

Yes, he is a playmaker, and I don't want to take that away from him.  Late in the game, go fight for those extra yards.  In a scrimmage when you have to make a decision to get clobered or go out of bounds, go out of bounds.

Someone posted earlier, you need to practice like you play.  I agree, play HARD and SMART, in practice just like you would in a game.

Going out of bounds to avoid a hit as a QB is not being lazy, or not playing hard.  It is smart sometimes inorder to lead your team on the next play.

Watch Vince Young. He knows when to go out of bounds (just before he gets hit). He loved to tuck and run too, but he used some sense about it. Young wouldn't been young sitting out with a knee injury.

I agree on Tune's arm strength....you're not going to question whether or not he's got a weak arm or a cannon b/c he seemed to have that rare ability to know when to throw a bullet and when not to.

That said, I don't know how anyone can list the QBs as Meager 1, Tune 2.....Tune played MUCH less than either WW or MP. He was stuck with the 3rd team Oline who couldn't get the ball snapped, or had false starts, holds, you name it. Until he gets some time with the 1st team, he can't be considered a threat to get any playing time and we are just 2 weeks from our first game. Right now, I would be perfectly fine with a QB rotation of Meager and WW. WW is a good change of pace player and seems to make decent enough decisions that he won't kill you with bad turnovers when he does come in. It was hard to get a gauge on his passing skills b/c the coaches called about 90% option read while he was on the field. I don't know if they were just trying to get more reps in on those plays or if that's how they plan to use him.

Our oline looks much improved over last year outside of the fumbled snaps. Our dline, on the other hand, is going to get malled again. We need I. Thomas and it looks like the loss of Gilmore is going to hurt--esp. since Ransom can't seem to get on the field. Maurice Holman was the bright spot of the defense.

Why is everybody saying WW will get injured? To me the most vulnerable Qb is the one who sits in the pocket to long.

No, the most vulnerable QB is the one who keeps getting injured and can never seem to get healthy...

That aside, Dickey seems to be much more involved this year and had the quote of the day when he said something like "Do you wanna !@#$% go 2-9?!"

Our kicking game is awful, we had too many blocks and our kickers drive the ball and don't have enough lift...reminds me of Baz's first year

Fumbled snaps are a huge problem! If you can't start the play off right you can't finish the play

How I would rank the QBs:

1. Wilson - good mobility, decent arm, but reckless

2. Tune - This guy really looks like a future star QB, would like to seem him with the first team, but will probably be redshirted unless injuries hit. Tune to Gill will replace Hall to Blount

3. Meager - Would probably be #1 if he were healthy but he never seems to be

4. Phillips - My pick to start against Texas was awful yesterday. Poor decisions over and over. Lacks velocity on his throws

I have an interesting thought. I think a lot of our plays are poorly designed or poorly executed. When you watch our pass patterns the receivers seem to all be in the same area making it easier to defend against and making our QB spend too long in the pocket. It also seems we have several plays where only 2 receivers are going down field. I can't tell if the receivers are not running their routes correctly or if the play really calls for them to be 5 yds apart. Thoughts?

Esteban Santiago was playing NT with the first team I think. Big guy, a tad slow in the footwork, but looks pretty good for a freshman. That said we need Ike Thomas in there, he is the difference maker...

Robertson is pretty dang good and should be backing up Jamario. Jamario did not play very much and did not show too much...Hopefully he will be healthy for Texas. The new kid #21 at running back looked like a bruiser, was deceptively fast and made good moves.

Gill is awesome...he seems to be open a lot and caught the ball just about everytime...

good gosh can we get our logo on the 50?!

both lines looked better than last year

Edited by the green rokemi

How I would rank the QBs:

1. Wilson - good mobility, decent arm, but reckless

2. Tune - This guy really looks like a future star QB, would like to seem him with the first team, but will probably be redshirted unless injuries hit. Tune to Gill will replace Hall to Blount

3. Meager - Would probably be #1 if he were healthy but he never seems to be

4. Phillips - My pick to start against Texas was awful yesterday. Poor decisions over and over. Lacks velocity on his throws

This is my ranking (and near exact thoughts) as well. Though Meager could jump Tune with a little health and good play in practice.

Edited by Zeke

Other than Gill how did the freshman look?

It seems like a lot of our freshman lineman were already playing with the second team defense/offense. I really do think that class will payoff by next year and could be the foundation for another possible 4 year conference run...

Edited by the green rokemi

What about Agani Banks?

Ajani Banks looks pretty good, it did seem his conditioning and footwork weren't great, but it was hard to tell as the heat is ridiculous...

I also noticed that our running backs are still slipping on the new turf when then make cuts, that is not good in my opinion as our ground game is key to us winning and Jamario needs to be able to cut

He's not nicknamed "Mayday" Meager for nothing.  It's sad because I think he would start if he could stay 100% and be really good for our offense...

I'm putting my money on Mayday to start the UT game. Arguably his best game last year was the LSU game...so he's already proven that he's not easily shaken in hostile environments. That, and I didn't see anything from anyone else on Saturday to displace him as the starter. Reading the paper today, DD commented that Mayday was doing very well and was just held out for precautionary reasons after a big hit on Friday...said his stock will not fall b/c of the missed scrimmage.

What about Agani Banks?

This is a good question and one I'd like to see answered by our insiders. He seemed to be floating back and forth between 1st and 2nd team, starting the scrimmage for the 2nd team oline. What gives?? He's huge!

That said, the most encouraging thing about seeing this team in person is seeing all the freshman. I didn't see an undersized player in the bunch and Foster and Drake are both already as big or bigger than just about everyone other than Banks.

Was last weeks said injury the result of a hit?  If so was the hit a result of him turning back into the D or fighting for 6 extra inches?

Don't know. All of our QBs, besides Tune, have been injured this camp at some point. I read where Jmo now has a sprained ankle. Just the nature of the sport I guess. None of the QBs have really outshown the rest so it doesn't matter to me who starts, the next guy won't be much better or worse. Besides JQ I don't see the offense shining too much this season. Maybe we have new gimmick plays that will surprise? Let's hope the Defense keeps em close for a long time.

It seems like a lot of our freshman lineman were already playing with the second team defense/offense.  I really do think that class will payoff by next year and could be the foundation for another possible 4 year conference run...

What about Kail Krider? Is he in the mix or way overmatched?