How good are we going to be?

Bearclaw

Someone give me a realistic idea of how we are going to be this year?  After jumping on the bandwagon for the past several years, I got disappointed by a 2-9 campaign.  Can we just beat SMU?  Can we beat them like we did Baylor at home?  Someone give me an idea....

My prediction... the same as last year. Maybe a one or two game difference. I have nothing to go on to think otherwise.

Man, I hope I am wrong!

You know what I think it is.... I think i am finally starting to buy what DD has been selling. He seems so apathetic, non-caring, and depressing about our program and it is contagious. I find no fire, leadership, "give 'em hell" attitude, "win-at-all cost" desire, or "going beyond the call of duty" effort. Hearing this same complaint from several others who have played all four years and started in several of those seasons under DD only solidifies my notions. After years of putting down the fans, program, and university it is hard to go into a season coached by him optimistically.

Edited by Travis

I already predicted 4-7 in a previous thread. I know SMU is a big game and a regional rival but I dont see that being a huge crucial game this season IF we want to go bowling this year and heres why:

Realistically speaking there's a very good chance of us going 0-3 or 0-4. I don't see the UT or Tulsa game being close. I hope I'm wrong about this but I don't see us winning against SMU either. Historically DD doesn't start off the season in a winning fashion, and from recent experience I wouldn't be surprised at all if the SMU game is close in the first half but due to lack of half time adjustments we end up losing it in the 4th quarter (Example: third and long, 8 men in the box and we run a draw play).

This season I think the game at Akron and the game against Arkansas State is going to be the two games that could turn around a disasterous season into a winning season. If we do blow the first three games and beat Akron, that could instill enough confidence in the squad to beat MTSU and FIU. Another big win at Arkansas State puts us over .500, and then we only need to win 2 out of the next 5 games to be bowl eligable. I know a SMU loss would be huge, but because of the time and placement the Akron game could be bigger in terms of turning around the season. I'm also not counting how huge the loss would be to SMU for recruiting. I'm just counting how big it would be in terms of momentum and getting a winning streak started.

I already picked 4-7 and stick with that pick, but if we were to go bowling the first half of the season would most likely go down like this:

L Texas

L SMU

L Tulsa

W Akron - Timely win, gives team hope of turning around the season.

W MTSU - Another crucial win, MTSU will be gunning for us.

W FIU - A must win

W ASU - Big critical game, looks like we are a serious contender for the belt if we win this

I want to see how banged up we are after two a days, but early on it looks like offensively (minus TE) we will be O.K. Defense is a big ?.

Is it possible that our games turn into a "Whoever scores last wins" scenario, ala TTech?

I suggest looking back at the breakdown of the team on previous threads by the admin of this board. It seemed pretty concise and very helpful. On that note, Thank you Harry, Illuvious and the rest of the gang for the free reports.

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!

BEAT THE HELL OUT OF TEXAS!!!!!!!!!

Hearing this same complaint from several others who have played all four years and started several in several of those seasons under DD only solidifies my notions.

What players? I have gotten the feeling that ex-players have had nothing but good things to say about their time with DD and NT.

Way too early to even begin making season predictions, unless you're prepared to take them with a HUGE lump of salt. Season could be anything from 5-7 to 11-1, in my estimation. I don't see us beating Texas, but there isn't another unwinnable on the schedule. Akron, La Tech, Tulsa, and SMU are hardly Texas, Alabama, TCU, and Arizona. While I don't want to predict a win, I don't think any of them are out of reach. Likewise, the conference win column will be as big or small as the play we get from QB. If Matt Phillips from spring ball shows up, I think we are favored in every Sun Belt game we play.

Wait and see, Bearclaw. Season could go either way at this point, and that won't change until we see the product on the field starting this Monday.

I love how many fans think we are only playing 11 games or they can't do math, pay attention folks. Yes 12 is the magic Number

illuvius32 is the only one in this thread to get it right so far, a very solid fan by comparison.

1)Sat, Sep 02 Texas at Austin, Texas...........................11 a.m.

2)Sat, Sep 09 SMU Denton, Texas...............................6 p.m.

3)Sat, Sep 16 Tulsa at Tulsa, Oklahoma.........................6 p.m.

4)Sat, Sep 23 Akron at Akron, Ohio................................5 p.m.

5)Sat, Sep 30 Middle Tennessee Denton, Texas..........6 p.m.

6)Sat, Oct 07 Florida International Denton, Texas......6 p.m.

7)Sat, Oct 21 Arkansas St. at Jonesboro, Arkansas........6 p.m.

8)Sat, Oct 28 Troy at Troy, Alabama................................6 p.m.

9)Sat, Nov 04 Louisiana Tech Denton, Texas...............6 p.m.

10)Sat, Nov 11 Louisiana-Lafayette at Lafayette, La......4 p.m.

11)Sat, Nov 18 Florida Atlantic Denton, Texas.............6 p.m.

12)Sat, Nov 25 Louisiana-Monroe at Monroe, La.............6 p.m.

I think we will be lucky to win two games this year, any more is just bonus to me.

That is 2-10. I do hope illuvius32 is right but my gut says otherwise.

Way too early to even begin making season predictions...

No, not really given historical verity. Seems like we have many of the same questions...even given the opportunity of the past year to gain experience.

Just like this time last year, we could be good...we could be bad. Quid est veritas?

Edited by NCMeanGreen

To me, it's really going to come down to the play of the OL, DL, and the QB.

If there is significant improvement in those areas, then UNT has a good chance for a very successful season, IMO.

BTW, although we weren't speaking of smack-talk, I'm guessing everyone's aware that there are only 2 Texas D1 schools with more NCAA National Championships than UNT?

And that UNT has as many NCAA National Championships as TCU, Texas Tech, and aTm combined?

Edited by LongJim

KingDL1 & PlummMeanGreen: We're dead! We're dead! We survived but we're dead!

Harry: Stop it, both of you! We are not going to die! Now, you will both get a grip or so help me, I'll ground you for a month. Understand?

harry-

I agree w/ you on your assesment of how Jamario goes, so does our team...but, I can't stop thinking about the New Orleans bowl a couple years ago.  In that second half, even Jamario couldn't get by the 8 and 9 man fronts and that was w/ a senior qb.  I hope you are right.

Exactly. We didn't go 11-1 during Jamario's great freshman season. The reason for that is that it takes more than one player to make an 11-1 team. So even if Jamario returns to his form of 2004 it is going to take a drastic improvement from the entire team just to go 7-5 like we did in 2004, let alone 11-1 like some people are predicting. Under the current leadership and with the players they will have available to them I don't think that kind of drastic improvement is probable.

Edited by GreenEddieNT

No, not really given historical verity.  Seems like we have many of the same questions...even given the opportunity of the past year to gain experience. 

Just like this time last year, we could be good...we could be bad.  Quid est veritas?

Maybe, but how are you going to make predictions on how the team will do this next season without seeing the players on that team first? That sounds kinda silly to me.

Exactly. We didn't go 11-1 during Jamario's great freshman season. The reason for that is that it takes more than one player to make an 11-1 team. So even if Jamario returns to his form of 2004 it is going to take a drastic improvement from the entire team just to go 7-5 like we did in 2004, let alone 11-1 like some people are predicting. Under the current leadership and with the players they will have available to them I don't think that kind of drastic improvement is probable.

No-one that I recall has predicted 11-1. I said they could go 11-1 if Jamario was back.

The Southern Miss game was a complete lack of preparation and halftime adjustments. Yes they gave us 8-9 man fronts and no we didn't take advantage of it in the passing game. Scott either held it too long or we dropped passes that we should have caught (Blount, Quinn others). Our defense played admirably expecially in the second half of that game but our offense just couldn't capitalize. That game was one of the worst gameplan and adjustment displays I have ever seen.

You look at our schedule this year and frankly it is one of the best in terms of games we should be competitive in that I can recall. Texas is the national champion, and Tulsa/Akron/SMU/La Tech will be salty but still is there a game other than Texas that we don't have a chance to win IF - and I realize that is a BIG if - Jamario can expose defenses?

I realize that J-Mo can't do it on his own, but if he is able we have more weapons then we did in the past, especially at wide receiver.

If Jamario can chew up clock with long drives it will help our defense and give them time to gel.

I loved Scott Hall and I do believe he is a first ballot Hall of Famer at UNT. But Hall did not possess the athletic ability of say a Woody Wilson or Daniel Meager. These are guys that can hurt you with their legs. And he did not have the rifle arm of Matt Phillips either. If just one of these 3 QB's can put it together and J-Mo plays well we could do some damage offensively.

There are MAJOR question marks this season but if Jamario is back it could be pretty fun.

I think that Jamario's success hinges on the QB and the OL. If the opposition knows the QB won't make any passes, they'll sit on the run all night since they won't have to worry about the ball coming through the air. But, the odds of passing being successful are also dependent on the OL giving the QB at least a second or two to get the ball going.

This whole season is a big [?] for me right now, but I'm certain it'll be better than last.

I loved Scott Hall and I do believe he is a first ballot Hall of Famer at UNT.  But Hall did not possess the athletic ability of say a Woody Wilson or Daniel Meager.  These are guys that can hurt you with their legs.  And he did not have the rifle arm of Matt Phillips either.   If just one of these 3 QB's can put it together and J-Mo plays well we could do some damage offensively.

Whoa! I rarely, EVER disagree with Sir. Myers but I'll have to here. Spencer Stack had a cannon of an arm and a big heart to boot. Jonathon Ieans has more athletic ability of any QB that has ever put on a Mean Green uniform and they both join numerous other QB's we've seen over the years in Denton with great abilities, great this, great that, yet never led this team to anything. Most importanly, none of them possess what Scott Hall had and that is all things combined, which is the most difficult thing to find in a QB.

Hall had respect from his teammates, he was tougher than most players on the field, maybe one of the toughest guy's I've ever seen as he played with incredible pain and injuries. He could lay the ball on the outside hip of Andy Blount on any out route as sweet as I've ever seen a QB do and although he did't possess a great deep ball he could still hook up with his recievers down the sidelines or throw a deep jump to Quinn because he had that unique ability to communicate with his players. He didn't possess blazing speed, but he was quick and could avoid a rush and when he had to he could tuck it and stick his nose in a meat grinder for that extra yard without even thinking about it. Scall Hall was the rare find for us plain and simple. He was a Field General with a nose for winning. It made him sick to lose and I think that affected his play.

Personally, I don't want my QB beating someone with their legs, or their arm. I want them to beat them with their mind. It seems most of the great QB's with the most skins on their walls were never the most talented, physically. I'm not saying either of our current QB's don't possess that or that they don't possess the leadership that Hall did but if you base it on last season Meager is going to have to find more accuracy and Phillips will have to find some legs to avoid the rush. Truth be told, last year was not an overall fair assesment of them as they both were running for their lives most of the season, and we know they all bring something to the table. But neither has proven that they possess all the qualities combined that Hall did. And that's unfortunately unfair for both of them coming in Hall's shadow. I hate to even compare the three because finding one guy that has all the abilties is so rare. Hopefully this is the year, much like 2000' when Hall emerged, that one of our current QB's emerges as the new Field General.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Whoa!  I rarely, EVER disagree with Sir. Myers but I'll have to here.  Spencer Stack had a cannon of an arm and a big heart to boot.  Jonathon Ieans has more athletic ability of any QB that has ever put on a Mean Green uniform and they both join numerous other QB's we've seen over the years in Denton with great abilities, great this, great that,  yet never led this team to anything.  Most importanly, none of them possess what Scott Hall had and that is all things combined, which is the most difficult thing to find in a QB. 

Hall had respect from his teammates, he was tougher than most players on the field, maybe one of the toughest guy's I've ever seen as he played with incredible pain and injuries.    He could lay the ball on the outside hip of Andy Blount on any out route as sweet as I've ever seen a QB do and although he did't possess a great deep ball he could still hook up with his recievers down the sidelines or throw a deep jump to Quinn because he had that unique ability to communicate with his players.  He didn't possess blazing speed, but he was quick and could avoid a rush and when he had to he could tuck it and stick his nose in a meat grinder for that extra yard without even thinking about it.  Scall Hall was the rare find for us plain and simple.  He was a  Field General with a nose for winning.  It made him sick to lose and I think that affected his play.

Personally, I don't want my QB beating someone with their legs, or their arm.  I want them to beat them with their mind.  It seems most of the great QB's with the most skins on their walls were never the most talented, physically.  I'm not saying either of our current QB's don't possess that or that they don't possess the leadership that Hall did but if you base it on last season Meager is going to have to find more accuracy and Phillips will have to find some legs to avoid the rush.  Truth be told, last year was not an overall fair assesment of them as they both were running for their lives most of the season, and we know they all bring something to the table.  But neither has proven that they possess all the qualities combined that Hall did.  And that's unfortunately unfair for both of them coming in Hall's shadow.  I hate to even compare the three because finding one guy that has all the abilties is so rare.  Hopefully this is the year, much like 2000' when Hall emerged, that one of our current QB's emerges as the new Field General.

Rick

Damn good post.

Oh, and my response to Harry and anyone who say that the season hinges on Jamario Thomas: Go ahead and book your vacation packages to this year's New Orleans Bowl....or wait, if we go 11-1 could we possibly get a better bowl game?