Rhett Bomar dismissed from team?

Green Crazy

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/foot...d.ap/index.html

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- Oklahoma starting quarterback Rhett Bomar will not play for the Sooners this season following an investigation by the team, according to a television report.

Oklahoma confirmed that two players had been dismissed by the team but did not identify them. The school said in a statement that the players violated NCAA rules by working at a private business and taking "payment over an extended period of time in excess of time actually worked."

Oklahoma City television station KWTV reported that Bomar, who set an Oklahoma freshman record with 2,018 passing yards after taking over as the Sooners' starter in the second game last season, was one of the two players who had been permanently dismissed.

"We spend a considerable amount of time addressing our players regarding their personal conduct and the NCAA rules," head coach Bob Stoops said in a statement. "They know exactly what we expect from them. Ultimately, they have to make right decisions. The same holds true for our boosters. When they do not, the consequences are serious, and we will not tolerate this behavior.

"Our team and university actions are necessary because of the intentional participation and knowledge of the student athletes in these violations," Stoops said.

A top-rated recruit out of high school, Bomar redshirted his first season while 2004 Heisman Trophy winner Jason White completed his career. Bomar lost a quarterback competition to Paul Thompson last fall, but was named the starter after the Sooners lost to TCU in the first week.

He started Oklahoma's final 11 games and completed 54 percent of his passes, while throwing 10 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. Oklahoma finished 2005 by winning six of its final seven games, including a victory against Oregon in the Holiday Bowl.

"I firmly believe that our program is stronger than any individual player and that a championship program cannot compromise its values," Stoops said in the statement.

Man, that SUCKS. I imagine my roommate is NOT happy right now.

The OU football program should probably distance themselves from that car dealership. Just a thought...

And seriously, Id love to feel bad for the guys, but as coach bob said, they should know what they can and cant do. pure stupidity and poor judgement. Bomar seems to posses quite a penchant for such behavior...

oh, and...

user posted image

Edited by Eagle1855

I have been flipping out about this for hours. I guess I forgot to post it. what an idiot Bomar is. this is the same guy that got caught drinking (under age) courtside at the New Orleans game In Oklahoma City.

I saw Bomar play in high school and talked to alot of guys on the Grand Prarie squad who knew him. All of them pretty much agreed hes an arrogant jerk whos over rated. Looks like not alot changed after high school.

If it is Big Red imports that they were involved with it's even more funny to me because the big sports radio station in oklahoma is a big advertizer of theirs and they even hold almost all of the afternoon shows from their showroom....what a bunch of dumbasses...including the biggest one of all bomar

How is this not a serious NCAA violation for OU?? Wouldn't they immediately be subject to losing scholarchips, post season play, etc..????

If it was UNT or any other non-BCS school yes, but since OU kicked these guys off and probably cost themselves a BCS bowl bid, then the NCAA-***** will probably go light on them if there even is a penalty. dry.gif

If it was UNT or any other non-BCS school yes, but since OU kicked these guys off and probably cost themselves a BCS bowl bid, then the NCAA-***** will probably go light on them if there even is a penalty.  dry.gif

well, the NCAA has been notified, and will be conducting an investigation as to the extent of the offenses. I wouldnt say they are out of the clear just because the kicked a few people off. This thing may end up being a much bigger deal. News JUST broke on this, so dont write off the NCAA just yet...

and Im not being an apologist, Im just wary of jumping... to conclusions. Its a jump... to conclusions mat. I digress...

Hartley--PK

DJ Wolfe--starting CB...

This is looking like the tip of the iceberg... blink.gif

Latest from Tulsa World:

OU dismisses starting quarterback

By JOHN HOOVER World Sports Writer

8/2/2006 4:25:00 PM

Quarterback Rhett Bomar's dismissal from the University of Oklahoma football team on Wednesday is the result of an ongoing NCAA investigation, a source within the athletic department said.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, the source said the investigation has continued “for a while now,” and offered details of Bomar's and offensive lineman J.D. Quinn's alleged employment at Norman auto dealer Big Red Sports and Imports.

The NCAA has been investigating this for about four or five months ago, the source said.

“As far as I know, (Bomar and Quinn) were just going into Big Red, clocking in and collecting a check. The bookmaking at Big Red was made to make it look OK, but now Big Red's been taken over (purchased) by someone else and the s--- has hit the fan.

“They collected big checks. Huge checks.”

The university recently concluded a rigorous NCAA investigation into excessive phone calls made by former basketball coach Kelvin Sampson and his staff. One of the most damning charges by the NCAA -- lack of institutional control -- was dropped by the NCAA enforcement staff. A lesser charge of failure to monitor was assessed by the infractions committee.

“The NCAA's been after us a while,” the source said. “They're not going to

hit us as hard as USC. But they're going to be watching us.”

Stoops said during his annual media golf outing Monday that he expected no personnel surprises when the team reported for preseason practices on Wednesday, but Bomar and Quinn were formally dismissed from the team when the school issued a press release Wednesday morning.

The press release did not name the players and said no further comment would come from the school or the team until after the first practice Thursday evening.

The press release said the dismissals were permanent and that the players would not be allowed to return to the OU team at any time in the future.

Bomar's mother, Patty Bomar, told the Tulsa World, “I'm not going to comment. I'm not going to. I can't right now,” and terminated the call on her cell phone.

A voicemail message left with Bomar's father was not returned.

According to the release, an internal investigation by the university revealed the players accepted payment over an extended period of time in excess of time actually worked. They received extra compensation beyond that to which they were entitled for employment at “a private business,” which is a direct violation of NCAA rules.

“We spend a considerable amount of time addressing our players regarding their personal conduct and the NCAA rules,” Stoops said in the press release. “They know exactly what we expect from them. Ultimately, they have to make right decisions. The same holds true for our boosters. When they do not, the consequences are serious, and we will not tolerate this behavior.

“Our team and university actions are necessary because of the intentional participation and knowledge of the student athletes in these violations,” Stoops said.

“I firmly believe that our program is stronger than any individual player and that a championship program cannot compromise its values,” he added. “We are proud to represent a university with the highest possible principles,” Stoops said in a press release from OU.

University president David L. Boren also commented in the release.

“I strongly support the decision of coach Stoops,” Boren said. “Coach Stoops has done the right thing. His action reflects the basic values of our University While this situation is deeply disappointing, the university is sending a clear and unmistakable message that OU will never compromise its high ethical standards or its integrity.

“We share the sadness about this situation with our fans and players who have followed the rules, but we believe in our program and in this team, which we know will carry on in the great Sooner tradition.”

Athletic director Joe Castiglione said, “I am disappointed in these student-athletes. The education process is something that we take very seriously. We talk about it frequently and include guidelines in many of our printed materials. In the end, individuals must decide right and wrong for themselves and then live with the consequences. Unfortunately, many more people who themselves play by the rules are also affected by these consequences.”

Big Red Sports and Imports was the target of another OU internal investigation last winter. The school revealed in April that running back Adrian Peterson -- a frontrunner for the Heisman Trophy this season and a Heisman runner-up in 2004 -- used a Big Red vehicle free of charge for some six weeks.

Peterson reportedly tried to purchase a pre-owned Lexus last November, and drove it for several weeks without paying any money to the dealer. He ultimately returned the car when Peterson's mother and stepfather determined the family could not afford payments.

OU conducted a five-month review and determined that no NCAA compliance bylaws had been violated.

“Based on the information we have gathered,” senior associate athletic director for administration Keith Gill said in April, “we do not believe NCAA rules violations have occurred.”

Edited by LongJim

If the dealership, or anyone associated with the dealership, was part of this violation and OU monetary supports, won't those individuals be banned from any OU sporting event? Like forever?

And Pettersen drives around in a Lexus for six freakin weeks and no one at OU notices this? ph34r.gif Particulary the coaching staff? ph34r.gif

Doesn't this open the door for players to simply "look" at cars by test driving them around for six weeks at a time and then turning them in when the parents they can't afford the payment? Time to move on to the next dealer....surely Norman has a BMW dealership. Nah, I think I want to test drive that Infinity FX45 for a while.

Edited by DeepGreen