If Coach Franchione does not

eulesseagle

If Texas A & M Coach Franchione has another sub .500 season --- and he already is 16-19, will A & M fire him??

If North Texas does not have the predicted 7-4 season as College Football News predicts and we have another sub .500 season would our admin fire Coach Dickey and go after Franchione??

Nobody thought that Mike Price would end up at UTEP and Stolch (sp) at Ohio.

Yes, Fran will be fired.

Maybe Dickey would be fired.

And 'Hell No' to Fran coming to NT. Every person I have met that played for him has nothing positive to say about him. In my opinion, he rode LT to success at TCU, and has really done nothing since then. There is no excuse for being at A&M, having the recruits available to you that they do, and not being able to get m ore than one winning season. And the way he handled the bama thing was really lousy.

Yes, Fran will be fired.

Maybe Dickey would be fired.

And 'Hell No' to Fran coming to NT. Every person I have met that played for him has nothing positive to say about him. In my opinion, he rode LT to success at TCU, and has really done nothing since then. There is no excuse for being at A&M, having the recruits available to you that they do, and not being able to get m ore than one winning season. And the way he handled the bama thing was really lousy.

I tend to agree with this.

Like my staunch old aggie brother-in-law said, "Franchione is nothing more than a WAC level coach trying to make it in the Big 12". Although I've seen lower level coaches move up and make it in the "big time", I have to agree with his assessment of coach Fran.

In my opinion, less than a winning season and/or a bid to one of the better bowls, Francione will be fired. And no, I wouldn't want him at NT. I'd rather have Slocum.

Edited by DeepGreen

Like my staunch old aggie brother-in-law said, "Franchione is nothing more than a WAC level coach trying to make it in the Big 12".  Although I've seen lower level coaches move up and make it in the "big time", I have to agree with his assessment of coach Fran.

In my opinion, less than a winning season and/or a bid to one of the better bowls, Francione will be fired. And no, I wouldn't want him at NT.  I'd rather have Slocum.

I'd take a coach who could get us to WAC level.

You guys crack me up!! Everyone (maybe not the specific members who have already posted in this thread, but everyone, in general) complains about DD and his shortcomings in OOC games. Everyone talks about how they would love to have a "high-profile" coach at North Texas..one with a proven track record and sustained recruiting success. Francione fits that description but you would be opposed to hiring him because...why???

Just for the record, I know very little about Francione as a person and have no opinion on his coaching ability. But, I feel Francione is a recognized and respected name in the D-1 ranks and I think he would boost the football program in terms of excitement, media coverage and recruiting.

It's all a moot point anyway because UNT could never get Francione as a head coach.

Edited by gangrene

You guys crack me up!!  Everyone (maybe not the specific members who have already posted in this thread, but everyone, in general) complains about DD and his shortcomings in OOC games.  Everyone talks about how they would love to have a "high-profile" coach at North Texas..one with a proven track record and sustained recruiting success.  Francione fits that description but you would be opposed to hiring him because...why???

Just for the record, I know very little about Francione as a person and have no opinion on his coaching ability.  But, I feel Francione is a recognized and respected name in the D-1 ranks and I think he would boost the football program in terms of excitement, media coverage and recruiting. 

It's all a moot point anyway because UNT could never get Francione as a head coach.

I don't think he's all that well-respected in the coaching community. Aside from his flop at TAMU, he really gave Bama the short end of the deal. Long story short: Bama was facing some sactions for violations and Franchione told them he'd stick by them. Two weeks or so later, he's the new HC at TAMU. No one looks fondly upon people who are two-faced.

Yes, he does provide some media coverage, but if you've noticed, they don't talk about TAMU nearly as much as they used to. R.C. Slocum was an excellent coach who perhaps lost his edge a bit towards the end. But regardless, his teams never played as poorly as Fran's.

Also, I think it's just a wee bit premature to begin talking about a new coach (let's at least wait until week 3). But...I do want to keep my eye on a few possibilities. Here's a link to CFN's "Top 50 Coaches" ranked in a hypothetical poll of who you might hire should you suddenly become an AD for a university with a D-1 football program. Unfortunately, I think UNT would have a hard time luring any of these guys:

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/2006/Co...Education_2.htm

I don't think he's all that well-respected in the coaching community. Aside from his flop at TAMU, he really gave Bama the short end of the deal. Long story short: Bama was facing some sactions for violations and Franchione told them he'd stick by them. Two weeks or so later, he's the new HC at TAMU. No one looks fondly upon people who are two-faced.

Yes, he does provide some media coverage, but if you've noticed, they don't talk about TAMU nearly as much as they used to. R.C. Slocum was an excellent coach who perhaps lost his edge a bit towards the end. But regardless, his teams never played as poorly as Fran's.

I think he is not as down on everyone's list as the objective fans who let their cling-on role in the TAMU/UT rivalry (every one of you has picked a side in this state rivalry - your posts reflect it whether you admit it or not) like to think.

He had a divided locker room that is only now restored for this season. He had leaders who couldn't lead (McNeal) and didn't seem interested in doing anything close to it. The teams around the Big 12 got good right at the end of Slocum's tenure - no one in the Big 12 South was winning national titles in the 90s. Judge him on this year - if he fails to deliver, fine. But Fran would be a great addition for us - anyone who argues otherwise is being shortsighted.

The Alabama incident is unexecusable, but from those I knew who played for him at TCU they loved playing for him - but the double cross is what brings all the ill will - regardless of how much they enjoyed the experience in the mean time.

Oh, and compared to our's, Slocum's playbook is as complicated as Urban Meyers.

IMHO, Coach Fran would be a good fit for UNT.

1. Hopefully, all coaches are looking to move up the ladder of D-1A. I am sure that Coach Dickey would like to move up the D-1A ladder. Other than Coach Fry name one UNT coach that took the next big step up the D-1A ladder after departing the hollowed grounds of Fouts Field. Fouts Field is like the last stop in a once promising college football journey that has taken unsuspecting football families to a place called the Twilight Zone.

2. Some coaches like Mike Price or Frank Solich (sp) may have learned valuable lessons with their previous employers and their current universities are glad to have them and I am sure that the Prices and Solich families are glad that they have a second chance, even though it is in the mid-majors.

3. Coach Fran, who makes more than a cool million per year faced with making nothing or $250,000 may consider an offer from a lowly mid-major like UNT.

4. So what if he only stays 3 or 4 years at UNT.....do you really expect any UNT coach to have a tenure longer than that (other than Coach Dickey)?

5. Remember......when Coach Fry left to go to Iowa.....UNT had an overall winning record......in the post Coach Fry era UNT has won about 47% of our games.....not too impressive. Coach Dickey is something like 38-55 at UNT.

6. I would support UNT getting a "name coach" who people refused to give a second chance. IMHO, this would be better than getting another OC or AC or some high school coach. Price has turned around UTEP. In BB, Coach Knight has turned around TT.

I think he is not as down on everyone's list as the objective fans who let their cling-on role in the TAMU/UT rivalry (every one of you has picked a side in this state rivalry - your posts reflect it whether you admit it or not) like to think.

He had a divided locker room that is only now restored for this season. He had leaders who couldn't lead (McNeal) and didn't seem interested in doing anything close to it. The teams around the Big 12 got good right at the end of Slocum's tenure - no one in the Big 12 South was winning national titles in the 90s. Judge him on this year - if he fails to deliver, fine. But Fran would be a great addition for us - anyone who argues otherwise is being shortsighted.

The Alabama incident is unexecusable, but from those I knew who played for him at TCU they loved playing for him - but the double cross is what brings all the ill will - regardless of how much they enjoyed the experience in the mean time.

I think that Aggies regard most of that as excuses. Fran has brought in some very, very heralded recruiting classes that were loaded with JUCOs that should have helped out immediately. Some of those didn't pan out, and others aren't with the team anymore. I think that Fran will have to have a winning record this year, and beat either OU or UT. Of course the way they are turning things around in Waco; they could really de-rail Fran.

Personally, I think Fran is a helluva recruiter; but is not earning his money as a gameday coach.

Devil = Fran?????

Mike Price = wins for UTEP

Bobby Knight = wins in BB for TT

Barry Schwitzer = wins for OU

Rick Neuheisel = wins for CU

who is not to say that Fran = wins for UNT (if this works out....just hypothetical)

Meaning no disrespect but what we have now = 38-55

So what if we get one of the "bad boys of college football." Sounds like you want to bring in another High School coach, college OC or AC.......

Time to bring in a "Bad Boy of College Football" to turn this program around!

1. He has a tough school and location to recruit to.

2. He faces two of the most formidable foes to recruit against in Texas in MB and Stoops at OU.

3. Leach is kicking his ass on a regular basis, and moving up the recruiting ladder.

4. His strength and conditioning program was Big 12 subpar up until about 2 years ago.

5. Reliance on JUCO's at aTm's level is alarming. Makes me wonder how good Flim Flam really is in mom and dad's living room.

1.  He has a tough school and location to recruit to.

2.  He faces two of the most formidable foes to recruit against in Texas in MB and Stoops at OU.

3.  Leach is kicking his ass on a regular basis, and moving up the recruiting ladder.

4.  His strength and conditioning program was Big 12 subpar up until about 2 years ago.

5.  Reliance on JUCO's at aTm's level is alarming.  Makes me wonder how good Flim Flam really is in mom and dad's living room.

This sounds a LOT like DD. LongJim, did DD steal your password and post under your member name??